Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The Fisher King posted:

Any advice on which skills synergize/areimportant to have? Or just a good primer on the skills in general? Having never played these games before, I'm afraid i'll gimp myself :(

Like, I just fused some stuff to make something called a Power, and it seems badass, but I fell like I dont have enough skills for him...it..w/e

I just beat the 3rd dungeon

Also make sure you get and fuse as many of the shuffle time personas as possible. It lets you fill out the compendium and expands what you can actually make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

The Fisher King posted:

Any advice on which skills synergize/areimportant to have? Or just a good primer on the skills in general? Having never played these games before, I'm afraid i'll gimp myself :(

Like, I just fused some stuff to make something called a Power, and it seems badass, but I fell like I dont have enough skills for him...it..w/e

I just beat the 3rd dungeon

I always try to pass Resist Physical around my personas as well, at least early on. This is really fairly easy to do since you can get it from a Slime at level 7. If you have a low level one from the compendium, it should level really quickly by taking it into the 3rd dungeon and fighting some battles with it.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE
Guys, guys!

You can eat at Aiya TWICE in a day.
This changes everything!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

RON PAUL ALL YEARS posted:

Guys, guys!

You can eat at Aiya TWICE in a day.
This changes everything!

No one man should have all that meat.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

randombattle posted:

No one man should have all that meat.

You fool. you were always in the Meat Dimension.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Few questions:

Is the damage your attack skill does - when the character uses his or her weapon, not the Persona physical attacks - affected by your Persona's attributes? Does your equipped weapon affect your Persona's physical attacks?

When do you have to manually add a Persona to the Compendium and when is one automatically added? Does the Compendium have a record for each unique Persona or several for each based on their level?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

beergod posted:

Few questions:

Is the damage your attack skill does - when the character uses his or her weapon, not the Persona physical attacks - affected by your Persona's attributes? Does your equipped weapon affect your Persona's physical attacks?

Yes and yes.

quote:

When do you have to manually add a Persona to the Compendium and when is one automatically added? Does the Compendium have a record for each unique Persona or several for each based on their level?

They are automatically added whenever you fuse them; otherwise, you need to add them manually. You only can have one entry for each Persona and if you choose the 'Register all' option and you have a Persona with you that is already in the compendium, it will replace the one you previously registered.

VVV I coulda sworn you had to register any new ones...huh.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 25, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Compendium automatically adds the Persona into the Compendium the first time you get it, whether by Fusion or Shuffle Time. You can update the Persona in the Compendium by registering it.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

The Register persona function is used to replace the default persona with one with new skills, levels, and stats obtained from fusion/skill cards. For instance, if I fuse a Pyro Jack with invigorate 3, and it gets a huge exp boost from the Magician S. Link, I can register it, so whenever I summon it from the compendium, it'll have those bonus levels and inherited skills.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Biggest decision in the game: Rare accessory, or a Growth 2 card? :ohdear:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wondrous Magus in the second dungeon have to be the most annoying enemy ever. If two of them choose to attack the MC, you're dead. Sure, you can silence them easily, but they're fast and show up in groups of three later son.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cake Attack posted:

Wondrous Magus in the second dungeon have to be the most annoying enemy ever. If two of them choose to attack the MC, you're dead. Sure, you can silence them easily, but they're fast and show up in groups of three later son.

Those things hosed me right the hell up several times. And I was ready for them, even, having watched Giant Bomb's endurance run where they got rocked by them as well. And they *still* wrecked my poo poo. People went on about how hard some of the bosses were, but I don't think any of them killed me as many times as Wondrous Magus did.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I usually dealt with them in the origninal by dropping Tetrafoo on them with Yosuke and then wailing on them. But before I learned that status effects were God in Atlus games I could not deal with them without being ready to throw out a smoke ball.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I finally got the fishing rod, apparently you can't gently caress yourself over after all even though it looked like that at one point. You just need to bring a Tatsuhime ladybug to Shiroku Pub, it doesn't matter whether you got it from the bug catching kid or caught it yourself.

I totally suck at this new fishing minigame, by the way. I know the old one was basically a QTE but I'm pretty good at those, dammit. :saddowns: Can't seem to get the timing down in the bug catching mingame either, I press the button when the ! comes up but it still tells me my timing "might have been off."

e: also if you're around level 31, you should fuse Ose of the Fool arcana if you haven't done that yet. He has Power Charge and Atom Smasher, which will wreck the poo poo out of just about anything that isn't completely immune to physical attacks.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 25, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So on top of being able to SocialLink your character's new abilities, you have to choose which abilites to keep or lose. That's a new think. I hope I don't accidentally gimp my NPCs...

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Social Link skills are pretty good. You shouldn't be worried about gimping yourself, especially since you can cover any gaps with your own Personas.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

I totally suck at this new fishing minigame, by the way. I know the old one was basically a QTE but I'm pretty good at those, dammit. :saddowns: Can't seem to get the timing down in the bug catching mingame either, I press the button when the ! comes up but it still tells me my timing "might have been off."

Fishing is rough, but you gotta be patient with it, like a real fisherman. Reading the fishing books will help a lot, too.

The timing is rather generous for bug catching. "Might have been off" is just one step below perfect timing. Try to time it for right when the shaft of the net reaches the unshadowed part of the wooden post behind you.

e: Why is "un-subtle sub-buttle" so funny? I can't stop giggling.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 25, 2012

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Biggest decision in the game: Rare accessory, or a Growth 2 card? :ohdear:

Accessory. You get mad cards once you start getting the bonus in shuffle time for getting all the cards.

[e] This is the first vita game I played that didn't have the ugly rear end system default save screen.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Speedball posted:

So on top of being able to SocialLink your character's new abilities, you have to choose which abilites to keep or lose. That's a new think. I hope I don't accidentally gimp my NPCs...

Being able to choose which of your party members' skills you drop and which you keep was introduced in the original Persona 4. Back in Persona 3 and its two remakes, your party members' skill upgrades were automatically chosen without any input on your part.

Also, I didn't really have any trouble with the Wonder Magus guys in the bathhouse. Open with Makajam from Yosuke, follow up with Skull Cracker to inflict Panic on a second one with Chie.

Then again, I may have been slightly overleveled since I went back and redid the castle to get Yukiko's special weapon before clearing the bathhouse in the same day.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 25, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Beat the Bathhouse.

Kanji: Still the best. :allears:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Dr Pepper posted:

Beat the Bathhouse.

Kanji: Still the best. :allears:

I gotta admit, I was a bit disappointed at first to see him played up as a "secretly gay machoman biker", but the ending of the dungeon took me by a pleasant surprise.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Oh man, the boss of the first dungeon came down to the wire, but I got it just barely with a Skull Cracker from Chie!

You can kinda game the system a bit by running around on lower levels of dungeons and using the SOS feature, getting an advantage on enemies, and then running away. In about 30 minutes of game play, I was able to raise my HP/SP on all three characters up to max on my second day in the first dungeon.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Capsaicin posted:

Oh man, the boss of the first dungeon came down to the wire, but I got it just barely with a Skull Cracker from Chie!

You can kinda game the system a bit by running around on lower levels of dungeons and using the SOS feature, getting an advantage on enemies, and then running away. In about 30 minutes of game play, I was able to raise my HP/SP on all three characters up to max on my second day in the first dungeon.

Or you could just leave with a goho-m when you get to that point and continue where you left off the next day :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Capsaicin posted:

Physical skills tend to better in boss fights since bosses usually don't have any bosses to exploit and physical skills are on average stronger than magical ones.

Light physical attacks like Cleave have a base power of about 130 while Agi/Bufu/Zio/Garu are all 80.

Of course, none of that information is anywhere in the game. :suicide:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, physical attackers are nothing to sneeze at during a good boss fight, the only downside is that they burn up their own HP to do it, so you need to be careful.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DrManiac posted:

[e] This is the first vita game I played that didn't have the ugly rear end system default save screen.

I think that was a Sony requirement for a while, off the top of my head Nier on the 360 had a cool looking journal to save your game and the PS3 version was the ugly system screen. This is relevant because one of the endings goes through your saves and deletes them and it's a lot cooler to see the journal entries fade away than seeing DELETING PLEASE WAIT.

W.T. Fits posted:

Then again, I may have been slightly overleveled since I went back and redid the castle to get Yukiko's special weapon before clearing the bathhouse in the same day.

I just unlocked Kanji and he's level 25. My highest character was either 19 or 20.

I could tell I was behind when all the fusion forecasts told me stuff like "Fuse *this guy you will not have for 4 levels*" but I didn't want to waste time leveling the characters I'm not gonna use.

I forgot how long it takes to get your whole party too, I just got Kanji and swapped out Chie, and I'll swap out Yukiko for the next party member but if I remember correctly there's a couple more dungeons before you get the last member so I'm gonna have Yosuke sticking around for a while, so I might as well level him.

The game just feels wrong when you ignore the Yosuke/Yukiko/Chie S.Links, I remember why I used them all first time through. You see them so much the S.Links feel like part of the actual story.

Strange Quark posted:

Physical skills tend to better in boss fights since bosses usually don't have any bosses to exploit and physical skills are on average stronger than magical ones.

Light physical attacks like Cleave have a base power of about 130 while Agi/Bufu/Zio/Garu are all 80.

Yeah for such a mechanics-heavy game it's really weird that they don't break down the numbers for you. "Small amount of physical damage" can be anywhere from 120 > 200, and some that say "Small amount" are actually multi-hit so they can do more than the moderate damage skills.

Also they all have different critical hit rates, something I didn't know until I looked up the numbers just now.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Holy crap I've hit Operation Babe Hunt 2.

It was everything I ever wanted and more.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dr Pepper posted:

I just finished that up myself.

I had to go back and make a separate save file just so I can replay that whenever I want, because goddamn that is hilarious. Especially the various dialogue options you get.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Quiz Show is strangely engaging. Mostly because the characters will sometimes get into little conversations about the questions and to see them just have fun commentary is great. Sadly, you have to basically let them have questions to hear the good dialogue and not just "GENERIC COMPLIMENT."

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Holy poo poo they make you feel like the biggest fucker if you have multiple girlfriends on Valentine's day.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

OmegaZultan posted:

Holy poo poo they make you feel like the biggest fucker if you have multiple girlfriends on Valentine's day.

How the hell did you get to Feb 14 already

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

I just got there too, that was fantastic :allears:

Bad things happening to Yosuke will never not be hilarious.

Bikes are also the best, Dojima is the coolest uncle.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How the hell did you get to Feb 14 already

I've been fast forwarding through the stuff I've already seen, I watched the giant bomb endurance run recently so it went pretty smoothly. Only took me about 50ish hours to get to the true ending.

edit: I hope everyone has been petting the fox before going in dungeons, sometimes he gives you costumes. I just got Bruce Lee suit for Chie

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 25, 2012

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Anyone know how to fuse Thoth? None of the guides I've found online seem to be doing it, and I need him to fuse another thing for one of Margaret's requests.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Anyone know how to fuse Thoth? None of the guides I've found online seem to be doing it, and I need him to fuse another thing for one of Margaret's requests.
Assuming they didn't change anything, here's how fusion works. Thoth is Level 46 Emperor.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Endorph posted:

Assuming they didn't change anything, here's how fusion works. Thoth is Level 46 Emperor.

This is also p. 62 in the manual for another way to reference it.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Just started playing this, after getting my white AC Vita on Friday. I played like a week of FES, but I'm liking this a lot more. Feels more... thoughtful? The translators just did a better job on localizing this on a deeper level, I think. I do have a question though - should I be worried about using too many items? I used one when fighting Shadow Yosuke- not too much of a spoiler but I don't want to ruin it for anyone and had to use a medicine. I know it's a small deal, but I just want to make sure when it comes to items I won't screw myself over in the first dungeon or anything.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Endorph posted:

Well, they had to change some things since there's two new Arcana, Aeon and Jester.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

VarrosAnon posted:

Just started playing this, after getting my white AC Vita on Friday. I played like a week of FES, but I'm liking this a lot more. Feels more... thoughtful? The translators just did a better job on localizing this on a deeper level, I think. I do have a question though - should I be worried about using too many items? I used one when fighting Shadow Yosuke- not too much of a spoiler but I don't want to ruin it for anyone and had to use a medicine. I know it's a small deal, but I just want to make sure when it comes to items I won't screw myself over in the first dungeon or anything.

Don't worry too much about it, soon enough healing items wont be very useful compared to other things you have.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

VarrosAnon posted:

Yeah this game has excellent localization, it manages to remind you you're in Japan without having all the awkwardness from a bad Japanese translation.

Don't worry about using items, that's what they're there for. I've played P4 before and still had to use a lot of healing items in the first several dungeons.

Anyway you want to use stuff like Medicine and Value Medicine early - they only heal 100 HP which is great early on but eventually not worth it. They also make the early game way more manageable, Value Medicine in particular is the only way to full heal your party early on. Even the stuff that stays useful all game like Revival Beads is still worth using because later on it's trivial to buy 30 of them if you need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Beat the game. I really loved all the new stuff tho I didn't get a chance to do the Adachi link.

Highlights of the new stuff for me are The Rock Band scene, the Beach scene, the ski trip, and the new epilogue

New dungeon was interesting, had a tricky boss.

I didn't care much for the Marie S-Link but the eventual payoff in the end of the game was worth it.

Oh and it took me 57 hours to beat the game on Normal with a party of Chie, Yosuke and Yukiko each sporting their new ultimate personas and MC using Yohitsune for the most part.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 25, 2012

• Locked thread