Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

blackguy32 posted:

It doesn't use Steam DRM. It uses U-Play DRM so you will still have to go through U-play anyways.

Far Cry 3 requires a one-time activation, but there is no always-on component.

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/farcry_3_pc_system_requirements_drm_scrapped.html

In fact, Ubisoft has been phasing out always-on DRM since June 2011 in favor of the UPlay launcher.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/05/ubisoft-doing-away-with-always-on-drm/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

VarXX posted:

From what I understand, the reason Max Payne 3 is so big is an engine limitation in the RAGE engine that requires art assets to be duplicated for every individual level

That's probably true too, but the fact that all the cutscenes are 1080p video takes up a huge chunk of space as well.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

There were only a few mission types in Far Cry 2, not to mention a lot of unnecessary empty road. I really wish there was a radio function in the game to help the boredom. In any case, the game would have been much more manageable if I just decided to say gently caress you to the buddy missions and did the primary objectives only. The upgrades really weren't worth it, and the added drives made the game unbearable at times.

Don't forget that after you did all of the optional buddy objectives to get the safehouse upgrades, the game resets all of your upgrades once you hit the 50% completion mark :suicide:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

More good news, modding is definitely a go. :)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

gibbed posted:

GOTY all years.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It hasn't. Almost none of these questions can be answered because the game won't be released to the public for another week and a half.

Oh drat sorry I saw reviews on gametrailers so assumed it was already out and saw that shacknews had a review for the single player.

Also the guy who said the enemies don't respawn gently caress YA!!!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's actually apparently out in 4 days in the UK. I'm hoping to get the 360 version from my online rental service of choice, if I do I'll play the poo poo out of it and answer anything the reviews and stuff haven't.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's available in three days here in Australia, I don't know what that is relevant to the rest of the world, but if we've somehow magically got another Skyrim on our hands where we'll get it first, I'd be happy to pick up a copy and give people some first impressions.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

It's available in three days here in Australia, I don't know what that is relevant to the rest of the world, but if we've somehow magically got another Skyrim on our hands where we'll get it first, I'd be happy to pick up a copy and give people some first impressions.

I'm still torn on preordering it... I'm only just getting started on Hitman Absolution and I picked up Dark Souls in the steam sale... but this just looks amazing and I really enjoyed Far Cry 2 despite it's flaws.

Does anyone know how the preorder DLC integrates into the game? Are the locations still in the world without the DLC but just no missions there?

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
In Farcry 2 I actually liked hunting around for diamonds to trade in for sweet new guns :doh:

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

It's Europe first, Australia the day after and America's the bottom bitch with the release almost a week after Europe.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

gibbed posted:

This was the tipping point for my pre-order, can't wait.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bilal posted:

Don't forget that after you did all of the optional buddy objectives to get the safehouse upgrades, the game resets all of your upgrades once you hit the 50% completion mark :suicide:

You mean the buddy safe house upgrades, right? Because weapons upgrades remain. This is kind of aggravating I guess, even if it makes some kind of sense (not spoiling it by saying how). It would make yet more sense if there was a sensible reason why you magically get those upgrades in the first place. I can't help but feel having a functioning economy was at one time a bullet point in the design for Far Cry 2, because little vestigial bits of it remain. Maybe not quite "Space Rangers in Africa and with Guns," but something a bit more involving than what we ended up with.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

So what's the story with some Ubisoft games not being on Steam in the UK? Most notably this and Assassins Creed 3, despite AC3 actually being out too.

I've actually been waiting to get AC3 because if this, but I don't want to wait for this game. :(

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bogarts posted:

I'm just waiting to find out how the guns are. On Farcry 2 it felt like guys took too many shots to put down especially with guns like the AK47 and FAL.
This is what had me running around with a Dragunov most of the time (well, and the LPO-50 of course). Sniper rifles were the only guns that would drop people with a body shot.

Cardboard Box posted:

That's probably true too, but the fact that all the cutscenes are 1080p video takes up a huge chunk of space as well.
Why do we have prerendered cutscenes in 2012? This was the worst thing about Deus Ex: Human Revolution. FMV never, ever ages as well as the game featuring it.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 26, 2012

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Because depending on the engine they're good for masking loading or handling things that would tax hardware (especially consoles) too much.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
From the couple of videos I've seen, guns don't seem to be pea shooters. That could be a huge buzzkill if they are though.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Well look at it this way, even if the guns are wimpy as all hell:

gibbed posted:

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

From the videos I've seen enemies don't appear to be as bullet-spongey as they were in FC2 (except tigers) and the gun sounds seem to be pretty punchy.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I'm a big fan of both of the previous Far Cry games, and I have mixed feelings about where this one seems to be going. I can already tell that I'll hate the player character and the snoozefest harmless-stuff-happens-on-screen scripted missions. It's also pretty ridiculous that after Far Cry 2 subverted the whole "white hero fights bad natives to save good natives" trope, Far Cry 3 is just going right back to it.

The sandbox gameplay does seem like it has potential - but aren't mission types that require you to use certain weapons sort of contrary to the whole "fight however you want" concept? Clint Hocking, the lead designer of Far Cry 2, likes to talk about how the player ought to feel like the auteur: never guided by a script, always choosing how the action plays out through serendipity and independent planning. The Far Cry 3 guy has talked about how the player ought to feel like an actor. Bad vibes.

Also, the respawning outposts in FC2 did certainly break immersion from time to time, but I do like to have enemies to shoot at in my shooter games. I hope the non-respawning enemies doesn't lead to a Just Cause 2 type of situation - where the world often felt like a vast wasteland with sparse, trivial combat. Plus the enemies not only seem to be less numerous, but also weaker, and more frequently positioned specifically for you to be able to get easy stealth kills.

I reckon that as long as the game has a really unforgiving difficulty level, I'll enjoy it. All the freedom-of-choice stuff really means nothing if I'm not pressured to improvise.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Space Hamlet posted:

I reckon that as long as the game has a really unforgiving difficulty level, I'll enjoy it. All the freedom-of-choice stuff really means nothing if I'm not pressured to improvise.

Yeah, I hope there's difficulty options. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has taught me to really want difficulty in my open world shooters, especially when they're supposed to have an element of survival.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Hamlet posted:

If the difficulty is done right, Far Cry 2 was filled with bullet sponges and you received less ammo the higher difficulty you were (which itself is a neat mechanic but you can't really change the bullet:kill ratio).

If it only takes me 2-3 shots to take someone down i'm fine with that, but when it becomes 6-8 and your shooting at the guy while he gets up its kinda tedious.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Space Hamlet posted:

The Far Cry 3 guy has talked about how the player ought to feel like an actor. Bad vibes.

The "Far Cry 3 guy" is the lead writer, not the lead designer. His talk was more of a writer's lament than a clue to the game's creative direction.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/181662/Far_Cry_3_wants_to_turn_players_into_performers.php

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 26, 2012

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm playing FC2 for the first time at the highest difficulty on the PC. I'm not a pro player, I get routinely stomped on Counter Strike and their ilk. I'm not really finding enemies to be sponges. A good burst tends to bring them down or cause them to change their minds about attacking. Silenced weapons, on the other hand, only seem to really work when you're undetected, which, when combined with an unsatisfying stealth system, is pretty annoying.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Polygon has published their review awarding a 9/10. Seem very positive, although key issues are the storyline which tries to do Apocalypse Now / Heart of Darkness but not very well and multiplayer being lacking. To be specific:

quote:

Far Cry 3 includes the obligatory competitive multiplayer modes expected of a AAA title with guns in it, but don’t waste your time.

Still pretty excited to go on an island cruise doing shooty things while setting a cheetah on people.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

[Seem very positive, although key issues are the storyline which tries to do Apocalypse Now / Heart of Darkness but not very well and multiplayer being lacking. To be specific:

Didn't they gently caress up these stories enough with Far Cry 2? I mean, geez, you think they'd give it a rest and go for something a bit more in their ballpark this time.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
"You're in a jungle or some poo poo and a coked out dude is trying to get philosophical with you. Then he tries to kill you but you live and now you're gonna make him pay. Time to let loose some tigers and poo poo."

I have never played a Far Cry game for the story, and I never will. :c00lbert:

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

bef posted:

If the difficulty is done right, Far Cry 2 was filled with bullet sponges and you received less ammo the higher difficulty you were (which itself is a neat mechanic but you can't really change the bullet:kill ratio).

If it only takes me 2-3 shots to take someone down i'm fine with that, but when it becomes 6-8 and your shooting at the guy while he gets up its kinda tedious.

I'm fine if enemies are more fragile in FC3, though I did think that the way FC2 required you to really hammer them worked for that game - the combat always felt really tense to me, I loved it. The key for me is to feel no less fragile than the enemies. If I can be made of the same paper as the FC3 goons, okay.

Adraeus posted:

The "Far Cry 3 guy" is the lead writer, not the lead designer. His talk was more of a writer's lament than a clue to the game's creative direction.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/181662/Far_Cry_3_wants_to_turn_players_into_performers.php

Thanks for the correction. I still disagree pretty strongly with the dude - which doesn't surprise me given how dumb this game's story looks to me. At least FC1's cutscenes were skippable and FC2's scripty events were rare and brief. I'm not looking forward to "playing through" the exact same burning building and drug trip scenes I've already seen in static trailers.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

"You're in a jungle or some poo poo and a coked out dude is trying to get philosophical with you. Then he tries to kill you but you live and now you're gonna make him pay. Time to let loose some tigers and poo poo."

I have never played a Far Cry game for the story, and I never will. :c00lbert:
Considering the ruthless and bloodthirsty way I played through FC2 the first time round, in my mind that last gunshot wasn't the PC killing himself but him firing triumphantly into the air as he strolled off into the sunset with a suitcase full of diamonds.

Also, the final cutscene was glitched so that some of the character models disappeared leaving their guns floating in mid-air as they walked around, the hilarity of which rather spoiled the intended mood. :haw:

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

Yeah, I hope there's difficulty options. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has taught me to really want difficulty in my open world shooters, especially when they're supposed to have an element of survival.

A streamer said he was playing on normal difficulty and implied there are only 3 difficulty settings, so no nightmare difficulty apparently. Really brings down my anticipation for this game considering how piss-easy "hard" is in modern games.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Davoren posted:

So what's the story with some Ubisoft games not being on Steam in the UK? Most notably this and Assassins Creed 3, despite AC3 actually being out too.

I've actually been waiting to get AC3 because if this, but I don't want to wait for this game. :(

The most common theory is retail pressure. They don't want to lose their already non-existent PC sales to steam so they stop people buying it for a couple of weeks. Happened to Skyrim, Saints Row 3 and Space Marine and god knows others.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
Yeah, this. See also Warner Bros re: Scribblenauts/Lego LoTR. They're propping up GAME singlehanded.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Bloodmobile posted:

A streamer said he was playing on normal difficulty and implied there are only 3 difficulty settings, so no nightmare difficulty apparently. Really brings down my anticipation for this game considering how piss-easy "hard" is in modern games.

Well, I'll be playing on hard then. Hopefully it's at least a little challenging.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Space Hamlet posted:

Clint Hocking, the lead designer of Far Cry 2, likes to talk about how the player ought to feel like the auteur: never guided by a script, always choosing how the action plays out through serendipity and independent planning.

And then he made a game where if you reach your mission area and decide - because of the lay of the land, the weather, the time of the day or just simply your mood - that you'd prefer to snipe your enemies instead of going in guns blazing, you have to drive back 10 minutes to the next safe house/shop, switch your loadout, drive 10 minutes back again to the mission area (and be forced to use weapons found on the ground anyway because the two checkpoints on the way here meant your preferred weapons are now deteriorated).

Seriously, I liked FC2 a lot, but it was so far up its own rear end in regards to its design philosophy that it became a pain just to play it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
There's a new map editor video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmjTOiPAPEQ

First thing I'll do is probably just a pit full of alligators and humans fighting to the death.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

Captain Novolin posted:

First thing I'll do is probably just a pit full of alligators and humans fighting to the death.

Reminds me of my time with the Age of Empires editor

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

GhostDog posted:

And then he made a game where if you reach your mission area and decide - because of the lay of the land, the weather, the time of the day or just simply your mood - that you'd prefer to snipe your enemies instead of going in guns blazing, you have to drive back 10 minutes to the next safe house/shop, switch your loadout, drive 10 minutes back again to the mission area (and be forced to use weapons found on the ground anyway because the two checkpoints on the way here meant your preferred weapons are now deteriorated).

Seriously, I liked FC2 a lot, but it was so far up its own rear end in regards to its design philosophy that it became a pain just to play it.

I disagree totally. The 3 weapon system in FC2 was extremely flexible. If you wanted both close and long range options, you could:

1. Take a pistol, sniper rifle, and machine gun
2. Take a submachine gun, a sniper rifle, and a rocket launcher
3. Take a grenade launcher, sniper rifle, and a tranq rifle
4. Take a grenade launcher, a grenade launcher, and a tranq rifle

And so on. They made sure that the primary, secondary, and tertiary weapons slots each had guns that could fulfill any role you wanted.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Is it me or did the release date for Farcry 3 on steam just get pushed back another week. Also the store page got taken down, you can only get to it from the library page.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Jon93 posted:

Is it me or did the release date for Farcry 3 on steam just get pushed back another week. Also the store page got taken down, you can only get to it from the library page.
Shows December 4th still here. What region are you in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Bilal posted:

I disagree totally. The 3 weapon system in FC2 was extremely flexible. If you wanted both close and long range options, you could:

1. Take a pistol, sniper rifle, and machine gun
2. Take a submachine gun, a sniper rifle, and a rocket launcher
3. Take a grenade launcher, sniper rifle, and a tranq rifle
4. Take a grenade launcher, a grenade launcher, and a tranq rifle

And so on. They made sure that the primary, secondary, and tertiary weapons slots each had guns that could fulfill any role you wanted.

Well yeah but if you weren't always using two slots for the flare gun and the flamethrower there's something wrong.

• Locked thread