Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

I just hope they won't trip over that little guy on a scooter :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

casa de mi padre posted:

I'm surprised the stamp ISN'T wrong for the sake of people being able to read "deny" on it.

Your usual "the audience is dumb as sticks" poster would do that.

For a while I thought it was a Hershey's bar...

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Why do they do this? Is it too much to get the actors to come in for a few hours and pose for a poster shot?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Baron Bifford posted:

Why do they do this? Is it too much to get the actors to come in for a few hours and pose for a poster shot?

It's not necessarily that it's "too much", it's that most movie studios simply don't care. Unfortunately time has shown that the average moviegoer doesn't really care whether a movie poster is well put-together and interesting, so the studios don't see much point in paying for quality work.

It's also why Mondo does such good business, as the only place to find nice movie posters these days is from smaller companies or lone artists.

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's not necessarily that it's "too much", it's that most movie studios simply don't care. Unfortunately time has shown that the average moviegoer doesn't really care whether a movie poster is well put-together and interesting, so the studios don't see much point in paying for quality work.

It's also why Mondo does such good business, as the only place to find nice movie posters these days is from smaller companies or lone artists.

I wonder if the actors ever find it weird, like if they look up at the poster during the premiere and think, "waaaaait a second... I don't remember getting that photo taken." Or maybe it's become such a common practice that they don't think twice about it.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Does anyone know of any good tumblrs or blogs about movie posters? Thanks.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Captain Geech posted:

I wonder if the actors ever find it weird, like if they look up at the poster during the premiere and think, "waaaaait a second... I don't remember getting that photo taken." Or maybe it's become such a common practice that they don't think twice about it.

Didn't Keira Knightley comment about the boobs they added to her in that poster of King Arthur?
I swear there was an interview about it...

La Piel que Habito, I guess these are fan-made? Because they have a "Saw" vibe, and from what I remember the movie was nothing like that:

I loved the teaser poster instead. Old medical illustrations are awesome:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Desperado Bones posted:

I loved the teaser poster instead. Old medical illustrations are awesome:

That's an interesting piece, as it mixes art from more than one artist. The flamingo is one of Audobons most famous prints, and the body definitely isn't his. Not sure about the flowers, but I have a hunch they're not Audobons either.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Captain Geech posted:

I remember Denise Richards worked to get her butt un-replaced on the Undercover Brother poster.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Isn't "curry muncher" an ethnic slur in the UK?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Why are all those people worshipping a comically oversized pepper mill?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The answer to both of those questions is New Zealand.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I kinda figure New Zealand would be welcoming to immigrants of all nationalities. I mean as long as they aren't sheep.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's one of those things where if it's made by the minority, they can use the light slur comedicly applied to themselves.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 26, 2012

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

MikeJF posted:

It's one of those things where if it's made by the minority, they can use the light slur comedicly applied to themselves.

Example #2

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Jango Fett stars in "PIZZA HANDS".

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Gonz posted:

Jango Fett stars in "PIZZA HANDS".
I picture a high school kid working in a pizza shop, somehow mob money or "dough" is misunderstood as pizza dough, and all of a sudden the guy is on the run from the mob using his knowledge as a delivery driver to elude their thugs. The pizza teen has a kid brother and a girlfriend as well.

Imagine "Drive" crossed with "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" crossed with every lovely movie about kids besting criminal masterminds.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

casa de mi padre posted:

I picture a high school kid working in a pizza shop, somehow mob money or "dough" is misunderstood as pizza dough, and all of a sudden the guy is on the run from the mob using his knowledge as a delivery driver to elude their thugs. The pizza teen has a kid brother and a girlfriend as well.

Imagine "Drive" crossed with "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" crossed with every lovely movie about kids besting criminal masterminds.

There's also a twist ending where Pizza Hands is kidnapped by Powers Boothe and is waterboarded.

With olive oil.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 26, 2012

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Baron Bifford posted:

How much do you think Reese Witherspoon charges for a few hours of her time, inc. travel and expenses, to do a photo shoot for a movie she likely wrapped on weeks or months earlier, while probably in the middle of filming something else?

Maybe she's in another part of the world. Maybe she got a haircut.

Multiply by 3 actors, and find a gap in their schedules when they're all free.

Photoshop costs how much?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Baron Bifford posted:

This is one particular example where I can imagine it's intentional, though - it might be more work to get the actors to look that perfectly mirrored, than photoshopping one guy's pose to look like it's a different suit.

Doesn't excuse the plentitude of examples this thread has produced of cases where a person's legs, arms, middle, upper torso and head all seem to have come from different sources, though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
In regards to changes in posters and actor's reactions I remember the main actor from the movie Once getting pissed off at the DVD cover for the movie and the changes that were made. Something about it misrepresenting the film by having the two main characters holding hands so it would seem like a romantic film.
This isn't really the same though as he wasn't angry about how he looked on the cover.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

There is a "real" version of this concept too:

But the photoshopped one is much more versatile. If you search on Google, you can see that they used about a dozen variations for various markets and aspect ratios. Like there's a version with Reese in front, and the guys swapped so the guns are facing away:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That is such a bad poster it hurts my head to see it so many times.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

smackfu posted:

There is a "real" version of this concept too:

This one is actually pretty clever. Its a shame they didn't use it over the more sterile, tag-lined one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Vegetable posted:

That is such a bad poster it hurts my head to see it so many times.

How about this variant:

Wonder if they got a cease and desist for the original "spy vs spy" version:

And might as well throw in the terrible Blu-Ray cover here:

Lens flares! Chris Pines giant hair! Crazy title modification! (why is it a stamp AND an editors insert mark???)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Young Kirk and Young Picard battle over Reese Witherspoon.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Young Kirk and Young Picard battle over Reese Witherspoon.

Oh my god you're right, he was young Picard (well, his clone), it never dawned on me. :waycool:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The premise of that movie is much better than the way it was executed.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

smackfu posted:

And might as well throw in the terrible Blu-Ray cover here:

Lens flares! Chris Pines giant hair! Crazy title modification! (why is it a stamp AND an editors insert mark???)

I don't know, but I can't not read that as "This Means: More War Edition".

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm pretty sure they have the exact same left hand

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I'm pretty sure they have the exact same left hand

Almost, but not quite.

Suzuki Method posted:

^^ :aaa: ^^^

Turns out they're not the same hand! I thought they were. Either that or someone did a major warping job on the fingernail and the curve of the index/middle fingers. :eng101:

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 28, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I suspect it's the same model's body a tenth of a second later.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

I thought the name of this movie was "Ride Like Hell" for a couple of minutes.

Bagelsport
Nov 14, 2005

I picked up a doctor - he's good with a knife
Says anaesthetic's a waste
of his time
Putting motion lines and blur all over the place and then leaving the spokes crystal clear like he's doing a track stand seems poorly thought out to me.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

PaganGoatPants posted:

I thought the name of this movie was "Ride Like Hell" for a couple of minutes.

I'm sure they put it there when they realised the poster was just JGL looking disgusted at you for starting at his rear end.

It is a terrible poster.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Why does he have so much pomade in his hair?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mister Chief posted:

Why does he have so much pomade in his hair?

Because he's a Dapper Dan man!

Seriously, "pomade"?! Where did you pull that one from, gramps.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is that not a thing anymore? I get all of my American popular culture exposure exclusively from Coen brother films.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Because he's a Dapper Dan man!

Seriously, "pomade"?! Where did you pull that one from, gramps.

Uhhh, people still use pomade.

But JGL has a buzz cut in that poster, so I'm very confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Oh yeah, with the black levels I couldn't really tell and just thought his hair had been slicked back.