Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Now what you've gotta do is spawn "President" and see what they do.

EDIT: A God cannot hurt any holy people. Imam, Rabbis, priests, etc. are invulnerable to an Angry God's attacks.

An Atheist, however, will run terrified.
IIRC from Super Scribblenauts, Imams, Rabbis, and Priests are all invulnerable for reason that should be obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Well these ones sure weren't.

E: also you'd be surprised how many puzzles you can solve with dead babies.

Gendo fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 30, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

IIRC from Super Scribblenauts, Imams, Rabbis, and Priests are all invulnerable for reason that should be obvious.

I can kill them just fine. They just can't be harmed by other spiritual figures directly.

I played with Death a bit. He will attack anything that is alive, be it an object, person, creature, etc. He can also one-shot zombies, but he can't interact with ghosts, and when fighting a God of any sort he has to fight them the normal way. He loves scythes and ghost horses.

God this is such a cool game. I wish you could deconstruct and edit the existing objects though. Like see exactly what properties God has and stuff like that.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gendo posted:

Well these ones sure weren't.

E: also you'd be surprised how many puzzles you can solve with dead babies.

You are an awful, awful person. Why aren't you varying your puzzles with dead babies on fire?

Also it's interesting to see that thing on Scribblenauts Unlimited being delayed in PAL territories turned out to be incorrect - came out launch day in Australia without a hitch.

oddjobs
Dec 19, 2011
Been lurkin' for a good bit now, might as well make my first post on this momentous occasion!

Braved the snowy streets of Helsinki to pick up my order, luckily only 4-5 mouthbreathers before me in the queue. I've been really optimistic about this console because Nintendo so I thought surely the update times, WiFi issues etc. must just have been exaggeration?

Hell to the no.

I've now spent ~30 minutes setting up the system and am perhaps 20% through downloading the system update. Is there a way to mute the controller? The bleep-bloop sounds annoy me greatly.

Luckily I happen to have a day off from work and have a few cold Pilsner Urquells in the fridge to help me through this painful process.

:firstpost:

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
There's a volume slider on the top of the controller. :)

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

So I'm in Norway, and friend got the Wii U a day early. He got a mail from the place he got it that Nintendo is "logging" all consoles that connect to the internet before the launch and now he is freaking out since he connected his. I tried to tell him that it would be really stupid of Nintendo to punish any eager first adapters and it's probably just the seller covering their rear end, have you guys heard anything about this?

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You are an awful, awful person. Why aren't you varying your puzzles with dead babies on fire?

Also it's interesting to see that thing on Scribblenauts Unlimited being delayed in PAL territories turned out to be incorrect - came out launch day in Australia without a hitch.

It's still delayed in Europe.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snowcow posted:

It's still delayed in Europe.

Ah, my mistake. I thought it was an EU and AU thing.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah, my mistake. I thought it was an EU and AU thing.

Maybe they could push it out in AUNZ because they just need English. The EU would need the Big 5, at least and I imagine localising a game like that would be a nightmare.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Is it possible to disable your WiiU gamepad screen when playing NSMBU while still using it as a controller? I found myself looking at the gamepad more than my 'glorious HD 3D TV', which feels like a waste. Also saving some battery time on the controller would be nice if possible.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
AU/NZ releases on Nintendo platforms are kinda weird - they're always PAL-encoded, but sometimes they're based on the NA version and sometimes they're based on the EU version, and Nintendo Australia often self-publishes a whole bunch of weird third-party junk.

menchi
Jul 14, 2004

Sandweed posted:

So I'm in Norway, and friend got the Wii U a day early. He got a mail from the place he got it that Nintendo is "logging" all consoles that connect to the internet before the launch and now he is freaking out since he connected his. I tried to tell him that it would be really stupid of Nintendo to punish any eager first adapters and it's probably just the seller covering their rear end, have you guys heard anything about this?

I'm in the UK and I got mine 2 days early, wasn't even anything to connect to when I received it but yesterday all the updates and online functionality was up a day early (I'm guessing so that display models worked properly for the launch). Still working fine on launch day and no emails or account problems :)

Monode
Feb 19, 2011

oo
Got my WiiU this morning :)

I figured there wouldn't be many people there to get one but I was literally the only person in the store, and the first to pick one up. This was at about 9:30. Can't help but feel Nintendo have done a bad job in marketing this thing.

Currently waiting for the update now... only about 10% done. Ho hum.

Monode fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 30, 2012

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Kiwillian posted:

Anyone in AU/NZ get one today? Curious as to how the network is holding up for the big initial patch.

Three hours and it's about 20% done if the progress bar is accurate. This is after an hour dicking with wireless. Also, you cannot just let it download. You need to be constantly checking since it will disconnect on you and you need to manually restart the download.

I'm dreading seeing the "this game needs an update" thing when I finally get to fire up ZombiU.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mailer posted:

Three hours and it's about 20% done if the progress bar is accurate. This is after an hour dicking with wireless. Also, you cannot just let it download. You need to be constantly checking since it will disconnect on you and you need to manually restart the download.

I'm dreading seeing the "this game needs an update" thing when I finally get to fire up ZombiU.

I didn't have any disconnection or speed issues. Though that said, I was using a LAN adapter and it sounds like may well become a must-buy purchase in general for the WiiU.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Is it possible to disable your WiiU gamepad screen when playing NSMBU while still using it as a controller? I found myself looking at the gamepad more than my 'glorious HD 3D TV', which feels like a waste. Also saving some battery time on the controller would be nice if possible.

This.

I agree completely. I understand why the Gamepad f unctions as it does, but I want to play on my 54" HD TV. Not a small screen. I wish there was a way to turn it off when not needed.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
First impressions, Gamepad is huge but incredibly comfortable. It's still downloading the update, but just messing around with it, the buttons are positioned nicely, the sticks feel great.

After holding it in my hands, I can see why they went with digital triggers, I think Analog would have felt weird on the pad, whether this comes back to haunt them is a different question.

Unless they are only going for the arcade racer games, it will work, but for any kind of sim it will make it hard to play unless they utilise the right stick as gas/brake setup. (which I personally don't like)

However, its a very nice piece of kit, screen is quite responsive not being a capacitive screen. Overall pretty impressed with it and I haven't even booted a game.

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems

Vertigo posted:

This.

I agree completely. I understand why the Gamepad f unctions as it does, but I want to play on my 54" HD TV. Not a small screen. I wish there was a way to turn it off when not needed.

The closest thing to what you guys want is switching to a standard wii remote and setting the gamepad down. When not the primary controller, the gamepad will just display a zoomed-out map screen.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Is Mario U fluid with the multiplayer element - e.g. can I start a game on my own, play a few levels, then have my wife join in when she wants, then bow out again etc.?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Is Mario U fluid with the multiplayer element - e.g. can I start a game on my own, play a few levels, then have my wife join in when she wants, then bow out again etc.?

Yes. You can add more players through the pause menu (+ button).

Original Gamer
Sep 13, 2002

Puddin posted:

First impressions, Gamepad is huge but incredibly comfortable. It's still downloading the update, but just messing around with it, the buttons are positioned nicely, the sticks feel great.

After holding it in my hands, I can see why they went with digital triggers, I think Analog would have felt weird on the pad, whether this comes back to haunt them is a different question.

Unless they are only going for the arcade racer games, it will work, but for any kind of sim it will make it hard to play unless they utilise the right stick as gas/brake setup. (which I personally don't like)

However, its a very nice piece of kit, screen is quite responsive not being a capacitive screen. Overall pretty impressed with it and I haven't even booted a game.

I have large hands, and something felt off about holding the gamepad, especially when using the triggers as opposed to an Xbox or PS3 controller. It was like the ridges were straining my fingers when reaching for the bumpers. Then I figured out if I hold it where my index fingers are on the bumpers and middle fingers on the triggers, it's like the most comfortable controller. After that it was just getting use to gaming with 6 fingers instead of 4.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Finally got the Wii U. Nice to find out that the TV Controls work on my SD TV. Now I just have to wait for the System Update to finish.

Monode
Feb 19, 2011

oo
So many updates on this thing. First update took about an hour, then had to wait another 20 minutes or so to get into NintendoLand. Currently waiting for ZombiU to finish updating before it then installs it. I know it's to be expected at launch with all the patches but it's a bit frustrating.

Games are great though once you get into them. Miiverse too.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Monode posted:

So many updates on this thing. First update took about an hour, then had to wait another 20 minutes or so to get into NintendoLand. Currently waiting for ZombiU to finish updating before it then installs it. I know it's to be expected at launch with all the patches but it's a bit frustrating.

Games are great though once you get into them. Miiverse too.

After updating I always got the option to start the game regardless of the update, which allowed me to download the update in the background while playing. I'm not sure if this was added during the big patch you install when you first connect to the internet or if it's in by default though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Downloading the update was slooooow, but updating is at least going decently fast. I'm at 63% and counting right now.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Monode posted:

I know it's to be expected at launch with all the patches but it's a bit frustrating.

I can honestly say I didn't expect, even knowing about the US launch, a five hour update. Now ZombiU needs to update. I'll play games on my new game console tomorrow probably.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm prepping to make sure that we can have some Wii U fun on Christmas morning. Is there a way to download the update now and feed it to the Wii U locally? Failing that, can I skip the update process and just play Nintendoland immediately?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

EC posted:

I'm prepping to make sure that we can have some Wii U fun on Christmas morning. Is there a way to download the update now and feed it to the Wii U locally? Failing that, can I skip the update process and just play Nintendoland immediately?

You can skip the update and it will download in the background.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

DoctorWhat posted:

You can skip the update and it will download in the background.

Nice! The family will only be here on Christmas day, so I want to make sure I can get it setup and play while they're here, and then I can do all the fun networking stuff later.

I've got two Wii-motes (motionplus), do I need anything else? Do any of the Nintendoland game require a nunchuck?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mailer posted:

I can honestly say I didn't expect, even knowing about the US launch, a five hour update. Now ZombiU needs to update. I'll play games on my new game console tomorrow probably.

It doesn't need to update. You should have the option to start software while it downloads the update in the background. It will do the install next time you start the game.

Metroid requires nunchucks.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

EC posted:

Nice! The family will only be here on Christmas day, so I want to make sure I can get it setup and play while they're here, and then I can do all the fun networking stuff later.

I've got two Wii-motes (motionplus), do I need anything else? Do any of the Nintendoland game require a nunchuck?

You'll need as many remotes as will be playing, unless you're playing as a GamePad user, in which case someone... can do that. HOWEVER, NSMBU requires a Wiimote for EACH player; you can't use the gamepad as it's own controller in multiplayer except for placing blocks.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

EC posted:

I would recommend that you actually pop in Nintendoland and play for a bit now, if you have the chance.

It makes you go through some tutorial stuff to start with, which cuts into your "have fun with other people" time. It didn't take too long, but my girlfriend and I decided to play and it took us a while to actually get to the playing part.

The tutorial is fine, though, and is probably stuff you'll want to know. The individual games allow you to hit the - button to see controls again, so people won't be totally lost when you want to play with them.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

That reminds me. My Wii U has Netflix on it. I guess it's because they recently set up shop in my country. Not bad.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

By the way update trip report, all done in under an hour.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Thanks for the advice y'all! :)

I'm excited about picking up some Wii games that I missed like Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy 1&2...and I guess that's it? I sold my Wii a few years ago after not playing it for a LONG time. Are there any big third party releases I might have missed? I played the early big hits (we loving loved Excite Truck for some reason). I have a 360 & PS3, so exclusive stuff only.

I know the whole joke about Nintendo and third parties, but I promise this is a snark-free question, I just want to pick up any Wii games I might have missed, and I know what Nintendo stuff I'll play.

Logic
Jan 8, 2009

EC posted:

I'm excited about picking up some Wii games that I missed like Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy 1&2...and I guess that's it? I sold my Wii a few years ago after not playing it for a LONG time. Are there any big third party releases I might have missed? I played the early big hits (we loving loved Excite Truck for some reason). I have a 360 & PS3, so exclusive stuff only.

I know the whole joke about Nintendo and third parties, but I promise this is a snark-free question, I just want to pick up any Wii games I might have missed, and I know what Nintendo stuff I'll play.

Fortune Street is a great game for up to 4 people. My friends and I have a blast with it. It's like Monopoly, but is a ton more fun with stocks and cutthroat buyouts.

Logic fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 30, 2012

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

EC posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles if you enjoy jrpgs.
Has Nintendo said anything about adding gamecube games to the VC? They'd be pretty dumb not to, since it's essentially free money.

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

I just had a mild heart attack when after the system update my WiiU turned itself off instead of restarting. After turning it back on it showed its logo for a few seconds and powered down again. The next try didn't show better results.

Turns out it didn't like the micro SD card adapter i had inserted before the system update any longer. After removing it the console booted just fine. :unsmith:

On with the updates now. I know i could play already but i kind of like staring at progress bars. Working as IT admin for years damaged me in that way.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

EC posted:

Little King's Story is probably my favorite game on the Wii. It plays a lot like pikmin, but with a lot more depth.

• Locked thread