Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
Chie's new voice sounds like someone who snorts when she laughs.

I don't mean that negatively, either. It fits her personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Couldn't finish the game. The game is as good as a Persona game could be but after playing and enjoying 3 I felt there wasn't a whole new to offer the experience. That and it just dragged on.

However, I understand I am in the minority. The scores speak for themselves and if this is someone playing persona for the first time they are in for an incredible experience.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Heh, I just noticed something. In shuffle time, the 'lovers' card makes you lose all items from the battle. Would be funnier if it was a 'no money' card but still, well played, Atlus!

Edit: also about that Monkey mage that Igor derp'd into a starfish... 2 Skill Ups later and it now had Null Physical and Megidolaon. I am very much OK with that gently caress-up of his

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 1, 2012

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008
You know what I loved about this game? All the stuff and choices you can make throughout the game.

You know what I hated about this game? All the stuff and choices you can make throughout the game :(

I got to the last dungeon on PS2 and got tired of reading a guide while playing the game because I'm a bitch and wanted to max all my s. Links on my first play through.

I'm pretty sure that's not how you're supposed to play it :sigh: I hate missing opportunities. I want to buy it for the vita but so conflicted! Anyone who hasn't played it should buy it!

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

ObesePriest posted:

You know what I loved about this game? All the stuff and choices you can make throughout the game.

You know what I hated about this game? All the stuff and choices you can make throughout the game :(

I got to the last dungeon on PS2 and got tired of reading a guide while playing the game because I'm a bitch and wanted to max all my s. Links on my first play through.

I'm pretty sure that's not how you're supposed to play it :sigh: I hate missing opportunities. I want to buy it for the vita but so conflicted! Anyone who hasn't played it should buy it!

The game is more fun if you don't max everything. And the Vita version makes a lot of the old tricks to min/maxing harder to do anyway, so don't bother!

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008

RentCavalier posted:

The game is more fun if you don't max everything. And the Vita version makes a lot of the old tricks to min/maxing harder to do anyway, so don't bother!

Hmmm, that's refreshing to hear in an odd way. I'm seriously considering buying it, but I have all these other vita games that I've bearly started because the whole playstation plus vita free games. I will think on this.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

ObesePriest posted:

Hmmm, that's refreshing to hear in an odd way. I'm seriously considering buying it, but I have all these other vita games that I've bearly started because the whole playstation plus vita free games. I will think on this.

Persona 4 is considered one of the finest RPGs to come out in recent years, and certainly the best JRPG. The Vita version is packed full of even more content, character and choices. It's such a thoroughly realized game that to not get it would honestly be a crime. There's pretty much nothing better on the Vita right now besides Gravity Rush, and Gravity Rush you can beat in a weekend. A long weekend, perhaps, but a weekend.

Persona 4 will last you a long while.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
Trying to max S. Links in the first play-through of P3 or P4 is literally the worst. All you're going to do is stress yourself out and possibly end up hating the game. Just do it normally and pick whatever you want, THEN if you want, use a guide to get 100% the 2nd time.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Rueish posted:

Trying to max S. Links in the first play-through of P3 or P4 is literally the worst. All you're going to do is stress yourself out and possibly end up hating the game. Just do it normally and pick whatever you want, THEN if you want, use a guide to get 100% the 2nd time.

Yeah. If you really care about min/maxxing for the battles, just neglect non-party member slinks like Sun and Moon. Honestly, the game's really easy either way on normal, even the harder bosses are a cakewalk compared to the tough ones in P3.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
I'm about halfway through the first dungeon now. Two things:

Number one, the Rescue Request system is the most wonderfully :3: thing to ever be put in a game. I haven't gotten more than two at a time yet, but I smack those requests whenever they pop up and I can't help but grin when I see that 'you are not alone' message. (My message is 'Sweetdiculous Steak-kun Delivered to Chie!')

And number two... I don't *hate* Chie's new voice as much as I thought I would, and I'm giving her some slack since she didn't read through with the rest of the cast, but still... she's trying too hard. In those rare moments when Chie's geniunely subdued, like after getting her Persona, the voice is really good. Most of the time, though, she sounds like a Disgaea character, way too forced. Teddie's pretty good, but ironically he's a bit *too* subdued sometimes. Mostly I don't even notice the difference, though.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

LaserShark posted:

And number two... I don't *hate* Chie's new voice as much as I thought I would, and I'm giving her some slack since she didn't read through with the rest of the cast, but still... she's trying too hard. In those rare moments when Chie's geniunely subdued, like after getting her Persona, the voice is really good. Most of the time, though, she sounds like a Disgaea character, way too forced. Teddie's pretty good, but ironically he's a bit *too* subdued sometimes. Mostly I don't even notice the difference, though.

I can't help but disagree with all your points. Chie's new VA is simply superb for the role, and nails the lines--her enthusiasm and loudness just fit the character better. Teddie's voice is 98% similar to his predecessor, but for the most part, the times where he's more subdued just sound better than the original.

Unrelated to VA chat...

What the gently caress is up with the boss Shadow Teddie? He seems to hit a lot harder in this version, and when he does his charge attack, despite two rounds of battery, I couldn't cancel it. Have they changed something about this fight? Is there a new strategy I have to dopt akin to the first one?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RentCavalier posted:

I can't help but disagree with all your points. Chie's new VA is simply superb for the role, and nails the lines--her enthusiasm and loudness just fit the character better. Teddie's voice is 98% similar to his predecessor, but for the most part, the times where he's more subdued just sound better than the original.

Unrelated to VA chat...

What the gently caress is up with the boss Shadow Teddie? He seems to hit a lot harder in this version, and when he does his charge attack, despite two rounds of battery, I couldn't cancel it. Have they changed something about this fight? Is there a new strategy I have to dopt akin to the first one?

You could cancel it? :psyduck:

If you set everyone to guard on the turn it hits, you shouldn't take any damage whatsoever.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
If you hit him hard enough, you could cancel the charge, but guarding is safer.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I always guard that move, I didn't even know you could cancel it.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

RentCavalier posted:

You're just not hitting hard enough. I think you gotta do at least a thousand to cancel it.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

RadicalR posted:

You're just not hitting hard enough. I think you gotta do at least a thousand to cancel it.

Oh, well, that won't be happening then. Hard Mode and all that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rueish posted:

I wonder if you'd even need a guide. The biggest hurdle to getting all the Social Links is your 5 social stats. You'll have them maxed or near maxed on a second play through.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr Pepper posted:

I wonder if you'd even need a guide. The biggest hurdle to getting all the Social Links is your 5 social stats. You'll have them maxed or near maxed on a second play through.

In vanilla P4, even with max social stats, I barely maxed it at, like, late December. There's definitely some planning involved, mostly who is available when and periods like summer break where a few links are unavailable.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

In vanilla P4, even with max social stats, I barely maxed it at, like, late December. There's definitely some planning involved, mostly who is available when and periods like summer break where a few links are unavailable.

I think it might actually be easier in this if you don't have to worry about stats, due to being able to talk to people at night and get the bump to the slink.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
How do you use the Rescue Request thing? I'm about to fight Shadow Chie, and I haven't seen anything like that showing up.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Nondevor posted:

How do you use the Rescue Request thing? I'm about to fight Shadow Chie, and I haven't seen anything like that showing up.

It starts the next time you go into the TV.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

RentCavalier posted:

I agree with LaserShark. I find her voice to be way too shrill and annoying whenever she yells, and she yells an awful lot, especially in the beginning.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Nessa posted:

I agree with LaserShark. I find her voice to be way too shrill and annoying whenever she yells, and she yells an awful lot, especially in the beginning.

I'm pretty disappointed with her VA as well. I went into it with an open mind and really tried to like her. She tries way too hard, is too forced and entirely too whiney. I don't think the voice fits the character. Oh well. This game is fantastic anyway!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
On my second playthrough of vanilla P4, I was able to max out every link very easily. I'm pretty sure I finished mid-November. I was also a little bit more anal about scheduling though... like saving Sun and Hermit for rainy days, and doing only Temperance on Fridays at first. It becomes apparent quite quickly when you look at the schedule that there's simply no point in doing certain Links on different days. Dungeons were of course no problem since Lucifer's Victory Cry and Yoshitsune made just about every fight trivial and thus they could be finished in one day.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

CaptainPoopsock posted:

I'm pretty disappointed with her VA as well. I went into it with an open mind and really tried to like her. She tries way too hard, is too forced and entirely too whiney. I don't think the voice fits the character. Oh well. This game is fantastic anyway!

I dunno, I had exactly the same reaction when I started up P4G with regards to her VA (it's even earlier in the thread!) but near the end now I think a lot of that was just, for me, because I had her old VA in my mind when I was playing. 60 hours later I think she's a perfect fit, really. I think it's also just because the further into the plot you get, the more you get to hear the VA working with an actual range of expression.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Man, Kill Rush loving owns against the Golden Hands in Rise's dungeon

Chie also providing the Revolution + Rampage boost as well.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Meiteron posted:

I dunno, I had exactly the same reaction when I started up P4G with regards to her VA (it's even earlier in the thread!) but near the end now I think a lot of that was just, for me, because I had her old VA in my mind when I was playing. 60 hours later I think she's a perfect fit, really. I think it's also just because the further into the plot you get, the more you get to hear the VA working with an actual range of expression.

Yeah, this is where I'm at as well. I spent a hell of a lot of time playing the original, so playing a game with a different voice actress for the character who I think has the most spoken lines in the game was just jarring. It judt didn't sound like Chie to me. However, now on my second time through, I like her a lot more. She does sound a bit forced at times still, but she also doesn't sound too old for her character now, so whatever.

Anyway, I am level 51 at the start of the third dungeon. Choosing more exp and taking advantage of golden hands is just absurd :lol:. I also decided to make my Jack Frost into a murder machine for the hell of it by gaming shuffle time and going for sweeps, taking all the stat up cards when they appear. I have gotten so many of them that he has stats of a mid-60's level persona at level 40. I don't know why I am bothering with doing this, but it's pretty amusing to me.

e: he also knows Mind Charge and Mabufudyne. All I need is Ice Amp and I can make a tag team of Jack and Black Frost and roll with them the rest of the game. I cannot put into words how in love I am with the things you can do to your personas now :allears:

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 1, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

LaserShark posted:

Number one, the Rescue Request system is the most wonderfully :3: thing to ever be put in a game. I haven't gotten more than two at a time yet, but I smack those requests whenever they pop up and I can't help but grin when I see that 'you are not alone' message. (My message is 'Sweetdiculous Steak-kun Delivered to Chie!')

It's been driving me nuts recently because for like every 20 fuckers I rescue I get 2 back and gently caress that poo poo

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I played through P3P on easy recently as it was suggested to ease yourself into the difficulty but man, normal mode is really hard and regular enemies are one shotting me and... I'm just having a hard time in general. Can I get some advice? I'd really appreciate it.

I just beat up Shadow Teddie with no problems, but the tanks and champion knights were all doing like, 400-500 damage and just what I feel like I'm going about everything all wrong...

Also who's good on a team? I'm using the first three to join you but I have no idea who to keep around now that more options are popping up

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I played through P3P on easy recently as it was suggested to ease yourself into the difficulty but man, normal mode is really hard and regular enemies are one shotting me and... I'm just having a hard time in general. Can I get some advice? I'd really appreciate it.

I just beat up Shadow Teddie with no problems, but the tanks and champion knights were all doing like, 400-500 damage and just what I feel like I'm going about everything all wrong...

Also who's good on a team? I'm using the first three to join you but I have no idea who to keep around now that more options are popping up

It sounds to me like you probably need to grind more if they're hurting you that bad, or maybe get better armor. Also I ran with the first three the entire game when I played, because I already knew their strengths and how to efficiently use them by that point, and gently caress learning new poo poo.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like to level everyone to keep my options open (low level dudes gain exp really fast so it's not a big deal), but I think I'm in the minority. It's nice to get to a boss and be able to say "Who will I bring into this fight" rather than just bringing your one and only team.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TheJoker138 posted:

It sounds to me like you probably need to grind more if they're hurting you that bad, or maybe get better armor. Also I ran with the first three the entire game when I played, because I already knew their strengths and how to efficiently use them by that point, and gently caress learning new poo poo.

Fair enough. I figured 34 would be fine for the dungeon and that pyro jack was a good choice but chipping away with 60-80 damage sure was time consuming. Guess that's the problem then.

Also did I just spot a clever P3 reference :psyduck: Adachi's rank 5 scene, Nanako reads a book about a pink alligator, the dying dude in P3 wrote that! Neat!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
A lot of characters have their own pros and cons, particularly depending on whether or not you're actively working with their social links. In general, Yukiko and Teddie make good party-wide healers. Your mileage can vary with Yosuke, but if you crank up his social links, he can be a decent emergency healer if you don't rely on items. From how it sounds, Naoto was given an extreme overhaul so that cranking S-Links gets all of the elemental Dyne skills- similar to how Chie and Yukiko get Hama and Mudo.

I'd probably say to focus first on having a party-wide healer, then filling out the rest of your team with whoever else you want. If you don't want to have a party-wide healer, you can always perform the task yourself. Can be a bit annoying in boss fights, but it's definitely an option.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Capsaicin posted:

It starts the next time you go into the TV.

Okay, that made sense.

Speaking of which, what're everyone's messages for the Rescue Requests? Mine is "Bearsona! AWWW YEEEAH! Everyone loves Sweetdiculous bear." Obviously with a Teddie icon :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To do a quick summary: Yosuke is a bit of a jack-of-all-trades early on, later on he becomes more of a buffer/nuker.
Chie is a physical damage dealer through and through.
Yukiko is a healer/fire nuker.
Kanji is a lot like Chie in that he's a phys damage dealer but he's a bit beefier than her and his magic is worse.
Teddie can be tuned to do just about anything: Ice magic nuker, healer, buffer. The only role he can't fulfill is phys damage dealer. It's best to focus on two of those things and making him a nuker/healer just makes him a clone of Yukiko but with ice, so basically he can be a nuker/buffer or a healer/buffer. I guess you could tune him to do all three things at once, but I never tried that.
Naoto's in kind of a weird place. Very good at killing random enemies due to having both instant kill elements (and in P4:G, Electric and Ice magic) in dungeons but against bosses the only real option is mind charge + Megidoloan. It does good damage but chews through SP like woah.

That said, the Protag's wild card system means you can use literally any party you like, so long as you shore up your party's blind spot with him. The guy can do such insane damage that making him your healer probably isn't ideal, but you can still do it if you really wanna use Chie/Kanji/Yosuke or whatever.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

It really comes down to who has buffs/debuffs for your party. Naoto/Kanji/Teddie is what I use, as MC/Kanji are power charging their first turns, and naoto can Heat Riser both heroes as she's faster than Kanji. Teddie debuffs defence, and you're doing max damage in 2 turns.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I lucked into a persona that inherited/learned auto party attack and defence and was suprised at the vast diffence those buffs actually made in combat. Since then I've basically had to have those 2 skill on my main persona.

Kinda limited my playing style a bit, but it was hard to switch away from those skills as nothing else felt even close as effective.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh right it's worth noting for people playing a persona game for the first time: USE BUFFS/DEBUFFS.

Seriously they're actually really important and make things a thousand times easier, unlike every other JRPG ever.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I've actually played Persona 3 and 4 through a few times and have never really cared about buffs/debuffs. Probably because I have disturbing love of grinding levels in these games so they're never really too hard anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Magician is the best card ever, hello Megidolan + mind charge + invigorate 2 and 3 in the fourth dungeon.

• Locked thread