Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
A game called Miasmata just got released on 10% launch sale, a first-person wilderness exploration/cartography/survival game with only one enemy. It looks like it could either be amazing or complete garbage. I'm hoping some goon takes the plunge and reports back before I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, for heaven's sake. We discussed Miasmata in the Greenlight thread with the consensus that it was an interesting tech-demo. That was two months ago. Why, oh, why are those guys now pretending it's a full game and releasing it on GOG (somehow)?

I know there are "games" like Dear Esther. We know Dear Esther is not supposed to be a game in the way we understand them and you may even call it an experiment in story-telling. But Miasmata is: explore this fictional island and, I dunno, try stuff? It's how they describe it.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.
Looks like a point-and-click or at least the screenshots scream Myst at me.

Depends on developer logic if so.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, for heaven's sake. We discussed Miasmata in the Greenlight thread with the consensus that it was an interesting tech-demo. That was two months ago. Why, oh, why are those guys now pretending it's a full game and releasing it on GOG (somehow)?

I know there are "games" like Dear Esther. We know Dear Esther is not supposed to be a game in the way we understand them and you may even call it an experiment in story-telling. But Miasmata is: explore this fictional island and, I dunno, try stuff? It's how they describe it.

That's too bad if so. Watching the trailer it looked like a modern version of som of the survivalist games already on Gog.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

As someone who never played Carmegeddon, is it worth a purchase or is it purely a game relying on nostalgia?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Watching the trailer it looked like a modern version of som of the survivalist games already on Gog.

It has the potential to be even better than those. But right now, if you'd buy it as is, you'd spend about 15 minutes to one hour (depending on how you dig the genre) messing with stuff and then turn it off and never touch it again.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is it bad that I get bummed out when the new release on Tuesday and Thursday is just some indie game that already been on Steam? It's nice they are spreading out from just old games, but it feeling like a repeat of the Nintendo Shop Channel, which started out with the virtual console of old games, then once WiiWare came in with indie games, they almost utterly stopped appearing after about a year with maybe two or three out in a six month period.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

It has the potential to be even better than those. But right now, if you'd buy it as is, you'd spend about 15 minutes to one hour (depending on how you dig the genre) messing with stuff and then turn it off and never touch it again.

What is this opinion based upon, out of curiosity?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rirse posted:

Is it bad that I get bummed out when the new release on Tuesday and Thursday is just some indie game that already been on Steam? It's nice they are spreading out from just old games, but it feeling like a repeat of the Nintendo Shop Channel, which started out with the virtual console of old games, then once WiiWare came in with indie games, they almost utterly stopped appearing after about a year with maybe two or three out in a six month period.

Nope, I get seriously bummed too.
So many other games that have way more reason to be on there.

I keep hoping to see "Homeworld Complete" some day.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Do anyone here actually played Miasmata? It does looks very interesting from the description and screenshots.

But if its anything like Dear Esther, I will pass.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

An Actual Bear posted:

As someone who never played Carmegeddon, is it worth a purchase or is it purely a game relying on nostalgia?

I remember playing 1 and 2 when they were released, and LOVING them. You're supposedly racing, but you get points/time extensions for doing head on collisions and running over people! It was amazing at the time, and I'm not even a racing games fan. Not sure if it holds up.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Elias_Maluco posted:

Do anyone here actually played Miasmata? It does looks very interesting from the description and screenshots.

But if its anything like Dear Esther, I will pass.
Top of the page:

Saoshyant posted:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

anthonypants posted:

Top of the page:

"discussed" is pretty different from "actually played", I think.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

redreader posted:

I remember playing 1 and 2 when they were released, and LOVING them. You're supposedly racing, but you get points/time extensions for doing head on collisions and running over people! It was amazing at the time, and I'm not even a racing games fan. Not sure if it holds up.

It holds up. I played a bunch of it over the last month and it's a lot of fun. I never played more than the demo of the first one when it was released, so I'm probably not blinded by nostalgia. I am pretty forgiving when it comes to lack of polish and clunkiness in old games though.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Rirse posted:

Nope. It makes me sad. I get that they're a company, so making money is the only thing they care about, but they really had a good thing going for awhile.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Elias_Maluco posted:

"discussed" is pretty different from "actually played", I think.
The post I quoted was a response to the same question you asked, which can also be found at the top of the page.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just noticed that Steam put out Tomb Raiders 1-5 for $10 each. Bugger me but Steam has some brass balls sometimes.

Tomb Raider 1, 2, & 3 on Steam = $30
Tomb Raider 1, 2, & 3 on GOG = $10

Tomb Raider 4 & 5 on Steam = $20
Tomb Raider 4 & 5 on GOG = $10

I'm assuming that Steam hopes that nobody knows about GOG - maybe they don't think that GOG is big enough to matter. Either way, the brass neck of Valve to charge $10 for retro games that are much cheaper elsewhere and are *still* priced the same as Underworld, Legend, and Anniversary, which came out more than a decade later.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

JustJeff88 posted:

I just noticed that Steam put out Tomb Raiders 1-5 for $10 each. Bugger me but Steam has some brass balls sometimes.

Tomb Raider 1, 2, & 3 on Steam = $30
Tomb Raider 1, 2, & 3 on GOG = $10

Tomb Raider 4 & 5 on Steam = $20
Tomb Raider 4 & 5 on GOG = $10

I'm assuming that Steam hopes that nobody knows about GOG - maybe they don't think that GOG is big enough to matter. Either way, the brass neck of Valve to charge $10 for retro games that are much cheaper elsewhere and are *still* priced the same as Underworld, Legend, and Anniversary, which came out more than a decade later.
But Steam doesn't set prices?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Gilg posted:

I thought that prices were jointly agreed upon by both Steam and the developer/publisher to maximize profits?

Still, if Steam isn't responsible for setting prices, 'tis even more bananas. Why would the developers let GOG sell those games for a fraction of the price, but not Steam?

Edit: I probably just answered my own question. Since Steam is so well known, the publishers probably assume (rightly so, I fear) that they can get a lot more per copy than they can on a lesser-known site like GOG.

If I didn't think that I would get banned to forever and back, and I'd go on the official Steam forums and tell everyone.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 29, 2012

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Because Steam has tons of casual gamers who will be like "Yo Tomb Raider was sweet remember when I made Lara Croft naked when I was like 12?!?" And buy it without thinking too much about the cost.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

BeanBandit posted:

Nope. It makes me sad. I get that they're a company, so making money is the only thing they care about, but they really had a good thing going for awhile.

I think part of it was that some old games were just weird, and that sort of weirdness is missing from new indie games, which focus on cuteness, accessibility, immediate rewards. Robinson's Requium has given way to Minecraft. I'm old.

Librarian
Nov 23, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

Edit: I probably just answered my own question. Since Steam is so well known, the publishers probably assume (rightly so, I fear) that they can get a lot more per copy than they can on a lesser-known site like GOG.

If I didn't think that I would get banned to forever and back, and I'd go on the official Steam forums and tell everyone.

I've found this quite often here in Australia. Same game can be selling for $80-$90 on Steam and be half that on GamersGate.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

doctorfrog posted:

I think part of it was that some old games were just weird, and that sort of weirdness is missing from new indie games, which focus on cuteness, accessibility, immediate rewards. Robinson's Requium has given way to Minecraft. I'm old.

I've been playing Botanicula, and that game is weird as all hell

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Screamer 2 is now on GOG for $5.99 and is PC and Mac compatible.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I want more mac games, Carmageddon-included.

I suppose they're working on all of that, though :unsmith:
Broken Sword 2 Remastered, Puddle, Alone in the Dark 1+2+3, Dragonsphere, Master of Orion 1+2, Pirates! Gold Plus, Star Control 1+2 and Star Control 3 are all now Mac compatible. Next games will be announced in December.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Blodskur posted:

Screamer 2 is now on GOG for $5.99 and is PC and Mac compatible.

Broken Sword 2 Remastered, Puddle, Alone in the Dark 1+2+3, Dragonsphere, Master of Orion 1+2, Pirates! Gold Plus, Star Control 1+2 and Star Control 3 are all now Mac compatible. Next games will be announced in December.

Both of these things are awesome. I used to own Screamer 2 (not the first, though), and remember it looking amazing.

Then a couple years later, I got Need for Speed: High Stakes, and was blown away once more.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yet another Nordic Game sale.

But, it has quite a few goodies to snag.

Gothic 2, Chaser, Painkiller, Spellforce, The Nations, Alien Nations, and Panzer Elite.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Playing with the thought of getting one of the Gothic titles. Can anyone recommend one of them?

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 30, 2012

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tin Tim posted:

Playing with the thought of getting one of the Gothic titles. Can anyone recommend one of them?

Gothic 2 Gold is pretty great, just be warned that it's pretty god drat difficult. The controls take some getting used to, but after it while it will be second nature. After that, I recommend Gothic 1 (I'd even play this first, because it is also very good and the story does continue in the 2nd). Gothic 3 is a huge letdown, but is definitely playable after all the patching.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Am I the only one who can't stand the voice of the 'This Week on GOG' narrator? I can't even really place it, maybe he sounds too nasal, maybe he sounds like he's trying too hard, or he's not recorded properly or something. I don't know why, I just can't stand it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Am I the only one who can't stand the voice of the 'This Week on GOG' narrator? I can't even really place it, maybe he sounds too nasal, maybe he sounds like he's trying too hard, or he's not recorded properly or something. I don't know why, I just can't stand it.

You mean he sounds like he's wearing a fedora?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

That's Trevor Longino, GOG's head marketing guy. He has a slight speech impediment because he is mostly deaf. (If you look closely in videos of him you'll see he wears hearing aids.)

That never excuses the fedora though.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 30, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

macnbc posted:

That's Trevor Longino, GOG's head marketing guy. He has a slight speech impediment because he is mostly deaf. (If you look closely in videos of him you'll see he wears hearing aids.)

That never excuses the fedora though.

Oh... poo poo :smith:

Now I feel bad.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wezlar posted:

Because Steam has tons of casual gamers who will be like "Yo Tomb Raider was sweet remember when I made Lara Croft naked when I was like 12?!?" And buy it without thinking too much about the cost.

Don't forget achievements. They're clearly worth another 5 to 20 bucks.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Doc Hawkins posted:

Don't forget achievements. They're clearly worth another 5 to 20 bucks.
Those Tomb Raider games don't have achievements.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I was curious... does anyone know why Gothic 1 wasn't on sale but all of the other Gothic games were? I wanted to get the whole quartet (I admittedly do have them on Steam also), but only 2, 3, and 3 - poo poo edition were on special. I have a personal rule (to keep me from overspending) about only buying games on GOG if they are on 50% off or better, so I held off.

Just curious, really. Usually those "themed" GOG sales are logically comprehensive, if you'll pardon the expression.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I was curious... does anyone know why Gothic 1 wasn't on sale but all of the other Gothic games were? I wanted to get the whole quartet (I admittedly do have them on Steam also), but only 2, 3, and 3 - poo poo edition were on special. I have a personal rule (to keep me from overspending) about only buying games on GOG if they are on 50% off or better, so I held off.

Just curious, really. Usually those "themed" GOG sales are logically comprehensive, if you'll pardon the expression.
It's because 1 wasn't published by Nordic Games like the other ones, instead being published by Xicat Interactive.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Rirse posted:

Does this always have to come up in this thread over and over and over again? Getting the rights to put a game on GoG is difficult, especially if the people who own the rights to a certain old game don't want to give the rights away at all. Or worse who owns the rights to a game is actually a convoluted mess. Or the owner of the rights has disappeared of the face of the earth. And even still publishers like EA who have allowed old IPs to go on GoG aren't that willing to put more old IPs on GoG.

If they weren't releasing indie games or others, than any release on GoG would be far apart. So really, the indie games are not hurting GoG at all, they can only help.

Gilg posted:

This is true, who ever the publisher is sets the price for their games on Steam.

BeanBandit posted:

While old games are cool and all, if GoG only released new games than they still have a good thing going. DRM free games is still quite an achievement, allowing people who don't have good internet connections an alternative to Steam.

jvempire fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 1, 2012

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Oh... poo poo :smith:

Now I feel bad.
Nope, don't: fedora.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Glad that Hostile Waters is available again. Warren Ellis writing the story with Tom Baker narrating? Fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Screamer 2 just showed up on the store. My non-digital-release giant boxed PC games pile is growing smaller and smaller. Is there still any sort of interest in those things anymore, even to give away, or should I just truck the whole lot down to the local goodwill?