Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cowcatcher posted:

Well big red texts are stupid as a rule (except mine which is true and awesome), but it's not like you didn't contribute fuel to the silly victoria slapfight...

I don't disagree with that but most red texts at least arise from serious discussions like the Middle East conflict or American politics and so on, or you get them from being a horrible racist or pedophile or brony or something...not from vidja gayms and language debates.

EDIT: Anyway, off-topic. How about that Moscow Conference, huh? What do you think the demands from every side are? I definitely love the idea between democratic East and reactionary West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Wiz please update and save us. :ohdear:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

DarkCrawler posted:

I don't disagree with that but most red texts at least arise from serious discussions like the Middle East conflict or American politics and so on, or you get them from being a horrible racist or pedophile or brony or something...not from vidja gayms and language debates.

EDIT: Anyway, off-topic. How about that Moscow Conference, huh? What do you think the demands from every side are? I definitely love the idea between democratic East and reactionary West.

Clearly, one of the demands will be Rev. Finland wanting to expel the Swedish-speakers (would they still be called Finlanders?). :v:

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Patter Song posted:

Clearly, one of the demands will be Rev. Finland wanting to expel the Swedish-speakers (would they still be called Finlanders?). :v:

If Algerian-born French were pied-noirs, then Findland-born Swedish refugees are kniv-fötter or something, I dunno how to insult Finns

e: ural-fötter?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Hey, the Swedes are now our revolutionary brothers (Revolutionary Scandinavia) against the monarchical scum, they are free to stay! :mad:

EDIT: If they weren't already driven out of the country around 1810, after the War of the Fifth Coalition when the glorious Finnish Republic was liberated from the Swedish Royal Family.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
I love Wiz's LPs and am normally a big fan of his threads but this thread has gotten really boring with people using it as some sort of IRC/hangout zone to talk about all kinds of random poo poo :(

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Is it possible that Russia will do a 2nd steamroller into Europe?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Does the bear poo poo in the woods?

A: No, the Bear shits on the monarchies of Europe

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Why does every loving thread on these forums in which Scandinavia is mentioned develop into the most horrible masturbatory mire of a discussion? Not even flagchat is immune.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Cowcatcher posted:

Does the bear poo poo in the woods?

A: No, the Bear shits on the monarchies of Europe

I can't believe you missed an opportunity to start an entire family of "In Revolutionary Russia..." jokes.

"Does bear poo poo in woods?

No, in Revolutionary Russia, bear shits on monarchies of Europe."

-Yakov "the Smirnov" Yakovovich, 19th Century Russian Revolutionary

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Top Hats Monthly posted:

If the monarchies are dumb enough to declare war again (as far as I know, all their wars have been defensive thus far), sure!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

DarkCrawler posted:

If the monarchies are dumb enough to declare war again (as far as I know, all their wars have been defensive thus far), sure!

And considering that they've just made a tight-knit alliance and that it only takes one idiot ruler to start a war, we might be having an early WW1, particularly if Italy gets involved. Knowing our luck, some teenage Azeri will shoot a Russian minister during his visit to Atrakhan and start the fireworks.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

steinrokkan posted:

Why does every loving thread on these forums in which Scandinavia is mentioned develop into the most horrible masturbatory mire of a discussion?

Because they're all mini-Åkessons.

Alan BStard posted:

this thread has gotten really boring with people using it as some sort of IRC/hangout zone to talk about all kinds of random poo poo :(

You should see the actual irc/hangout zone if you think this is bad. At night, I can still hear the screams... of boring. We need some info on the moscow conference mechanics so we have something to talk about.

vv Yeah, it seems like there's always a risk of small groups or cliques taking over the whole thing and only discussing what they want to like with flagchat or swedophilia. Sadly it already happened to the IRC room a long time ago.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 26, 2012

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

The Saurus posted:

You should see the actual irc/hangout zone if you think this is bad. At night, I can still hear the screams... of boring. We need some info on the moscow conference mechanics so we have something to talk about.

That is why I don't hang out in IRC anymore. :(

I follow Wiz's threads for the updates and the chat about the LP itself. I think the long (and very justified) delay in updating has meant that people feel they can just post whatever the hell the want in here. Its really annoying to see 100+ new posts in this thread and it turn out not to be about an update, but about stuff that only interests about five people.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

my dad posted:

And considering that they've just made a tight-knit alliance and that it only takes one idiot ruler to start a war, we might be having an early WW1, particularly if Italy gets involved. Knowing our luck, some teenage Azeri will shoot a Russian minister during his visit to Atrakhan and start the fireworks.
That would be great for Azerbaijan though? Just look at how much land Serbia got after WW1. I guess the parallel would be Azerbaijan gaining all the Turkic land of Russia and our recent losses. That's just what we need to modernize and make 'The Land of Fire' great.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Saurus posted:

vv Yeah, it seems like there's always a risk of small groups or cliques taking over the whole thing and only discussing what they want to like with flagchat or swedophilia. Sadly it already happened to the IRC room a long time ago.

Alan BStard posted:

That is why I don't hang out in IRC anymore. :(

I follow Wiz's threads for the updates and the chat about the LP itself. I think the long (and very justified) delay in updating has meant that people feel they can just post whatever the hell the want in here. Its really annoying to see 100+ new posts in this thread and it turn out not to be about an update, but about stuff that only interests about five people.

All the cool kids hang out in the AzeriSkype group nowadays. I suppose if more people had joined there or frequented it more (whole lot of members I haven't ever seen speak in there) there would be less off-topic discussion.

But really Wiz needs to stop fixing CK2+ and get on updating. :argh:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That would be great for Azerbaijan though? Just look at how much land Serbia got after WW1. I guess the parallel would be Azerbaijan gaining all the Turkic land of Russia and our recent losses. That's just what we need to modernize and make 'The Land of Fire' great.

Serbia proper only gained the Vojvodina region and lost between 25 and 30 percent of it's pre-war population, including over 50% of all adult men. Let's not head "The Land of Fire" that way.

Arab of Laurentia
Feb 13, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I guess the parallel would be Azerbaijan gaining all the Turkic land of Russia and our recent losses.

Russia's Turkic land stretches all the way to Mongolia. No way we're getting all of that. It would be really ugly on the map too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

my dad posted:

Serbia proper only gained the Vojvodina region and lost between 25 and 30 percent of it's pre-war population, including over 50% of all adult men. Let's not head "The Land of Fire" that way.
Maybe it didn't get directly added to Serbia, but wasn't it a pretty Serb dominated union? Still, the joke was that aiming for Yugoslavia is probably a bad idea.

Arab of Laurentia posted:

Russia's Turkic land stretches all the way to Mongolia. No way we're getting all of that. It would be really ugly on the map too.
It was not a serious suggestion. :saddowns:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Maybe it didn't get directly added to Serbia, but wasn't it a pretty Serb dominated union?

It really depends on who you ask. On one hand, the king and the capitol were in Serbia, on the other hand, Croatia and Slovenia didn't have to deal with the whole "got genocided" thing. Poor Bosnians got the short end of the stick on both counts, as usual.

quote:

Still, the joke was that aiming for Yugoslavia is probably a bad idea.

And we're already Yugoslavia, just look at our population graph. So the joke is on our most noble and tolerant Azerbaijan. :(

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

YF-23 posted:

All the cool kids hang out in the AzeriSkype group nowadays. I suppose if more people had joined there or frequented it more (whole lot of members I haven't ever seen speak in there) there would be less off-topic discussion.
It's a vicious circle. I joined that group but every time I looked at the chatlog any desire I had to take part in the conversation dissipated quickly. I assume others had similar experiences.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Alan BStard posted:

I love Wiz's LPs and am normally a big fan of his threads but this thread has gotten really boring with people using it as some sort of IRC/hangout zone to talk about all kinds of random poo poo :(

steinrokkan posted:

Why does every loving thread on these forums in which Scandinavia is mentioned develop into the most horrible masturbatory mire of a discussion? Not even flagchat is immune.

Do either of you have any idea how many people follow these threads? Like it or not, we've developed something of a community here and people come here to post and learn about the world and its history. Yes a lot of the time we go off on stupid tangents, but I've been reading Wiz lps for five (going on six?) years now. I've seen horrible masturbatory discussions about every subject under the sun and this isn't any of those. It was just a few people having a conversation that, by the way, was just about over when you two chuckleheads posted. So quit chugging the hateraid and just accept that people have different interests than you. If you don't like what people post, scroll past it. Clogging the thread with your oh-so-withering criticisms just makes it less fun for everyone.

tl;dr You see a bad poster and and your lip snarls upward. The bad poster also snarls and too late you realize you are looking into a mirror. The bad poster is you.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Duckbag posted:

tl;dr You see a bad poster and and your lip snarls upward. The bad poster also snarls and too late you realize you are looking into a mirror. The bad poster is you.

That was pretty deep man. 9/10.

Just kidding, I really don't like mindless conversation but that's part of the thread so I live with it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

my dad posted:

It really depends on who you ask. On one hand, the king and the capitol were in Serbia, on the other hand, Croatia and Slovenia didn't have to deal with the whole "got genocided" thing. Poor Bosnians got the short end of the stick on both counts, as usual.
Is genocided the right word? I thought it was "just" insanely brutal fighting between a falling great power and a minor power, not any planned extermination? Similar to how the Paraguayan War wasn't a war of extermination, even if Paraguay lost somewhere between 60% to 90% of its pre-war population.

To bring this back to Vicky II; is such destruction really possible in the game? I know Paradox doesn't like genocide simulation*, so it seems kind of unlikely. On the other hand, it's slightly less direct than having an Endlösung decision.

*Not complaining about that.

my dad posted:

And we're already Yugoslavia, just look at our population graph. So the joke is on our most noble and tolerant Azerbaijan. :(
Tolerance is obviously for chumps.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Duckbag posted:

Do either of you have any idea how many people follow these threads? Like it or not, we've developed something of a community here and people come here to post and learn about the world and its history. Yes a lot of the time we go off on stupid tangents, but I've been reading Wiz lps for five (going on six?) years now. I've seen horrible masturbatory discussions about every subject under the sun and this isn't any of those. It was just a few people having a conversation that, by the way, was just about over when you two chuckleheads posted. So quit chugging the hateraid and just accept that people have different interests than you. If you don't like what people post, scroll past it. Clogging the thread with your oh-so-withering criticisms just makes it less fun for everyone.

I do scroll right on past, and this is the first time I've mentioned not liking those posts, and I was posting in the hopes that other people dislike it too. I'm sorry for disagreeing with you about something on the internet I guess.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Is genocided the right word? I thought it was "just" insanely brutal fighting between a falling great power and a minor power.

It was more than that. It included biological warfare (Hey, those idiots are actually taking care of PoWs, let's send some infected people with orders to infect as many doctors as possible), well-poisoning, proto death-camps and full on hate/extermination campaigns. Burried somewhere in our home library, we have a copy of a propaganda booklet that essentially proclaims Serbs as the main cause of most bad things that happened to Austria and Hungary, as well as "proving" that, due to having mixed with the (ridiculously small) number of black people who lived on the Balkans since Roman times, Serbs are an inferior race that needs to be cleansed.

Google R.A. Reiss, he witnessed a lot of those events first hand and described them.

quote:

Tolerance is obviously for chumps.

We do not tolerate intolerance here. :toughguy:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Duckbag posted:

:thumbsup:

I wasn't complaining about this thread alone, anyway.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

NihilCredo posted:

It's a vicious circle. I joined that group but every time I looked at the chatlog any desire I had to take part in the conversation dissipated quickly. I assume others had similar experiences.

YF-23 posted:

It's funny you should mention 'cool kids', cause the reaction I've seen myself and others get in there makes me feel like I tried to sit at a high school cafeteria table without the requisite popularity level.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
"Oh hey, there are about 40 replies here, I wonder what's the update lik-- :downs:" ":saddowns:"

Oh well, I'm just hoping for an update. People discussing stuff is by no means a bad thing and community forming around something like this is even better, because it makes things more fun. The only downside is the disappointment when there's a lot of replies and it turns out there's no new update.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rurik posted:

"Oh hey, there are about 40 replies here, I wonder what's the update lik-- :downs:" ":saddowns:"

Oh well, I'm just hoping for an update. People discussing stuff is by no means a bad thing and community forming around something like this is even better, because it makes things more fun. The only downside is the disappointment when there's a lot of replies and it turns out there's no new update.

Yeah I know that feeling :(. Random chat is alright and all for me but I always find myself getting my hopes up for an update. I mean, it's by no means Wiz's fault; he's overhauling a game by hand alone while he has his own life, if Wiz takes a month between updates I'd be happy. Still though, 10+ responses, can't help but hope it was an update :(.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I wish there was save-game data, or something, that I/somebody could page through or make graphs out of in excel and whatnot, considering how in-depth the discussions I find interesting, about history and how to model it, get. I don't know if this is practicable; it probably isn't. And that's OK.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
There'll be an update or two in the weekend.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

my dad posted:

Google R.A. Reiss, he witnessed a lot of those events first hand and described them.
I'm happy to have been corrected, even if I'm kind of sad that you could. Why the hell do people have to be so lovely?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

To bring this back to Vicky II; is such destruction really possible in the game? I know Paradox doesn't like genocide simulation*, so it seems kind of unlikely. On the other hand, it's slightly less direct than having an Endlösung decision.

Army losses are reflected in the POPs they are recruited from. So if you kill someone's professional army the underlying soldier POPs you recruit will be decimated as well and can take ages to recover.

Now if you instituted a general mobilisation and get them all killed you could have a major impact on your population. Not the 60% or anything because you can't mobilise that many people but very much noticeable. Do that repeatedly and you wreck your country.

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.

Wiz posted:

Wohoo. Thanks Wiz. What kind of stuff you got planned for the Moscow peace summit and will there be any goon involvement?

Cate the Great
Nov 16, 2012

Wiz posted:

You have pleased this enlightened despot. Would you like Poland?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cate the Great posted:

You have pleased this enlightened despot. Would you like Poland?

I'll spring for Crimea. Better climate.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Wiz posted:

I'll spring for Crimea. Better climate.
The best resorts are actually on Caucasus coast.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Sampatrick posted:

Surely he isn't as great a president as Snarlgrass Aebi!

Haha!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What is that even supposed to mean. Google only turns up some terrible Stick-figure comic and I hope you weren't referencing that.

I actually did an EU3 LP on that forum a few years back, playing as Switzerland. Paradox Curse lost the save (and all my saves) three quarters of the way in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Thanqol posted:

I actually did an EU3 LP on that forum a few years back, playing as Switzerland. Paradox Curse lost the save (and all my saves) three quarters of the way in.

That's disappointing. I'm actually reading it right now, it's a fun lp and it inspired me to try a Switzerland game myself. I had no idea how powerful Administrative Republics are in the early game. It took me under 50 years to become the largest, most powerful and most advanced nation in the game.

• Locked thread