Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Zackarotto posted:

Paypal should go up soon; they didn't want to dilute the offering toward the kickstarter total until they met the base goal, or something. (They were expecting an "uphill battle".)

Ahaha, these guys got their goal within a day, so really, it's amazing how expectations can be turned around so quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I did a little fistpump, pledged and spent a half hour listening to slammin', jammin' mashups of the Space Jam song.

Juche Fucktodd
Nov 2, 2012

to change the forums
It seems even the developers themselves underestimated the power of b-ball.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Echoing the "get Quad City DJ's to make the official soundtrack of the game of the movie" stretch goal

JeebusMcChrist
Nov 22, 2012
Holy sweet poo poo.

The project may have reached its goal but come my paycheck I'm throwing some cash your way; Barkley 1 was incredible, and since you're taking all that personality and humor and making it an ARPG, I need to change my pants.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
Guys, I cannot believe how quickly we reached our goal. I am just

man

Thank you everybody. This really means a lot to me and I am just so happy that Barkley 2 can finally happen. I really want to thank all of you. This is amazing to me and I really, really appreciate all of your generosity and enthusiasm. This blows me away!!! AAAAAAAAAA

We will be updating soon with stretch goals (we don't have many planned out because we thought this would take the whole month), a Paypal link and more news. I can tell you that our first stretch goal is a Mac port. Also, we did not ask for enough money to work on this full-time, we asked for enough to work full-time for a few months. The more money we get, the longer can work full-time on the game, which means it will be bigger and better and more fully realized.

I can't thank you all enough. I just

WOW!!!!! AAAAA

Thank you!

Thauros posted:

You guys have my money regardless, but is this a single character or multi-character game?

The FAQ says single character but this pic shows what looks like a standard JRPG style party screen.

Hahaha

This game has a lot of surprises in store. I don't want to reveal too much too soon, but you do create your party. None of those are real characters in the game, those are characters that were created.

jvempire posted:

From what I've seen from the kickstarter video, the combat looks legitimately fun. The quest system sounds interesting as well, though I have some difficulty in picturing how it will work. If people/places/quests change over time, what does that really mean? Like Majoras Mask style?

Well, it means a lot of things. First, the content, events and quests available to you open and close as time progresses. An event or quest that's only available early in the game will just disappear, and if you miss it, it's gone for good. Quests and events often lead to even more content, so if you do a quest, it will very likely change something else in the world. The example we gave in the RPG Codex interview is that eventually a town gets destroyed if you don't intercede. This is a really dramatic example, but there are lots and lots of smaller (and even bigger) things that happen with the time system.

The reason we're doing this is because we want everyone's game to be different. We want someone to have a game that is not at all like their friend's game because they went off in one direction and one time and their friend went off in another direction at another time. We want there to be dozens, hundreds of things that very few people, who just happened to be in the right place at the right time, see and experience.

This is the #1 thing we want to do with Barkley. It's like the backbone of the game.

Beardless Riker posted:

I'm interested in this game, but I am a stoner. I'm not sure if this is the game for me?
If you work hard, drop the corporate attitude, drop the trends and stone infrequently, you too can become a TRUE DOOM-MURDERHEAD.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Congratulations on hitting the goal. I tossed my $10 in for some vidcon goodness and I can't wait.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
This is lookin' real good.

Also, they only have 4.5 left in the first 24 hours...:ohdear:
Edit: And one copy of the ad is up, but if people don't start putting in massive dough to the kickstarter soon, I'll probably have to buy another.

dirby fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 29, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I hope Truck Pump reprises his role for this game.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Chef Boyardee posted:

Guys, I cannot believe how quickly we reached our goal. I am just

man

Thank you everybody. This really means a lot to me and I am just so happy that Barkley 2 can finally happen. I really want to thank all of you. This is amazing to me and I really, really appreciate all of your generosity and enthusiasm. This blows me away!!! AAAAAAAAAA

I think you guys seriously underestimated how many people loved the first Barkley game. There aren't a lot of intentionally funny games out there, let alone funny games that have pretty enjoyable gameplay.

If this game has anything close to the reactivity in Alpha Protocol then I think you're going to have a lot of fans here.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 29, 2012

Eggs
Apr 15, 2007
I'm so juiced about this freaking game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

drat someone backed $1000 already

This is awesome, you guys are awesome, I love everyone
A year though, gently caress

Edit: The $300 option is sold out, gently caress

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 29, 2012

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Congrats Chef! Glad to see this met it's goal.

Still going to donate.

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Hey guys, im one of the artists on this. Character sprites and animated bits mostly.

Cant believe how quickly we reached the goal, gat drat. This is nuts. Thank you so much everyone!!

Juche Fucktodd
Nov 2, 2012

to change the forums
I'd like to compliment the graphics and art we've seen so far. The ripped assets gave the original some (hilarious) flavor. But seeing these beautiful sprites and animation got me on board to donate my sweet, sweet neo-shekels.

Ludicrous G. Gibs
Jan 28, 2012

Drinks?
I'm also glad this met its goal. Barkley 1 was a fantastic game and deserves all the love it's getting. Congrats!

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~

MultiWerar posted:

I'd like to compliment the graphics and art we've seen so far. The ripped assets gave the original some (hilarious) flavor. But seeing these beautiful sprites and animation got me on board to donate my sweet, sweet neo-shekels.

Yeah seriously, the animations of the dwarf dude shanking (idk) the other guy and the hooligan flipping the coin were awesome.

Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden was one of my favorite games ever all time, I never thought this day would come!

e: "mysterious dwarf space ziggurat" is a good phrase

mrs. nicholas sarkozy fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 29, 2012

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

Yeah seriously, the animations of the dwarf dude shanking (idk) the other guy and the hooligan flipping the coin were awesome.

Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden was one of my favorite games ever all time, I never thought this day would come!

I think he was branding not-Hoopz with some sort if ID.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Hey guys, im one of the artists on this. Character sprites and animated bits mostly.

Cant believe how quickly we reached the goal, gat drat. This is nuts. Thank you so much everyone!!

You guys are really talented. The sprite work is really, really good, reminds me of some of the old Amiga games (but better).

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, the spritework looks amazing!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I hope you guys get crazy loving money with all the publicity you're sure to get now. You really deserve it!

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Dreylad posted:

You guys are really talented. The sprite work is really, really good, reminds me of some of the old Amiga games (but better).

I was going to say just this, actually. Watching the gameplay reminded me a lot of The Chaos Engine. This is a Good Thing.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

whhat are the dorito stretch goal doyou plan to do some crunches

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Now I'm regretting not jumping on the $300 stretch reward while I had the chance. Oh well, I guess not getting divorced'll have to do.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Finally.
The return of the post-B-Ball-apocalyptic Neo-dystopia.

Also the original Barkley did something no other RPG in existence has ever done before:

IT MADE A SEWER DUNGEON FUN.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
These last few weeks have been all about resisting temptation to buy myself stuff in favor of getting Christmas presents. Now I say gently caress that and buy myself the best thing.

PS: Open up more $300 ones so I can have someone get it for me for Christmas.

PatrickDomino
Apr 2, 2001
April's Fool.
#wow #whoa I have been a big fan of your work and game. When I get into my car, I have programmed robocop.mp3 to play every time. I will donate simply because I want to rep anyone living in the worst state (Maryland) with me.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Finally.
The return of the post-B-Ball-apocalyptic Neo-dystopia.

Also the original Barkley did something no other RPG in existence has ever done before:

IT MADE A SEWER DUNGEON FUN.

Ahaha

We're actually working on a sewer dungeon right now and I can promise it is a lot more fun than the one in the original Barkley. We've learned a lot about game design since we made the original Barkley and one of the most important things has been that the best dungeons don't actually feel like dungeons. In fact, I think "dungeons" as a designated area where you FIGHT ENEMIES and DO NOT SPEAK TO ANYONE is awful and outdated and there will be none of that in this game. The games with the best dungeons, in my opinion, are Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, Realms of Arkania: Star Trail, Stonekeep and Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter, where there are actual fun things to do in each of them. We're drawing a lot from their area design.

Jibo posted:

These last few weeks have been all about resisting temptation to buy myself stuff in favor of getting Christmas presents. Now I say gently caress that and buy myself the best thing.

PS: Open up more $300 ones so I can have someone get it for me for Christmas.
Yeah, I think this is what we're going to be doing, as well as some new ones.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Game Maker has iOS and Android support now, can we hope for a mobile version as a stretch goal?

poo poo, I'd drop a hundo right now for the possibility of a BSUaJ:G android rerelease.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I love it. I'm looking forward (but will forget and then be reminded of in due time, with much renewed enthusiasm) to the final game. You have my pledgebucks.

I was wondering what you are doing with the combat (and movement) mechanic to make it interesting or to go beyond your initial idea. I suppose Hotline Miami is the big thing for a similar looking type of combat gameplay - it was almost like a blood-strewn puzzler. I suppose I'm asking whether or not your combat will either move past or innovate further Smash TV or A Link to the Past (with guns) levels of interactivity?

I hope that makes sense, and I'm not dissin' or anything.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I know there are a lot of people that want to see this on Steam, but please could you also do some form of DRM-free release?

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

RandomFerret posted:

poo poo, I'd drop a hundo right now for the possibility of a BSUaJ:G android rerelease.

It's funny you say that because a dude has been working on this independently and sent me a build a few days ago. This isn't something I can make any promises on, because I personally am not working on it and didn't solicit it (he volunteered himself to do this) but if it actually does come out, we will absolutely include it on our site. I don't really know how Android works, but it would definitely have to be free.

Convex posted:

I know there are a lot of people that want to see this on Steam, but please could you also do some form of DRM-free release?
A lot of people assume we're putting this on Steam, but that is so far ahead of us that we can't promise anything. No, we will not include DRM in this game and we will try to get this on as many distribution sites like Desura, GoG.com and Steam as possible. But right now, that's so far into the future that it's just sort of beyond us.

Chef Boyardee fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 29, 2012

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
So is Game Maker actually a good tool for this kind of game? Or is it more that you guys are already familiar with it?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Convex posted:

FYI Steam's DRM services are entirely optional, the idea that all Steam releases MUST have DRM is a myth. If you have some indie games on Steam try a couple of them out -- just copy-paste them out of steamapps and into wherever, and at least some of them should still work fine. Put them on a flashdrive and take them wherever.

E: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Judging from what I've seen on the KS, Game Maker is perfect for it. It's more flexible than people know.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 29, 2012

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Awesome, thanks for clarifying that :)

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Cicero posted:

So is Game Maker actually a good tool for this kind of game? Or is it more that you guys are already familiar with it?

Both! Game Maker is a great engine. Games like Spelunky, Hotline Miami and (I'm pretty sure) Aquaria were all made in it, so it's kind of a stereotype that it's used exclusively by hacks. It's just a coincidence that we're hacks and we're using GM, it doesn't reflect on the engine itself.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Is Hundley still one of the guys on the writing team for this?

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
aaa 40k in less than a day, this is completely bonker's

Game Maker is pretty good. (Aquaria wasnt made in GM tho chef, I am 100% certain)
Working on a sweet pic for stretch goals right now. I hope you guys like crummy-rear end CRT screens and piles of skulls.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Zerilan posted:

Is Hundley still one of the guys on the writing team for this?

Hahaha, yes! He wasn't a writer on the first Barkley but he was a character. He has done some really good writing for Barkley 2, way better than my own, and we are super happy to have him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Chef Boyardee posted:

Hahaha, yes! He wasn't a writer on the first Barkley but he was a character. He has done some really good writing for Barkley 2, way better than my own, and we are super happy to have him.

Awesome, doubling down on what I intended to pledge then. A lot of hobbies and poo poo I have done in the last couple years I probably would not have gotten into if not for forum/irc conversations with Hundley on GW a few years ago.