Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Uh, I'm sorry for asking? No, I guess I don't care about half the girls. I skip through most of their s link dialog. But I've already have some as girflriends because that's just the choice I default to. I was wondering if there were any new drawbacks and if I should stop it. That's all.

Yes. Occasionally one girl will show up when you're with another girl on a date and gently caress that slink advance for that day. It's really rare though and you'll probably not even see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Saint Freak posted:

Yes. Occasionally one girl will show up when you're with another girl on a date and gently caress that slink advance for that day. It's really rare though and you'll probably not even see it.

If you are caught with the moon arcana bitch on a date with her, her slink actually reverses a level IIRC.

The easy solution, of course, is not to date her. She sucks anyway.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I didn't know they had reverses in 4, I thought that was only a 3 thing. Good to know.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ai is the best Non-Doujima Family Social Link. :colbert:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Ai just said the the MC looked good during the beauty pageant, and that we'd totally get hit on if we went shopping together. She just won my vote :3:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I really hope Persona 5 comes up with a battle system that's not awful.

They made a game for this and it's called every other SMT series

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cannot Find Server posted:

Really? I always thought that Persona 4's battle system was a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the systems in place in other turn-based JRPGs. Granted I don't play that many JRPGs because they're usually terrible and lovely, but compared to the few I have played, this one is the only one I actually enjoyed.

The system itself isn't the problem, it's a few of the details. The high miss rates, annoying status effects and trial and error gameplay are all irritating.

They all disappear as you get deeper in the game, they just serve to make the early dungeons annoying.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, uh, I'm about 27hrs in and I'm at the Void Quest dungeon. I haven't beaten it, but I just got to level 38 so I could fuse Black Frost. Am I going too quickly? I'm playing on Easy because this is the first Persona game I've played...

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Fisher King posted:

So, uh, I'm about 27hrs in and I'm at the Void Quest dungeon. I haven't beaten it, but I just got to level 38 so I could fuse Black Frost. Am I going too quickly? I'm playing on Easy because this is the first Persona game I've played...

Going too quickly in terms of what? If you mean level, then Black Frost is about right for that dungeon, unless they drastically changed things since the original P4.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Nope, that's about right- definitely fuse Black Frost, because he just destroys everything for a long while after that. For reference, I'm playing on Hard, just hit 32 hours at the exact same spot, and I'm level 36, so you're pretty spot-on.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I got a question now that I've gotten into December; no real plot stuff, just mechanics, although I'll spoiler to be safe anyway.

Does the game skip ahead to Dec. 25 once you clear the dungeon like on the PS2, or do you get all the free time even if you finish things up as fast as possible on Vita?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Meiteron posted:

I got a question now that I've gotten into December; no real plot stuff, just mechanics, although I'll spoiler to be safe anyway.

Does the game skip ahead to Dec. 25 once you clear the dungeon like on the PS2, or do you get all the free time even if you finish things up as fast as possible on Vita?

Yes, it skips ahead, but then after New Years you get almost a whole month of free time.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I have a question about Fox's 10th request, spoilers just in case. The request is still to catch the guardian, but showing the old man a huge fish like in the original doesn't seem to trigger anything. I guess you still need the angler set to catch the guardian, how do you get it?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

I have a question about Fox's 10th request, spoilers just in case. The request is still to catch the guardian, but showing the old man a huge fish like in the original doesn't seem to trigger anything. I guess you still need the angler set to catch the guardian, how do you get it?

He wants the Sea Guardian now, so the trigger isn't the Huge Fish anymore but the River Guardian. Once you've unlocked the ocean on the bike, try to fish there. Then talk to the old man about ocean fishing to trigger Inaba Jewel Beetles being available at the shrine, use those to grab a river guardian, show that to him in order to get the ocean fishing rod. Talk to him again to let Genji Beetles show up at the shrine (3 can also be bought earlier from the shopping program), head down to the ocean, and use them to fish up the Sea Guardian.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Aphrodite posted:

The system itself isn't the problem, it's a few of the details. The high miss rates, annoying status effects and trial and error gameplay are all irritating.

High miss rate? Look, just because it's possible to miss doesn't mean that the game has one that's too high.

Enemies miss more often then you.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
And the end game is just as depressing this many years later. :negative:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Meiteron posted:

He wants the Sea Guardian now, so the trigger isn't the Huge Fish anymore but the River Guardian. Once you've unlocked the ocean on the bike, try to fish there. Then talk to the old man about ocean fishing to trigger Inaba Jewel Beetles being available at the shrine, use those to grab a river guardian, show that to him in order to get the ocean fishing rod. Talk to him again to let Genji Beetles show up at the shrine (3 can also be bought earlier from the shopping program), head down to the ocean, and use them to fish up the Sea Guardian.

It's like they said "Man, the last fox quest sure is obnoxious. How do we make it worse?"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It's like they said "Man, the last fox quest sure is obnoxious. How do we make it worse?"

I don't feel bad about missing getting the fishing pole and net now. gently caress that poo poo.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I am getting really sick of un-skippable poetry every time I enter the Velvet Room. It peaked with the clown rap and then has taken it about 7 steps too far.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Daily reminder that Kanji loving owns.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Loving all of the new animations and scenes. The beach was pretty drat amazing. My god, Kanji. KANJI. :psyduck:

Saint Freak posted:

I am getting really sick of un-skippable poetry every time I enter the Velvet Room. It peaked with the clown rap and then has taken it about 7 steps too far.

You just don't get things, man. You don't get stuff.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

The Grimace posted:

You just don't get things, man. You don't get stuff.

Sign me up for the "don't give a gently caress about poetry" bandwagon. Marie is a complete waste of a character--she's literally two cliches slapped together with superglue and a short skirt. If there isn't some kind of amazing pay off for this bullshit, I'm going to be sore disappointed.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

RentCavalier posted:

Sign me up for the "don't give a gently caress about poetry" bandwagon. Marie is a complete waste of a character--she's literally two cliches slapped together with superglue and a short skirt. If there isn't some kind of amazing pay off for this bullshit, I'm going to be sore disappointed.

Her poetry makes me dread going to the velvet room. Especially because it's unskippable.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Aww, I like her. Well, atleast she's not Nozomi.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Swagger Dagger posted:

Her poetry makes me dread going to the velvet room. Especially because it's unskippable.

Just tap X, you'll scroll right through it. It only takes a few seconds. I actually listen to each one because I figure they may be ~significant~ later on.

I didn't mind the one about her being a corpse. I just think it's an annoying gimmick, because the worst kind of poetry is the kind of poetry that is created by a person setting out TO create poetry. It's just sort of blah--neither poignant nor funny.

But maybe it'll get better as the game goes on, who knows?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I don't think she's that bad. I thought she'd be worse, to be honest.

I'm not that far into her social link though, so I could be wrong.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, Marie seems pretty odd so far. The poetry stuff sucks, but her social link so far (just hit three) is really funny.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

McDragon posted:

Yeah, Marie seems pretty odd so far. The poetry stuff sucks, but her social link so far (just hit three) is really funny.

Her really stupid talkreallyfastandsaystupidshit every ten loving seconds is driving me bonkers. I irritates me to no end. That poo poo only even remotely works if you actually hear it being said, reading it in text is just dumb and irritating to the eyes.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Meiteron posted:

Ok, so does weather have any effect on catching the sea guardian? I noticed once when it was raining in town it's clear in Okina City/ocean.

Also I like Marie. Her S Link reminds me of Elizabeth's from 3, which I also enjoyed.

EDIT: Nevermind, I caught it. And WOW, it is HUGE! This might all sound like a lot of steps, but I found this all to be much easier then Fox's original 10 quest actually.

Heroic Yoshimitsu fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 1, 2012

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I hope Persona 5 gets rid of the dating sim, I really do.

Why would you want the Social Links to go away? :confused:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I hope Persona 5 gets rid of the dating sim, I really do.

It wouldn't be a persona game without the S.links. Imagine DayZ without multiplayer.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

HiveCommander posted:

It wouldn't be a persona game without the S.links. Imagine DayZ without multiplayer.

Guess the first 2 games don't exist. :v: But seriously, I enjoy the S. Link system because a lot of mini stories they tell are pretty good.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Honestly I really would prefer a return to the way 2 did it, but I have some pretty regressive tastes. But I liked the way they sprinkled it everywhere and you had to do some digging to get people's stories.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Ok, so does weather have any effect on catching the sea guardian? I noticed once when it was raining in town it's clear in Okina City/ocean.

Also I like Marie. Her S Link reminds me of Elizabeth's from 3, which I also enjoyed.

EDIT: Nevermind, I caught it. And WOW, it is HUGE! This might all sound like a lot of steps, but I found this all to be much easier then Fox's original 10 quest actually.

Yeah, I may have overstated the whole thing. There ARE a lot of fiddly bits you have to cover but it's no worse than running around town talking to people at the start of an investigation and none of it is particularly obtuse. When it comes down to actual time spent it can be as short as fishing in the river for one night and fishing in the ocean for one day, which is pretty trivial. On top of that fishing is a hell of a lot better in P4G compared to vanilla; fish are easier to identify and the minigame is easier on your circle button.

Dunno about the actual weather requirements though, I picked a day when it was raining and I had nothing else to work on for the ocean bit, dutto for the river. If it's like the ps2 even cloudy weather should work fine.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

The Fisher King posted:

Nah, I'd say you're going at a reasonable rate. If it makes you feel any better, I have 41 hours in, have my party up to level 50, and still haven't even activated that dungeon yet. I really need to move on, I can't stop grinding. Help. : (

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

RentCavalier posted:

I didn't mind the one about her being a corpse. I just think it's an annoying gimmick, because the worst kind of poetry is the kind of poetry that is created by a person setting out TO create poetry. It's just sort of blah--neither poignant nor funny.

I'm pretty sure the joke is that she's not very good at poetry.

I like it, at least. v:v:v

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Finally got to playing this, and the updated textures are really nice! The intro is still as long as ever though.

Also, Chie's new voice is really weirding me out right now. It's not bad.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Nondevor posted:

Finally got to playing this, and the updated textures are really nice! The intro is still as long as ever though.

Also, Chie's new voice is really weirding me out right now. It's not bad.

You'll get used to the new voice, and may come to even prefer it, like I did.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm pretty sure the joke is that she's not very good at poetry.

I like it, at least. v:v:v

Yeah, I figured that was the point. She's kind of an rear end in a top hat on the outside, but still writes bad poetry on the inside just like every angsty teenage girl. I think it's kinda cute.

I want to see her write a meat poem.

"Beefsteak. That's too long a word.

Then what should we call it?

Fsteak.

Fskewers.

That's better."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nessa posted:

Fsteak.

I told her that steak was short for steaaaaaaaaak. It was totally worth it, because later on she is talking to you with voiced lines and says 'I remember when we ate the steaaaaaaaaak'. It was glorious :allears:

• Locked thread