Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

brb

apatite fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

The winter of 2009 spilled over into the spring of 2010, and we found ourselves still cutting firewood in an attempt to clean up from the 2008 storm, but also enjoying the stream, the woods, and the free food. (leeks/ramps for those that don't know. They are a stinky stinky delicious wild onion)

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 21, 2015

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Well being a bit stubborn, I kept at it still. It was actually starting to go pretty well, even. Got some ditches dug, the first culvert in, and started using geo-textile fabric on the road with a layer of purchased gravel over top.

It was still really, really wet though. More wet than it had been since 2007 when we first came here. This is shown by the stream running like never before:

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 21, 2015

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

brb

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 21, 2015

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Some friends of mine as well as my parents have gone through similar projects as you are now. All I can say is good luck and I look forward to updates. What kind of structure are you planning on building?

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
I have always fantasized about doing what you are doing but the sheer amount of work has always been too intimidating. Keep on living the dream man, the sense of accomplishment once you are finished is going to be astronomical.

Do you have any floor plans drawn out for the house yet or any aerial photos of the land?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Oh man, looks like you guys are off to a crazy start! Good luck and keep us updated. I love stuff like this. My fiance and I are sometime in the future going to build a home on his family's ranch. It's about 8,000 acres and there are a total of four people living on the property. So it's... pretty rural haha.

I wanna take down some of the old stone fences on the property and build a stone house. Maybe in 10 years or so :)

Discomedusae
Jul 13, 2009

I love these threads, they always bring me back to this subforum. I'll be following yours for sure, it looks like a great spot.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
Love the thread so far but I've got to ask, why not rent an actual bulldozer with tracks instead of a wheeled backhoe?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Elston Gunn posted:

Some friends of mine as well as my parents have gone through similar projects as you are now. All I can say is good luck and I look forward to updates. What kind of structure are you planning on building?

Thanks for the well wishes! Do you have any depressing or hilarious stories to share about the other projects? :)

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 21, 2015

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

brb

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 21, 2015

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

The road was coming along, but it was almost the end of August and progress was not fast enough to be done by winter.

The clearing was also coming along, but still not quickly enough either.

Going to take a break here, for a Public Service Announcement regarding the American Beech tree. These things are nasty bastards and we consider them an invasive species, even though they are native. If one dies, 50 grow from its corpse. Saplings will sprout from the roots of mature trees, and if you cut one down, this is the disgusting world-taking over zombie action that happens in less than a month:

Our forest was logged 20-30years ago, and everywhere a big tree was cut down, 75,000,000 beech trees have sprung up. They grow into thickets so thick you can hardly see through them when they have no leaves. They spread through the understory of the forest and destroy every view that might be nice.

Between rocks, mud, the porcupines that eat our hemlocks, the coyotes that eat our rabbits/grouse, and beech trees, we have made a lot of enemies already in the woods :black101:

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 21, 2015

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
This is awesome. I'd love to do something similar someday for a cabin/getaway. Where are you generally in the NE? I live in PA and our area is under a gas boom so land is even more expensive than before.

I'm hoping once all the drilling is done I'll be able to find a pretty decent chunk in 20-30 years within 30 or so minutes of my house.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

---

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 21, 2015

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

This is insanely cool and I love it all.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Yeah, this is great. I bought my first house 2 years ago on a 0.16 acre lot and I really wish I had more land to work with, even just 5 acres.

How far are you from anything else, like your workplace?

Are you concerned about all the rock when it comes time to drill a well?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Yeah, this is great. I bought my first house 2 years ago on a 0.16 acre lot and I really wish I had more land to work with, even just 5 acres.

How far are you from anything else, like your workplace?

Are you concerned about all the rock when it comes time to drill a well?

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 21, 2015

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

This is awesome and I'm so stoked to read about what you've been up to. I'd love to be able to do something like Thais some day , though maybe not starting quite as much from scratch as you are!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Plus_Infinity posted:

This is awesome and I'm so stoked to read about what you've been up to. I'd love to be able to do something like Thais some day , though maybe not starting quite as much from scratch as you are!

Thanks! Starting from scratch is fun, but also terrifying, stressful, tiring, and so on. Just have to try to keep a positive attitude throughout. The "ups" will far outweigh the "downs" and on those days it sure does feel awesome to be alive and doing what we love.

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 21, 2015

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Poor dumb dead trees, they didn't even see it coming.

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 21, 2015

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

-

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 21, 2015

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

<there was stuff here and i'll put it back shortly>

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 21, 2015

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
Your shitter image reminded me of the latest Kevin McCloud television show, Man Made Home. It's on youtube for UK residents, so find a way around that and you'll love it. He builds an off grid weekend getaway "shed" from garbage and reclaimed scrap. Including a hot tub from a 737 engine cowling and a biogas collector from his outdoor toilet.

I like your project OP. Best of luck.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Love it, give no fucks and live like a modern viking.

Seriously though with all that rock, it's time to invest in a good stone drill and some explosives. Teach that poo poo who's boss.

Either that or get a pickaxe and get swole as gently caress as you dig out the spaces you need for your cistern and such.

Have you found any really red earth on your land? Or any iron ore bodies nearby?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

Your shitter image reminded me of the latest Kevin McCloud television show, Man Made Home. It's on youtube for UK residents, so find a way around that and you'll love it. He builds an off grid weekend getaway "shed" from garbage and reclaimed scrap. Including a hot tub from a 737 engine cowling and a biogas collector from his outdoor toilet.

I like your project OP. Best of luck.

Sounds awesome, will take a look around to see if it can be located. Biogas collecting shitter? I'll take two! how was he utilizing the biogas?

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 21, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

apatite posted:

Sounds awesome, will take a look around to see if it can be located. Biogas collecting shitter? I'll take two! how was he utilizing the biogas?

We have used a hammer drill to put some anchors into a rock for our pole mounted photovoltaic setup, and I was amazed at how well it worked. It was quicker than drilling through mild steel which seemed odd but what do I know?

Mild steel doesn't shatter, most of the rocks you'll find that near the surface do. Makes life a lot easier! :D

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 21, 2015

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

-

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 21, 2015

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

apatite posted:

Cooking!
Seriously, find a way to watch it. You won't be sorry. It's on youtube, just find an open UK proxy.
http://www.youtube.com/show/kevinmccloudsmanmadehome
Highlights.
Turning a early 20th century safe into a woodburning stove.
Making his own glass window panes on site from silica sand.
Splitting the timber cut down on site with gunpowder.
Building a porch chair with scrap dredged from london canals with magnets.
Making glue from rabbit skins.

It was a great series. Find a way to watch it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

apatite posted:

We have used a hammer drill to put some anchors into a rock for our pole mounted photovoltaic setup, and I was amazed at how well it worked. It was quicker than drilling through mild steel which seemed odd but what do I know?

Not getting into the explosives stuff, probably already on enough government lists as it is :D The pickaxe sucks to use but it does work OK. Going to put the cistern on the porch for now, sucks to lose the space but winter is here and we still aren't ready... There is some redish earth, but not "really red" although there is a giant abandoned iron mine about 20miles away. What kind of awesome project are you proposing here?? :f5:

Iron mine you say? Excellent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomery

You have an awful lot of wood on your property just begging to be made into charcoal.

E: seriously, look how loving cool this is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWxs7ZV5Ly8

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 28, 2012

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Slung Blade posted:

Iron mine you say? Excellent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomery

You have an awful lot of wood on your property just begging to be made into charcoal.

E: seriously, look how loving cool this is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWxs7ZV5Ly8

Holy poo poo! Talk about living like a modern viking... :black101:

I want to make a wood gasifier to power an old toyota 22r and then hook a generator head to it to give us large amounts of AC power. Should be a great source for an overwhelming amount of charcoal. That wiki article has a great idea about using a waterwheel to power a bellows to scale it up, too. Would be a perfect compliment to the native clay bread oven the wife wants me to build her :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Check this out :

http://otherpower.com/steamengine.html

Otherpower's got a ton of interesting things, but I -really- want to build one of these up myself at some point just to have one.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
I love these types of threads. Nice job man!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Thanks again everybody! If this thread had gotten little or no response it probably would have been closed already but since you seem to like it I'll keep going :)

Imgur is being a pain in the rear end right now, really wish waffleimages lived on. Will post some more throughout the day though, we're almost caught up to "current"

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

sun rising over the rock ridge to the south pic

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 21, 2015

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Just wanted to post that I love the progress we've seen so far, the building stage is always my favorite. Something about framing is inherently entertaining to me for some reason. I hope to build a cabin like this someday!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

Just wanted to post that I love the progress we've seen so far, the building stage is always my favorite. Something about framing is inherently entertaining to me for some reason. I hope to build a cabin like this someday!

Framing is a metric poo poo-ton of work, but there isn't much that gives a better feeling of accomplishment than going from floorboards to a building. :D

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I started reading this thread kinda wondering why you'd do this to yourself, how expensive it is compared to just buying a property with a house on it already, etc. I have to say I'm almost jealous at this point after seeing all the work and the good times you've clearly had getting this up and running. I wish I had a big remote property I could just spend time at.

I used to work in construction for many years and I hope you take no offence at my suggestion that you should source some coarse aggregate for your road as a long-term solution to the erosion you're dealing with. I'm not sure if I'm just not appreciating it in the photos but the stuff you're putting on your geotextile looks too fine and sand-like to me.

Here is a page I found about gravel road building.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

dreesemonkey posted:

Thanks! You build that cabin, and build it real good. Don't let the dreams die!

VelociBacon posted:

I started reading this thread kinda wondering why you'd do this to yourself, how expensive it is compared to just buying a property with a house on it already, etc. I have to say I'm almost jealous at this point after seeing all the work and the good times you've clearly had getting this up and running. I wish I had a big remote property I could just spend time at.

I used to work in construction for many years and I hope you take no offence at my suggestion that you should source some coarse aggregate for your road as a long-term solution to the erosion you're dealing with. I'm not sure if I'm just not appreciating it in the photos but the stuff you're putting on your geotextile looks too fine and sand-like to me.

Here is a page I found about gravel road building.

You are 100% correct about the road. This stuff is coming from a crazy redneck guy that has a gravel pit and a dump truck. He doesn't have crushed stone or anything like that. Next year the whole road will get a good layer of crushed stone like you have pictured there, it just wasn't in the budget for this year unfortunately.

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 21, 2015

• Locked thread