Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Rookersh posted:

So what exactly are Signature Weapons?

Unique weapons that can be unlocked in the store by completing the collection sidequests and liberating outposts.

Speaking of, the Signature 1911 'Shadow' does come with a silencer, but it also has a goofy red dot sight on the top. drat. I don't think you can take attachments off of them either.

Right now I have the 'Shadow', a stealth optimized black 1911, 'Bull', a unique M133 which does more damage, has custom paint, extended shell count and a red dot sight, and 'Shredder'; a Vector .45 submachinegun with a sight, silencer, custom paint job and extended mag, which is accurate and does more damage.

Interesting that you can get a Vector through the Signature weapons, as I haven't seen a normal one in the game yet.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

Rookersh posted:

So what exactly are Signature Weapons?

Or I guess a better question would be, has anybody grabbed the recipes from the Relics yet? Wondering if it would be worth collecting 20 or so of the drat things if the recipes suck.
e;^^ :argh:
one of them is the revolver with the scope you unlock with uplay points but that's the only one i know of.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Since I don't have it yet I've been watching youtube videos of this one guy who does and boy does he suck at this game. Drives me nuts that he keeps forgetting he has skill points to spend.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

njark posted:

one of them is the revolver with the scope you unlock with uplay points but that's the only one i know of.

That revolver kinda sucks. I love me a big hand cannon but it's just not that fun to use and the sound is real weak.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Speedball posted:

Since I don't have it yet I've been watching youtube videos of this one guy who does and boy does he suck at this game. Drives me nuts that he keeps forgetting he has skill points to spend.

To be fair, in a weird design decision, you only unlock more skills for use as you progress in the story. So it's pretty common to hoard up a bunch of skill points.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Speedball posted:

It's really easy to have points building up and not spending them because of a variety of things present in the Ui, the pacing and the general structure of the game.

In fact, most of the time it's best not to spend them straight away.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
A quick question, i saw the AI having M4's during one of the missions, and a unique Vector was unlocked as a signature weapon.

Is there another set of weapons that get unlocked with time?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

This game is pretty fantastic. The hunting rpg elements add a lot to the far cry gameplay. Everything runs without a hitch on max details@2550x1440 on my 670 newest Nvidia beta drivers.

Only slight I agree is the gun sound effects aren't as dramatic as the game deserves. As amazing as the audio is and how atmospheric the game is in general the gun sounds should have a lot more punch. That should be the first mod anyone makes

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland
I can't seem to find any multi player matches or coop. is it really dead already?

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Is there a guide to the signature weapons yet? I'd love a special F1, AK, Skorpion, flare gun or grenade launcher but don't give a poo poo about any of the other weapons

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Bloodmobile posted:

Is there a guide to the signature weapons yet? I'd love a special F1, AK, Skorpion, flare gun or grenade launcher but don't give a poo poo about any of the other weapons

They unlock incrementally as far as I know.

UberJumper posted:

A quick question, i saw the AI having M4's during one of the missions, and a unique Vector was unlocked as a signature weapon.

Is there another set of weapons that get unlocked with time?

There's also a Spas 12 in the game. Seems like it, if I had to guess, I'm going to say Hoyt's men use them on the second island and that's when they unlock?

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 30, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

njark posted:

I can't seem to find any multi player matches or coop. is it really dead already?

I'm going to guess because it's not fully out yet.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Y'know, I was wondering why the pirates were having all these predators caged up in their bases, but then I realized they're probably smuggling the animals. Cassowaries and tigers are endangered, after all.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
This isn't a game anyone bought for the multiplayer, I'd guess you'll only start seeing players for it a few weeks after release once people get bored of the single player.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
So the tattoo is more complicated than I originally thought - I thought it was just get skills, tattoo gets bigger, but the row of dots around the center corresponds 1:1 with relics found, and I rushed a bit of the main quest and now the big details are filled in but all the little fiddly bits like birds and reeds and skulls aren't. I'm guessing they match up with sidequests but I'm not sure yet.

So now my guess is that the tattoo is basically your 100% meter as well as a running tale of the game so far, and that is awesome.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tehan posted:

So the tattoo is more complicated than I originally thought - I thought it was just get skills, tattoo gets bigger, but the row of dots around the center corresponds 1:1 with relics found, and I rushed a bit of the main quest and now the big details are filled in but all the little fiddly bits like birds and reeds and skulls aren't. I'm guessing they match up with sidequests but I'm not sure yet.

So now my guess is that the tattoo is basically your 100% meter as well as a running tale of the game so far, and that is awesome.

Haha, that's totally neato. All the more reason to go for 100% completion, then!

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Dan Didio posted:

They unlock incrementally as far as I know.

There's also a Spas 12 in the game. Seems like it, if I had to guess, I'm going to say Hoyt's men use them on the second island and that's when they unlock?

i am on the second island and no new weapons have unlocked, i've done a few missions but and unlocked about half of the radio towers. The AI seems to carry them, but even if i pick it up and go to a shop/store i don't have any option to change it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'm gonna be streaming the game in just a few minutes over on TwitchTV.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

I have one about two hours in. V:v:V

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Irony: your stream of Far Cry 3 is interrupted by an ad for Far Cry 3.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I bought it on PS3 because I thought my computer would be too crappy to run it well but I think this game is really pushing the PS3 to its limit. It doesn't even look like 30 FPS to me. When my friend gets it on PC I might try it out on mine and if it runs any better trade it in for a PC copy.

John Jhonson
Sep 20, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

On giantbomb.com, during their quick look, they made a joke about the twist of Far Cry 3 being that the protagonist is in an Animus, which were being advertised as a commercial product at some point in an Assassin's Creed game. Vinny Caravella quipped that he wanted to see an Abstergo symbol in Far Cry 3 somewhere.

Holy poo poo please tell me this is just a joke and isn't the actual twist in the game.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

John Jhonson posted:

Holy poo poo please tell me this is just a joke and isn't the actual twist in the game.

Just going through one of the missions, they just made a reference to a piece of eden from Assassin's Creed, and something about memories, you also search for code books in a base that is covered in Abstergo's symbol

Orv posted:

I have one about two hours in. V:v:V

Where did you find it? I haven't seen a SPAS12 anywhere yet.

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs
Game starts acting weird when servers are down

Can't wait to increase my strenght though!

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

octan3 posted:

Oh good, this is currently happening to me too. I was hoping it wasn't just me.

Also goddamn it Ubisoft I can't play your (quite good!) game till you fix your poo poo.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

octan3 posted:

Daedalus1134 posted:

Oh good, this is currently happening to me too. I was hoping it wasn't just me.

Also goddamn it Ubisoft I can't play your (quite good!) game till you fix your poo poo.

That's why we've been saying "put UPlay into offline mode." The game will eventually crash or just become unplayable when the UPlay servers go down.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

UberJumper posted:

Just going through one of the missions, they just made a reference to a piece of eden from Assassin's Creed, and something about memories, you also search for code books in a base that is covered in Abstergo's symbol
I just finished up one of those Lost Expeditions and yeah. Abstergo's symbol and a note about looking for Pieces Of Eden in a Prototype Lab.
Pretty sure Lost Expedition was Deluxe ed stuff right?

Also I just killed a Tasmanian Tiger :geno: This isn't helping your silly zoo theme.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Tehan posted:

I'd bet it's all the stuff on the first page of the handbook.

njark posted:

Plenty of players on PC.

The multiplayer tattoo editor is fun:

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs

Adraeus posted:

That's why we've been saying "put UPlay into offline mode." The game will eventually crash or just become unplayable when the UPlay servers go down.

Unplayable you say....

Although I couldn't move at all it was nice watching the day and night cycle happen pretty rapidly.

Good idea with putting UPlay in offline mode though, seems to put the game back working again.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Do the cash side missions like racing, shooting, knife throwing etc. count for unlocking stuff?

edit: what about loot chests and relics?

az fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 30, 2012

Orv
May 4, 2011

UberJumper posted:

Where did you find it? I haven't seen a SPAS12 anywhere yet.

I may be incorrect. I have what looks like a really terrible Russian knock-off of the SPAS. 1330 or whatever.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Unfortunately, I can't even play this game in offline mode. Also it seems like I can't even access my game now, beforehand I had to use a VPN to even be able to play it, but it's asking me for my code again now and says another account already has it in use.

What a shame, looks like I have to wait until tuesday to pick up where I left off.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 30, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Good. Good.

I won't be the only one who has to wait until Tuesday because Ubisoft is a bag of smashed dicks.

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Unfortunately, I can't even play this game in offline mode. Also it seems like I can't even access my game now, beforehand I had to use a VPN to even be able to play it, but it's asking me for my code again now and says another account already has it in use.

What a shame, looks like I have to wait until tuesday to pick up where I left off.

Have you tried this?

gibbed posted:

Instead of doing that, try running farcry3.exe or farcry3_DX11.exe with the arguments -uplay_steam_mode -language=English -steam_mode

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Radicalysmic posted:

Have you tried this?

Ah thanks.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
The power went out at my house in the middle of a mission, now my most recent save is from when I last started the game. I lost 20 saves and 5 hours of collectable hunting :negative:

Is there any way for me to mod my save so it has all of the collectables from the first island unlocked?

az
Dec 2, 2005

I wish someone could tell the devs that scopes don't work like that, glare everywhere and even the reticle is bleeding into the scope :argh:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That was a pretty good stream, Cardboard Box. Thanks.

Is it just me, or is this game looking exactly like what they were promising the new Tomb Raider game would be?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Hmmmm, been dicking around near the start of the game for quite a while, just shooting pirates, liberating camps, climbing towers and having fun. Then I decided to do the first non-tutorial mission and couldn't help but notice how stupid the main character is.

To start with, he is specifically told to go to the caves in the west to find the mushrooms, so the first thing he does is go north? He even makes a comment about how these caves aren't along the western cliffs. He doesn't even loving look along the western cliffs he just goes in the wrong loving direction. He then decides that an underwater cave must be the cave the doctor was talking about...dunno why the gently caress would you think that, the doctor dude would probably mention if he needed scuba gear to reach these loving mushrooms. Because of his lack of common sense, our protagonist then steps on some mushrooms that evidently release a psychedelic spore cloud that makes him trip balls for a number of hours, all while his friend slowly dies above him. When he recovers enough to make sense of his surroundings, he wanders along for a bit until he finds the mushrooms, which happen to be right next to the entrance to the caves along the loving western cliff face.

To sum up, our protagonist decides to ignore some directions, swim into a random underwater cave that could have nothing to do with anything, accidentally inhale toxic fungi spores that incapacitate him and make him stumble around a cave blind for who knows how many hours all while his friend dies. He does all this when he could have just followed directions and got the mushrooms in less than 5 minutes.

One mission in and I can't help but think the protagonist is a babbling retard.

e: That said I am having a shitload of fun.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

KongGeorgeVII posted:

One mission in and I can't help but think the protagonist is a babbling retard.

I think... I hope that's intentional.

• Locked thread