Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Wait, what games did they unlock anyway? Not to mention, could you get some more information, do they know for sure it was because they used VPN's to unlock early? I've done it tons of times with no repercussions, so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

UberJumper posted:

I unlocked AC3 early, and didn't have any problems.

Like I said, you'll probably be fine, but there's always a possibility.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Wait, what games did they unlock anyway?

I believe it was X-COM. I'm sure there won't be any troubles with Far Cry 3 things, just pointing out it is possible to get banned and Ubisoft is a pretty flaky publisher/developer with regards to how they enforce stuff like this.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 28, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The skill point thing and the various activities mentioned excite me because...well I'm not gonna compare this game to Far Cry 2. I'm gonna compare it to Just Cause 2. Just Cause 2 was fun...but... there's no character progression at all. Every trick you can do, you can do in the first five minutes and after a while it gets old, especially in a world so huge even the developers don't expect you to 100% it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Speedball posted:

The skill point thing and the various activities mentioned excite me because...well I'm not gonna compare this game to Far Cry 2. I'm gonna compare it to Just Cause 2. Just Cause 2 was fun...but... there's no character progression at all. Every trick you can do, you can do in the first five minutes and after a while it gets old, especially in a world so huge even the developers don't expect you to 100% it.

I know this is practically sacrilege, but Just Cause 2's world was too big, too sparse, too little variety in things to do and see. Just big for the sake of being big, which was pointless. Far Cry 2 had a similar problem.

I like that in this we have the five islands, with two devoted to singleplayer and the rest split betwee multiplayer, Co-op and community or whatever. Seems like it'll prevent landscape creep pretty neatly.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
In no super-real rush to get this, plus it being $70AUD on steam I pre-ordered this an hour ago from VideoEzy for $25.5AUD (plus about 2 dollars shipping) it appears to be a UK import copy and will take a day or three to arrive, that beats paying $70 though.

http://www.videoezy.com.au/games/far-cry-3-pc/dp/192705

If you are on the fence, buy it, super cheap. The price may go up at midnight when it's no longer a pre-order, I don't know.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

GeForce 310.64 Beta Driver out.

quote:

Performance - Increases in some PC games 306.97 performance for the series GPUs GeForce 400/500/600 against GeForce WHQL drivers. The result values depend on your GPU and system configuration:

GeForce GTX 680:
  • up to 38% in Far Cry 3
GeForce GTX 660:
  • up to 40% in Far Cry 3
NVIDIA SLI Technology - The following SLI profiles are added or updated:
  • Far Cry 3 - SLI Profile Update

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Call me stupid, but I can't find a Win7 driver link on that page. Only XP or Vista, what gives?

Unless, for some stupid reason the Vista drivers apply to 7 as well which is equally stupid for not specifying.

\/ \/ \/ No Idea how the gently caress I missed that. Thanks.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 28, 2012

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Mr Scumbag posted:

Call me stupid, but I can't find a Win7 driver link on that page. Only XP or Vista, what gives?

Unless, for some stupid reason the Vista drivers apply to 7 as well which is equally stupid for not specifying.

Vista - 7

You might be a little stupid.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I VPNed for X-Com on Steam and didn't encounter any issues, that was just a few weeks ago.

I had a real loving blast in Far Cry 2 despite the mixed reviews for the game, but for some reason had managed to convince myself not to pre-order this. Changed my mind and did so now, but I figure it's something to do with all other "Game: 3" titles this year being terminally disappointing.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I can't even find this on Steam (UK).

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

WastedJoker posted:

I can't even find this on Steam (UK).

Thats because, for some reason Ubi haven't put it on Steam on the UK.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Yeah it's still not available for contractual reasons I guess. Sucks but apparently you need Uplay regardless of whether you run it through Steam. Would be interested to know whether there is like a Uplay Lite that Steam runs in the background or whether double-clicking on FC3 in Steam just opens Uplay for you.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
There is a patch out:

http://static3.cdn.ubi.com/far_cry_3/farcry3_1.01.exe

No idea what it does.

*EDIT*

quote:

---------------------------------------------
Release note – PC patch 1.01
----------------------------------------------

Multiplayer fixes for the patch:

General:
- Improved overall Multiplayer stability and performance.
- Added SHOW TOP, SHOW YOU, PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN options in Leaderboards.
- Fix the voice chat issue that would mute players by default.
- Lobby chat can now be accessed when a controller is connected

Co-op:
- Fixed graphical issues on loading screen hints.
- Fixed the issue that would prevent maps from being displayed or randomized the first time a user enters Public Co-op.
- Health regeneration option no longer has inverted functionality.
- "Flare gun" kills are no longer considered as Assist kills.

PVP:
- Fixed ground texture resolution.
- Grass surrounding fire spawns no longer remain red on Firestorm maps.

Map Editor:
- Improved white objects thumbnails legibility.
- Users can now start a private match in 1 player on user created maps.

Single Player fixes for the patch:

- Improved game stability and performance.
- Fixed issues with flickering on specific water textures.
- Fixed small UI glitches related to different display resolutions.
- “Weapon cache” mission: Mission Zone and Mission Marker no longer stays on mini-map and on screen after mission completion.
- Crafting items are now auto selected when entering a new crafting category
- Added sound when zooming in and out the camera with the mouse scroll button.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 28, 2012

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

tehsid posted:

Thats because, for some reason Ubi haven't put it on Steam on the UK.

So I can't buy the digital version of this game?

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

WastedJoker posted:

You can buy it on UbiShop, but as far as I know there's no preload there.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

UberJumper posted:

There is a patch out:

http://static3.cdn.ubi.com/far_cry_3/farcry3_1.01.exe

No idea what it does.

*EDIT*

Better now then later I guess. They all sound like reasonable fixes.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

Not on Steam anyway. Thank GAME (I think its them, again) for that.

No idea what happens if somebody gifts you a copy though.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

tehsid posted:

Not on Steam anyway. Thank GAME (I think its them, again) for that.

No idea what happens if somebody gifts you a copy though.

I think Ubisoft have stopped releasing all games in UK via Steam, according to a quick google.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

WastedJoker posted:

You can get it on green man gaming - with their perpetual 30 percent off offer codes you can get it for about 25 quid or there abouts.

Seems UBI dont allow steam to offer the preorder up until a day before it releases - they are really weird with electronic distribution.

GMG probably wont release the preload til thursday - probably on account of the same weirdo agreements made with UBI.

Id also really like to see some first hand accounts for these steam VPN bans where a user is banned for unlocking early and not for foreign CC purchases. It keeps cropping up but ive never seen any accounts or examples anywhere.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

WastedJoker posted:

I think Ubisoft have stopped releasing all games in UK via Steam, according to a quick google.

That's quite interesting, does it apply to all of europe? I wouldnt have thought that would be possible or legal due to the way that europe works as a common and open market.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
FYI: I couldn't connect to Steam through PureVPN for some reason. I was using their client. I could connect to Steam through VPNSecure.me after setting up a PPTP connection using the standard Windows 7 interface though.

numptyboy posted:

It keeps cropping up but ive never seen any accounts or examples anywhere.

That's because most people don't understand how to read agreements, how they're structured, etc. The part they always cite (without context) is actually placed specifically under "Payment Authorization" in the subscriber agreement because Valve doesn't want to be defrauded.

Then they read "geographical restrictions on game content," but staggered release dates aren't restrictions; some content is actually prohibited/banned in certain locales. Using Steam to circumvent those prohibitions means using Steam to break the law. Valve will never encourage criminal behavior regardless of whether such behavior is just. Only Google has enough clout to flout empires.

Of course, then they point to the apparent catch-all "for any other reason," but this goes back to my point about how most people don't understand agreements. "For any other reason" in a section titled "Payment Authorization" implicitly means "for any other reason related to payment authorization."

If Valve had a policy against using VPNs to decrypt preloads early, they would explicitly say so clearly and in a section separate from terms regarding how payments are authorized.

Furthermore, there are multiple business reasons why preventing legitimate customers from accessing their expensive game library is bad for business. Simply put: if you damage someone, you risk a lawsuit; if you piss off the wrong people, you get sued; if you get sued, your dirty laundry is made public; if your dirty laundry is made public, you lose consumer trust; if you lose consumer trust, you lose publishers and developers; and if you lose publishers and developers, you lose content, which is your entire business.

So, basically, if you don't defraud Valve or Valve's partners, you're safe. That said, there's always incompetence, but you're never safe from that.

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 28, 2012

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Eh, I just pre-ordered it off Shopto for £24.85.

The special editions were all sold out, I noted.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

numptyboy posted:

That's quite interesting, does it apply to all of europe?

Nope, I can still buy it on Steam in Poland.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

WastedJoker posted:

Eh, I just pre-ordered it off Shopto for £24.85.

The special editions were all sold out, I noted.

Yeah, they were sold last week too. I think a lot of PC players opted for that edition after the highly positive reviews from UK focused sites like Eurogamer appeared.

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello

drunkill posted:

In no super-real rush to get this, plus it being $70AUD on steam I pre-ordered this an hour ago from VideoEzy for $25.5AUD (plus about 2 dollars shipping) it appears to be a UK import copy and will take a day or three to arrive, that beats paying $70 though.

http://www.videoezy.com.au/games/far-cry-3-pc/dp/192705

If you are on the fence, buy it, super cheap. The price may go up at midnight when it's no longer a pre-order, I don't know.

Any idea whether this would be a version where you can plug the key into Steam, or are all non-Steam copies the Uplay thing only? Seems like a pretty ridiculous price.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Adraeus posted:

That's because most people don't understand how to read agreements, :words:
Thank you.

Also, logged into vpnsecure.me to be greeted with this. :v:

SebAndSeb posted:

Any idea whether this would be a version where you can plug the key into Steam, or are all non-Steam copies the Uplay thing only? Seems like a pretty ridiculous price.
All non-Steam-bought copies are UBIShop keys.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 28, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Please post if unlocking via VPN works out well for you guys. I may find the wait too much to bear. :)

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Should got someone to get this for me from US Steam or something, have a feeling I won't be getting my key until the next few days.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

numptyboy posted:

You can get it on green man gaming - with their perpetual 30 percent off offer codes you can get it for about 25 quid or there abouts.

I can?
http://www.greenmangaming.com/search/?q=far+cry
No returns.

Or does GMG do region restrictions now?

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

gibbed posted:

Thank you.

All non-Steam-bought copies are UBIShop keys.

Stellar job, ubisoft!

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gibbed posted:

I spent $8 on PureVPN and $2 on VPN-S. Apparently, with PureVPN, you need to ask for a dedicated IP, but I'm unsure if that will even work. If not, then I'm going to try to get a refund. VPN-S works though, so I'll probably use that. With VPN-S, do you have trouble accessing any part of Steam that is not your library? The homepage and the Far Cry 3 store page won't even load when I'm connected through VPN-S.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

The Lone Badger posted:

I can?
No returns.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/gb/en/pc/games/shooter/far-cry-3/

shows for me in the uk - 34.99 with an offer there to receive 30 percent off with code GMG30-0S3NJ-32J92 which works out at about 24.50 pounds

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

I can?
No returns.

You can't buy it from GMG in the US. Yes, GMG does regional restrictions.

Adraeus posted:

With VPN-S, do you have trouble accessing any part of Steam that is not your library? The homepage and the Far Cry 3 store page won't even load when I'm connected through VPN-S.
I don't try anything else because Steam is usually busy decrypting when I'm logged in the VPN.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Wait, so the game unlocks first in AUSTRALIA!? See ya later, shitlords!

We get thrown a bone sometimes it seems.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

cat doter posted:

Wait, so the game unlocks first in AUSTRALIA!? See ya later, shitlords!

We get thrown a bone sometimes it seems.
US and EU are gonna kill the servers for us from VPNing :(

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Bah, no free VPN service apparently has AU servers, and paying money to unlock the game 12 hours earlier seems silly. Guess I won't be playing until tomorrow then. :(

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Bloodmobile posted:

Bah, no free VPN service apparently has AU servers, and paying money to unlock the game 12 hours earlier seems silly. Guess I won't be playing until tomorrow then. :(

A goon in the Hitman thread posted a free link for Flyvpn and it worked for me when I unlocked it early.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Welp. Decrypting now. See you on the other side!

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Cardboard Box posted:

Please post if unlocking via VPN works out well for you guys. I may find the wait too much to bear. :)
VPN shenanigans to decrypt early is working, and you don't need to keep the VPN running after decrypting, just run the game .exe directly.

Edit: you will need to activate your CDKey in uPlay first in VPN though.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

It would be neat if the VPN people could post something about the post-patch performance. My 560Ti and I are worried :ohdear:.

• Locked thread