Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

For how many steps Far Cry 2 took towards immersion, it's pretty weird how much of it this one disregards. The constant HUD pop-ups really are distracting, yeah, but it hasn't been enough to keep me from enjoying the game. Maybe if enough people complain they'll patch in an option to turn them off. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Does anyone know how co-op works in this? From the Steam Page they say

quote:

PLAY WITH FRIENDS IN A FULL CO-OP CAMPAIGN
Play online and team up in a four-player campaign which challenges you to be your best and work together to prevail. Experience the island through the eyes of a wayward crew in their own quest to survive against the odds.

Which is rather vague. At first I got my hopes up and thought it was like Borderlands 2; however, from this Far Cry 3 Co-Op it seems to be a custom campaign that is really short. I was hoping to go around the island stalking people with some friends :(

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

It's just a set of linear missions like Left 4 Dead.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Dan Didio posted:

Bad design decisions that run counter to the entire principle and appeal of the game as an open world action game are inexcusable. There's no need for personal attacks because I criticized a game and used a word that you think was a little too harsh. I'll be sure to write the head of Ubisoft an apology because I used a no-no word.

I'm not 'upset' or insulted. I described a part of the game that could have been designed better, because this is the thread for discussing Far Cry 3. If you have a rebuttal to the points I made, fine, but don't be pedantic about the severity of the word I used to describe it.

To me, that is an inexuscable flaw in the design for that mission. They should have known better.

You're complaining that one part of one of the first missions is inexcusable because it runs counter to how the rest of the game plays...except you've only done that one mission so far. On top of that, you even admitted that stealth was still possible because the game doesn't snap you out of hiding or automatically alert the bad guys to your location. So all you're really mad about is that the sequence didn't let you do stealth in the precise way that you wanted to, and I'm legitimately curious as to what that method was. They gave you body armor and some ammo in the cabin and I managed to pick the guys off one by one without them noticing me and thought that it was a decent set piece.

Basically, I just think it's pretty silly to complain about such a minor part of a mission and proclaim that it's totally counter to the rest of the game when it really isn't. It's a mission that's finished the easiest by simply unloading on a couple of guys that are running at you, but is possible to beat stealthily if you take your time. How is that not the same basic thing that you're doing the rest of the game?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

VDay posted:

You're complaining that one part of one of the first missions is inexcusable because it runs counter to how the rest of the game plays...except you've only done that one mission so far.

There is more to this game than the missions, shock surprise. It is an open world game with a stealth touted as a viable choice.

VDay posted:

On top of that, you even admitted that stealth was still possible because the game doesn't snap you out of hiding or automatically alert the bad guys to your location. So all you're really mad about is that the sequence didn't let you do stealth in the precise way that you wanted to, and I'm legitimately curious as to what that method was. They gave you body armor and some ammo in the cabin and I managed to pick the guys off one by one without them noticing me and thought that it was a decent set piece.

My complaint wasn't that it didn't let me stealth, it was that it shifted me, because of choices I'd made that the game had supported; via an options toggle and via customizing my guy for remaining undetected, into a situation where I was at a disadvantage for no reason and no fault of my own.

VDay posted:

Basically, I just think it's pretty silly to complain about such a minor part of a mission and proclaim that it's totally counter to the rest of the game when it really isn't.

This is the thread for discussing Far Cry 3, I was discussing Far Cry 3.

VDay posted:

It's a mission that's finished the easiest by simply unloading on a couple of guys that are running at you, but is possible to beat stealthily if you take your time. How is that not the same basic thing that you're doing the rest of the game?

Because in this instance I was discouraged from playing well in that style that I chose, a style that the game is supposed to support. Again, my complaint wasn't that I couldn't beat it stealthily, I did and found it to be quite an enjoyable sequence, it was that it runs counter to what the game's design had told me so far, to throw me into that situation for no reason.

Punishing the player for playing well is bad design. Yes, it's a minor complaint in the grand scheme of thigns, but it's also one that could have been remedied in any manner of a great number of easy ways that would have been more befitting the game's design up to that point, and large swaths of it following. I thought it was an inexcusably bad piece of design in an otherwise so far excellent game.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm loving the game so far but Ubisoft hosed some stupid poo poo up when it comes to keybindings, as usual.

Wanna use ESDF as movement keys? Of course you do. Too bad even if you bind it, the glider still requires WASD. Why the gently caress would Ubisoft even allow keybinding if they aren't going to let it work? BTW, same thing goes for your camera. Still requires hitting L to take out, no matter what you bound it do.

gibbed I hope this is something you could fix, assuming they don't patch it.. Is there a config file somewhere? I can't seem to find any .ini or .cfg.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 29, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

DaveKap posted:

I'm loving the game so far but Ubisoft hosed some stupid poo poo up when it comes to keybindings, as usual.

Wanna use ESDF as movement keys? Of course you do. Too bad even if you bind it, the glider still requires WASD. Why the gently caress would Ubisoft even allow keybinding if they aren't going to let it work? BTW, same thing goes for your camera. Still requires hitting L to take out, no matter what you bound it do.

That's really bizzare, are you sure there's not another tab in the keybind menu or something? Seems like a really strange, massive oversight.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I've played for a couple of hours on PS3 and I'm enjoying it so far. I think after a few more hours I will like it as much as I liked Far Cry 2.

There are a couple things I don't like:

The guns feel too strong. I picked up an AK 30-40 minutes in and easily kill groups of 5 guys barely taking a scratch. The recoil barely makes a difference at medium range. I think with the weapons as strong as they are, the weapon decay mechanic from FC2 might have evened it out a bit.

Stealth takedowns are too easy. I understand you don't have to use them and I will probably avoid it. I think the distance from which you can activate a takedown is too far and enemies' peripheral vision isn't good enough.

Neither of those things spoil the game for me.

Things I do like so far:

Maoris. I'm a New Zealander and the first time the gun shop lady said "ka kite" I was like what the hell? Then a guy with a Maori kinda accent was telling a girl she needed to get some meat on her skinny bones. It's funny and cool hearing it in a game. Vaas' surname, Wahine, means woman in Maori. Maybe he's a tranny?

I flew a really long distance on a hang glider and a hawk came and flew along with me. 99% sure its scripted but it was a cool touch.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just got an email from Amazon UK saying they've despatched my copy. :toot:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

im a girl btw posted:

Vaas' surname, Wahine, means woman in Maori. Maybe he's a tranny?

Vaas surname is Montenegro. 'Vaas Wahine' refers to the little hulu statuette that you get with the Insane edition.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

gibbed posted:

I'm pretty sure you do -- one of the unlocks is "get an early unlock of the tattoo editor in multiplayer" which isn't unlocked for me.

I don't know if you ever found this, or if it was ever answered but go to options, exclusive content, and enter your CD key you got from steam again. It'll unlock all the digital deluxe stuff.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

DaveKap posted:

Yeah there's some really weird stuff. The most annoying for me personally is that the scroll wheel is ALWAYS mapped to next/previous grenade, even if you map it to next/previous weapon in the keybindings. You switch your grenade and weapon at the same time. :doh:

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

Vaas surname is Montenegro. 'Vaas Wahine' refers to the little hulu statuette that you get with the Insane edition.

:v: look at how dumb I am

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

im a girl btw posted:

:v: look at how dumb I am

It got me too when I went into pick up the Insane edition.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Cardboard Box posted:

Yeah there's some really weird stuff. The most annoying for me personally is that the scroll wheel is ALWAYS mapped to next/previous grenade, even if you map it to next/previous weapon in the keybindings. You switch your grenade and weapon at the same time. :doh:
Blame consoles :v:

Deus Ex Human Revolution straight up wouldn't let you bind numeric keypad keys to anything, you had to go into the registry and do it that way, so it's not unprecedented. I guess (hope) it will be patched sooner rather than later.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Really enjoying this game so far, my one complaint is the guns sound really weedy even compared to the far cry 2 ones. Apart from that Im impressed with the size of the world and it really seems like theres a lot to do in it. And thank god they got rid of the respawning checkpoints.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

DaveKap posted:

I'm loving the game so far but Ubisoft hosed some stupid poo poo up

I agree. Hopefully this was just a one off glitch or something, but I just used all of my skins and hides to upgrade a whole shitload of stuff. Then I died a little while after. The game respawns me without all my upgrades and without the materials I used. So basically, I have no upgrades and no skins. All gone.

Now I go to the menu and hard save all the time hoping that might make a difference. I really don't want to get hosed over like that again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What is the gun obtaining/carrying system like this time around? The weapon classes in Far Cry 2 were interesting, but also kind of restrictive. It didn’t help that I had to run to a gun shop every time I wanted to switch weapons.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Wierd/funny/possibly crazy spoilers for one of the pre-order exclusive missions:

On giantbomb.com, during their quick look, they made a joke about the twist of Far Cry 3 being that the protagonist is in an Animus, which were being advertised as a commercial product at some point in an Assassin's Creed game. Vinny Caravella quipped that he wanted to see an Abstergo symbol in Far Cry 3 somewhere.

During one of the Unlockable Content missions you get for pre-ordering or buying the Insane Edition, the World War 2 bunker ones, you find a folder with an Abstergo symbol on the front.

Platystemon posted:

What is the gun obtaining/carrying system like this time around? The weapon classes in Far Cry 2 were interesting, but also kind of restrictive. It didn’t help that I had to run to a gun shop every time I wanted to switch weapons.

You start off capable of carrying two guns at any time, and by skinning animals, you can craft further holsters that allow you to carry up to four.

EDIT: Oh, man, the dialogue in this mission is really something, wierd Bishock references, wisecracking one-liners, what the gently caress.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 29, 2012

az
Dec 2, 2005

Flannelette posted:

Just a heads up:
If you have the steam deluxe edition (or any other PC special edition I guess) to get the bonus stuff you need to right click the game in steam to view the deluxe edition CD-key.
Then type this key into the exclusive content box in the games options menu, you can't copy paste it. It doesn't tell you to do this and it doesn't do it automatically.

I tried entering it a few times now and it still insists its invalid, what gives? It's a serial with one 3 letter part and four 4 letter parts.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Dan Didio posted:

That's really bizzare, are you sure there's not another tab in the keybind menu or something? Seems like a really strange, massive oversight.
100% sure. It was reported on the support forum at Ubisoft too. Check this out.

Guy from Ubisoft support forum posted:

I've changed my movement controls from WASD to something else (PL:')
After reading that, there's no way I'll ever feel bad about using ESDF.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hate how developers lie about minimum requirements all the time.
My CPU is kind of bad, but it's well above the minimum and my GPU is really good so I was expecting at least stable 45 fps at minimum settings but what I got is 20-25 fps which is totally unplayable for me.

I pre-ordered the deluxe edition as well, what a waste of money.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Far Cry 3 officially takes place in the same universe as Assassin's Creed.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
I still need to take care of some stuff before I allow myself to play this, but I just wanted to check in and see if someone wanted my spare copy of Far Cry 1? If you're playing 3 you might not be interested but hey, figured I'd check.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

My CPU is kind of bad, but it's well above the minimum and my GPU is really good

That's partially the problem. You could have a GTX 680 but if your CPU is an old dual core then you won't see any more benefit from it than if you were using an old 9800GT. The best graphics card in the world won't do any good if you don't have a processor to match it.

Plus, the minimum requirements are typically just that: the literal bare minimum to be able to run a game. We're talking lowest settings at maybe 30 FPS. They're not a very good measuring stick on if you want good performance.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 29, 2012

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

Plus, the minimum requirements are typically just that: the literal bare minimum to be able to run a game. We're talking lowest settings at maybe 30 FPS. They're not a very good measuring stick on if you want good performance.

That's what I'm talking about. Minimum requirements should be minimum configuration at which the game is playable not "runable".

EDIT: So I just pretty much wasted 60€ because developers think that you can play the game at 20 fps and I can't even return the game because I always buy my games on Steam.

Frankly I feel ripped off.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

az posted:

I tried entering it a few times now and it still insists its invalid, what gives? It's a serial with one 3 letter part and four 4 letter parts.

Yeah 1 3 letter then 4 4 letters.
I put mine in with capital letters and dashes so try that if you haven't already, then ask Ubisoft for help.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I agree. Hopefully this was just a one off glitch or something, but I just used all of my skins and hides to upgrade a whole shitload of stuff. Then I died a little while after. The game respawns me without all my upgrades and without the materials I used. So basically, I have no upgrades and no skins. All gone.

Now I go to the menu and hard save all the time hoping that might make a difference. I really don't want to get hosed over like that again.

As far as I can tell when you die you respawn and your inventory is returned to the state it was when it last saved, you can force a save from the menu though.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Nov 29, 2012

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
So, dudes with 560Ti's - is it possible to play this game on 1920x1080 and with almost everything on High?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Attention Horse posted:

So, dudes with 560Ti's - is it possible to play this game on 1920x1080 and with almost everything on High?

I'm on a regular GTX 560 and am running it on Very High spec (there's also an Ultra spec but it made my computer cry) in DX11 at 1680x1050, with antialiasing off and SSAO turned down, and getting ~45 FPS at all times. You'll probably be fine, provided the rest of your specs are similar to or better than mine (i5 2400k 3.1 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM). Also be sure to grab the latest NVIDIA beta drivers. I saw a notable performance increase from those.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Cardboard Box posted:

I'm on a regular GTX 560 and am running it on Very High spec (there's also an Ultra spec but it made my computer cry) in DX11 in 1680x1050, with antialiasing off and SSAO turned down, and getting ~45 FPS at all times. You'll probably be fine, provided the rest of your specs are similar to or better than mine (i5 2400k 3.1 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM).

I have i5-2320 and 8GB RAM, so yeah, similar specs. Are you using the latest nvidia beta drivers? I heard that they're a bit bugged (artifacting etc.) but they add a shitload of frames.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yeah there's some sorta weird shimmering in spots but it's barely noticeable for me and added 10-15 FPS to my overall framerate. It's worth using until the official drivers are out.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Where are the regular pigs? I can't for the life of me find a single one. :psyduck:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Just look for the pig markers on the map. They sometimes hang around boars which doesn't really make much sense to me but whatever.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Seriously, why does Jason turn into a quip-machine making constant references to video games during the bonus missions?

This is the most hilariously tone deaf game I've played in a long time.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Cardboard Box posted:

It's also annoying how I re-mapped vehicle controls to ESDF and the hints for the glider say that I've done so, except to actually turn I have to use A and D.

I'm hoping it will be easily patched shortly cause goddamn is it annoying.

Also have you guys tried changing your FOV? I put mine up to 80 and the UI is smaller, however now the minimap is in a weird rescaled size that makes the circle look more like a smaller oval.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

real_scud posted:

Also have you guys tried changing your FOV? I put mine up to 80 and the UI is smaller, however now the minimap is in a weird rescaled size that makes the circle look more like a smaller oval.

That's strange. I just tried mine at the opposite extremes (55 an 110) and didn't notice a UI change. I've been playing at 90.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

Yeah there's some sorta weird shimmering in spots but it's barely noticeable for me and added 10-15 FPS to my overall framerate. It's worth using until the official drivers are out.

I'm getting a weird shimmering in spots and I haven't even updated my drivers yet so I guess there's nothing for me to lose, although I'm pretty outdated driver-wise by now.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Adraeus posted:

Cool. This didn't work the first time I loaded the game after unlocking.

kojicolnair posted:

I don't know if you ever found this, or if it was ever answered but go to options, exclusive content, and enter your CD key you got from steam again. It'll unlock all the digital deluxe stuff.
Yup, tried this right out of the gate once I decrypted and it rejected it. I'll try it again.

Edit: Yep! Working now!

tehsid posted:

I'd love to know how the UI elements are packaged, and how hard that would be to change.

Hell, I'd almost play the game without any UI at all.
I think they've done something like Scaleform and implemented something based on Flash, but it's not Scaleform. This is just from an initial glance.

DaveKap posted:

gibbed I hope this is something you could fix, assuming they don't patch it.. Is there a config file somewhere? I can't seem to find any .ini or .cfg.
There are several config files related to input in the fats, I haven't touched them at all yet.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I just noticed this, if you want to sell excess skins or plants in your loot sack you can press enter three times (first two times rapidly) to cause the highlighted loot to be sold and it won't move the highlighted square instead of using the buggy mouse support.

• Locked thread