Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Dammit, do I have to actually get excited about these movies existing now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

Wax Tadpole posted:

Good News. It's been confirmed they are bringing back Lawrence Kasdan, the writer of Empire Strike Back/Return of the Jedi/Raiders of the Lost Ark, to pen either the second or third film. Here's to hoping that he writes the centerpiece Episode XIII.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-lawrence-kasdan-simon-393459

I can understand how this superficially seems like great news, but--I mean, Kasdan wrote some great movies 30 years ago. Talent is not a constant. You get older and you kind of lose a step. I'm not so sure Kasdan is the dream choice everyone is making him out to be. He's not much younger than George and hasn't had a major produced credit since "Dreamcatcher" in 2003.

This is not to say "Dreamcatcher" is his fault--poo poo movies often happen in spite of, not because of, the screenwriter--but the guy's heyday is pretty far off in the rearview.

Realism
Sep 16, 2008
What are the chances that a character like HK-47 or Hanharr (or even GOTO) gets written into the movies?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

This is not to say "Dreamcatcher" is his fault--poo poo movies often happen in spite of, not because of, the screenwriter--but the guy's heyday is pretty far off in the rearview.

He directed "Dreamcatcher", so yeah... :psyduck:

Anyway, I remember hearing a while back that Lucas asked Kasdan to write the prequel trilogy, but Kasdan would only do it under the condition that he direct them also which Lucas flat out refused. I wonder what changed his mind this time around (probably a lot of money and more opportunities to direct films for Disney).

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

VoodooXT posted:

Anyway, I remember hearing a while back that Lucas asked Kasdan to write the prequel trilogy, but Kasdan would only do it under the condition that he direct them also which Lucas flat out refused. I wonder what changed his mind this time around (probably a lot of money and more opportunities to direct films for Disney).

I feel that Kasdan returning can only be a good thing. His entry is still the best in the series and he's been shown to branch out, unlike Lucas. Also, I'm pretty sure it's to help get more opportunities to direct more and get distro for his films with Kevin Kline. Also, I'm hoping there's a role for Kevin Kline in the next Star Wars film.

Is Michael Arndt still attached?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

quote:

Is Michael Arndt still attached?

Yeah, working on VII. I'm sure his email inbox is filled with many wonderful, smart ideas from passionate people :allears:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Realism posted:

What are the chances that a character like HK-47 or Hanharr (or even GOTO) gets written into the movies?

GOTO does have the same appearance as an interrogation droid in a New Hope, and I like to pretend its actually him. Its very unlikely though, I mean there hasn't even been a cameo in the Clone Wars TV series.

Realism
Sep 16, 2008
That would be a shame because I really want to see a non-typical Star Wars character in movie form. GOTO and Hanharr fits the mode.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

VoodooXT posted:

Oh. Well, hell. There goes that pardon.

I suspect they roped Kasdan in now because he knows Lucas won't have final say on anything. IIRC, he and other OT filmmakers raised hell trying to get Lucas to back off from the kiddie poo poo and lend some weight to the sequels, and he just wasn't having it. I don't doubt he ran from the prequels knowing he'd just be a mercenary--or worse, like the other guy Lucas hired, given only a brief window to try and shape up dialogue and structure that needed months of work.

Honestly: you can like the prequels or not, and it's all subjective, but it's striking how little time Lucas actually spent writing the Goddamn things. They more or less shot his first drafts.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's a fallacy to suggest that Kasdan wrote the best part. Truth is (If you read the annotated screenplays book) Kasdan had more say in 'Jedi' than he ever did in 'Empire'. He was hired to tidy up Empire after Lucas had worked extensively on it and he even admits he didn't work all that much on it apart from clean up work.

I like Kasdan as a writer but so far the people they've chosen are utterly safe choices. The writer of Mr and Mrs Smith? Come on.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

At this point, I'll take anybody who understands basic story structure and character development.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I heartily welcome a safe choice. Just make a drat straightforward adventure that everyone can enjoy. Nothing fancy or unique like PT Anderson.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's unfortunate the prequel trilogy is what it is. It'll probably be a long time before we get a version of that story told by someone who can actually tell stories.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Mu Zeta posted:

I heartily welcome a safe choice. Just make a drat straightforward adventure that everyone can enjoy. Nothing fancy or unique like PT Anderson.

There will be blood with a Jedi would be pretty awesome.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

keep punching joe posted:

There will be blood with a Jedi would be pretty awesome.

There will be Midichlorians :downsrim:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Are you really saying that they should make it as bland and as possible? Why would you want that? Why even make the films at all?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

A human heart posted:

Are you really saying that they should make it as bland and as possible? Why would you want that? Why even make the films at all?

Not bland.
Satisfying, emotional, fulfilling, well-made, coherent.
Good actors performing in a good story but not breaking new ground and sometimes that's okay.

For starters: Instead of being SO DENSE, every shot having SO MUCH going on (that's all meaningless crap that you can't care about) everything shown should have a purpose to it in the story or scene.
Of course that means shoving fewer weird aliens and robots to make toys out of into the movie so who knows if they'll do that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A human heart posted:

Considering how Star Wars has been for the past 15 years bland would be a step up.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

muscles like this? posted:

The number of likely directors continues to be winnowed down. Brad Bird has announced on Twitter that he will not be directing.

Awww, man. I was holding out hope.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Star Wars needs to be approached like any new franchise of films with a director on his second or third go round with a big project.

Have a proper creative team in place with adequate, talented checks and balances. The biggest reason the first movies were a success it seems is that the input of the second unit directors and sub writers who handled re-writes and editing and the smaller creatives details were so dedicated and good at their jobs.

Take those away and you get the prequel messes.

I think if they have a writing team that can compliment each other whereby they adhere to the normal formulae for writing a coherent plot, have someone who can write decent dialogue within the universe the films could be good.

Couple that with a director who doesn't think he's making children's films featuring genocide and economic blockades :psyduck: and they're half way there.

There's very few directors who've been able to recapture the magic they made with some of their first releases when they weren't as trusted to do a good job because they were given total control later on down the track and surrounded themselves with yes men.

Realism
Sep 16, 2008
It would actually be a miracle if they can make a movie that's even MORE bland than the prequels

The prequels are the epitome of bland, repetitive, forgetful crap.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Realism posted:

It would actually be a miracle if they can make a movie that's even MORE bland than the prequels

The prequels are the epitome of bland, repetitive, forgetful crap.

But....they're like poetry....they rhyme!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

So am I the only one who has hopes that the new movies will ignore every single EU thing completely, including the clone wars cartoons?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So am I the only one who has hopes that the new movies will ignore every single EU thing completely, including the clone wars cartoons?

You are not alone. A clean path would be the best way to shake off the bad crap in the EU and people would eventually get over it.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

You are not alone. If I was the praying type, I'd be making a shrine dedicated to ensuring that these movies do not include ANYTHING from the EU at all.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Come on guys, the EU has some really great stuff, like that guy with lightsabers attached to his knees and elbows, and all of those characters whose deaths were cheapened by being brought back in incomprehensible ways.

FeculentWizardTits fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 23, 2012

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Spakstik posted:

Come on guys, the EU has some really great stuff, like that guy with lightsabers attached to his knees and elbows, and all of those characters whose deaths were cheapened by being brought back in incomprehensible ways.

Pretty sure we've never had any characters brought back to life. Once someone is dead in Star Wars, they stay dead (other than Force Ghost appearances). The closest we've gotten is Boba Fett, but it's established that the sarlaac takes a longass time to digest you, and the dude is encased is weaponized armor, including a jet pack.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

jivjov posted:

Pretty sure we've never had any characters brought back to life. Once someone is dead in Star Wars, they stay dead (other than Force Ghost appearances). The closest we've gotten is Boba Fett, but it's established that the sarlaac takes a longass time to digest you, and the dude is encased is weaponized armor, including a jet pack.

And all the clones, good god the clones. In fact I'd wager there are more clones in the EU than in Attack of the Clones.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

jivjov posted:

Other than the emperor, you mean (his spirit "possessing" different bodies, including his clones)? Or Darth Maul with his "solid state hologram?"

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

jivjov posted:

Pretty sure we've never had any characters brought back to life. Once someone is dead in Star Wars, they stay dead (other than Force Ghost appearances).

Do a Google image search for "Darth Maul Resurrected".

He comes back with a robotic waist and legs and attacks Obi-Wan on Tatooine for REVENGE.

EDIT: Oh and don't a whole bunch of Jedi come back after their apparent deaths in Revenge of the Sith? At least the sexy Twilek, I'm sure.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

joepinetree posted:

Other than the emperor, you mean (his spirit "possessing" different bodies, including his clones)? Or Darth Maul with his "solid state hologram?"

Okay, the emperor is a special case, being the (arguable) Big Bad of the Empire. The solid hologram of Maul isn't actually Maul, just a computer program using Maul's form, and if I recall correctly that story is Infinities anyway.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

joepinetree posted:

Going from memory but there's also;
Luuuke (no idea how many u's there should be), Darth Vader (I no longer own Galaxy of Fear but the cover is seared into my brain), that whole Starkiller mess that Force Unleashed created and I swear the Jedi Knight game series had clones of some sort. Perhaps there are less than my memory is leading to believe.

Edit: Just had a quick search and can't find any info on clones in Jedi Knight games, must have been imagining it.

UnquietDream fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 23, 2012

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

jivjov posted:

Okay, the emperor is a special case, being the (arguable) Big Bad of the Empire. The solid hologram of Maul isn't actually Maul, just a computer program using Maul's form, and if I recall correctly that story is Infinities anyway.

It is a computer program projecting Maul's form and acting based on the brain salvaged from his body.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

jivjov posted:

Okay, the emperor is a special case, being the (arguable) Big Bad of the Empire.

The fact that he came back to life completely de-values Vader's noble redemption at the end of Return of the Jedi.

See that is why I hate the EU. It's like fan-fiction in which the authors inserted their own Mary Sues into the mythos.

"You think Han Solo is cool? Check out DASH RENDAR!" and "Prince Xizor is so much more in control than Darth Vader. He's the bestest."

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

Rocket Ace posted:

The fact that he came back to life completely de-values Vader's noble redemption at the end of Return of the Jedi.

See that is why I hate the EU. It's like fan-fiction in which the authors inserted their own Mary Sues into the mythos.

"You think Han Solo is cool? Check out DASH RENDAR!" and "Prince Xizor is so much more in control than Darth Vader. He's the bestest."

Oh come on you can't compare Xizor to Darth Vader, it would have been really creepy if Vader had tried to sleep with his daughter, that's why he only tortured her instead... wait.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

joepinetree posted:

It is a computer program projecting Maul's form and acting based on the brain salvaged from his body.

This just made the decision for me: "Don't watch The Clone Wars series".

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

UnquietDream posted:

Oh come on you can't compare Xizor to Darth Vader, it would have been really creepy if Vader had tried to sleep with his daughter, that's why he only tortured her instead... wait.

Xizor also had a creepy sexbot that occasionally killed people.

I hate that I've read many EU books :(

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This just made the decision for me: "Don't watch The Clone Wars series".

These are not connected in any way.

The Clone Wars series is actually pretty good and has some decidedly dark elements for a kids show.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

MrBigglesworth posted:

These are not connected in any way.

The Clone Wars series is actually pretty good and has some decidedly dark elements for a kids show.

The one ep I watched two years ago or so on the one hand was fun to watch I guess but on the other it was centered around the quote "This weapon is your life". I was drunk at the time and hadn't gotten around to watching the original movies so it was okay.

I kind of don't want to spend any more time in the prequel's world now. I'm not so hard up on things to watch for it to be necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Yeah echoing the "staying out of the prequel world" sentiment. My 3 year old only knows about the OT, because that's all we have watched.

I intend to keep it that way for as long as possible

• Locked thread