Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pinguliten posted:

Outun? Zaxxon? Phantasy star? Alien Syndrome? Y's The vanished Omens? Just looking a bit at what good SMS games I have.

Heh, the text on Y's is kind of fun. "Reprogrammed game 1988 by Sega" "PLAYERS: 1 (Up to 5 if games are saved and alternated.)"

Heh, there's tons of silly stuff in these master system games. The back of the alien syndrom and battle outrun manuals for example are score books where you are to fill in your scores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

wonder boy 3: the dragons trap is the definitive master system game imo. Golden axe warrior is a zelda clone thats way better than the first zelda.

If any ausgoons want a no case copy of wonder boy in monsterland for sms hit me up, don't have a console to play it any more.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zillion is also a better Metroid than the original IMO. Master System had a pretty wide range of games and I wish that variety carried over to Genesis. Most of Genesis' games were arcade ports and SHMUPS SHMUPS SHMUPS SHMUPS SHMUPS

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

But those shmups are (mostly) great, especially MUSHA :allears:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

PopeCrunch posted:

Yessssss awesome enjoy it!

Now for NES stuff - I have the following, mostly cart only:
Tiny Toon Adventures Cartoon Workshop
Crystalis
Destiny of an Emperor
Dragon Warrior 3 (with manual)
Faxanadu
The Goonies 2
Gyruss
AD&D Pool of Radiance
The Guardian Legend
The Magic of Scheherazade

I also have an NES with two controllers, orange Zapper, power cable, and yellow/white video cable. Either PM me if you're interested in any or all of the above, or drop me an email at popecrunch@gmail.com - just make sure if you email, that you drop a reply in the thread too so I know it's not just some random ebay flipper. I also still have the SNES with one controller, power, and video cable (red/yellow/white) too.

edit: SNES gone, and i definitely have two controllers for the NES along with an orange Zapper.

Sent email about Dragon warrior, faxanadu, AD&D, and Crysalis.

And god damnit, stop putting things I need up in here. You all are breaking my wallets *shakes fist*

If I could go back in time, I'd stop my mom from tossing my old nes/snes collection. At the time it didn't bother me for some reason when she told me.. but now I am kind of really annoyed, cause I'm spending more now to rebuild it, than I did to do the initial build.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 25, 2012

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Well, it turns off my baby's first modding project will be on hold until I figure out what to do about my Gen-X's partially-busted cable now.

The shelf my TV was on just broke tonight, and when it fell, it snapped the little metal prong out of the white sound cable of the three-color cables. (Thankfully the TV ended up fine.. Somehow, despite landing on it's face. The hell.) I thought those were supposed to be all-metal, but I guess they're a thin, hollow metal casing over.. Some kind of white material, maybe plastic? I had to use tweezers to get the broken prong out of the TV slot, there was just barely enough of a metal jagged edge to latch onto.

Since the Gen-X just uses what appears to be a two-way three color cable, I'm kind of assuming I could probably grab a replacement from Radioshack or something, or maybe even see if I have a matching cable from my old VCR somewhere around here. And for the time being, it's still perfectly usable since the video and the other sound cable still work, albiet in spotty mono. But since I'd like to get the most out of my stuff, I'm wondering if I can just solder that part back in there.

Is this advisable to try, or would it not work/just make for more risk in snapping off and this time getting stuck in the TV port? :confused:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Just buy a drat NES and Genesis, gently caress clones.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Silhouette posted:

Just buy a drat NES and Genesis, gently caress clones.

Should be at the top of the Retro Game Commandments.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Clones are the USB turntables of retro game playing/collecting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wouldn't have anything bad to say about clones if most of them weren't literally more expensive than the console in question and are rarely any smaller. I'm the type of guy who will take a hit to quality for a significantly smaller unit but it's not usually the case.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Anybody happen to know if there are any sites with Everdrive MDs still in stock? Or if there are any hints out there of when another run might be made? Every place I look it's just back-ordered for the indefinite future.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

al-azad posted:

I wouldn't have anything bad to say about clones if most of them weren't literally more expensive than the console in question and are rarely any smaller. I'm the type of guy who will take a hit to quality for a significantly smaller unit but it's not usually the case.

On the inverse, I actually bought a Yobo FC Game Console (NES support only) for $15 at a local used media shop because it was small as poo poo, cheap and LOOKED like it would be compatible with real controllers. Tuns out it isn't really and takes a lot of wiggling around to get them to work right, especially with Zappers which is what I bought it for in the first place. It's not even worth the effort. The controllers it came with fit and work fine, but they're poorly designed and stress your thumbs after a few minutes. Also the colors aren't right (reds seem more dominant than any other colors), but at least it works. You get what you pay for.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I can't even understand the appeal of clones. Half emulation/half slapped together hardware, less compatibility, sound issues, made of high-gloss red plastic that looks like crap, for virtually the same price as the actual system. Why do they exist?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Because not everyone has the space for three consoles, and if you're just getting into retro game collecting, one of the combination clone consoles is probably cheaper than a NES/SNES/Genesis. Hell I've been tempted by one because I barely have space for the ones I have, and I'm already having to constantly switch out TV and power cords.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Because not everyone has the space for three consoles, and if you're just getting into retro game collecting, one of the combination clone consoles is probably cheaper than a NES/SNES/Genesis.

At this point I just recommend a PSP 2000/3000 or some other portable device with emulators. Most devices these days have TV out and really good emulation. A decent netbook is less than $200 and can probably run everything perfectly up to N64/PS1. I'll recommend that over a clone any day.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Speaking of emulation, is Saturn emulation usable? I ask because the criteria for 'should i sell this' is whether or not I can emulate it effectively, and I am looking long and hard at the Saturn and games.

edit: SPEAKING OF SATURN. Do you know what that sound is? That's the sound of the next like five hours vanishing into thin air. http://www.ventoline.com/frozenbubble/ PUZZLE BOBBLE, BITCHES :fyadride:

PopeCrunch fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 25, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

al-azad posted:

At this point I just recommend a PSP 2000/3000 or some other portable device with emulators. Most devices these days have TV out and really good emulation. A decent netbook is less than $200 and can probably run everything perfectly up to N64/PS1. I'll recommend that over a clone any day.

That's still a decent investment though. You can get a Retron 3 and a few games for each system for $100. And if you find you enjoy the hobby, then you can invest in original hardware. Clone consoles certainly aren't for everybody but I just find the random hatred for them to be kind of silly. Admittedly a PSP is probably the same price if not slightly cheaper, but then you're running ROMs and not actually collecting games, and at least for the Sega, the controls aren't quite right.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Because not everyone has the space for three consoles, and if you're just getting into retro game collecting, one of the combination clone consoles is probably cheaper than a NES/SNES/Genesis. Hell I've been tempted by one because I barely have space for the ones I have, and I'm already having to constantly switch out TV and power cords.

Honestly, I'd say that if you're thinking about a clone, you'd probably actually be better served by using high-accuracy emulators (and a Retrode if you want to use carts and original controllers) since most of the ones that I'm aware of blow the clone systems out of the water.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Clone consoles certainly aren't for everybody but I just find the random hatred for them to be kind of silly.

Inaccurate with some games, potentially incompatible with others and hardware peripherals, not necessarily that cheap anyway, and no one wants them on their own (lack of) merits - so if you don't like it, you're either stuck with it, contributing to the e-waste problem, or trying to find a bigger sucker.

As I see it, there's little to recommend clones; even if you're just dabbling in retrogaming and don't want to go whole hog, buying the original hardware is both more accurate, more satisfying, and also easier to dispose of financially than spending at least $20 or $30 $40 or $50 or $70 on an unsatisfactory clone. And for something like the Sega Genesis, it's not really that costly to buy a real Model 1 or Model 2.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Kreeblah posted:

Honestly, I'd say that if you're thinking about a clone, you'd probably actually be better served by using high-accuracy emulators (and a Retrode if you want to use carts and original controllers) since most of the ones that I'm aware of blow the clone systems out of the water.

There are actually quite a few games clone systems can't play.

Castlevania 3. Super Mario RPG. Star Fox. it goes on and on.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ineffiable posted:

There are actually quite a few games clone systems can't play.

Castlevania 3. Super Mario RPG. Star Fox. it goes on and on.

Yep, and good emulators will play all of those just fine. If somebody's not sure about getting into retro gaming, it'd be a much better experience than trying to figure out why some games don't work on a clone.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

PopeCrunch posted:

Speaking of emulation, is Saturn emulation usable? I ask because the criteria for 'should i sell this' is whether or not I can emulate it effectively, and I am looking long and hard at the Saturn and games.

edit: SPEAKING OF SATURN. Do you know what that sound is? That's the sound of the next like five hours vanishing into thin air. http://www.ventoline.com/frozenbubble/ PUZZLE BOBBLE, BITCHES :fyadride:

Usable? Definitely, just look to here and click the "Ver0.12 beta R3" link. http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~phantasy/ssf/

It's not strictly "100%", and you'll need to source an official Saturn bios for full compatibility, but the emulation works well enough for me to run Burning Rangers at max fps with no problems.

As an aside, even though this is a "beta" and hasn't been updated in forever, it is far and away the best Saturn emulator around.

EDIT: Looks like there's a (old) compatibility list here. I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of these problems have been resolved.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 25, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PopeCrunch posted:

It depends. I had no problems running Dungeons & Dragons, Princess Crown, or Nanatsu Kaze but Croc and some 3D games gave me problems.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PopeCrunch posted:

You bastard! I've actively avoided Puzzle Bobble for years due to its addictive effects on me, and now you've basically dropped it in my lap.

Must be strong... mustn't click.... mustn't click... :shepface:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I last tried Saturn emulation about a year ago, but MechWarrior 2 and Magic Knight Rayearth ran perfectly fine. I really should just get my Saturn chipped.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kirbysuperstar posted:

I last tried Saturn emulation about a year ago, but MechWarrior 2 and Magic Knight Rayearth ran perfectly fine. I really should just get my Saturn chipped.

Being a hardcore MW2 player back in the day [god the days I dumped into that game] I cannot imagine playing it with a pad. I think we discussed this last thread that it works okay with one of the controllers, though?

Soooo my HD Box Pro has a problem. Hamburger dude, the SLG is AWESOME. I booted up my PS2 with it hooked to my HD Box, and after a little tweaking got it working. Looks incredibly fuckin neato.

However the HD Box still has that goddamn video interference/noise problem and it's BAD. Like I notice it a lot worse on my little 4:3 17" Dell LCD. going to try to track down a better power supply, but if that doesn't work, back to the company it goes for a new one. It's not cables, because I'm using brand new VGA cables on it [and out from the SLG] and a totally different console video cable than when I saw it with the Wii.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like that Shaddowgate Kickstarter is gonna make it, but it's a long way off from making any of its stretch goals. There's under a day left, so if anybody's been thinking about pledging, now's the time.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I've started rebuilding my Wii collection (getting a WiiU) so heads-up if you're doing the same or consider Wii to be retro now: People are selling their Wii collections for hella cheap. I am regularly seeing whole consoles with like 6 AAA games and other junk for 100€ or less on our Craigslist, going to start buying these, picking a few games I like and reselling the rest on Amazon et al. Wiis aren't in high demand anymore but the consoles still fetch 40-50€ and the rest sells as well as ever.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Oh man I was totally kidding; I wasn't offended. I think you should definitely check out "High Tech World" though. It's nothing like the other games. It's actually really odd. Writing down phone numbers, talking to Sega employees, it's just a totally strange game where the main goal is to get to an arcade to play awesome Sega brand games.

Wonderboy in Monsterland is one of my favorites but it's annoying how impossible it is. I couldn't beat it using save-states a few years ago, and tried it with some friends a few months ago using real hardware (well, a Genesis with the Master System controller since I don't own an SMS). The game is impossible. It's that drat timer. The final castle is ridiculous, and we even used the only cheat the game has which is press pause a billion times on controller 2 to get lots and lots of GP. Still can't beat the drat thing. I love it, though.

Ahaha, you sneaky fellar. I honestly could not tell if you were serious or not but i thought "uh oh, best not offend this guy." :D Might check it out, i do remember someone mentioning the amount of Sega advertising in it.

I can get to that last castle in Wonderboy in Monsterland as well...Couldn't beat it, can't even get to the last boss. It's not just you, it is ballsack tearingly hard. I watched a guy's Long play of it (just the end castle bit), so somehow it actually is possible.

Pinguliten posted:

Outun? Zaxxon? Phantasy star? Alien Syndrome? Y's The vanished Omens? Just looking a bit at what good SMS games I have.

Heh, the text on Y's is kind of fun. "Reprogrammed game 1988 by Sega" "PLAYERS: 1 (Up to 5 if games are saved and alternated.)"

Heh, there's tons of silly stuff in these master system games. The back of the alien syndrom and battle outrun manuals for example are score books where you are to fill in your scores

I have played none of these except Outrun. I am a bad man, and will set out to resolve this failure in my life. That 5 players thing amuses me. I think the scores thing in the manual was pretty common, as was a place to put notes and stuff.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

I've started rebuilding my Wii collection (getting a WiiU) so heads-up if you're doing the same or consider Wii to be retro now: People are selling their Wii collections for hella cheap. I am regularly seeing whole consoles with like 6 AAA games and other junk for 100€ or less on our Craigslist, going to start buying these, picking a few games I like and reselling the rest on Amazon et al. Wiis aren't in high demand anymore but the consoles still fetch 40-50€ and the rest sells as well as ever.
Hey, good idea. I wonder if that means I can grab Xenoblade and The Last Story for cheap(er) now :getin: :unsmigghh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ohnoitschris posted:

Hey, good idea. I wonder if that means I can grab Xenoblade and The Last Story for cheap(er) now :getin: :unsmigghh:

Those two are probably going to become the Earthbound/Panzer Dragoon Saga of the Wii in a few years, so grab them if you spot'em. Unless you're in the PAL region, that is (though I haven't seen a copy of Xenoblade in the wild in quite some time). Pandora's Tower is probably a rarity too, but it's not as great as the other two games. The only other games that might be valuable/rare off the top of my head would be Muramasa, Sin and Punishment Successor to the Skies/Star Successor (in the US), or Super Mario Bros All-Stars.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Those two are probably going to become the Earthbound/Panzer Dragoon Saga of the Wii in a few years, so grab them if you spot'em. Unless you're in the PAL region, that is (though I haven't seen a copy of Xenoblade in the wild in quite some time). Pandora's Tower is probably a rarity too, but it's not as great as the other two games. The only other games that might be valuable/rare off the top of my head would be Muramasa, Sin and Punishment Successor to the Skies/Star Successor (in the US), or Super Mario Bros All-Stars.

I don't think they will be as rare or as much as in demand, but they will do a good job of keeping value. Only time will tell, but unless there's an insane story behind the games rarity (there was a ps3 sports game that was shipped out and sold to/in retailers for one day and then all (unsold) copies were sent back) a lot of disc based games tend to have a relatively good amount of stock out there in the wild.

But the Last Story first pressing edition will probably command over MSRP in the near future.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

the_lion posted:

Ahaha, you sneaky fellar. I honestly could not tell if you were serious or not but i thought "uh oh, best not offend this guy." :D Might check it out, i do remember someone mentioning the amount of Sega advertising in it.

I can get to that last castle in Wonderboy in Monsterland as well...Couldn't beat it, can't even get to the last boss. It's not just you, it is ballsack tearingly hard. I watched a guy's Long play of it (just the end castle bit), so somehow it actually is possible.

Holy crap man; that's kind of depressing you thought I could be serious when I said "HOW ABOUT YOU SHUT YOUR drat MOUTH" in caps, just because of your preference in an Alex Kidd game. Depressing because it was so easy for you to assume I could be that much of an rear end in a top hat :)

I watched an LP of Monsterland and it only made me less likely to ever try to beat the game because even after the maze of a castle at the end, there's still the dragon's dungeon and the dragon himself. Maybe I'll try the arcade version one day since I can just keep adding credits. I can't believe there's no way to do cheat codes in SMS games :(

Code Jockey posted:

Being a hardcore MW2 player back in the day [god the days I dumped into that game] I cannot imagine playing it with a pad. I think we discussed this last thread that it works okay with one of the controllers, though?

Soooo my HD Box Pro has a problem. Hamburger dude, the SLG is AWESOME. I booted up my PS2 with it hooked to my HD Box, and after a little tweaking got it working. Looks incredibly fuckin neato.

However the HD Box still has that goddamn video interference/noise problem and it's BAD. Like I notice it a lot worse on my little 4:3 17" Dell LCD. going to try to track down a better power supply, but if that doesn't work, back to the company it goes for a new one. It's not cables, because I'm using brand new VGA cables on it [and out from the SLG] and a totally different console video cable than when I saw it with the Wii.

Hey man like other people in this thread say; they'd rather it go to a happy home then to someone who is just going to flip it on eBay. I bought it, thought I'd use it, and didn't because I found I didn't care for scanlines/could use the scanlines in my XRGB Mini. I literally was happier giving it to you for free than selling it.

The noise issue on the HD Box: can you describe what it looks like a bit?

Ineffiable posted:

I don't think they will be as rare or as much as in demand, but they will do a good job of keeping value. Only time will tell, but unless there's an insane story behind the games rarity (there was a ps3 sports game that was shipped out and sold to/in retailers for one day and then all (unsold) copies were sent back) a lot of disc based games tend to have a relatively good amount of stock out there in the wild.

But the Last Story first pressing edition will probably command over MSRP in the near future.

Ooohh, can you share the story on the PS3 game? I love trivia like that.

Xenoblade probably will be worth quite a bit. The pathetic Super Mario Collection for the Wii tripled in value, but that went to poo poo when Nintendo pressed more copies. Xenoblade is going to be just like the Gamecube component cables, because other than ordering from Gamestop, you can only get it from store.nintendo.com.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 25, 2012

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
^^^

It was NBA Elite 11. I worked at a best buy at the time and we had a box of them kicking around the back for a while before they got shipped back. I was always tempted to snag one, but I never did.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Why does it have to be such a good time to buy for so many consoles? Wii will most likely start climbing a lot by the end of next year, but there's also Xbox which is stupid cheap right now. And I want to start collecting for the N64 too on top of trying to build up my pathetic Dreamcast/Sega/SNES collections, and there's Gamecube stuff too since I finally have my Wii back which is an older Gamecube compatible model. :argh: :retrogames:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Why does it have to be such a good time to buy for so many consoles? Wii will most likely start climbing a lot by the end of next year, but there's also Xbox which is stupid cheap right now. And I want to start collecting for the N64 too on top of trying to build up my pathetic Dreamcast/Sega/SNES collections, and there's Gamecube stuff too since I finally have my Wii back which is an older Gamecube compatible model. :argh: :retrogames:

It's a good time to buy as long as you don't need NES/SNES stuff.

Genesis has always been stupid cheap (save some of the rpgs)

N64 prices are likely to rise moreso over the next few years, and it's hard to see PSX rising as much (RPGs are going to command most of the demand anyway and every other game was produced in higher numbers than most N64 games).

:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

Ambitious Spider posted:

^^^

It was NBA Elite 11. I worked at a best buy at the time and we had a box of them kicking around the back for a while before they got shipped back. I was always tempted to snag one, but I never did.

Thanks, that was the one. It won't be Stadium Events, but there will be some collectors who have a high demand for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think you mean Xenoblade, MiyamotosRGB. Xenosaga's the PS2 trilogy. I wasn't actually aware All-Stars got another print run, it must've been only in the US.

Go for the Dreamcast and Gamecube games first, they'll climb in price at a more steeper rate due to the possibility of scratches.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you mean Xenoblade, MiyamotosRGB. Xenosaga's the PS2 trilogy. I wasn't actually aware All-Stars got another print run, it must've been only in the US.

oh yeah, my bad. Xenoblade.

And yeah Mario was going for $90 at one point (the game was only $30) but Nintendo did another print run and ruined that. I'm tempted to pick up a few Kirby Collections for the Wii. It's at the end of the Wii's life so it probably won't get a reprint.

Basically what I am saying is I learned my lesson not buying 400 copies of Earthbound in 1995.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

oh yeah, my bad. Xenoblade.

And yeah Mario was going for $90 at one point (the game was only $30) but Nintendo did another print run and ruined that. I'm tempted to pick up a few Kirby Collections for the Wii. It's at the end of the Wii's life so it probably won't get a reprint.

Basically what I am saying is I learned my lesson not buying 400 copies of Earthbound in 1995.

They still haven't released the Kirby Collection in the PAL territories. Dammit Nintendo, why don't you want my money? :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They still haven't released the Kirby Collection in the PAL territories. Dammit Nintendo, why don't you want my money? :negative:

Do you want me to export one for you?

• Locked thread