Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Black Frost is what you need to be working towards.

Get Black Frost now. Black Frost loving owns bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Does fire boost stack with Fire amp? Googling it gives me mixed answers.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Regence posted:

They stack.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Regence posted:

Two boosts will stack. Anything more will just take the two biggest ones. So don't go equipping something that boosts fire or something.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I got a "upgrades persona skill to the next level" card, and it turned one of my skills into Blade of Fury, which does 2x to 4x medium physical damage. Which works out to about max 600 points of damage to all foes.

I got this on level 20.

Needless to say the game is just a way bit too easy now.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 30, 2012

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh yeah, I know how great Black Frost is. Ripped up lots of the original P4 with him. Looking to do that again this time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
This is from an mechanics guide for the PS2 version; presumably, this stuff wasn't changed for Golden:

quote:

7b. Stackable effects

There are certain effects provided by passive skills or accessories that are
stackable according to the following rules, with (+) denoting a stackable
combination and (-) a non-stackable one:

1. Elemental (Fire/Ice/Elec/Wind) effects DO stack. However, the stacking is
limited to a total of TWO skills or accessories, and skills take precedence
over accessories.
Examples:
(+) Fire Boost and Fire Amp
(+) Fire Boost and Fire Vow
(+) Fire Amp and Kagutsuchi Vow (Amp and +50% accessory is the largest
effect you can have)
(+/-) Fire Boost, Fire Amp, and Kagutsuchi Vow results in only Fire Boost
and Fire Amp stacking

2. Resist effects from affinities, skills, equipment, and spells stack:
(+) Ukobach (innate Resist Fire) + Resist Fire (learned at Level 6) +
Kagutsuchi Pin (Fire damage down 50%) + Red Wall all stack

3. Barring Rules 1 and 2, a passive skill and an accessory providing the same
effect NEVER stack.
Examples:
(-) Apt Pupil and Omega Drive (quadruples critical hit chance? I wish)
(-) Angelic Grace and Cat Whisker
(-) Endure and Partial Award

4. Barring Rule 3, HP and SP regenerative effects DO stack and take effect in
succession.
Examples:
(+) Regenerate 1, Regenerate 2, Regenerate 3
(+) Regenerate 1, Regenerate 2, Space Badge
(+) Invigorate 1, Invigorate 2, Invigorate 3
(+) Mage's Mark, Invigorate 2, Invigorate 3

5. All other multi-tiered effects do NOT stack. The highest-tiered effect takes
precedence.
Examples:
(-) Growth 1, Growth 2, Growth 3 (only Growth 3 takes effect)
(-) Counter, Counterstrike, High Counter (only High Counter takes effect)

6. Ailment Boost and the Boost skills of individual ailments do NOT stack.
Ailment Boost takes precedence.

7. Other combinations that either do or do not stack:
(+) EXP-boosting weapon and EXP-boosting armor (i.e. Musashi Shinai and
Haikara Shirt/Mandara Robe)
(+) Cool Breeze and Relaxing Wave
(+) Apt Pupil/Omega Drive and Revolution (thanks Nasada19)
(-) Evasion skills/equipment granting evasion skills and an affinity that
is better than Resist (i.e. Null/Repel/Absorb). In other words, for
example, if you have Null/Repel/Absorb Physical, you will never dodge
physical attacks (meaning enemies will never miss and fall down). This
is because the game assumes a general mechanic that prefers the
automatic nullification of the attack. This may be something to think
about if you really like letting enemies miss and fall down; in that
case, something like Tam Lin's innate Resist Physical combined with the
Evade Physical he learns might be more up your alley.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Two boosts will stack. Anything more will just take the two biggest ones. So don't go equipping something that boosts fire or something.

That sucks. I'd love to spew out Agidyne dealing +95% damage from fire vow/boost/amp but I can understand exactly why they don't allow it. Seriously, +70% damage and mind charge is enough. I'm nuking trashmobs and golden hands for something stupid like 500-900 damage already

kethryveris
Aug 18, 2006

Wait! I wasn't yelling at you.
I was yelling at the duck.
Huh. The new cutscenes actually change depending on if you've got a Romance link with a party member or not.

August spoilers:
I maxed Yukiko early (July), so she called and asked if I wanted to go to the festival the day after the whole group went. Then the firework event at the end of August happened and Yosuke was whining about Teddie cockblocking him at the festival. I got a choice about saying "Yeah, it was different" or "It's easier with guys" and I picked the first one. Yosuke was all "Wait, you went again with someone?" My MC looked at Yukiko and she got flustered, and then he got flustered, and everyone kept looking between the two of them. It was adorable. :3:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

You don't have to have a maxed/romance link to get that scene, I got it with Rise and her link was nowhere near the point where I could romance her. Still a very nice scene, though. :3:

Count Clockwork
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah I got it with Chie. I wish someone would put up the videos of the others so I don't have to do a another playthrough just to see them all.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

And at 75 hours-ish, I am done with my first playthrough.

Epilogue spoilers: WHAT THE gently caress ARE KANJI AND NAOTO WEARING? Other than that, awesome.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

kethryveris posted:

Huh. The new cutscenes actually change depending on if you've got a Romance link with a party member or not.

August spoilers:
I maxed Yukiko early (July), so she called and asked if I wanted to go to the festival the day after the whole group went. Then the firework event at the end of August happened and Yosuke was whining about Teddie cockblocking him at the festival. I got a choice about saying "Yeah, it was different" or "It's easier with guys" and I picked the first one. Yosuke was all "Wait, you went again with someone?" My MC looked at Yukiko and she got flustered, and then he got flustered, and everyone kept looking between the two of them. It was adorable. :3:

Awwww man, I got Chie's festival event but I didn't realize picking the first one would trigger that. Chie's festival event is adorable tho, especially if you wish for you two to get closer.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I never knew those stacking rules, thanks. Explains why Oni with resist physical took like, no damage from attacks.

I guess this also means you can overwrite elemental boosts on allies if you want to get them the elemental vows.

Is Invigorate stacking worth it? Naoto learns all 3 ranks so maybe rank 2+3 and the MP cost reducing accessory would make Megido actually worth it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Haha wow, has it just been too long for me since I heard it, or is the Shiroku Pub music a remix of the main Persona 2 ditty/it is specifically reminding me of the version from Shiraishi Ramen in particular?

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
So wait, can I date Eri Minami? Because screw these high school girls. Yu wants him a real woman.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hanging out with friends on Sundays and summerdays is the same as hanging out with them on schooldays, right? It advances the social link?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Duesenjaeger posted:

So wait, can I date Eri Minami? Because screw these high school girls. Yu wants him a real woman.

Sadly not. But I totally would.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Speedball posted:

Hanging out with friends on Sundays and summerdays is the same as hanging out with them on schooldays, right? It advances the social link?

Yes, unless you hang out with them after they ask you to on the phone. That said, hanging out with your friends after they call you lead to unique events happening, so go anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Speedball posted:

That's correct, yes.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Seriously, Nanako is so drat adorable that it should be illegal.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Was the Band event in the original PS2 release? I haven't played the game in forever it almost feels new to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Larsson posted:

Seriously, Nanako is so drat adorable that it should be illegal.

If the voice actor's unchanged from the original P4, the same VA's also responsible for (P3 spoiler) that incredibly sad little monologue from Aigis at the end of Persona 3 when the MC's resting his head on her lap.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Lord Ephraim posted:

Was the Band event in the original PS2 release? I haven't played the game in forever it almost feels new to me.

No, it's one of the new events.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I feel that I should probably restart my game considering I've just beaten Shadow Chie and noticed that I haven't been improving Expression and I know how important it is to max that early.

That said, does anyone have an optimal method to raise poo poo for the first month?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Count Bleck posted:

I feel that I should probably restart my game considering I've just beaten Shadow Chie and noticed that I haven't been improving Expression and I know how important it is to max that early.

That said, does anyone have an optimal method to raise poo poo for the first month?

I think one of the early books you can buy from the bookstore improves Expression (the second one you can get, maybe?). I know the Translation job does and it's one of the first available.

Aside from that, the Drama Club's a good way to do it once it becomes available.

(I know some of these are later than the first month, but they're still the best way to raise it early on)

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Count Bleck posted:

It's not critical to be locked into an optimal path for the first month because there's still a lot of time to adjust things at that point and still grab most of the links.

If you want to get some expression early your options are really only giving your classmates the right answer when teachers ask them things and going to the Sun link early on. Doing both of those should get you to level 2 expression (or almost there) by the time translating becomes available as a night job. Even once it does, don't bother doing any until you also have the book which increases expression boosts when translating and have read it.

Once that's done you can start splitting your time between studying and translating at night. I think there are separate hurdles requiring level 2, 4, and 5 expression for Justice and Hierophant but it can take a little while to hit those so just work on the links until you can't and then do more expression building until you can.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I just got around to reading the last 400 pages of the thread, and I'm glad I did. Now I know that I should only romance one of the girls- but how the heck do I decide who?! :ohdear: For me, it's between Yumi, Naoto, Rise, and Marie. In vanilla P4, I chose Yumi and Rise. This is a really tough choice- I want to see all of the adorable flavor text, but I don't want to feel like an rear end in a top hat on Valentine's! :gonk:

Besides that, I'm having a blast with the game so far. I'm somewhere between 45 and 50 hours and just beat the Void Quest dungeon last night. The music for the boss battle there- holy poo poo, it was brilliant. I'm just smashing through dungeons and my team's average level is over 50 now. I just can't stop collecting personas and fusing them, or doing quests, or searching for chests. This game is pure crack.

Seriously, after playing P4:Arena and this revamped version of P4, I cannot wait to see what Atlus has in store for Persona 5. Golden has seriously been the feel-good game of the decade. It's hard to shut the game off when I constantly think to myself, "just one more day..."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bolverkur posted:

gently caress, I know I should be used to it from P3P, but I am so loving mad that I automatically game over when the protagonist dies. loving hell, that is infuriating. You take care, play defensive, and then one crit takes you out at near full-health. Otherwise loving this game. Can't believe that the P3P interface didn't bother me, that is, playing as a cursor. I haven't completed it and after experiencing this it will be tough to go back.

Seriously. It made SOME sense that they added it into P3 since the concept of that game was that you were controlling the main character and the party members were their own people (who apparently didn't know how to use resurrection items without being told) but now that they have scrapped that and just let you manually input everyone's commands it's just irritating. It also makes Personas with light/dark weaknesses a super liability.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wait, is there any reason to not have more than one girlfriend besides that Valentine's Day thing? Because that doesn't even seem all that bad.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

I had my expression maxed by July and I did it by translating and hanging out with the cat outside the Dojima house. I've barely read any books (who has time?!), but the cat can raise both Expression and Understanding, though not every time. Going to Drama or Band helps a lot too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Grimace posted:

Seriously, after playing P4:Arena and this revamped version of P4, I cannot wait to see what Atlus has in store for Persona 5. Golden has seriously been the feel-good game of the decade. It's hard to shut the game off when I constantly think to myself, "just one more day..."

This game is so good, makes me want to actually go finish the P4Arena story mode. I got annoyed that the whole thing was ultimately about a completely new side character related to a P3 character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I really hope Persona 5 comes up with a battle system that's not awful.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wait, is there any reason to not have more than one girlfriend besides that Valentine's Day thing? Because that doesn't even seem all that bad.

Why the hell does it even matter? Do people seriously feel like they need all of the anime babes? There's no way you like more than half of the girls enough to realistically give a poo poo.

Aphrodite posted:

I hope Persona 5 gets rid of the dating sim, I really do.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Uh, I'm sorry for asking? No, I guess I don't care about half the girls. I skip through most of their s link dialog. But I've already have some as girflriends because that's just the choice I default to. I was wondering if there were any new drawbacks and if I should stop it. That's all.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Earlier in the thread, in regards to what happens if you go with the big pimpin' route:

Cannot Find Server posted:

It does a really good job of making you feel like a shithead. Like, it's some of the best (worst?) "you are a scumbag" writing I've ever seen in a game.

So yeah. That's new to Golden.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Aphrodite posted:

Really? I always thought that Persona 4's battle system was a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the systems in place in other turn-based JRPGs. Granted I don't play that many JRPGs because they're usually terrible and lovely, but compared to the few I have played, this one is the only one I actually enjoyed.

Well, except the MC getting Mudo'd at the very end of the 5th dungeon after grinding for an hour and a half on the PS2 version. That wasn't so enjoyable.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Aphrodite posted:

So all they have to do is keep the same battle system as 3 and 4?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

First it would have to be a "dating sim" in the first place.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 30, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think with the changes made in Golden, the persona and battle system is pretty great now. Granted the only other SMT series besides Persona I've played is DDS, so I might be missing something better. I hope those changes stick and make it to 5, though I guess there's no reason they shouldn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Aphrodite posted:

Sex_Ferguson posted:

You both have terrible opinions.

• Locked thread