Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ashen Karshe
Mar 29, 2012
So I just got my Wii U and updated it and was all excited. But I keep getting "Invalid Disc" errors on both NSMBU and Nintendo Land. Anyone else get this and have a fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005
Seems like there went another update out, YouTube app is updating now.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
The Youtube app is really bad. Just stick to watching stuff in the web browser.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ashen Karshe posted:

So I just got my Wii U and updated it and was all excited. But I keep getting "Invalid Disc" errors on both NSMBU and Nintendo Land. Anyone else get this and have a fix?

If it's happening with two discs...

High-probability option: Bum disc drive, contact Nintendo
Low-probability option: Two bum discs, you won some awful lottery
Comedy option: If your console is standing upright, make sure you're inserting discs with the label facing to the right

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I probably only use the Youtube app on HD videos for the tv, as I don't know how well the browser would handle playing those. I really don't get why the app version of Youtube always has the "hide restricted content" option. It so annoying going to your favorite video page and seeing holes because something can't be seen due to a flag.

Ashen Karshe
Mar 29, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

Comedy option: If your console is standing upright, make sure you're inserting discs with the label facing to the right

My friend almost put the disc in upside down to "fix" the problem. I nearly had to strike his hand away.

But yeah seems like I'll need to exchange it. I'll have to wait until Friday because of Thanksgiving and Gamestop being closed.

travislopes
Jun 4, 2011
If anyone is still looking for a Wii U, GameStop has the Basic and Deluxe versions in stock right now.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I can't believe Sonic Racing was only $40, I wish I'd known sooner. Pretty awesome game, reminds me of Diddy Kong Racing minus all the weird overworld wandering. Never expected the cool variety of non-Sonic characters and levels either.

My only complaint is that you can't have two people playing as the same character online, apparently. I leveled Tails, damnit. Everyone stop picking Tails.

Skunk Ape fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 22, 2012

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Eh, nevermind. The App is just so awful looking that I just deleted it. I don't like how the Hulu, Amazon, and Youtube app don't show any menus on the gamepad, forcing you to the tv. Oh well,.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

The Youtube app is really bad. Just stick to watching stuff in the web browser.

Yeah, it's very dissapointing. I don't know why they didn't add any gamepad support other than using it to show video descriptions. It's such a convoluted mess right now.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Does anyone have that post for how to fix the echoing audio issue? I was able to get the TV to stop cutting off the edge of the screen but the audio echo is REALLY jarring when you're in miiverse for a while.

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 22, 2012

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Ashen Karshe posted:

Are the disks the correct region?

Ashen Karshe
Mar 29, 2012

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Are the disks the correct region?

According to the discs and console they are.

Good Party Dad
May 10, 2006
Me fail english, thats unpossible!

Ashen Karshe posted:

This happened to me with scribblenauts, and then went away... So hoping that happens for you too :)

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Anyone else having a problem registering a nintendo network id? Is it possible to just do it online instead of through the console?Í

Everything on the system seems to take a bit to kick in, like going to stuff like the system settings :/

Ashen Karshe
Mar 29, 2012

Good Party Dad posted:

This happened to me with scribblenauts, and then went away... So hoping that happens for you too :)

Yeah I keep ejecting the disc every now and then hoping it'll magically remember how to read.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ashen Karshe posted:

Did the games themselves happen to have updates? It seems like every app or game I play for the first time has to download a small update first. Not sure if the updates are required for the games to work, or if those games even had updates (I don't remember).

Ashen Karshe
Mar 29, 2012

Droid Washington posted:

Did the games themselves happen to have updates? It seems like every app or game I play for the first time has to download a small update first. Not sure if the updates are required for the games to work, or if those games even had updates (I don't remember).

It doesn't even get that far. When I put the disc in it just says "Invalid Disc" on the square.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rawrbomb posted:

Anyone else having a problem registering a nintendo network id? Is it possible to just do it online instead of through the console?Í

Everything on the system seems to take a bit to kick in, like going to stuff like the system settings :/

I'm at my parents house and all the Internet functions were a bit off. Not sure if that was their crappy Internet or an issue with nintendo's servers. I restarted the wii and it seems fine now.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Droid Washington posted:

My Sonic Racing said it couldn't be read the first time I tried it, then I popped it in and out, it started the update the next time, and then was fine. Maybe it has something to do with the updating process.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Stuck on a preparing update for a game, bit scared to reboot after all the doom and gloom with bricking during system updates.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Calaveron posted:

It's been two days now and I still can't get over the fact I'm playing a Mario game in HD :psyduck:
God, I'm so eager to see what their Metroid, Zelda, Pikmin, and other franchises are like in HD.

A little late but I can attest that Pikmin 3 LOOKS absolutely phenomenal from what I saw at NYCC. It's basically the perfect game for showing what this system can do. The little details of the armored bug boss's shell cracking when you threw Rock Pikmin at him was basically what won me over on the Wii U.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
So far, things have been going relatively smoothly for the few hours I've been playing Nintendo Land. Only two notable issues:

1) I hit the Home button while playing Nintendo Land, and tried to return to the Wii U Menu. It got hung up when trying to load the menu, though, so after 5 or so minutes, I had to pull the plug (couldn't turn off console any other way).

2) I got that lovely freeze/buzz bug while playing Nintendo Land.

So far as we can tell, these are just software/OS issues, correct?

Also, I was able to fix the slight delay/slightly out of sync audio between my gamepad and T.V. Had to switch the A/V setting on my T.V. to "Game mode," and that made things nice and smooth.

XOIC of Radishes fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 22, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

axeil posted:

I'm at my parents house and all the Internet functions were a bit off. Not sure if that was their crappy Internet or an issue with nintendo's servers. I restarted the wii and it seems fine now.

GameStop stores sold a large number of systems to customers throughout today, so it may have just been their servers.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I hate to say it, but Miiverse is really neat.

raito
Sep 13, 2012

nerdbot posted:

A little late but I can attest that Pikmin 3 LOOKS absolutely phenomenal from what I saw at NYCC. It's basically the perfect game for showing what this system can do. The little details of the armored bug boss's shell cracking when you threw Rock Pikmin at him was basically what won me over on the Wii U.

Nintendo does what other developers don't. It's why I love their games - each aspect of their games looks (and probably is) hand-placed. It gives it a lot of personality that a lot of other developers don't give their games.

More excited than anything to see what Retro has been working on. If they could do the Prime trilogy on Gamecube/Wii technology, I think they'll blow us away with what they do on an HD system.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah I'm really surprised with Miiverse. I just spent like half an hour making posts and replying to some. It's also great seeing what other people are saying about games I don't have right from the home screen and holy crap some people have talent drawing on the game pad. Miiverse integration with games is gonna be really awesome if devs do it right

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Jim Dynasty Warriors Fan #1 Sterling posted his review of WO3 and it isn't pretty

http://www.destructoid.com/review-warriors-orochi-3-hyper-239067.phtml

Although comparing it to his DW Next vita review I think this man is smoking heavy crack. I never did play the 360/PS3 versions of WO3 but the Wii U game plays exponentially better than DW Next did on Vita. He gave the Vita game a 6/10.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

flyboi posted:

Jim Dynasty Warriors Fan #1 Sterling posted his review of WO3 and it isn't pretty

http://www.destructoid.com/review-warriors-orochi-3-hyper-239067.phtml

Although comparing it to his DW Next vita review I think this man is smoking heavy crack. I never did play the 360/PS3 versions of WO3 but the Wii U game plays exponentially better than DW Next did on Vita. He gave the Vita game a 6/10.

I do remember an interview on eurogamer where the director or whoever said that they had a bit of trouble due to the CPU (I am not trying to harp about this, honest!)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Unlucky7 posted:

I do remember an interview on eurogamer where the director or whoever said that they had a bit of trouble due to the CPU (I am not trying to harp about this, honest!)

I would imagine if you had played it previously this would be a big problem but for someone who never played WO3 the game runs just as good as DW Next Vita did. His review seemed to start out with praise and then he ripped it to shreds because it's not as good as PS3/360. I dunno, I like it I just wish I could understand how he rated it below DW Next that game was a pile of poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If the rewviewer wasn't Jim Sterling I'd say that it's because the Vita is unambiguously less powerful than the PS3 so it's more excusable that the game might not run as well as the console version, but because the review is Jim Sterling I'm gonna wager it's because Jim Sterling.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I'm only getting PCM 2.0 instead of 5.1 with my Wii U hooked up to my receiver via HDMI. In the system settings I made sure that Surround was selected, and when I do the chime test, it sounds like I get it from all speakers. While using Netflix, I only get sound coming out of my two front speakers, and I can't even switch to Dolby Pro Logic II since it's forcing 2.0. Same thing while playing Nintendoland and NSMBU.

The only other place I can find any mention of this is on another forum where people are reporting the same thing. I'm sure it's not my receiver or the HDMI cable, because I can get DTS-HD Master Audio and uncompressed PCM 5.1 no problem with my Blu-ray player.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I just saw the Wii file transfer animation, and it's the best thing. <3 u Nintendo.
How does the transfer work? Do you use the SD card?

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Got my Wii U Premium Set ordered from Gamestop last night, as it came back in stock. Should be here Monday or Tuesday. :)

I'm so excited.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Is Nintendoland worth picking up if I don't really have anyone to play it with (:smith:)? I want to get rid of some old games and am feeling lazy so I'm gonna truck the lot to Gamestop and see what I can get.
I liked some of the single player stuff so far, although I can't say whether that'd be worth $60 just for them unless there's like a shitload of levels for the good ones...I couldn't even pass the first DK level.

Speaking of which I drew a Miiverse post in the middle of the failures and already got a few Yeahs by the time I finished playing not long after. Pretty cool that the whole community idea is already working out like that.

Ashen Karshe posted:

Got the same thing with Nintendo Land on first tries so far (albeit just twice), but ejecting or rebooting worked to get it going. Haven't tried any other games yet but I'm hoping it's just some early funkiness :ohdear:. The shipping box it came in was kind of caved in on the side but the Wii U box was ok.

axeil posted:

Does anyone have that post for how to fix the echoing audio issue? I was able to get the TV to stop cutting off the edge of the screen but the audio echo is REALLY jarring when you're in miiverse for a while.
Is there any type of auto sync option for this? It'd be nice since the gamepad already has a mic, and I've heard they have a patent for the process for that. My TV had a chunk of audio lag too, even after adjusting as much as I could settings wise on it to compensate it was still behind a bit.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

horriblePencilist posted:

I just saw the Wii file transfer animation, and it's the best thing. <3 u Nintendo.
How does the transfer work? Do you use the SD card?

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_system_transfer.jsp

You do need an SD card and have to download a special app/channel on the Wii and Wii U.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 22, 2012

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009
Got a deluxe from Target today. In complete love with this thing. The gamepad is outstanding and exceeds all of my expectations.

It froze once for me though, but I'm hoping they iron that stuff out soon.

Call me crazy, but this feels pretty "next gen."

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just to make sure, can you use an old Wiimote with the Motion+ dongle for multiplayer or does it have to be the newer model they released a while back? The OP doesn't state anything.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lodin posted:

Just to make sure, can you use an old Wiimote with the Motion+ dongle for multiplayer or does it have to be the newer model they released a while back? The OP doesn't state anything.

You can use either. I've used both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Anyone else notice the discs are rounded at the edge? Feels weird.

• Locked thread