Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The 360 has a model that doesn't come with a proper hard drive, and without it, even if you don't download anything a lot of popular games have content locked-away, as they require extra HD space. In order to solve this, you need to buy Microsoft's extremely overpriced hard drive, and there's no other practical alternative.

When Nintendo says "Why put in a hard drive and drive up costs when it's tech that's getting cheaper? Slap anything you want on there." everybody bitches. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I still haven't bothered hooking an external drive up to my basic.

I'd rather just have one version but I don't think that particular omission is a big deal.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

FoneBone posted:

Gotta post this somewhere - cover for the final issue of Nintendo Power:

Homage to the very first issue in 1988:

You have no idea how much this post depressed me. I still remember getting my hands on that first issue. So much to look forward to and so many great things yet to come...

Jesus, what happened to my life? :(

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Gendo posted:

I still haven't bothered hooking an external drive up to my basic.

I'd rather just have one version but I don't think that particular omission is a big deal.

I just worry that a lot of people won't be entirely informed about the lack of storage on a basic version when they buy it, either for themselves or for their kids. I also think that DLC presents a worrying possibility for kids with the basic version, as they're going to want the content but have nowhere to put it (and convincing your parents to buy you an external hard drive for your Wii U will probably be a tall order - poo poo, I could barely get my parents to buy memory cards). Buying external hard drives is totally understandable for older people, but I just don't think it's a good decision for a largely child-centric console.

abloo bloo think of the kids, I guess. This post needs a Sarah McLachlan soundtrack.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

C'mon now, let's not be disingenuous and suggest that the problem with memory cards was going out to buy them.

edit: Does anyone else remember that Diablo 1 port for the Playstation? The save file took up 10 blocks. Out of 15.

The Xbox 360 initially used memory cards. 64mb ones. There was a limit on the file size of XBLA games at 50mb, presumably so that you could fit one onto the memory card if you didn't have a hard drive.

Except the leftover space after the 50mb game wasn't enough to store the gamer profile you needed to purchase the game.

I'm fine with people complaining about things, but HOLY poo poo IT COULD BE SO MUCH WORSE.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
FWIW, I was able to adjust my screen size in the Miiverse settings, so the edges weren't getting cut off on the TV.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I guess we'll know if it comes up but I have a hard time imagining the scenario where the family is savvy enough to buy stuff digitally, is letting their kid buy stuff digitally, and yet won't also listen to that kid to buy a hard drive, or be savvy enough themselves to look at the size of a game on the eshop and say, "I guess I need to buy a bigger drive[there will be drives advertising themselves as being for the Wii U in stores at some point I assume] in order to do this."

Also I think judging by the launch lineup it might be a stretch to say that this console is more child centric than the other consoles. Judging the future is a mug's game, though.

kater posted:

The Xbox 360 initially used memory cards. 64mb ones. There was a limit on the file size of XBLA games at 50mb, presumably so that you could fit one onto the memory card if you didn't have a hard drive.

Except the leftover space after the 50mb game wasn't enough to store the gamer profile you needed to purchase the game.

I'm fine with people complaining about things, but HOLY poo poo IT COULD BE SO MUCH WORSE.

I had a launch 360 with a hard drive because the idea of going back to memory cards after the original Xbox was insane to me.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

amaranthine posted:

Buying external hard drives is totally understandable for older people, but I just don't think it's a good decision for a largely child-centric console.

abloo bloo think of the kids, I guess. This post needs a Sarah McLachlan soundtrack.

The average American consumer doesn't even understand what a hard drive is. If you're familiar with downloading big stuff, you're familiar with hard drive space, and probably with externals.

When you download any title on the WiiU, it warns you that the standard WiiU doesn't have adequate space, and that you'll need an external hard drive, in big gross red letters.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Rawrbomb posted:

FWIW, I was able to adjust my screen size in the Miiverse settings, so the edges weren't getting cut off on the TV.

Yeah but the thing is it only changes it for Miiverse, games are still a bit cut off unless you can change the settings on your TV.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Something that might be worth mentioning: when you transfer your Wii to a Wii U, the contents of your message board (play history, friend messages, etc.) don't transfer over and also get wiped from the Wii.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Anyone know if any work has been done to get the pro controller working with a PC?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

They'll also have 3 SLI'D GTX790s, octo-cores and cost under 500 dollars.

It's not the same situation at all. The Wii was a souped up gamecube while the 360 could produce HD visuals, handle advanced shaders, physics, things that require high amounts of processing power (hundreds of NPCs, huge worlds, etc.) all of which were impossible on the Wii. This isn't even mentioning that the Wii had very impractical controls that were a complete bitch for developers to figure out.

If the next xbox and PS4 have significantly more power than the WiiU, it'll be used for small details and better performance, but it won't be anything that will kill third party support or make ports impossible.
So people don't think Bob is a crazy person, here's John Carmack:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-19-john-carmack-not-all-that-excited-by-next-gen-hardware

quote:

Ultimately, technology doesn't hold back game designers anymore, Carmack said and that's why he doesn't view the next graphical leap as being too important.

"When people ask how tapped out is the current console generation, PCs are 10 times as powerful but you really are still not technically limited. Any creative vision that a designer could come up with, we can do a pretty good job representing on current generation and certainly on PC. In many ways I am not all that excited about the next generation. It will let us do everything we want to do now, with the knobs turned up," he said.

"If you take a current game like Halo which is a 30 hertz game at 720p; if you run that at 1080p, 60 frames with high dynamic frame buffers, all of a sudden you've sucked up all the power you have in the next-generation. It will be what we already have, but a lot better. You will be able to redesign with a focus on D11, but it will not really change anyone's world. It will look a lot better, it will move towards the movie rendering experience and that is better and better, but it's not like the first time you've ever played an FPS. It won't be like putting yourself in the virtual world. All the little things you can do on that, such as playing an audio cue over here, and turning your attention to that. That will be more of the discontinuous step like we've had with first going to 3D or first using a mouse," he elaborated.
...of course he's crazy hyped up about VR these days, which is what the latter part about "the virtual world" is referring to, plus he's enjoyed developing on weaker hardware like handhelds/phones so I guess he's not all that similar to the other big devs in the industry.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

C'mon now, let's not be disingenuous and suggest that the problem with memory cards was going out to buy them.

edit: Does anyone else remember that Diablo 1 port for the Playstation? The save file took up 10 blocks. Out of 15.
Pretty sure I still have the bundled Animal Crossing memory card somewhere :v:

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I guess we'll know if it comes up but I have a hard time imagining the scenario where the family is savvy enough to buy stuff digitally, is letting their kid buy stuff digitally, and yet won't also listen to that kid to buy a hard drive, or be savvy enough themselves to look at the size of a game on the eshop and say, "I guess I need to buy a bigger drive[there will be drives advertising themselves as being for the Wii U in stores at some point I assume] in order to do this."

Also I think judging by the launch lineup it might be a stretch to say that this console is more child centric than the other consoles. Judging the future is a mug's game, though.
I have just one set of parents, so I can't speak for the relative technological literacy of America as a whole, but I know my parents would be totally OK with me downloading games online yet have absolutely no idea about hard drive space or external hard drives. They understand price tags, though, and externals are cheap by working adult standards but not by "poo poo you buy for your kid's game console" standards.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Almost Smart posted:

You have no idea how much this post depressed me. I still remember getting my hands on that first issue. So much to look forward to and so many great things yet to come...

It really pisses me off that Nintendo hasn't turned Nintendo Power into an online website, maybe even an app on the Wii U to show game previews and tips.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The thing that really gets me is all the "But we don't know! We don't know how strong they're going to be!"

We know one thing: They won't be half as strong as the beefier PCs of today without pulling a sony and charging an absurd amount. The 360 was alien technology from the future when it came out, but now all the parts have become cheap and practical, and if they want that alien-tech-shock again, it just won't be within anyone's budget.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Bobnumerotres posted:

The 360 has a model that doesn't come with a proper hard drive, and without it, even if you don't download anything a lot of popular games have content locked-away, as they require extra HD space. In order to solve this, you need to buy Microsoft's extremely overpriced hard drive, and there's no other practical alternative.

When Nintendo says "Why put in a hard drive and drive up costs when it's tech that's getting cheaper? Slap anything you want on there." everybody bitches. :psyduck:

You can plug in a 32 gig usb stick into the 360. Content "locked away" :rolleyes:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

amaranthine posted:

I have just one set of parents, so I can't speak for the relative technological literacy of America as a whole, but I know my parents would be totally OK with me downloading games online yet have absolutely no idea about hard drive space or external hard drives. They understand price tags, though, and externals are cheap by working adult standards but not by "poo poo you buy for your kid's game console" standards.
You can buy a 500GB drive for about the price of a new game, so I guess by that logic they wouldn't buy games for their kid's console (or the console in the first place for that matter).

hitze posted:

You can plug in a 32 gig usb stick into the 360. Content "locked away" :rolleyes:
I remember Dirt 3 wouldn't let me save replays or something (upload to youtube?) without a drive present. I only had a 16GB stick though, this was before the update that let you hook up 32GB.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It really pisses me off that Nintendo hasn't turned Nintendo Power into an online website, maybe even an app on the Wii U to show game previews and tips.

I've been surprised for a while that they haven't done a channel on one of their consoles/handhelds that was magazinelike. They seem fairly "playful" with the presentation on the WiiU, so I could see them doing a channel with a mix of text and video content that would replace something like Nintendo Power. Insert the ability to livestream their Nintendo Direct stuff, and they would have a nice little self-promotion machine that they produce themselves just like when they ran Nintendo Power itself, and with no physical publication costs that would preach to the people that are definitely interested in their stuff directly.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Now that they have a real online service the world is their oyster in terms of doing Nintendo Power-like promotions. Put people's scores on the front page of a game and let people compete like in the old Nintendo Power issues that had you taking a picture of your TV, or like leaderboards but make a way bigger deal, offer prizes, etc. Have people submit guides or tips and post them up in a featured area of the Miiverse and everything.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Zomodok posted:

Well you need to know how well a company is doing in all of their divisions before you can accurately form a picture of how their games will be.

This was from a few pages back, but i'm much more concerned with a company's financial status than hardware specs. Nintendo may have had their first annual losses ever in 2011, but they are also sitting on billions of dollars cash on hand. Sony has had annual losses 4 years in a row (obviously not a completely fair comparison but sega went software only after 5 years of losses in a row), their bonds were recently downgraded to junk status, they are talking about selling off branches of their company and their stock has lost half it's value in the past year.

Hopefully that doesn't read fanboy'ish, losing Sony would be terrible because Microsoft would be uncontested with Nintendo not directly trying to compete with them and that wouldn't be good for consumers. My point being, with Nintendo's financial situation they are capable of using some of their hoard to do things like take chances and pay for exclusives. Sony might be backed into a corner where they can't afford to take a loss on systems and either try to sell at an outrageous price again or release a system not meeting spec expectations. So I think a company's financial status has some merit.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I've always been kind of surprised that Nintendo never created an analogue to Sony Japan's Weekly Toro Station. They love to combine social interaction with information and gameplay, as seen by the Miiverse and with StreetPass, so I figured that something along the lines of WTS/Mainichi Issho would be right up their alley.

I mean, a daily news program run by colorful mascots who talk about everything related to their brand from video games, services, anime, and so on, which is also a game full of collectibles, customization, and mini-games with online play to enjoy with friends? That sounds exactly like the kind of thing Nintendo would be down for. I only watched a few episodes of WTS' predecessor Mainichi Issho, mainly due to WTS requiring a god drat subscription, but it was a really fun concept. I would love to see something like that on Nintendo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They did do a daily program for Wii in Japan, I think it was called "Wii no Ma". It didn't really take off because, well, Wii.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Almost Smart posted:

I spent a good portion of my Thanksgiving at home reading my old issues of Nintendo Power. I started subscribing at the end of the SNES era up through most of the N64 era. I think my first issue was issue 90-something. Nintendo Power was pretty awesome when I was 8-13 or so. That is a really awesome last cover too. Makes me a bit sad :smith:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

hitze posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the 360 originally supported USB memory?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nickoten posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the 360 originally supported USB memory?
Yeah it was a pretty recent change. Well not that recent, spring 2010 apparently, but still that's almost five years after launch. And it only supported 16GB per USB storage device up until the recent update (this month iirc) which bumped it to a whopping 32GB.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fleedar posted:

Oddly enough, it looks like the system outputs a bit of underscan when in Wii mode. I have a black border about 20-30 pixels wide when playing Wii games unless I turn 1:1 mode off.

the wii menu (and several wii games) would do render their screen in 640x448, instead of 720x480. My TV would automatically cut this off on the component input, but I guess they decided to have whatever is scaling the wii mode image not cut it off. Some games I've seen render to the full. I wonder why they just didn't extend the white into the non safe area when designing the wii menu.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well, I picked mine up this morning and have had absolutely nothing bad to say about it. I didn't have the money for any extra games, but Nintendoland really is a good bit of fun. I'd also swear that Wii games do look at least a little sharper on the WiiU, especially if you try something like Muramasa.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
Anyone in AU/NZ get one today? Curious as to how the network is holding up for the big initial patch.

I think I might pick one up tomorrow. I popped into Dick Smith after work and they had nothing on show at all. That said, their games section in up the back in a sad little section. They are the cheapest around me though, so hopefully they can dig one up.

Also, I wish someone would make a "Next Gen Discussion" thread so all this pointless speculation can be moved there.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I was just checking out the Miiverse on NBA2K13 and people are complaining about the frame rate and how a patch may be incoming to fix it. Do you all know anything about this? To anybody that has played it, is the frame rate that bad? I want to buy it on my Wii U so I can play it in bed, but if it has issues I will save the $30 and just get it on Steam.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kiwillian posted:

Anyone in AU/NZ get one today? Curious as to how the network is holding up for the big initial patch.

I think I might pick one up tomorrow. I popped into Dick Smith after work and they had nothing on show at all. That said, their games section in up the back in a sad little section. They are the cheapest around me though, so hopefully they can dig one up.

Also, I wish someone would make a "Next Gen Discussion" thread so all this pointless speculation can be moved there.

If it's anything like the US, be ready to stare at a blue bar for 2 hours or more.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

loudog999 posted:

I was just checking out the Miiverse on NBA2K13 and people are complaining about the frame rate and how a patch may be incoming to fix it. Do you all know anything about this? To anybody that has played it, is the frame rate that bad? I want to buy it on my Wii U so I can play it in bed, but if it has issues I will save the $30 and just get it on Steam.

Never purchase first generation sports games. This is usually a rule for EA Sports games but applies to pretty much anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kiwillian posted:

I got mine and it's been perfectly fine. The Big Patch took about an hour at most, and the Nintendoland one only took about ten minutes.

Also Kiwillian, if you want a cheap WiiU; either go to Kmart (They have the Deluxe for $380), or take on of their catalogues to EB and get them to give you one for the same price.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I got mine and it's been perfectly fine. The Big Patch took about an hour at most, and the Nintendoland one only took about ten minutes.

Also Kiwillian, if you want a cheap WiiU; either go to Kmart (They have the Deluxe for $380), or take on of their catalogues to EB and get them to give you one for the same price.

I'm in NZ and I don't think Kmart exist any more. But $AU380 is way less expensive than it is here :(

DSE has it for $NZ539. RRP is, I think, $569.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Looks like I'll be getting one of these. A local Target appeared to have one in stock, although when I called ahead to be sure I was told otherwise. At first the answer was no, just white ones. The guy had a look for me anyways, and ten minutes on hold later, he found a single one despite inventory reporting thirteen. He couldn't hold it, he said, but he could hide it, and not put it out. Thanks, Target guy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kiwillian posted:

I'm in NZ and I don't think Kmart exist any more. But $AU380 is way less expensive than it is here :(

DSE has it for $NZ539. RRP is, I think, $569.

Ouch. You guys really got the short end of the stick on this one. RRP in Australia is $430, so it might be worth simply importing it or something.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Revol posted:

Why do criticisms always need to be labeled as 'hate'? I loving love Nintendo, and have since I was in elementary school. I just want to see them do better.

Speaking from experience, people can take criticisms the wrong way which draws everyone into a back-and-forth discussion that can end up making you look like you hate Nintendo. Talking about Nintendo's position in the market is also complicated by the context surrounding it, such as the Wii's high number of total sales and low attach rate, which can make both sides of an argument think they're right.

The interest in the Wii U's specs is driven a lot by Nintendo's secrecy. The cross-platform ports so far have had performance issues, and one developer publicly labeled the system as weak, so obviously there is going to be curiosity about how competitive the hardware is and what it will mean in a couple of years.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

japtor posted:

You can buy a 500GB drive for about the price of a new game, so I guess by that logic they wouldn't buy games for their kid's console (or the console in the first place for that matter).

I remember Dirt 3 wouldn't let me save replays or something (upload to youtube?) without a drive present. I only had a 16GB stick though, this was before the update that let you hook up 32GB.

Forza won't allow you to race against ghosts and your rewinds are cuts, rather than transitions unless you have a harddrive. No size flash drive will enable either of these.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Scribblenauts is pretty fun so far.

I created a giant imam and a giant rabbi and separated them with a giant wall. Then I gave the imam a rock and the rabbi an SMG then made them both angry.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gendo posted:

Scribblenauts is pretty fun so far.

I created a giant imam and a giant rabbi and separated them with a giant wall. Then I gave the imam a rock and the rabbi an SMG then made them both angry.
Now what you've gotta do is spawn "President" and see what they do.

EDIT: A God cannot hurt any holy people. Imam, Rabbis, priests, etc. are invulnerable to an Angry God's attacks.

An Atheist, however, will run terrified.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011
So the week the Wii U came out I put myself on Gamestop's waiting list. Dropped by today to pick up something else and casually mentioned the list and they got all shifty and said they were told to throw away the list and just start selling new shipments to whoever walks in (rather than reserving them). And they were told not to call the waiting list about it.

Just a heads up for anyone else who might be waiting.

• Locked thread