Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I'll let you know when I get my big box version in a couple days :smuggo:

I love you hamburger nintendo guy but I still want to rob you blind, I'm sure you understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Spotted a few Aus goons, just wanted to offer my opinion. Don't deal with Retro games Australia. I dealt with the guy when his store was in Gladesville nsw. You have to put down $50 before he will do business with you if the item is not in store, he will not allow you to view the physical item before you buy it. You can see where this is going, I am an idiot for trusting him.

I bought a couple of items that he marked and charged as "excellent." One of them in particular was the worst condition box I have ever seen. Ripped, drawn all over, faded. Manuals were the same. I'd take a photo if my collection wasn't at my dad's house.

It's a shame, his store was quite good and his site seems to have some great stuff on his site.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

I love you hamburger nintendo guy but I still want to rob you blind, I'm sure you understand.

Hey I got my stuff for dirt cheap by luck or by doing favors! If you think I was going to pay $300 for a big box Terranigma, you crazy. Also my German friend found me a big box Super Metroid; so, ironically enough (not sure if I am using the term correctly) the only big box SNES game I do not own is the only US big box game there is...Earthbound!

Also: obtained the NES RGB PPUs before the huge NES RGB PPU craze of Q4 2012; got Demon's Crest and Lufia for $1 at a yard sale, and got my Gamecube component cables from someone who was selling an entire Gamecube lot for $45, and I was just lucky it was included in it.

The favors I've done to get some of this stuff though, I don't want to discuss, because, well, it could come back and haunt me if I ever want to run for office :ninja:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 22, 2012

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

the only big box SNES game I do not own is the only US big box game there is...Earthbound!

(And Super Scope 6 if I want to be a bigger smartass.)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Oh gently caress it's jailbars all over again! :v:

I had that big box Mario Paint though! Wish I still did. :smith:

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I saw this earlier today on Reddit and found it to be pretty cool. Apparently the guy scraped a database of 24,000 games since 1975 to determine genre and console. Its pretty cool seeing how console popularity has changed over time.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Supersonic posted:

I saw this earlier today on Reddit and found it to be pretty cool. Apparently the guy scraped a database of 24,000 games since 1975 to determine genre and console. Its pretty cool seeing how console popularity has changed over time.

I like how SNES has that tentacle that just slips into the year 2000. I wish NEO-GEO was broken out as a separate platform in there instead of just included in Arcade.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Space Harrier posted:

I remember being at Blockbuster when they were getting rid of SNES games and passed up a $15 copy of Chrono Trigger (with the original box!) for Top Gear Rally or some poo poo. What was wrong with me?

You were young and stupid. We've all been there. I passed up Super Mario RPG for Sonic 3D Blast. It wasn't even a good Sonic game.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

When the rental stores near me as a kid started closing shop and liquidating their stock, I don't think I ever saw any Squaresoft RPGs or any games still considered high-profile to this day in their sale bins. I'm betting the owners nabbed them up for themselves without telling anyone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Code Jockey posted:

I had that big box Mario Paint though! Wish I still did. :smith:

Same here, after seeing so many YouTube videos of people who have made insane music with it. I didn't start playing or writing music until a year or two after I lost my first SNES and all its games and I guess I was too young to try being creative or something. I do remember I made a lot of cute pictures though. :3:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Discount Viscount posted:

Isn't there a big box edition of Super Gameboy too, with the guide? (dunno if RGB has it or not)

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

Isn't there a big box edition of Super Gameboy too, with the guide? (dunno if RGB has it or not)

There is, I remember seeing it years ago... I think a rental place even had one.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Why hello there.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
Can anyone recommend some shelving solutions for holding a lot of games in universal game cases?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kreeblah posted:

Why hello there.

Niiiiice. Jealous! How much did it set you back? I forget if you mentioned.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Kreeblah posted:

Why hello there.

Make some good recordings of it, if you have hardware to do so! I've been wanting one just to mess with a MT-32 compatible tracker even though it's, at heart, a watered down Roland D-50

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Code Jockey posted:

Niiiiice. Jealous! How much did it set you back? I forget if you mentioned.

Well, I honestly could have gotten one for less if I'd been willing to keep an eye out, but I couldn't pass this up since it was basically brand new in the box with everything. The MIDI cable is even still sealed. But, to actually answer your question, it was right around $120, which is what most people seem to be selling them for without all the extras. So, even though I could have paid less, I'm still OK with the price.

ACID POLICE posted:

Make some good recordings of it, if you have hardware to do so! I've been wanting one just to mess with a MT-32 compatible tracker even though it's, at heart, a watered down Roland D-50

Unfortunately, I don't really have anything other than the crappy analog in lines on my computers. They're good enough for playing games with, but recording them is kinda iffy. I did record the opening to KQ4, though, which turned out pretty well for what I have available at the moment (that being my laptop and Windows Sound Recorder, which apparently only writes out WMA files now).

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Since we're posting images of our boxes (sounds kind of dirty):

Probably my most prized-game and it came in a box! The kicker? I paid $0.

It's virtually complete too.

F-Zero is my best-condition game and I imagine it's from that set that someone stumbled across as there is no way that someone owned this copy before me. However, my copy of Super Bomberman 2 is not in such a great box, but...

It still has its plastic wrapping and still has its manual and pamphlets.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I know I'm not the only person here who bought a sealed copy of f-Zero recently. Apparently, the players choice version is one of the most common sealed games out there. I already owned the game, but still picked up a copy for tenbux just for that new-old game smell. Plus, F-Zero kicks rear end.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOd0CEuB-dM

This is really appropriate considering who posted above me, but I had no idea that Space Harrier was ported to so many different consoles. I imagine the Famicom version came out before the Sega Master System and the GBA version came out after the Dreamcast (or did Sega do handheld games on other company's systems before leaving the hardware business altogether). All of the ports are pretty impressive considering what they were ported too, but my favorite part in the SMS and Game Gear versions (which should be the same thing, right?) is that the enemies look like flying jpeg images when they fly over the ground.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

OSI bean dip posted:

F-Zero is my best-condition game and I imagine it's from that set that someone stumbled across as there is no way that someone owned this copy before me. However, my copy of Super Bomberman 2 is not in such a great box, but...

I bought a copy of F-ZERO a few years ago for about $8. When I received it, it was in mint condition, factory sealed.

So I took it off and played my brand-spanking new SNES game. I guess I'm not the collector type. :shobon:

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Yeah, I was playing my copy of F-Zero just a couple of minutes ago. Finding a sealed SNES game was cool, but I'm not going to KEEP it sealed. Awesome games should be played!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

SpaceAceJase posted:

Does anyone know if the german version of Terranigma on SNES has an English text option?

It doesn't, neither do any of the other German big box versions. There's a reason why the German cartridge is like 15€ and the English one is 100GBP.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

the_lion posted:

Spotted a few Aus goons, just wanted to offer my opinion. Don't deal with Retro games Australia. I dealt with the guy when his store was in Gladesville nsw. You have to put down $50 before he will do business with you if the item is not in store, he will not allow you to view the physical item before you buy it. You can see where this is going, I am an idiot for trusting him.

I bought a couple of items that he marked and charged as "excellent." One of them in particular was the worst condition box I have ever seen. Ripped, drawn all over, faded. Manuals were the same. I'd take a photo if my collection wasn't at my dad's house.

It's a shame, his store was quite good and his site seems to have some great stuff on his site.

You need to give fifty dollars before he'll do business with you, what? Between that and the no-show policy, is he trying to be Wirt from Diablo 1? :psyduck:

Anyway, at least in regards to marking an item as excellent condition and then giving you a shitheap, isn't there somewhere in which you could register a complaint about this? Or at least some place to leave terrible feedback. I've been scammed by scumbag pawn shop staff before, and generally there's almost always somewhere you can go to do something to get at the very least some peace of mind in not having done nothing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

Unless I am remembering it wrong, I thought all Super Game Boy boxes were big. They'd at least have to be fairly large though, wouldn't they? I could have SWORN by Super Game Boy box as a kid was Earthbound sized yet it did not come with the player's guide. I of course could be wrong, though.

Discount Viscount posted:

That's kind of cheating because they come with accessories, and don't really have a non-big box equivalent. But why am I kidding; I need a nice shelf of all SNES big boxes, don't I? Man OCD is a hell of a disorder.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

SARGSS goons, check your email, pairings are going out now.

Have fun and happy retro surprising!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Unless I am remembering it wrong, I thought all Super Game Boy boxes were big. They'd at least have to be fairly large though, wouldn't they? I could have SWORN by Super Game Boy box as a kid was Earthbound sized yet it did not come with the player's guide. I of course could be wrong, though.

That's kind of cheating because they come with accessories, and don't really have a non-big box equivalent. But why am I kidding; I need a nice shelf of all SNES big boxes, don't I? Man OCD is a hell of a disorder.

Check these out man. There are two boxes that exist:

The second one may be larger than normal, but the first is the one that comes with the guide and is Big Box sized.

(now collect them all!)

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Midnight Raider posted:

You need to give fifty dollars before he'll do business with you, what? Between that and the no-show policy, is he trying to be Wirt from Diablo 1? :psyduck:

Anyway, at least in regards to marking an item as excellent condition and then giving you a shitheap, isn't there somewhere in which you could register a complaint about this? Or at least some place to leave terrible feedback. I've been scammed by scumbag pawn shop staff before, and generally there's almost always somewhere you can go to do something to get at the very least some peace of mind in not having done nothing.

Yeah, the $50 is the minimum you have to spend. I don't know if he still has this policy, i think i bought it in 2009-2010. In hindsight, if i could travel back in time and punch my stupider,then naive self in the face just before giving him my money i would do that.

I'll probably google him and post some reviews around the web. Not sure why i didn't at the time, though i would take a guess and say that was around the time i was extremely sick/ill. Googling it seems to show that i am not the only person with poor feedback.
http://palgn.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=58081
http://palgn.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=30848&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

thedouche posted:

This is really appropriate considering who posted above me, but I had no idea that Space Harrier was ported to so many different consoles. I imagine the Famicom version came out before the Sega Master System and the GBA version came out after the Dreamcast (or did Sega do handheld games on other company's systems before leaving the hardware business altogether). All of the ports are pretty impressive considering what they were ported too, but my favorite part in the SMS and Game Gear versions (which should be the same thing, right?) is that the enemies look like flying jpeg images when they fly over the ground.

Keep in mind that everything in that video was emulated though which does to it's credit improve the graphics, it's hard to properly emulate the sound though.
Also, they didn't show the X68000 version! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO5X-o1rYKM

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

precision posted:

Same here, after seeing so many YouTube videos of people who have made insane music with it.

I'm pretty sure most of the crazy songs are made with a hacked ROM version or something, aren't they?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

triplexpac posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the crazy songs are made with a hacked ROM version or something, aren't they?

They all use Mario Paint Composer, which is a PC program based on Mario Paint.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

zenintrude posted:

They all use Mario Paint Composer, which is a PC program based on Mario Paint.

Not all of them. This guy, for example, uses the regular game. He just edits the video to create longer songs than the game would allow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDh-73XHvcg

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

I bought a copy of F-ZERO a few years ago for about $8. When I received it, it was in mint condition, factory sealed.

So I took it off and played my brand-spanking new SNES game. I guess I'm not the collector type. :shobon:

There are billions of copies of F-ZERO and I guess someone robbed a warehouse this year because boxes just suddenly sprung up everywhere. At one point you could get a factory warehouse box with 6 sealed games for 50 ducats.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

There are at LEAST four auctions for unopened cases of F-Zero on ebay. Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-S...=item460a269b46

If I owned a retro game shop, I'd be all over this. Still, just bought a sealed copy for $12

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hammond Edgar posted:

Not all of them. This guy, for example, uses the regular game. He just edits the video to create longer songs than the game would allow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDh-73XHvcg

Yeah I was talking about those kind, but then I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR5w01z2ryI

:stare:

That's friggin' awesome. Less awesome than I would have thought before I knew how sheet music works, but still.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

al-azad posted:

There are billions of copies of F-ZERO and I guess someone robbed a warehouse this year because boxes just suddenly sprung up everywhere. At one point you could get a factory warehouse box with 6 sealed games for 50 ducats.
Maaaan, why can't somebody find a warehouse full of Little Samson carts? :(

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

I'm thankful for hanging out in this thread with all you peeps. Serious retro post. Happy Thanksgiving to all you US folks.

For the benefit of non-Americans, thanksgiving is when you had to go over to a relative's house and play mirror universe games you only played once a year. Like how I would go play up to level 3 on Zelda because I never had enough time or skill to play further. Next year, I'd start again because my file would be deleted probably the next day.

Post your weird Thanksgiving retro games memories ITT while you are waiting for your secret Santa stuff to show up.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Antillese posted:

I'm thankful for hanging out in this thread with all you peeps. Serious retro post. Happy Thanksgiving to all you US folks.

For the benefit of non-Americans, thanksgiving is when you had to go over to a relative's house and play mirror universe games you only played once a year. Like how I would go play up to level 3 on Zelda because I never had enough time or skill to play further. Next year, I'd start again because my file would be deleted probably the next day.

Post your weird Thanksgiving retro games memories ITT while you are waiting for your secret Santa stuff to show up.

All my brothers and cousins playing NES while my parents and aunts and uncles were yelling at us because they were eating without us. Also brought Final Fantasy 6 to my aunt's house because I just got it in 1994 and there was no way I was going to be kept from it. I spent the entire day trying to figure out how to get the cider to the Cider Guy in South Figaro for 12 hours without realizing that doesn't happen until the scenarios later in the game. Still worth it :allears:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of Little Samson, it was one of the first NES games I completed start to finish. I remember a Thanksgiving (or other fall holiday) playing it from start to finish in front of a crowd of cousins who looked at the TV in awe of the fast paced action.

I have a confession: I have never beaten any NES Mario game. I beat all the Mario games on All-Stars, even Lost Levels, but I just can't power through the original games in one sitting without skipping levels. I am thankful for battery backups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

thedouche posted:

The ports on Japanese 8-bit computers are interesting too.

Sharp X1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUad5VrOQsY
Fujitsu FM77AV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX7nhdesPE0
NEC PC-6001 mkII: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WYEpH-bKDs

And finally, the Sharp MZ-700: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs-4Zu0DN2g

The FM77 port is pretty drat good, the others (especially the MZ-700 one :laffo:) are pretty bad graphically. You have to admit though, they really tried!

Edit: There's a PC-88 port too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeHm30hty98

Most of these were ported by Dempa, who also did the X68000 port.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 23, 2012

• Locked thread