Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

DrManiac posted:

Does it affect you link stats if you maxed them out?

Maxing a link with any of the girls has two options--either Best Friends or Lovers. Usually, there's a choice around the later link levels that clearly decides whether you are one or the other.

I really liked player mode, for the aforementioned Pokemon-like reason to it, but I suppose it is nice of the game to try and discourage you from being a completely horrible son of a bitch.

Of course, doesn't the anime basically make the MC get with all the girls anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fairly late game spoilers and a question about one of the new S-Links:

If I only got Adachi to level 5 before going in and rescuing Nanako am I totally hosed on getting him the rest of the way up?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I just had a weird thought. What if you make it to Valentine's Day without choosing any girlfriends at all?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

I just had a weird thought. What if you make it to Valentine's Day without choosing any girlfriends at all?

You and Kanji go out.

Not really, but that's what it SHOULD be.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, I'm so totally not going to be able to max out social links on a first go, I'm not even gonna try. But I did just max out Yosuke, and we are bros now, and it's July, so I'm in good form!

Haven't even unlocked the first rank for Kanji yet...yeesh...

I do have both Nanako and the elder Dojima up to Rank 7. I will be the glue that holds this family together!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Warning about the new dungeon.

It is very gimmicky and you will come to hate it as much as I do just for how long and stupid the gimmick of it is. You cannot use any of your previously obtained weapons, items, it eats your SP after every fight, there is a boss that takes loving FOREVER TO KILL on just the fourth floor, and you are stuck with default clothing so don't expect to have fun with the new mid-winter and skiing outfits you just got. Also, it contains revelations for the story that are equally dumb and stupid.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Darn it Adachi let me spend time with you so I can level up your Social Link! :argh:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Darn it Adachi let me spend time with you so I can level up your Social Link! :argh:

He's clearly just loving around doing nothing anyway, why can't we hang out with him!?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Was just about to fuse myself a badass monkey-mage dude so I could relish in some monkey magic, but Igor had to go gently caress it up.
Instead, I got stuck with a starfish that... inherited all the skills I selected for monkey-mage... and learnt Megidola... is immune to 2 elements, resists 1, and is weak to physical... but learns Resist Physical in 1 level anyway...

I'm actually very OK with this.

How do you guys deal with the golden hands in this game? I usually get MC to use Mind Charge, someone else to nerf their defences, and Yukiko to throw Fire break on them. Then I nuke them with a Fire Amp+Fire Vow infused Agidyne to slam them for most of their HP, seems to do the trick quite well. 1-3 basic attacks pretty much kills them after that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I just blow the poo poo out of the golden hands with as many physicals as I can muster, with Chie casting Revolution so everyone's critical hit rate goes up. Sometimes I get lucky and she does a Galactic Punt on one!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HiveCommander posted:

Was just about to fuse myself a badass monkey-mage dude so I could relish in some monkey magic, but Igor had to go gently caress it up.
Instead, I got stuck with a starfish that... inherited all the skills I selected for monkey-mage... and learnt Megidola... is immune to 2 elements, resists 1, and is weak to physical... but learns Resist Physical in 1 level anyway...

I'm actually very OK with this.

How do you guys deal with the golden hands in this game? I usually get MC to use Mind Charge, someone else to nerf their defences, and Yukiko to throw Fire break on them. Then I nuke them with a Fire Amp+Fire Vow infused Agidyne to slam them for most of their HP, seems to do the trick quite well. 1-3 basic attacks pretty much kills them after that.

At first I just had Chie and Kanji beast through them with super powerful physical attacks. After getting Naoto they sort of just became trivial and died to her megido spells with no trouble, it's free EXP when you fight Golden Hands with Naoto.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Oh god, Ai and Yukiko just met, and I feel a sudden urge to flee in terror.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Schubalts posted:

Oh god, Ai and Yukiko just met, and I feel a sudden urge to flee in terror.

Never admit fault. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh god, Adachi link 5 (or so) spoilers.

The story Nanako's reading is the book Akinari wrote in P3P.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

"I'm sexier when I'm soaked." Welp, that line just erased all negative feelings about almost getting murdered.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Spoilers for Jester Max Rank.

Adachi: You're a dumbass.

Amazing.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

W.T. Fits posted:

I imagine it would be something like the Christmas Eve event where you get to hang out with the dudes if you max all their links.

I'd certainly like to see more of Yosuke's terrible texting. :allears:

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy

Pollyanna posted:

Oh god, Adachi link 5 (or so) spoilers.

The story Nanako's reading is the book Akinari wrote in P3P.

Related Emperor (5-ish?) minor spoilers: Akinari is also referenced by Kanji when the kid asks him to make a stuffed pink alligator, "like in that storybook."

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Kanji is the best. I cannot wait for him to show his manhood to all these chicks.

I'm in the middle of June. Am I supposed to be feeling overwhelmed with everything I can do?

"Okay, I can put off talking with Nanako for a few nights while I read this book on how to get better at origami....wait, now I can go to the hospital? Yukiko wants to hang out today? NOW I HAVE A SCOOTER?! WHAT DO I DO?!"

I feel like I'm never going to progress in these.

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 29, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Oh, you will witness his manhood. It will be a glorious day.

You're supposed to feel overwhelmed on your first playthrough. The balancing act becomes much easier when you don't have to worry about raising your stats in addition to all of the activities.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Capsaicin posted:

Kanji is the best. I cannot wait for him to show his manhood to all these chicks.

I'm in the middle of June. Am I supposed to be feeling overwhelmed with everything I can do?

"Okay, I can put off talking with Nanako for a few nights while I read this book on how to get better at origami....wait, now I can go to the hospital? Yukiko wants to hang out today? NOW I HAVE A SCOOTER?! WHAT DO I DO?!"

I feel like I'm never going to progress in these.

Don't put off the Nanako or Dojima S.Links. Do them first :ssh:.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No do not do them first until your second playthrough. Everyone says to do those first then ignores how much stat boosting you need to do to actually complete those and with how many levels of expression and understanding are required you will find it difficult to max those out in time.

The extra month in Golden gives a bit more time for you to complete it though thankfully.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Spoilers for Jester Max Rank.

Adachi: You're a dumbass.

Amazing.
I read how you get this max rank but do you need to go through with it to count as finishing every S Link for the ultimate Persona? Not sure how that's supposed to play out.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

No do not do them first until your second playthrough. Everyone says to do those first then ignores how much stat boosting you need to do to actually complete those and with how many levels of expression and understanding are required you will find it difficult to max those out in time.

The extra month in Golden gives a bit more time for you to complete it though thankfully.

Don't listen to this guy, nanako and Dojima are absolutely essential. Not finishing them is one of the biggest mistakes you could possibly make.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I read how you get this max rank but do you need to go through with it to count as finishing every S Link for the ultimate Persona? Not sure how that's supposed to play out.

I'm not totally sure myself, I still haven't finished my first playthrough of the game, but I'd imagine they do count towards the Ultimate Persona.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Awesome ghost and sex ferguson: if you don't burn the letter and confront Adachi alone you can keep his s link going through to the true ending where it caps out when you get the letter from him. The social link will change but both links count as the same link so you won't miss anything.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh no, I know that. I've already maxed Adachi's S. Link since I'm in Yomotsu Hirasaka now. I just thought Awesome Ghost was asking if Adachi's S. Link counts towards the Ultimate persona for Yu... which I think it does?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Teddie wearing the agent set is amazing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jester S. Link spoilers:

DON'T CLICK THIS IF YOU DIDN'T BEAT THE GAME

Oh I thought you need to get the new bad ending to max out Jester, didn't know there's more than one way to do it.

Dr Pepper posted:

Teddie wearing the agent set is amazing.

When you're wearing costumes in a dungeon make sure to press square and talk to all your party members about it, they all have unique lines of dialogue for when you wear a costume and when they wear one. The lines seem to change too depending on your party compisition.

There's so much crazy tiny stuff like that you could miss. I had an S.Link with Chie where the guy asks her about Yukiko, I saw them in the dungeon together and Chie brought it up and Yukiko brought up stuff from her own S. Link scenes too. It changes depending on how far in you are and I think if you're dating both of them they bring it up too?

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 29, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

In Marie's third-level S.Link they bring up the fact that Chie always wears green. And then she goes clothes shopping and inadvertently keeps picking out green outfits. Ahahaha.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Speedball posted:

In Marie's third-level S.Link they bring up the fact that Chie always wears green. And then she goes clothes shopping and inadvertently keeps picking out green outfits. Ahahaha.

Even better: She has some kind of subconscious attraction to the colors that make green together.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
Now, can I do only one Lover link per game? Or can I just do the Lover link whenever I complete one for a female?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zetta_Slow posted:

Now, can I do only one Lover link per game? Or can I just do the Lover link whenever I complete one for a female?

At around Rank 8 in their social link, you'll have the option to start dating some girls (i.e any age-appropriate girl). The game makes this choice fairly clear. If you don't choose to date them, this doesn't prevent you from maxing their slink or anything of the sort, there really aren't any important consequences. You can date multiple girls at once, but that would make you a jerk and don't be a jerk.

The Lovers slink is Rise's slink, and only has the name because that's her Arcana.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So is there a hidden value that improves your relationships scores in Persona 4? In Persona 3, maxing out your Charm gave you hidden boosts to your points with people.

kethryveris
Aug 18, 2006

Wait! I wasn't yelling at you.
I was yelling at the duck.

Speedball posted:

So is there a hidden value that improves your relationships scores in Persona 4? In Persona 3, maxing out your Charm gave you hidden boosts to your points with people.

I think Expression is the one that gives you bonus points in P4.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
So the only real reasons Marie is in this game are so she can handle velvet room stuff since the JP voice for Igor died and because you never got to bang Izanami and we simply can't have a single woman under 60 that doesn't want your dick in this game? That seems like the only reason for making her yet another aspect of her. I mean, she doesn't actually do anything with this status and she doesn't at all act like some crazy godlike aspect or anything. Hell aside from a new pair of clothes and a cute thing about how the girl with control over weather is working as a weather girl does this reveal change anything about her?

I dunno, seems kinda lame.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

All that matters is doing her stuff leads to a sweet epilogue.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

OmegaZultan posted:

All that matters is doing her stuff leads to a sweet epilogue.

And a dungeon that tries to be challenging but is just tedious as hell instead.

Although my being level 94 when I did said dungeon might've made it seem easier than it actually was. Thanks, easily exploited golden hands that give shittons of experience!

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Nov 29, 2012

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Did the original Persona 4 throw this many Golden Hands? I seem to run into them 1-2 times per floor and since Chie learns Revolution, knocking them down is a hell of a lot easier than it used to be. I just can't help it. I'm pretty sure level 42 is overkill for the 4th dungeon boss, but just when I'm done grinding I find 3 more golden hands in a treasure chest.

I'm playing on Normal difficulty but I feel with these changes, Hard doesn't sound so tough anymore. I bet that Very Hard still makes the game hate yourself though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Lord Ephraim posted:

I'm pretty sure level 42 is overkill for the 4th dungeon boss, but just when I'm done grinding I find 3 more golden hands in a treasure chest.

4th? you mean Shin Mitsuo Tensei right?
I had the MC at lv50 for that, and the rest of the party was between 46 and 49. I had more trouble with Shadow Teddie, but I was horribly unprepared to fight 2 bosses in a row, especially when Shadow Teddie was capable of hitting 2 of my party member's weaknesses

I used my Golden Hand tactic to take big chunks out of the boss. Agidyne with 45 Magic and +70% fire damage = goodbye ANYTHING! This can work with any element, provided you have the relevant vow equipped and have a persona that can nullify enemy resists.

• Locked thread