Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

OmegaZultan posted:

Beat the game. I really loved all the new stuff tho I didn't get a chance to do the Adachi link.

Highlights of the new stuff for me are The Rock Band scene, the Beach scene, the ski trip, and the new epilogue

New dungeon was interesting, had a tricky boss.

I didn't care much for the Marie S-Link but the eventual payoff in the end of the game was worth it.

Oh and it took me 57 hours to beat the game with a party of Chie, Yosuke and Yukiko each sporting their new ultimate personas and MC using Yohitsune for the most part.
You can start that link really early btw. I've read some weird stuff on how you're supposed to max it though...

And Jesus man I was bedridden all weekend and I still "only" got 15 hours in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I played the game while I did a bunch of other stuff, mostly watching Desert Bus for Hope 6, which kept me up to ungodly hours of the night every day anyway, so the game felt like it went by super fast.

This tv listing stuff is really cool, tho I'm kind of surprised they didn't subtitle the trailer for the p4 anime.

edit: did the original version of the game have an 8 bit version of the boss theme for Mitsuo? I don't remember it having one and if it is new then its a great addition.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 25, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

After working retail Black Friday and yesterday I've finally woken from my temporary coma to get to play. The system went to sleep while the game was auto-scrolling text. Oh Persona I forgot just how long your intro was.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Len posted:

After working retail Black Friday and yesterday I've finally woken from my temporary coma to get to play. The system went to sleep while the game was auto-scrolling text. Oh Persona I forgot just how long your intro was.

This has got to be the only game with this much exposition that I'm totally okay with. Generally, games I play with this much goddamn dialog (MGS4, Final Fantasy, etc) either get too complicated or too ridiculous. I think Persona 4's magic, at least for me, comes down to self-awareness. There are no scenes or lines I would peg as unnecessary, and it has a great quality to the story that, even with general teenager dialog that can sometimes be very valley-girl, it always seems well-written and engaging.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

VarrosAnon posted:

This has got to be the only game with this much exposition that I'm totally okay with. Generally, games I play with this much goddamn dialog (MGS4, Final Fantasy, etc) either get too complicated or too ridiculous. I think Persona 4's magic, at least for me, comes down to self-awareness. There are no scenes or lines I would peg as unnecessary, and it has a great quality to the story that, even with general teenager dialog that can sometimes be very valley-girl, it always seems well-written and engaging.

Even if there weren't any lines that were unnecessary (There aren't) it is still ridiculous how long the intro is, especially during multiple playthroughs where you don't want to see the exact same thing again and just want to do what you missed. Even skipping the scenes takes nearly an hour to do and it is the worst part of the game because it refuses to just let you play it until you go through it's exposition filled opening, which is obnoxious.

Anyways on another subject, I did not remember Naoto's dungeon being so drat obnoxious. Then again, the new gold hands in that one are at their worst there because not only do they still forever to kill, but they can inflict status ailments that can render your party completely ineffectual (Enervation and Panic) and eat up several turns if you don't have any items to fix it. But drat, do they give a lot of EXP for just killing one of them.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 25, 2012

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

VarrosAnon posted:

Just started playing this, after getting my white AC Vita on Friday. I played like a week of FES, but I'm liking this a lot more. Feels more... thoughtful? The translators just did a better job on localizing this on a deeper level, I think. I do have a question though - should I be worried about using too many items? I used one when fighting Shadow Yosuke- not too much of a spoiler but I don't want to ruin it for anyone and had to use a medicine. I know it's a small deal, but I just want to make sure when it comes to items I won't screw myself over in the first dungeon or anything.

You get so many items that you'll never use in SMT games it not funny. Use whatever you want, especially if you need it to beat a boss. In general keep one of each of the elemental attack items for emergencies, keep the magic/physical walls until you met a enemy that uses mind/power charge, and try to save somas to save yourself some work on the longer boss fights towards the end of the game.

By the middle of the game you should have spells that take care of everything, so you only really have to worry about items if the party's sp runs out or if your healer can't cure people for some reason.

[e] The attack items are also good for the enemies with a all resistances and only 50 hp since they deal a set amount.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Upgrading Yosuke and Chie's Social Links has allowed them to cure Panic randomly during their turns...by slapping me in the face and saying "Snap out of it, man!"

Funny as hell, AND useful!

edit: You apparently have to burn up a lot of afternoons practicing on your scooter before you unlock all possible destinations with it... Hmm...hope it's worth it...

Speedball fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 25, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It is worth it. Use your scooter as soon as you can.

Dr. Video Games 0156
Jan 1, 2005
romantic comedy wahhhh
For those of you who powered through this and are near/at the end, a few questions:

1) I somehow missed Quests 67 and 68. I knew the end of the game was coming up and I was scouring the city for them, but the new dungeon came & went and now I'm on the final day of the True Ending and I guess that means I missed them since now I'm locked in TV land just like the original. I don't want to miss them again on NG+ and the guides on gamefaqs don't have them yet...any advice?

2) Similarly, the guides on gamefaqs only offer the briefest wishy-washy explanation about how to get (or what causes you to miss) the miss-able books for the "read all books" trophy. With as much as I love this game and as much as I don't normally care about trophychievements, I feel like it would be a shame to do everything else but be missing a platinum because I leveled up a social link too quickly or something.

Anybody here have more insight?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Speedball posted:

Upgrading Yosuke and Chie's Social Links has allowed them to cure Panic randomly during their turns...by slapping me in the face and saying "Snap out of it, man!"

Funny as hell, AND useful!

If you think that's good, you should see Kanji's version :allears:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I can't believe I played this game when you lost all progress for dying. I just got a game over and only had to restart a floor but I lost 2 level up persona cards that have my rakshasa auto attack buff, a gold treasure box, and a rainy day monster I didn't have and I'm already annoye.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Dr. Video Games 0156 posted:

For those of you who powered through this and are near/at the end, a few questions:

1) I somehow missed Quests 67 and 68. I knew the end of the game was coming up and I was scouring the city for them, but the new dungeon came & went and now I'm on the final day of the True Ending and I guess that means I missed them since now I'm locked in TV land just like the original. I don't want to miss them again on NG+ and the guides on gamefaqs don't have them yet...any advice?

2) Similarly, the guides on gamefaqs only offer the briefest wishy-washy explanation about how to get (or what causes you to miss) the miss-able books for the "read all books" trophy. With as much as I love this game and as much as I don't normally care about trophychievements, I feel like it would be a shame to do everything else but be missing a platinum because I leveled up a social link too quickly or something.

Anybody here have more insight?

I think that the book you can get from hanging out with Strength (The O-Cha Way) is only missable if you are doing the basketball version. If you go with Soccer you shouldn't have any issues.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Her mouth was sewn shut but her eyes were still wide
Gazing through the fog to the other side
Is it worth taking up a whole day just to kill the optional bosses? The weapon from the first one is pretty nice, but will it keep up in the next castle? And how much do courage do you get anyways?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

hctibyllis posted:

Is it worth taking up a whole day just to kill the optional bosses? The weapon from the first one is pretty nice, but will it keep up in the next castle? And how much do courage do you get anyways?

Just do it on the side when you unlock the next dungeon so you'll save some time. All the rewards from the bonus bosses are very, very nice though.

Dr. Video Games 0156
Jan 1, 2005
romantic comedy wahhhh

Tricky posted:

I think that the book you can get from hanging out with Strength (The O-Cha Way) is only missable if you are doing the basketball version. If you go with Soccer you shouldn't have any issues.

Thanks, I'll definitely try Soccer next time. Apparently there are actually 3 Strength-arcana books that are all missable, and the one FAQ that mentions this at all seems to imply that you should just get to rank 4 and stop entirely until you get all three books?

Spoilered copy-paste from it (just in case):

Strength Social Link Books-> May 29 S.Link Hang out Event
July 15 S.Link Hang out Event
August 10 S.Link Hang out Event

(Strength Social Link needs to be around rank 4 or higher, to
obtain these events, but do not max it either, or else they
will not occur.)

---------------------------------------------
|Title : Witch Detective |
|Found : Sport Club Event May 29 |
|Effects: Increase Understanding and Diligence|
|Title : Fun with Numbers |
|Found : Sport Club Event on July 15, July 17|
|Effects: Increase Understanding and Diligence|
|Title : The O-Cha Way |
|Found : Sport Club Event August 10 |
|Effects: Increase Knowledge and Expression |

I actually missed all three of those books the first time through, because I didn't get the call for the first one so I just shrugged and decided I'd do it on NG+ but now I'm nervous. In the absence of more info I'll just pick Soccer and keep Strength at rank 4 until I get all of them, I guess?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

hctibyllis posted:

Is it worth taking up a whole day just to kill the optional bosses? The weapon from the first one is pretty nice, but will it keep up in the next castle?
That's the +50 SP weapon for Yukiko, right? On my last playthrough of the vanilla version, I kept that for the rest of the game. It's not as if she'll be doing that much physical attacking, and more SP is always a good thing. Maybe there's a weapon somewhere that gives her +100 SP or something like that, but I've never found one.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Good point about the SP. Maybe I'm missing something obvious (or haven't progressed far enough yet), but how do you get into an older castle once you've unlocked the next one?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

To get to the older dungeons and areas you talk to the person who's shadow you fought there.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

hctibyllis posted:

Good point about the SP. Maybe I'm missing something obvious (or haven't progressed far enough yet), but how do you get into an older castle once you've unlocked the next one?

Talk to Yukiko in the hub area, IIRC.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

hctibyllis posted:

Talk to the person the dungeon was about in the main hub of the TV world, they'll give you an option to go back to their dungeon.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

That's the +50 SP weapon for Yukiko, right? On my last playthrough of the vanilla version, I kept that for the rest of the game. It's not as if she'll be doing that much physical attacking, and more SP is always a good thing. Maybe there's a weapon somewhere that gives her +100 SP or something like that, but I've never found one.

The Amaterasu Fob is another great item to find. +30% Max HP. Chie can Rampage so many times now :swoon:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Earlier there was talk of a scene from the Persona 4 animation where Yu is grinding socail links. I haven't been able to find it; does anyone have a link?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's a pair of episodes, numbers 13 and 14. I think you can watch them with the free hulu account: http://www.hulu.com/watch/317826#i0,p9,s1,d0

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Schubalts posted:

It is worth it. Use your scooter as soon as you can.

Wait, there's destinations other than Okina city?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Yes, you can go to the BEACH. And you can fish there, swim there, and contemplate the vastness of the ocean. Swimming gives you stat boosts, and contemplating can get you Persona boosts.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Yes, you can go to the BEACH. And you can fish there, swim there, and contemplate the vastness of the ocean. Swimming gives you stat boosts, and contemplating can get you Persona boosts.

Ffffff....I need to start riding my scooter.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Tried fighting the optional boss in Yukiko's dungeon. That went a little less than well. Glad they made the new restart from last floor option. I would have hated to lose all of my progress getting there.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

JetGrind posted:

Tried fighting the optional boss in Yukiko's dungeon. That went a little less than well. Glad they made the new restart from last floor option. I would have hated to lose all of my progress getting there.
Yeah, like I said earlier in the thread, that guy might be just a little bit overpowered. I think I was at level 21 when I beat him (usually I wait until I have Rakshasa, but this time I decided to try without), and he still almost killed the entire party with Rampage.

Looks like the beach event is coming up in a few days. If the conversation about it earlier is anything to go by, this is going to be glorious.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I can't wait to get to the actual game...

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

My success with the secret boss in Yukiko's dungeon was dependent entirely on me beating it before it could use Rampage. It felt like the boss used that move randomly, so I was probably a little lucky that I beat it when I did. I also went on to be Kanji's secret boss in that same session, that one was much easier.

Bubba77
Jan 10, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

My success with the secret boss in Yukiko's dungeon was dependent entirely on me beating it before it could use Rampage. It felt like the boss used that move randomly, so I was probably a little lucky that I beat it when I did. I also went on to be Kanji's secret boss in that same session, that one was much easier.

Im level 18 and he always uses rampage on his second turn which I can not survive. Im guessing Fire is his weakness since his first move is to shield himself from it. Any tips?

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

Bubba77 posted:

Im level 18 and he always uses rampage on his second turn which I can not survive. Im guessing Fire is his weakness since his first move is to shield himself from it. Any tips?

He absorbs fire, that's just to trick you :ssh:

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Bubba77 posted:

Wait to do the optional boss until the next dungeon. Rampage will 1 shot most of your party until then, and although I'm sure you can brute force your way to beating it, it's not worth the effort. I did the first optional boss right before I did the second, I was around level 25, and it was really easy as you should have access to mediarama by then.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So um, after saving Naoto you get dragged into doing a stupid band thing... this is terrible. It's not funny, it has no point, it's incredibly contrived, and it's eating up the remaining days I have because they felt the need to give Rie Kugimiya some dumb song for her to sing. Also, how in the hell does the group just suddenly learn a song through practicing one day? Especially when like two of them have any sort of experience with music?

I know I'm probably overthinking this, but it's one of those things they added that was stupid and unnecessary.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So um, after saving Naoto you get dragged into doing a stupid band thing... this is terrible. It's not funny, it has no point, it's incredibly contrived, and it's eating up the remaining days I have because they felt the need to give Rie Kugimiya some dumb song for her to sing. Also, how in the hell does the group just suddenly learn a song through practicing one day? Especially when like two of them have any sort of experience with music?

I know I'm probably overthinking this, but it's one of those things they added that was stupid and unnecessary.
Considering that someone just counted that as one of their highlights of the game on this very page, someone probably did think it was funny.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Regence posted:

Wait to do the optional boss until the next dungeon.

You can do it at lv17. Just debuff his hit and buff your evasion. Still a bit of luck involved, but far from impossible.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Bought a vita just for this game. I have made the right choice.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Persona 3: this little girl just told me her parents hit her and she wants to run away and there isn't an option to go to the police? What??

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

What happens in the family is their business.

That's Japan logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba77
Jan 10, 2010

hctibyllis posted:

You can do it at lv17. Just debuff his hit and buff your evasion. Still a bit of luck involved, but far from impossible.

ANy amazing loot you get from this mini-boss thats worth the effort? Im not a completionist

• Locked thread