Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I knew that the Ai and Naoto S. Links can be reversed so I looked up what I had to do to avoid it; I never knew Ai's could be broken completely so that you can't finish it for the rest of the game. Man why are Moon Arcana always the most annoying.

Also I found out why people have been leveling Rise the soonest, she gets WAY more stuff in this than she did in the original (Her skill list in the OP is wrong). She’s been getting upgrades almost every S.Link level and some of it is new.

HiveCommander posted:

4th? you mean Shin Mitsuo Tensei right?
I had the MC at lv50 for that, and the rest of the party was between 46 and 49. I had more trouble with Shadow Teddie, but I was horribly unprepared to fight 2 bosses in a row, especially when Shadow Teddie was capable of hitting 2 of my party member's weaknesses

I beat that dungeon at 37 on Normal :v:

It wasn't easy either, I lost 3 or 4 times and Black Frost really makes that battle easier but is level 38. On the other hand every time I unlock a new party member they're like 5 levels above me so that's cool.

What level does the next one join? I'll see if I can continue the trend of having my main party be higher than the MC

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I just beat Shadow Mitsuo. Quite comfortably too. I'm playing on hard, party members around level 45. He only managed to reform his shell once, and the damage he was doing was just not scary enough. I'm playing on Hard too. The most annoying thing he did was Dekaja, which meant another turn of Matarukaja. Agidyne + Fire amp was useful.

I expected Hard to be a lot more difficult so far, it is only my second playthrough.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

jtm33 posted:

I just beat Shadow Mitsuo. Quite comfortably too. I'm playing on hard, party members around level 45. He only managed to reform his shell once, and the damage he was doing was just not scary enough. I'm playing on Hard too. The most annoying thing he did was Dekaja, which meant another turn of Matarukaja. Agidyne + Fire amp was useful.

I expected Hard to be a lot more difficult so far, it is only my second playthrough.

Black Frost makes a huge, huge difference in that fight. Also I guess at too low of a level his double Gigadyne just wiped out my whole party before I could heal it, I didn't spend enough time keeping his attack down/my defense up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I knew that the Ai and Naoto S. Links can be reversed so I looked up what I had to do to avoid it; I never knew Ai's could be broken completely so that you can't finish it for the rest of the game. Man why are Moon Arcana always the most annoying.

I thought you could fix broken S Links?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Volt Catfish posted:

I thought you could fix broken S Links?

You can fix Reversed S.Links. Ai's actually BREAKS, not reverses. It's possible they changed that I dunno.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I beat that dungeon at 37 on Normal :v:

You beast, you!
I have only really been using 2 main personae at a time, a nuker mage and an attack/endurance powerhouse. If I had a dedicated buffer/debuffer (I just use the party for that, so the MC gets more crazy OP attacks/spells in as possible) I might fare a little better. Oh well, there's always NG+.

I'll just use the 'I started the series at P3P' excuse. Still, can't wait to fuse the dickmonster so I can go rape the late-game dungeons, literally.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

You can fix Reversed S.Links. Ai's actually BREAKS, not reverses. It's possible they changed that I dunno.

What causes her's to break? I've never had it happen.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

What level does the next one join? I'll see if I can continue the trend of having my main party be higher than the MC

Level 55 I believe. Which by the time I get that character I will probably be level 60 or above.

Seriously, golden hands everywhere. I think their spawn rate skyrockets during thunderstorms. It's the only time I go dungeon sprawling.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Schubalts posted:

What causes her's to break? I've never had it happen.

When you're getting to Rank 9 you can tell her "I think we need to take a break" and she'll never talk to you again

Lord Ephraim posted:

Level 55 I believe. Which by the time I get that character I will probably be level 60 or above.

Seriously, golden hands everywhere. I think their spawn rate skyrockets during thunderstorms. It's the only time I go dungeon sprawling.

drat I wonder if I can beat this at like, 45.

I want the last 3 characters you unlock for my party so there's no point leveling before they join really.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

You go way past that just by rescuing people. I'm 68 at the end of October, and I only went into the TV once outside of one-day rescues.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How can anyone actually Reverse/Break a Link in P4 anyway? I mean, you make the choice and then it instantly goes bad. All you have to do is reload and not make that choice again.

There are still a lot of things I would like changed about the S. Link system, but P4 definitely went a long way towards fixing P3's issues. More story-related Links, no penalties for ignoring the Link for a while or seeing multiple girls, and a friendship option for the girls.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When you're wearing costumes in a dungeon make sure to press square and talk to all your party members about it, they all have unique lines of dialogue for when you wear a costume and when they wear one. The lines seem to change too depending on your party compisition.

I don't have any jokey ones yet in this game, but in 3 the female characters used to hate the fanservice outfits you could put them in.

I'm sorry Mitsuru but it honestly has the best defense.

quote:

Also I found out why people have been leveling Rise the soonest, she gets WAY more stuff in this than she did in the original (Her skill list in the OP is wrong). She’s been getting upgrades almost every S.Link level and some of it is new.

That might be the result but I'm pretty sure it's not the reason.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Got the game Saturday, finished it just now. 70 hours, which isn't too bad I guess. My first playthrough of the PS2 version was about 95. Of course, this means that I've spent more than half of every hour since I got this game playing it. It's OK, I didn't want that social life anyway. New Game+ here we go.

I liked the epilogue. It was a lot better put together than some of the other new additions. TBH I thought a bit of the stuff they added in was kinda dumb. Certain cutscenes immediately spring to mind. Some of the stuff they added was really great though, and I could spend all day toying with the new fusion system.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Finally got around to the beach event.

You're a man. Let 'em dangle my sides!!
Any banter involving Kanji turns out hilarious!

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
I've been making decent progress on S.Links, if none are available at night I chose to read, and so on. I'm on the first day that the sauna dungeon becomes available. Is it possible to max out social links easily on the first playthrough, assuming you don't break any? Or is it like in Persona 3, where you need to get all your stats up, and then try again? I am planning on replaying it, but I'm trying to get as much as I can in my first playthrough.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
You're not going to max out all links the first playthrough.

Just enjoy the first time (while working on your stats) and then focus on getting everyone the second time around.

Just be sure to only get one girlfriend.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

HiveCommander posted:

Finally got around to the beach event.

You're a man. Let 'em dangle my sides!!
Anyone who doesn't pick that option is playing this game wrong.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is there any clip of the new Aha! Is this our chance?!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zetta_Slow posted:

I've been making decent progress on S.Links, if none are available at night I chose to read, and so on. I'm on the first day that the sauna dungeon becomes available. Is it possible to max out social links easily on the first playthrough, assuming you don't break any? Or is it like in Persona 3, where you need to get all your stats up, and then try again? I am planning on replaying it, but I'm trying to get as much as I can in my first playthrough.
I will say this much: in P4 vanilla, I didn't try to max out anyone and hosed up a few of the links (didn't start Death until really late, didn't take advantage of lunches), yet I still wound up maxing out everyone except for Moon.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Nate RFB posted:

I will say this much: in P4 vanilla, I didn't try to max out anyone and hosed up a few of the links (didn't start Death until really late, didn't take advantage of lunches), yet I still wound up maxing out everyone except for Moon.

Good choice!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Oh man, with the individual difficulty stuff you can change in new game+, the option for more exp and money are not lying. I walked out of the first dungeon at level 22 and with a net profit of about 100,000 yen, and that was without any grinding, just clearing each floor once.

Also, aside from this, is there anything else unique to P4G's new game+ that wasn't in the original?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I don't think I've ever managed to max Moon. You think I'd do it this playthrough, since I've seen every other Social Link maxed, but nope, late September and she's at Rank 1.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

It's just about December for me in the game and I finally Maxed Kanji's link. Rise, Naoto and Chie are now at the top of my list. Naoto because of the party member boosts, Rise for her bonus skills and Chie because I want a girlfriend. :)

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
What the hell?! I made this stupid zombie with Sukukaja and now Margaret isn't saying anything :(

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Anyone who doesn't pick that option is playing this game wrong.
But if I did that, I would've missed this sold-gold line from Kanji.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Capsaicin posted:

What the hell?! I made this stupid zombie with Sukukaja and now Margaret isn't saying anything :(

If you just made it then you have to leave the room and come back in. She only recognizes it when you first enter.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Man, there are so many tiny changes in this coming from the original P4 and P3P that just make it such a better experience. I'm fairly certain none of this stuff has been around before, but I could be wrong- I want to list some new stuff here so that people who are coming from the old games don't gimp themselves by missing some pretty cool new features:

-You can reorder Persona skills. Press Square on the status screen.
-This may have been the case in P4, but in P3, when you revive a dead teammate, they still skip their turn. So say the turn order is something like Yu, Yosuke (dead), Chie, and you use a Revival Bead as Yu. In P3P I'm 99% sure the next turn would still be Chie (not positive on vanilla P4), but in P4G Yosuke will still get his turn.
-Buffs and debuffs don't fail if they're already in effect- instead of having to wait for the "Attack reverted" message, you can cast Tarukaja again at any time to extend it for 3 more turns. There is no more "Already in effect" message. This works for any buff or debuff.
-When you're selecting a target for a spell, you can press L to view the target's weaknesses without backing out to the battle action menu beforehand (This might have been around as well, but I never noticed it)

If anyone else found other mechanical changes, specifically in battle, post them here. I had been making a lot of strategic choices with the old mechanics in mind, not knowing they had changed. Also, is the in-dungeon banter with your non-active party members new? I ran into Chie and the Fox just hanging out in one room, which I had seen in P4 before- what impressed me was that Chie's dialog was about her first social link rank, where the guy comes up and tries to hit on her. She said she asked Yukiko and she didn't remember the guy either. I thought that was a really cool way to make the S Links have some sort of relevance outside of their little social bubbles.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DeathBySpoon posted:

-Buffs and debuffs don't fail if they're already in effect- instead of having to wait for the "Attack reverted" message, you can cast Tarukaja again at any time to extend it for 3 more turns. There is no more "Already in effect" message. This works for any buff or debuff.
Oh Thank Christ. That drove me mad in P4.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

DeathBySpoon posted:

-When you're selecting a target for a spell, you can press L to view the target's weaknesses without backing out to the battle action menu beforehand (This might have been around as well, but I never noticed it)

This was in the original.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I found the Megido card.

Goodbye all Hands forever.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Yosuke's speech about the merits of obtaining motorcycles is just the inspiration I needed this morning. Somewhere out there, the best days of our youth are ahead of us.

And Kanji is going to show his manhood to all these chicks.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

OmegaZultan posted:

All that matters is doing her stuff leads to a sweet epilogue.

I guess, It just kinda bugs me that what's essentialy someones persona 4 fanfiction self-insert is in the game.

Honestly the epilogue was kinda lame, too.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
I just love Galatic Punt, do other members of the party get similar moves? Also, I just can't believe there is no drawback from it, besides losing a one more, if you got it, that is.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Zetta_Slow posted:

I just love Galatic Punt, do other members of the party get similar moves? Also, I just can't believe there is no drawback from it, besides losing a one more, if you got it, that is.

All characters have followup moves but none of them are insta-kills like Chie's. Chie supremacy.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Saint Freak posted:

I found the Megido card.

I got a Magican Skill up in Shuffle time that up my Megido Yatagarasu to Megidola.

And it knows Mind Charge.

:getin:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anyone playing a fresh new game on very hard? I saw that it's just except with .4 coefficients on XP/Gold gain, and it didn't look like the mode for me. Then I started running into rescuing people and the experience you get from that to compensate, so now I am not so sure. I almost always play Persona games on Hard modes these days, except when they multiply the fusion book costs exponentially (because I really do like fusing).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Is it weird that my MC is using nothing but the Japanese god and goddess Personas?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I'm on #4 S Link for Nanoko (I think), and it's been stuck at "you don't feel you are going to advance in your relationship" for several nights now. Is there some other event that has to happen for it to advance? I'm in the beginning of July.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

To advance Nanako's Social Link past level 4 you need to have max Expression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Thought I could beat Shadow Yukiko once I dinged to 9 with Senri on Hard. First attempt went fine until the mid-point summon.

Did...did they take away Charming Prince's weakness to ice? I could've sworn I used it, but he just shrugged it off, and then the next two attacks one-shot two of my guys. Maybe I just missed, though.

• Locked thread