Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kobayashi posted:

Does this thread have anything even remotely related to BFC in here anymore? Tuyop's odd swings from cherry-picked one liner replies, to in-depth sperganalysis, to bitingly defensive quips are indicative of someone that's either 1) trolling or 2) afflicted by some kind of psychological issue. I mean, I haven't seen a chart or a graph in what feels like months, and to be honest, I don't even know what Tuyop's financial situation, and goals, are anymore. I was going to re-read his post history, but I thought I'd post instead. This thread is just like some kind of weird chatroom about BASIL and nudism and construction, with a tiny sprinkling of whining about bureaucracy. It seems like this:

...is what we should be focusing on. Go see a psychologist, Tuyop, something is wrong with you.

Well hey,

So financially we now have our emergency fund and buffer back in order thanks to tax returns and next pay we'll be dropping ~3000 on toeshoes' debt. Then we should be in line to bring the full bear of our combined net income of 5710 dollars a month (before expenses) toward my visa.

HOWEVER, we realized that toeshoes can get a consolidation loan so we've been approved for a 15k line of credit at 9% which will save us nearly 100 dollars a month in interest payments (mostly from a cash advance that I did at some point). This is all stuff that you told me to do last year, so we went ahead with it.

I also found out that my retirement fund is worth around 9700 dollars, and my severance package is worth more than the estimated 3300 because of medical stuff.

We went to a SISIP advisor and she showed us that my net income will only change by 45 dollars a pay because of the way vocational rehab is handled by taxes, so if I get the medical release I'll have that income for two years.

And, I bought some winter tires. loving 900 bucks (divided into 24 pays, no interest). The payment plan kicks in in March, and the account will have to be paid in full whenever I release. Shouldn't be a problem either way. This way we mitigate risk by keeping money in the bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
900 dollars should get you a whole lot of tire.

Edit: How did it possible come out that high. You can get top quality tires for about 120$ a piece, so I'm seeing 600$ max for 4 plus installation.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 22, 2012

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Dusseldorf posted:

900 dollars should get you a whole lot of tire.

Edit: How did it possible come out that high. You can get top quality tires for about 120$ a piece, so I'm seeing 600$ max for 4 plus installation.
This is loving tuyop, the man of $100 underwear and $300 bike shoes. Everything must be top of the line.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
Did you even shop around for tires? $900. What were you thinking?

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

tuyop posted:

Well hey,

So financially we now have our emergency fund and buffer back in order thanks to tax returns and next pay we'll be dropping ~3000 on toeshoes' debt. Then we should be in line to bring the full bear of our combined net income of 5710 dollars a month (before expenses) toward my visa.

HOWEVER, we realized that toeshoes can get a consolidation loan so we've been approved for a 15k line of credit at 9% which will save us nearly 100 dollars a month in interest payments (mostly from a cash advance that I did at some point). This is all stuff that you told me to do last year, so we went ahead with it.

I also found out that my retirement fund is worth around 9700 dollars, and my severance package is worth more than the estimated 3300 because of medical stuff.

We went to a SISIP advisor and she showed us that my net income will only change by 45 dollars a pay because of the way vocational rehab is handled by taxes, so if I get the medical release I'll have that income for two years.

And, I bought some winter tires. loving 900 bucks (divided into 24 pays, no interest). The payment plan kicks in in March, and the account will have to be paid in full whenever I release. Shouldn't be a problem either way. This way we mitigate risk by keeping money in the bank.

Nice job on all that.

Is it just tires or are rims included? If it's just tires, you got robbed.

mailmanrob
Apr 17, 2006
I'm toxxing right now. Stop reading this thread, because tuyop is a loving moron. I've rooted for you way too long, you're childish and dense (jesus christ you can't file taxes on time, but think you'll put up with the compliance and regulation required to build a house you have negative money for?) What the gently caress? I will never read this thread again, and I hope Zaurg becomes a success, and ends up being your lovely landlord and doesn't put up with your every other week spending binges/mental breakdowns when you tell him you saw real poo poo in the military, and by military, I mean excuse to buy shoes/socks 10 times more then what other people pay that didn't stop you from disabling yourself in the end.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Elgar posted:

Did you even shop around for tires? $900. What were you thinking?

Yup, we decided to stay away from used, so the usual cost was 180-220 per tire, before installation and taxes, even with sales, even at Costco, and I've been looking for weeks. I'm buying the solidly bottom range tire and already have steel wheels. So it goes I guess.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Is there some Canadian tire tax? Looking at Consumer Reports all the winter tires are between $80-120 American, which is a factor of 2 cheaper. Also do you really need winter tires? I've spent most of my life driving in snow on all weather tires without any problem. You live in Ontario, not the mountains, right?

Edit: I just looked at the CanadianTire website, tires cost the same in canada. Does your car only take highly unorthodox tires or something?

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 22, 2012

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dusseldorf posted:

Is there some Canadian tire tax? Looking at Consumer Reports all the winter tires are between $80-120 American, which is a factor of 2 cheaper. Also do you really need winter tires? I've spent most of my life driving in snow on all weather tires without any problem. You live in Ontario, not the mountains, right?

Edit: I just looked at the CanadianTire website, tires cost the same in canada. Does your car only take highly unorthodox tires or something?

I roll on 17s, yo.

I have cheap all seasons on my alloy wheels now, and they're a total nightmare when it rains, so I'm not very confident in using them in the snow.

But yeah, 205/55/17 205/50/17 tires seem to cost A LOT more than the 13 inch tires that get advertised in fliers and poo poo. I haven't had them installed yet, so I could probably backpedal on the whole thing if I find something significantly cheaper, I'll double check again today. It's not like I gain anything at all from spending nearly 1000 dollars on strips of rubber as long as spending less is still safe.

That's a lot of hours of naked posing (which was totally no big by the way, it's just like being on a parade except you're naked and there's decaf green tea and baked goods).

Edit: aha! I found a set of "Barum Polaris 3" tires which ship for 548.95 and just went on sale this week (the next ones up were 205 shipped, plus taxes and installation, just like last time I looked). I'm glad I checked again, thanks thread! Now I'll just have to cancel my order at the other place.

Also, depressingly, I worked out the hourly rate for my modeling session:

Income: 60
Mileage: -29.60 @ $0.37/km
Robe: -21.47
Balance: 9.03 (3.01/hr!)

Ugh, well I also saved like seventy cents in food because I didn't eat supper and just went to bed when I got home I guess.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 22, 2012

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
It's a good thing that robe was a one time expense, now the next time you do a session you'll increase your balance by $21.47.

Until then you can just keep the robe in your clos- Oh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dusseldorf posted:

Is there some Canadian tire tax?

Yep. At least in Quebec anyway, but I assume Ontario has something similar - it's a line item on my car invoice, 8x10$ or whatever. Notice the 8x?

quote:

Also do you really need winter tires? I've spent most of my life driving in snow on all weather tires without any problem. You live in Ontario, not the mountains, right?

He absolutely does. No questions asked. In fact, depending on provincial laws, he might be legally required to.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Dusseldorf posted:

I've spent most of my life driving in snow on all weather tires without any problem. You live in Ontario, not the mountains, right?

You've never lived in Ontario?

Badger Pudding
Jan 11, 2007

My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary.

Dusseldorf posted:

Also do you really need winter tires? I've spent most of my life driving in snow on all weather tires without any problem. You live in Ontario, not the mountains, right?

That's funny.

Canada snow isn't quite the same as your sexy southern snow.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Tires can definitely be expensive up here. I'm also in the middle of buying winter tires - there aren't a ton available for my car, and the prices range from $120-270/tire. I picked a nice one at $200/tire, so right in the middle. Except, with taxes and fees and whatever, then testing the alignment, etc. somehow the tires end up at like, $1000. Which is fine, because I can afford it, but still really expensive.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Braki posted:

Tires can definitely be expensive up here. I'm also in the middle of buying winter tires - there aren't a ton available for my car, and the prices range from $120-270/tire. I picked a nice one at $200/tire, so right in the middle. Except, with taxes and fees and whatever, then testing the alignment, etc. somehow the tires end up at like, $1000. Which is fine, because I can afford it, but still really expensive.

Yeah even if all that stuff works out to cost me 150 bucks somehow, then I'll still have saved 300 dollars. Check out https://www.tiretrends.com.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

quaint bucket posted:

You've never lived in Ontario?

I've lived in Wisconsin and Chicago for 20 odd years. They get their share of winter driving.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My experience of Chicago was that they'd have snow days on days where our weatherman would mention the snow as an afterthought.

Six inches of snow overnight is no big deal here.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Has Tuyop been driving in Canada without snow tires all along?

Edit: this could explain some things.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I assume the ones he had before (Probably bundled with his car) are worn out. Winter tires don't last that long, once the grooves wear out they're not "winter tires" enough for the cops.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've always had winter tires on this car. I can't afford to be late for work and get charged for AWOL because I lose it in a ditch or something.

The last ones lasted two seasons and I threw them out.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

I've always had winter tires on this car. I can't afford to be late for work and get charged for AWOL because I lose it in a ditch or something.

The last ones lasted two seasons and I threw them out.

How much did the last ones cost?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Baloogan posted:

Probably around what he paid for these.

Seriously, guys, these are winter tires. You wanna drive in Canada in the winter, you need winter tires, and they wear out fast - End of story. We're nowhere near $100 underwear or BASIL territory here.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

Around 920 installed. I did exactly the same thing I was going to do this time so they didn't show up on mint so I don't have the exact amount.

Fraternite
Dec 24, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I got Michelin Defenders from Costco (in Canada, nonetheless!) 1 month ago and it cost me $518 including tax. Ignore everything Tuyop says about tires in Canada, because it's just painfully obvious he's just really really bad at buying anything.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fraternite posted:

I got Michelin Defenders from Costco (in Canada, nonetheless!) 1 month ago and it cost me $518 including tax. Ignore everything Tuyop says about tires in Canada, because it's just painfully obvious he's just really really bad at buying anything.

The size matters. A lot. Like, depending on the exact size and profile, prices can vary by well over a hundred bucks per tire. So, this kind of statement is useless without telling us exactly what size your tires were.

Tires are the most important piece of safety equipment on a car. Yes, more than brakes or seatbelts.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FrozenVent posted:

I assume the ones he had before (Probably bundled with his car) are worn out. Winter tires don't last that long, once the grooves wear out they're not "winter tires" enough for the cops.

Especially if you use them in the summer too! Tell me that's not what you meant by "I've always had winter tires on this car", tuyop. Also good point about sizes, can you still return the ones you just bought? Then do that and get some narrower 16 or even 15" with a thicker profile and have them put on steelies. You'll save a shitload.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

The size matters. A lot. Like, depending on the exact size and profile, prices can vary by well over a hundred bucks per tire. So, this kind of statement is useless without telling us exactly what size your tires were.

Tires are the most important piece of safety equipment on a car. Yes, more than brakes or seatbelts.

This. And they were 17 inch rims.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Especially if you use them in the summer too! Tell me that's not what you meant by "I've always had winter tires on this car", tuyop. Also good point about sizes, can you still return the ones you just bought? Then do that and get some narrower 16 or even 15" with a thicker profile and have them put on steelies. You'll save a shitload.

tuyop posted:

I have cheap all seasons on my alloy wheels now, and they're a total nightmare when it rains, so I'm not very confident in using them in the snow.

Edit: aha! I found a set of "Barum Polaris 3" tires which ship for 548.95 and just went on sale this week (the next ones up were 205 shipped, plus taxes and installation, just like last time I looked). I'm glad I checked again, thanks thread! Now I'll just have to cancel my order at the other place.

I never had the new tires installed so I just cancelled the order and the financing and ordered the cheap sale tires.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Then do that and get some narrower 16 or even 15" with a thicker profile and have them put on steelies. You'll save a shitload.

Having to buy new wheels would probably negate the savings from buying smaller tires. If he's driving alloy wheels in the summer, he already has a set of steelies for the winter. :canada:

Seriously, car dealers in Canada will throw in steel wheels and winter tires if you so much as pinch your lips at the price of a new car.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

Fraternite posted:

Those are all season tires, not winter tires.

EDIT: However, looking on tire rack for tires for a 2010 Mazda3, winter tires run about $500-750 for a set.

asmallrabbit fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 23, 2012

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Baloogan posted:

I'm kinda glad there is one less maniac depressive person in the military.

Good news! He's still in the military!

Fortunately it's the Canadian one so the chances of him getting redeployed regardless of disability and then hitting the depression part of the cycle in Afghanistan are relatively small if he weren't tuyop

Toeshoes: whatever he's on, he needs a larger dose of it. Get him an appointment before he can't find the doctor's address and decides he'd rather just camp outside for the winter instead.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

asmallrabbit posted:

EDIT: However, looking on tire rack for tires for a 2010 Mazda3, winter tires run about $500-750 for a set.

Add about a hundred bucks for installation, tire recovery tax and whatever, and we're pretty close to what Tuyop paid for his.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
No seriously, the tirechat and housechat and basilchat and and and is a pretty classic indicator of 1)a pretty good troll or 2)being Bipolar As gently caress

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Tuyop is innately a terrible troll, although he has one hell of a crutch to lean on because it's incredibly plausible for any random bullshit misadventure he cooks up to "troll" the thread to have started in his mind as a legitimate endeavour. And you can't tell.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

asmallrabbit posted:

If you want, you can try ordering them to like, this address which is within 20km of my place so that you can see the wonderful $45 customs, $62 dollars shipping, and $90 tax that will go on those before they even get put on the vehicle.

That's my experience with ordering from tirerack or another American tire website, at least.

Adar posted:

No seriously, the tirechat and housechat and basilchat and and and is a pretty classic indicator of 1)a pretty good troll or 2)being Bipolar As gently caress

The tires will not make or save me an absurd amount of money though! If I had started this thread two years ago so that I could have prevented myself from buying the car, THEN I could save some money on those tires.

Also I thought I'd try to talk about only financial things within a 90 day future and past window to avoid any more housechat kind of situations.

For instance, yesterday my boss told me that my medical form had crossed his desk to go to D Med Pol now. That means that they should have it processed by January. So I might have a release date by February 2013 at the earliest.

It's still likely that it could take until October though, and I can't move on my vocational rehab without going through the process or I risk upsetting the bureaucratic gods, so I still probably won't start working until loving 2016 or something. Release 2013, apply for BEd December 2013 FOR September 2014 to August 2015.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Devian666 posted:

This.

Most of us work at a job where we can make more money doing what we specialise in per hour than doing stuff like building houses. There are a few steps you need to take before buying a house or contracting someone to build it. First is dropping the idea of building a house. Of all the people I know that tried on build their house only one succeeded. The one that succeed has a civil engineering degree along with significant building experience. He's my former boss who I subcontract to do work for me. Second you need to get a deposit together once you have paid your debts. Then finance buying a house.

If you still want to build a house at this point become a builder (as a full time job) and gain the necessary tools, skills and knowledge to contribute to building your own house. At least this way you will have somewhere to live while you build it.

This advice is intended to stop you from making GBS threads up your life with unnecessary problems and a house that would be a financial disaster.

If only a system existed whereby one can perform work they are especially skilled in and then trade the products of such work for other goods/services provided by skilled specialists. Maybe there could be some sort of intermediary recognized by everybody as a store of value, like a Canadian government sponsored version of Bitcoin. That way, Tuyop could work doing whatever he's good at, and trade the results of that work for the products of highly skilled, expert house builders! And he doesn't need to live in a crappy, homemade slumhouse!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

If only a system existed whereby one can perform work they are especially skilled in and then trade the products of such work for other goods/services provided by skilled specialists. Maybe there could be some sort of intermediary recognized by everybody as a store of value, like a Canadian government sponsored version of Bitcoin. That way, Tuyop could work doing whatever he's good at, and trade the results of that work for the products of highly skilled, expert house builders! And he doesn't need to live in a crappy, homemade slumhouse!

I believe this financial instrument is present in all places except Canada, from what I can gather from Tuyop's posting.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Tuyop: Hey guys, I just converted all of my assets into Bitcoin.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Wolfy posted:

That's already true by the null hypothesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Wolfy posted:

Haha, as if I have assets!

• Locked thread