Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Spacebase DF-9 looks and sounds exactly like Startopia, which itself was a pretty good game.

Besides that, I would love the poo poo out of Hack n' Slash, and White Birch/Black Lake sound interesting as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ectohawk
Oct 27, 2010

Milgrim looks good, I hope it gets more votes. Have there been any games like that before? I like the idea of making a level layout, and it also sort of reminds me of a tower defense game idea in a way.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Really surprised Bragging and Fighting doesn't have more votes. It seems like the kind of bizarre, original idea Double Fine is known for.

I mean, a space station sim could be fun, but it's not really that exciting.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

maxnmona posted:

Really surprised Bragging and Fighting doesn't have more votes. It seems like the kind of bizarre, original idea Double Fine is known for.

I mean, a space station sim could be fun, but it's not really that exciting.

I'm sorry, I'm playing Gnomoria and Dwarf Fortress in Space sounds loving awesome to me.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

I'm sorry, I'm playing Gnomoria and Dwarf Fortress in Space sounds loving awesome to me.

Yeah, but read your own post. Don't you want more out of an experimental game week than "A game that already exists only with different artwork"?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

White Birch sounds really boring to me for the same reason. If you really want to play a moody, dark platformer with an ambiguous story, isn't there about a thousand other games you could be playing right now?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I would be disappointed if Double-Fine devoted development time to the kind of game that a few thousand college students and other independent design teams are probably already working on as we speak. Bring on the weird/funny stuff.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

maxnmona posted:

Yeah, but read your own post. Don't you want more out of an experimental game week than "A game that already exists only with different artwork"?

Except the games don't exist in a finished form. Towns and Gnomoria are years away from being finished and who knows if that will ever happen? Double Fine might actually deliver a game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Strong gameplay systems aren't really Double Fine's strong suit, though. They're fun and they're really well written, but I wouldn't want Schafer designing a strategy (again).

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Episode 7's up on the forums and Kickstarter. poo poo gets real. :ohdear:

And it looks like the game won't make it out for April.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Looking back on the kickstarter when it first came out earlier this year, it really wasn't a good idea to start at literally nothing other than Tim Schafer will make a new point and click adventure game before even developing anything about. But yeah this episode poo poo really does get real.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I picked a really good time to read this thread. Got in on the Humble Bundle with 4 minutes left on the clock. Thanks guy!

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

It's a little distressing that the recurring subject that came up in nearly every discussion in the recent episode was that DF is hinging its future on the success on the point-n-click adventure game. That and the Amnesia Fortnight Humble Bundle essentially flopped (Schafer revealed on twitter that it cost them around $300k) :ohdear:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Humble Bundle mailing list didn't notify me or anyone else of that bundle's existence at all. Tim should be yelling at someone over that, because I imagine that probably cost them a ton of sales.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Lurdiak posted:

The Humble Bundle mailing list didn't notify me or anyone else of that bundle's existence at all. Tim should be yelling at someone over that, because I imagine that probably cost them a ton of sales.

It was also hidden behind the THQ bundle and the HIB 7 for the majority of its lifespan, so I imagine a lot of people didn't get around to seeing it.

Which is a drat shame because some of those prototypes had a lot of potential.

Still, better than getting nothing, which is apparently how Amnesia Fortnight usually works.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Do not even ask posted:

That and the Amnesia Fortnight Humble Bundle essentially flopped (Schafer revealed on twitter that it cost them around $300k) :ohdear:

Tim said it cost them 300k, they made 250k (minus charity donations) from the Bundle.

Schafer has really played everyone fantastically with the bundle anyways, they do AF every year except now he's getting someone else to pay for (some of) it and getting free input on what game ideas people enjoy most with Steam and the Humble Bundle folks eating the bandwidth costs.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Watching this episode honestly made me never want to touch game development with a 10-foot pole. Granted, they're independent, but it's still totally crazy that they're so close to crashing into the ground, as they put it. How is game development even remotely sustainable in the long run? It makes me fear that the next consoles are going to be a huge disaster, since no one but like the 5 biggest companies can even afford to put out games for them. What a ridiculous loving industry.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think they might be playing the drama up a little bit. Tim himself said this happens on pretty much every project. The game is going to be delayed but it still looks like it's coming along nicely. It's obviously not a totally smooth process but I didn't get the impression that the project or the company were in danger.

Do not even ask posted:

It's a little distressing that the recurring subject that came up in nearly every discussion in the recent episode was that DF is hinging its future on the success on the point-n-click adventure game. That and the Amnesia Fortnight Humble Bundle essentially flopped (Schafer revealed on twitter that it cost them around $300k) :ohdear:

Two points. First, the future of the company bit was clearly an exaggeration and a joke. It's not hinging on DFA. So far they haven't even put any money into the project other than the KS funds, which was a huge aspect to the discussions and decisions they were making.

Second, they do Amnesia Fortnight almost every year anyways. It costs them money to do it but they do it anyways. Previously they have received zero dollars (directly) from it, this year they received some compensation from the Humble Bundle. It's almost like free money. Even if they didn't get much money, the point of the whole thing wasn't to make money but to put fresh ideas into practice and to see what works and what doesn't. If any of the prototypes are especially successful, they'll develop them into full games. The fresh flow of unique and interesting games from Doublefine is worth way more to them than the two weeks and $300,000 it costs them.

edit: I do wonder how much better the humble bundle would have sold if they released this episode first. I now get the impression that the thing was more of a fundraiser for Reds. Maybe the public would have been more generous if they knew that to keep the design 100% in-tact that DF needs more money.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 22, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Hakkesshu posted:

Watching this episode honestly made me never want to touch game development with a 10-foot pole. Granted, they're independent, but it's still totally crazy that they're so close to crashing into the ground, as they put it. How is game development even remotely sustainable in the long run? It makes me fear that the next consoles are going to be a huge disaster, since no one but like the 5 biggest companies can even afford to put out games for them. What a ridiculous loving industry.

This isn't really special to making games you know. If you wan to strike out on your own in anything its going to be risky and a lot of stress and hard work.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Do not even ask posted:

I'm not sure you can call it a "flop" because of that considering they do it every year anyway and that cost will be two weeks pay for nearly every employee at the company.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Since this appears to be the de facto DF thread, I figured I'd link this here: http://www.giantbomb.com/the-cave/61-38390/reviews/

quote:

It's a sharp-looking game, the voice acting is largely on-point and funny (if occasionally obnoxiously repetitive), and there are at least a few solid hours worth of puzzle-solving to be had here. It's just that those hours don't really add up to a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, ultimately relegating The Cave to an interesting curiosity that sadly doesn't have much sticking power. Its moral finger-wagging never really amounts to more than thematic window dressing, regardless of how you end up finishing the game, and its puzzles are just intriguing enough to keep you interested for the duration. There is most certainly fun to be had in The Cave. I just wish its promise of an eminently replayable adventure ultimately proved truer.

Disappointing, looks like I'll be waiting for a sale.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I have a standing order to buy Doublefine games on PC at full price to help let them know "hey keep supporting this platform" but other than that I'm not too surprised, especially since the Cave team seems to be a bit different than the regular crew of folks at DF.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've bought it for £7.50 through Green Man Gaming thanks to the GMG25-XTYYZ-POSL1 25% off code, if that helps anyone here? It's only good for pre-purchase titles.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

zenintrude posted:

Since this appears to be the de facto DF thread, I figured I'd link this here: http://www.giantbomb.com/the-cave/61-38390/reviews/

Disappointing, looks like I'll be waiting for a sale.

I made the mistake of not getting Psychonauts at launch because of its middling reviews. Well, maybe not middling, but they called out a lot of problems with it. I'm trying out Double Fine stuff first hand from now on even if that means I'll stumble into very gimmicky stuff like Stacking and Brazen which I may not like.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 22, 2013

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I picked up The Cave on Steam, going to be out here tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it. It looks insanely fun.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.
Hey there,

Just wanted to give you all a heads up:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATSB3FO?tag=somethingawfu-20

Check in the middle (horizontal axis of the page, just below the product images and you'll find a video interview with Ron Gilbert. We asked some communities (SA, Reddit, CAG) to give us questions to ask Ron about The Cave. This interview is his response to his favorite questions.

We've also got The Cave (Steam redeemable) with a $5 Video Games Credit with pre-order

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just played the trial for the cave and it seemed alright. My only beef is controlling the 3 characters and getting them all in the same area but other than that it's pretty charming.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That's odd, the release time on steam for The Cave just got pushed another 24 hours. Damnit.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Edit: Deleted joke that has probably been made verbatim numerous times in regards to a different game.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 23, 2013

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

Demiurge4 posted:

That's odd, the release time on steam for The Cave just got pushed another 24 hours. Damnit.

I got an email from Sega this morning letting me know that the release got pushed back to 12:00AM GMT (4PM if you're in PST like me).

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

AmazonTony posted:

I got an email from Sega this morning letting me know that the release got pushed back to 12:00AM GMT (4PM if you're in PST like me).

I'm not sure that's right. Steam here (Britain) tells me the game releases in 16 hours, which would be 8am GMT or midnight PST.

E: Also gently caress you Sega, PS3 people have the game already, why can't Steam have nice things?

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 23, 2013

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I'm not sure that's right. Steam here (Britain) tells me the game releases in 16 hours, which would be 8am GMT or midnight PST.

E: Also gently caress you Sega, PS3 people have the game already, why can't Steam have nice things?

Weird, I'll hit them up again, thanks dude.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

AmazonTony posted:

Weird, I'll hit them up again, thanks dude.

Could be an England thing, I don't know. Steam usually release games like this at the same time in the US and UK though, I think. Especially weird if they gave you the time in GMT!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
It's out here in Australia. It's has a Featured Items graphic link but it's not on the new releases list yet.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 24, 2013

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tested out the Cave briefly on steam. Mouse controls work way better than I thought they'd. (Middle button for special move, right button to jump, click to pick up, double-click to drop). The platforming is a little tedious without a controller to speed things along, but it's fine.

The only complaint I have so far is that it doesn't look like the layout changes at all from run to run? I assumed that those "fall" points were loading transitions so that the cave would be a different series of puzzles based on who you had with you, but it looks like it's the same every time, and you just are forced to walk past the areas that are "personal" to each character because it requires their special move to enter?

Thing I'm curious right now is, based on the Giant Bomb quick look... It seems like there's an "evil" way to solve the personal puzzles. I'm wondering if there's also a more difficult "good" way, that may require a specific combination of characters.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
The Cave is decent so far. I haven't beat it but I'm on the last character's mission of my first playthrough. It feels barren at times would be my main criticism, and you have to backtrack with slow moving characters a ton to figure out the nuances of the weird puzzles (which often aren't hard so much as confusing to pull off in this particular control scheme.) I do wish it was just a normal adventure game but what you going to do. DF maybe will deliver there with the KS.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The narrative in the Cave is entertaining, but the traversal is slow and annoying. There's general areas and character themed areas. You end up traversing the general areas with all three characters, both coming to and leaving each room there, which in turn means a hell of a lot of repetition especially if you have to run back for items. Things didn't really click for me before I reached the first themed area, which focused on only one dude and was actually fun.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 24, 2013

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, the character specific areas are by far the best in The Cave. The general areas kind of drag on a bit because of the floaty controls and the awful, slow climbing. Especially the goddamn mine cart puzzle, which consists of you climbing up and down the same loving mine shaft very, very, very, very, very, very slowly over and over. I wouldn't be surprised if half the duration of every playthrough was just that loving mine cart puzzle. The other two sections are more tolerable of repeat playthroughs.

Personally, the time traveler's story was the highlight of the individual stories for me. I learned many true historical facts of the long forgotten distant past. I had no idea World War I started that way.

Note: You actually have to finish the game five times instead of three to see everything, because each character also has a second ending.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, five may not actually be enough, because some cave paintings can only be accessed by specific characters, so if you want them on top of everything else, you may have to do more. I'm pretty sure you have to at least have the time traveler and the knight in the same group to get one of the knight's paintings, for sure.

Tunahead fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 24, 2013

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Tunahead posted:

Yeah, the character specific areas are by far the best in The Cave. The general areas kind of drag on a bit because of the floaty controls and the awful, slow climbing. Especially the goddamn mine cart puzzle, which consists of you climbing up and down the same loving mine shaft very, very, very, very, very, very slowly over and over.

I almost feel like they Dear Esther'd the game... limited your speed and abilities to make the game last longer, which I really don't like. I hope they patch in some way to run faster for people that like DF games but don't like the molasses principle here. Or another thing... why no upgrade power-ups for the characters as you play? Make their speed go up and fall damage resistance go up. I mean it's just basic sense to make your gameplay feel better as you go and instead it remains persistently clunky.

I agree the Time Traveler's story is awesome. Monk and Hillbilly are the other ones I did so far and they're so-so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valen
Oct 1, 2009
You can jump up ladders to climb faster. For both ropes and ladders, if you jump while climbing down you'll drop and catch yourself after falling for a screen, or just before the bottom of the climb just before you would take fall damage. That helps to climb up and down just a bit faster.

• Locked thread