Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

You can use either. I've used both.
Thanks. Would have been pretty sad to sit there on launch with four other people and only play New Super Mario and Nintendo Land in single player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

horriblePencilist posted:

I just saw the Wii file transfer animation, and it's the best thing. <3 u Nintendo.

Ohhhh my goooood go little Pikmin you can do it :3:

nerdbot posted:

A little late but I can attest that Pikmin 3 LOOKS absolutely phenomenal from what I saw at NYCC. It's basically the perfect game for showing what this system can do. The little details of the armored bug boss's shell cracking when you threw Rock Pikmin at him was basically what won me over on the Wii U.
Yeah, I couldn't care less about third party games, I pretty much bought a Wii U exclusively to play first and second party. I hope Nintendo can do some insane things with this little machine and controller.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Anyone else notice the discs are rounded at the edge? Feels weird.

I guess that means I'll have to stick to using PS3 and Xbox disks as ammo for my Decap-o-Matic 9000 :science:.

Lodin posted:

Just to make sure, can you use an old Wiimote with the Motion+ dongle for multiplayer or does it have to be the newer model they released a while back? The OP doesn't state anything.

There's no difference (to the system OS/game) between a motion+ dongle and a full motion+ wiimote.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I just saw the Wii file transfer animation, and it's the best thing. <3 u Nintendo.
How does the transfer work? Do you use the SD card?

I am beyond impressed with the level of effort Nintendo put into this. I remember transferring the data from my old fat PS3 to my slim and it was just a black screen with a thin yellowish line, but this is like "hey have fun while you wait!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sonic and All Star Racing is way better than I expected it to be even with that bug that renders one course unwinnable. My big problem with it, though, is it's yet another game where 95% of the content isn't available the first time you start it up. I've got people coming over in a few hours and we're going to get some five player WiiU action going on but I need to unlock as much as possible so we have some tracks and racers to select from.

It doesn't help that the game is way harder than I expected it would be.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Go go little Pikmin! You can do it! :3:

I have to say, that transfer animation is really really cool! I wouldn't mind sitting and waiting for it to finish, since I'd be staring at that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You can play the single-player modes with multiple people and still unlock stuff, can't you? Better than nothing, I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The new eShop thread is up - I'm not quite lucid at the moment, so if you wanna list your WiiWare/Wii VC recs in there I'll add 'em to the OP soon:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518750

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever
Anyone else having gamepad to console link issues? My gamepad will disconnect randomly from the console even if I'm not more than five feet away and there are nothing between the console and the pad :( It's breaking the fun in games.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Will they be adding demos to the shop? That would be cool.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Will they be adding demos to the shop? That would be cool.

Yep. http://www.digitalspy.com.au/gaming/news/a439888/rayman-legends-wii-u-demo-confirmed-for-european-launch.html

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Did anyone from Europe/Australia/others import the Wii U? I remember a lot of people importing the 3DS when it came out in Japan first.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Steam needs to be on this console. I would love playing Amnesia with the gamepad.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Ciaphas posted:

I was thinking Assassin's Creed 3 if only for the multiplayer, but that's out on PC and that's my preferred platform. :(

It's cheaper on PC too - $50 on Steam right now.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

SyRauk posted:

Steam needs to be on this console. I would love playing Amnesia with the gamepad.

Just because Steam would be on the Wii U doesn't mean you could play all it's games on the console. If anything, Amnesia is more likely to appear on the eShop.

However, Steam on the Wii U makes a lot of sense. There was some talk about Valve talking with Nintendo, we have Valve wanting to branch out and explore other gameplay methods beside M&K and Nintendo wants to incorporate 3rd parties as much as possible. Additionally, keep in mind that the eShop is really flexible, allows free patches and Wii U's programming environment is reportedly very easy and allows porting without too much of a hassle.
So all in all, Steam would seem like a pretty solid and highly plausible idea.
The only part that could get problematic is the DRM and pricing. Take Scribblenauts Unlimited for example; it's $50 for the Wii U, but only $30 for Steam. If you bought it for Steam, would you get it for the Wii U as well, only much cheaper?
There's a lot of ambiguous stuff, such as what games carry over, how much percentage do either parties get and more.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Has anyone seen any Black Friday deals for WiiU games or anything? Im also looking for a harddrive for this guy. Since it needs to be dedicated a huge drive is overkill. I'm hoping to find a smaller drive for cheap, preferably one that is just usb powered. I saw a 500G one for 39.99 on BestBuy's website. I dont know if it will get better then that. Im not going to fill up 500 gigs with WiiU games ever.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bombadilillo posted:

Im not going to fill up 500 gigs with WiiU games ever.

Given that games can be up to 25GB, it seems rather shortsighted to buy a 0.5TB now and possibly run into storage issues three years down the line when you can get a 1TB or higher for maybe $20 more (not exactly certain about US HDD prices). If you're going fully digital you might as well get the futureproof option, especially since you're already pissing away money.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

Ohhhh my goooood go little Pikmin you can do it :3:

Yeah, I couldn't care less about third party games, I pretty much bought a Wii U exclusively to play first and second party. I hope Nintendo can do some insane things with this little machine and controller.

This is what a Nintendo system is more or less for: The games that are exclusive to it. Most of the good ones will be 1st party, but there will be some really good 3rd party stuff too (ZombiU us a good early surprise on that front) But ports are probably not going to be its strong suit.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Bombadilillo posted:

Has anyone seen any Black Friday deals for WiiU games or anything? Im also looking for a harddrive for this guy. Since it needs to be dedicated a huge drive is overkill. I'm hoping to find a smaller drive for cheap, preferably one that is just usb powered. I saw a 500G one for 39.99 on BestBuy's website. I dont know if it will get better then that. Im not going to fill up 500 gigs with WiiU games ever.

Last night I upgraded to a 500GB PS3. 465GB was usable. Installed about 30% of my games (about 5 games plus patches and DLC), available space is now 400GB.

Basically, don't count your gigs before they've hatched or some poo poo like that, I guess.

There are some very real reasons that a lot of dedicated pc users have multi-terabyte drives in their systems.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Anyone else notice the discs are rounded at the edge? Feels weird.

Every time I put a game in around someone who hasn't seen it before I make them touch the discount edge. Rounded edges on optical media is really jarring.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Bombadilillo posted:

Has anyone seen any Black Friday deals for WiiU games or anything?

Toys R Us has Buy One, Get One 40% off.
Target has B2 Get 50% off a third.

Those are the only deals I know of right now.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Soul Glo posted:

There are some very real reasons that a lot of dedicated pc users have multi-terabyte drives in their systems.

Yeah, because pirated HD movies are 5-12gb on average.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
The Amazon Video app is really freaking sluggish compared to the PS3's. Being able to search with the gamepad should facilitate things, but in my experience it's so slow and cumbersome that it's better to just use the directional buttons and find your stuff the old-fashioned way. Video playback is flawless though. I'm currently sitting in my pajamas, watching Christmas Vacation on my Wii U on Thanksgiving, and everything is right with the world.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

I'm finding the Wii U to be quite awesome so far. Got a Deluxe and was watching a movie on the PS3 last night and decided to do a little surfing with the GamePad. The browser is impressively functional, and I really like the tabbed browsing. This will work very well as an internet tablet when you're on the couch and don't want to interrupt whatever you're doing.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Is wonderful the right word to describe that? :allears:

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Ashen Karshe posted:

So I just got my Wii U and updated it and was all excited. But I keep getting "Invalid Disc" errors on both NSMBU and Nintendo Land. Anyone else get this and have a fix?

I had the very same issue (Wii games wouldn't work in Wii mode as well). I ended up calling Nintendo to have it repaired since I already set it up with a Wii transfer and created a Nintendo ID on it.

It seems a few machines' drives are DOA out of the box; I definitely wasn't the first the Nintendo CSR had dealt with about this issue on Tuesday. They seemed to be really curious if this was happening before the initial mega-patch as well.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Does anyone notice serious lag with the Pro Controller. I'm using it to play Ninja Gaiden 3 right now and there's about a second delay between me pressing the stick and a reaction on screen. This goes away when I plug the controller into the Wii U.

Good Party Dad
May 10, 2006
Me fail english, thats unpossible!

parasyte posted:

Toys R Us has Buy One, Get One 40% off.
Target has B2 Get 50% off a third.

Those are the only deals I know of right now.

Fifa 13 for the Wii U is supposed to be 25$ on Amazon Thursday 1:10 pm - 5:10 pm PST. And if you go to Old Navy and buy some amount of clothes ($40?), they give you a copy of the Super Mario Wii U game. But I think the Old Navy one is one of those extremely limited quantities things.

Good Party Dad fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 22, 2012

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah, because pirated HD movies are 5-12gb on average.

While true, Steam will also wreck your hard drive too, and plenty of people (me included) pay real money for that.

Just making the point that while digital distribution is awesome, a lot of people will have their first experience with it on Wii U and be in for a rude awakening once they realize just how much space HD games can take up.

e: Honestly, it's a good idea to enact the television rule: Always buy one size bigger than you think you need. Won't be a waste while also circumventing possible regret.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 22, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Soul Glo posted:

While true, Steam will also wreck your hard drive too, and plenty of people (me included) pay real money for that.

Just making the point that while digital distribution is awesome, a lot of people will have their first experience with it on Wii U and be in for a rude awakening once they realize just how much space HD games can take up.

But eventually the price of hard drives will drop more and adding an extra terabyte will only cost $50.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
No new items on the eShip today. :smith:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It could have a different update day, or they might feel it's too soon for an update when we're less than a week in. Update day on the Wii Shop Channel was Monday.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, they have a ton of stuff on there already. I wouldn't be surprised if there's no update next week either. Bet the first update comes early December.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Supercar Gautier posted:

It could have a different update day, or they might feel it's too soon for an update when we're less than a week in. Update day on the Wii Shop Channel was Monday.

Yeah it was until last year so when it was moved to Thursday.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

This is amazing... It's kind of awesome that they did this animation just for the transfer process. Makes me want to go do it right now!

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Has anyone played Trine 2 on the Wii U? Information, at least that I can find, seems lacking. I'm thinking about getting it for the console, but Steam has a pretty nice sale on it at the moment.

If it's fun on the Wii U and my girlfriend and I can play it together with minimal headaches, I'd spend the extra money.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I won't be picking up a Wii U until Christmas, but I'm really glad you guys are having so much fun with it :unsmith: I can't wait!

Chewable Gore
Dec 27, 2005

Aim for the head.

Random Stranger posted:

Sonic and All Star Racing is way better than I expected it to be even with that bug that renders one course unwinnable. My big problem with it, though, is it's yet another game where 95% of the content isn't available the first time you start it up. I've got people coming over in a few hours and we're going to get some five player WiiU action going on but I need to unlock as much as possible so we have some tracks and racers to select from.

It doesn't help that the game is way harder than I expected it would be.

Not sure if it's still helpful to you, but fear not!

You can play any part of the game with 5 players. So your friends can help you unlock stuff.

I'd suggest doing all the different grand prix (mirror included) for 2 character unlocks, then do the world tour stuff, a 3rd one will come very quickly. Then go from there.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Smuckles posted:

Has anyone played Trine 2 on the Wii U? Information, at least that I can find, seems lacking. I'm thinking about getting it for the console, but Steam has a pretty nice sale on it at the moment.

If it's fun on the Wii U and my girlfriend and I can play it together with minimal headaches, I'd spend the extra money.
Can't help you out myself, but I just realized Miiverse might be useful for this type of thing too...if only at 100 characters (or a drawing) at a time. Ask about it or skim its thread for complaints and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

japtor posted:

Can't help you out myself, but I just realized Miiverse might be useful for this type of thing too...if only at 100 characters (or a drawing) at a time. Ask about it or skim its thread for complaints and stuff.

This is seriously one of my favorite things about Miiverse (and by extension the Wii U). If I'm interested in a game, all I have to do is hop over to its community and look for someone asking about how good it is or people complaining about bugs/glitches. It helps a lot for the eShop games, because there are almost no reviews out for them.

• Locked thread