Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MustardMaster posted:

I'd want to play a game with a good story. Preferably an RPG, but anything goes really. I've liked the Final Fantasy series, Persona 4, Metal Gear series and Deus Ex:HR. I know about Deadly Premonition, Nier and Silent Hill and have watched LPs of them.

So what is there under the Moon?

The Walking Dead, above basically everything else. Not an RPG though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

MustardMaster posted:

I'd want to play a game with a good story. Preferably an RPG, but anything goes really. I've liked the Final Fantasy series, Persona 4, Metal Gear series and Deus Ex:HR. I know about Deadly Premonition, Nier and Silent Hill and have watched LPs of them.

Um, To the Moon?

http://freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/

It's gotten stellar reviews.

Seconding the recommendation for The walking Dead.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Thirding The Walking Dead. Easily the best iteration of the franchise and one of the best zombie stories I've experienced overall. My GOTY, too.

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.
I really wanna play a game with awesome speechcraft. Where you can manipulate people and change the way they think. Like KotoR 2 when you can manipulate your teammates, allies, and enemies. Please tell me there's a game like this!

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Scambl posted:

I really wanna play a game with awesome speechcraft. Where you can manipulate people and change the way they think. Like KotoR 2 when you can manipulate your teammates, allies, and enemies. Please tell me there's a game like this!

Alpha Protocol.

Stand well enough as it is, but this is the game you want for conversations meaning something.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scambl posted:

Jade Empire
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Deus Ex
Deus Ex HR
Alpha Protocol
The Walking Dead

There's more, I will post again when I think of them.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Scambl posted:

Planescape Torment handles this pretty seriously, where you can verbally and thoroughly torture many people in the game to your heart's content (especially your party), and there is a unique premise to the setting: if you can get people to believe something, it becomes real. The only caveat to PST's conversations is that dialogue options will have attribute requirements, with the best options normally requiring non-combat stats.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

MustardMaster posted:

Dragon Age: Origins. Good story, good voice acting, and intriguing characters. Plus it's a really fun game. The banter between Morrigan and Alistair is great, as is their destiny, in terms of story. One of Biowares best imo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MustardMaster posted:

The Mass Effect Trilogy's pretty decent overall in terms of story and gameplay.

SMT:Digital Devil Saga 1&2 are pretty good as well (they're a paired game with DDS2 starting right at the end of 1). DDS is a little lean on plot (semi-deliberately for overall story reasons, but it's filled with little strange things and hints that point to something greater), however DDS2 really makes up for that.

Odin Sphere is a PS2 2D side-scrolling rpg that has a well-written story. It has weirdly long load times between screens, but that's non-existent on the PAL version and the PS3 downloadable version.

Rogue Galaxy is a sci-fi action rpg on the PS2 that hits just about every jrpg and general sci-fi cliche it can, but it manages to do so while telling a decent story on its own. It's also choc-full of sidequests and minigames, including a creature battle system using captured insects and an invention minigame that requires you to place the machinery needed to create said inventions within a grid. It's not the greatest game, but it's a really fun one with a pretty solid english dub as well.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Is there any game on Steam or GOG that's like the (very) old Escape Velocity games, by which I mean heavy on writing and world-building?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Heavy neutrino posted:

Is there any game on Steam or GOG that's like the (very) old Escape Velocity games, by which I mean heavy on writing and world-building?

If you want you're just searching for sci-fi heavy on the writing, Anachronox is your deal. It's a "j"RPG by Ion Storm. I can't think of anything that shares EV's gameplay and is also heavy on world building.

I've been hankering for a good strategy RPG for years now. I've demolished the Fire Emblem games, FFT/A, Freedom Force, even Wesnoth. The newest XCOM almost scratched the itch. Preferably something I can get on the PC, as my consoles and handhelds are gone. On that note, Grotesque Tactics is awful.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 3, 2012

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

Get the Starfarer alpha, it will scratch the itch for now.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Pomp posted:

I've been hankering for a good strategy RPG for years now. I've demolished the Fire Emblem games, FFT/A, Freedom Force, even Wesnoth. The newest XCOM almost scratched the itch. Preferably something I can get on the PC, as my consoles and handhelds are gone. On that note, Grotesque Tactics is awful.

Not "new" by a longshot but have you played the Icewind Dale games?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zoe posted:

Not "new" by a longshot but have you played the Icewind Dale games?

More times than I care to admit, but you reminded me that I've never bothered to mod them like I do Baldur's Gate. Thanks.

e:v Oh, poo poo. I played the demo to that ages ago, then promptly got lost in Dota and forgot it existed. This is fantastic.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 3, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pomp posted:

Temple of Elemental Evil? It turns a lot of people off for being more about pure combat than other isometric D&D RPGs - I think a lot of people were expecting another Baldur's Gate - but the combat is absolutely fantastic.

On an indie note, Knights of the Chalice has similar combat to ToEE, but has more varied encounters, better AI and is - IMO - and all-round much better game. There's a fairly extensive demo available with a unique scenario.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 3, 2012

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Get the Starfarer alpha, it will scratch the itch for now.

The Starfarer alpha is definitely not "heavy on writing and world-building" right now. None of that is even in the game yet.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Feedbacker posted:

The Starfarer alpha is definitely not "heavy on writing and world-building" right now. None of that is even in the game yet.

It'll scratch the top-down 'get a cool ship then use it to get a cooler ship' itch I meant.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Are there any more first-person puzzle games, in the same vein as Portal and Qube?

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

VogeGandire posted:

Are there any more first-person puzzle games, in the same vein as Portal and Qube?

Quantum Conundrum. I've not played it, but it fits your request.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

There's The Ball. It's an ok puzzler, although the game's length is padded with unnecessary combat.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Not sure how many people here would be familiar with the game OGame, but are there any other games similar to this? Single player or even another online one, back when I played it was crack for me and I still get this itch to play it again, even though I don't have the heart to start up again because once you get far enough the time investment becomes huge :f5: and you start becoming paranoid once you pass a certain rank on the ladders and become noticed by other high ranking players as a threat or target, drat you espionage. :argh:

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Hi, I'm looking for a fun game I can play in a window on my PC, preferably turn-based, or slow paced enough that if I tab over to another window it won't be fatal. Something I can play casually, but meatier than your average flash game. RPGs are great, I've gone through most of the Spiderweb Software games at this point already, something in that vein would be perfect. Thanks!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Zenaida posted:

Hi, I'm looking for a fun game I can play in a window on my PC, preferably turn-based, or slow paced enough that if I tab over to another window it won't be fatal. Something I can play casually, but meatier than your average flash game. RPGs are great, I've gone through most of the Spiderweb Software games at this point already, something in that vein would be perfect. Thanks!

I'm just now diving into the King's Bounty games and the first one at least is fantastic for this.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Leper Residue posted:

Um, To the Moon?
http://freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/
It's gotten stellar reviews.

I let my Daughter play this over the weekend, it was mainly an exercise in getting her to read things, we played the game through over a couple of days and dammit if I wasn't tearing up during some of the scenes. Soo uhh yeah, a 7 year old can play through the whole game in 4-5 hours and it makes grown men cry.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

MustardMaster posted:

So this is a really obvious suggestion, but how about Baldur's Gate? As in, the whole "trilogy" of both games and the expansion to the second one. The first one has an expansion too but it's all superfluous sidequests and not awfully interesting.
And well, to be honest, if you don't wanna play the WHOLE thing, you can also skip the first game altogether and maybe just read a plot summary or something. Still, I started with BG2 with only the vaguest idea what the first one was about and had no trouble anyways. Lots of good writing in that game, and it's a lot more personal of a story than the usual "save the world from an ancient evil and poo poo" fantasy ho-hum.
But if you have time, starting from the very beginning would probably be a good idea.

Scambl posted:

From all the recommendations so far, Alpha Protocol and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are the ones I'd second.
In AP it's all more subtle, so that how you behave in conversations over the whole game will effect a LOT of things down the road. The game's somewhat on the short side, but is designed to have amazing replay value. Thigs can and will go pretty drastically differently in subsequent playthroughs.
In DX:HR you get these really awesome persuasion scenes with important characters where you really have to pay attention to the information the game gives you about their personality and pick your lines accordingly. They're really well done.

Zenaida posted:

Not in that vein, but have you tried the Heroes of Might and Magic games? Turn based fantasy strategy where you control your dudes who roam around the map with their armies beating poo poo up and taking over castles from where you get more troops, resources to pay for those troops and upgrades to your castles, and artifacts that make your dudes stronger.

Also, Space Rangers 2. It's this really unique kind of space game, where you're this freelancing dude with a ship who is supposed to be helping fight off a galactic threat, but you can just muck about being a pirate/general no-good antihero if you want. It's top-down 2D, kinda pausable real-time, but divided into "turns" that the rest of the galaxy takes simultaneously with you. Kinda like a roguelike game if you ever played one. Some missions you get are done as illustrated text adventures (yes, really), which are usually zany as gently caress. Other missions are actually crude RTS segments where you control some combat robots, but these can be disabled. It's a really drat weird game, but definitely worth a try.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 4, 2012

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

illectro posted:

I let my Daughter play this over the weekend, it was mainly an exercise in getting her to read things, we played the game through over a couple of days and dammit if I wasn't tearing up during some of the scenes. Soo uhh yeah, a 7 year old can play through the whole game in 4-5 hours and it makes grown men cry.

Yeah, it's not so much a game as an interactive story, but the story itself is quite good.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zenaida posted:

Age of Wonders:Shadow Magic

Turn based strategy, RPG bits, you're a wizard that can shoot fireballs across the world, ginormous open ended single player missions.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
A friend of mine is selling his PS3 super cheap, and since my girlfriend and I have been talking about grabbing one, we're splitting the price and getting it even cheaper. So, my question is, what are good PS3/console exclusive games? We already play PC games, and we have our eyes on the Ico/Shadow HD update, MGS4, Journey, Demon's Souls, and Katamari; what good PSN games are out there, and what are you guys' general favorite games for it?

Also, from a few pages back, whoever suggested Space Engine to me for quiet space exploration game nailed it, thank you!

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Heavy Lobster posted:

A friend of mine is selling his PS3 super cheap, and since my girlfriend and I have been talking about grabbing one, we're splitting the price and getting it even cheaper. So, my question is, what are good PS3/console exclusive games? We already play PC games, and we have our eyes on the Ico/Shadow HD update, MGS4, Journey, Demon's Souls, and Katamari; what good PSN games are out there, and what are you guys' general favorite games for it?

Also, from a few pages back, whoever suggested Space Engine to me for quiet space exploration game nailed it, thank you!

Just to make sure, Journey is the best purchase I've made on the PS3. I would buy that over all others first.

Don't forget Dark souls, the pseudo sequel to Demon's souls, it's a much more refined game. I have about 60 hours in Demons, and probably a few hundred in Dark.

Yakuza 4 plays like a crazy asian crime movie you see on tv, but instead of commercials, you beat the poo poo out of people.

Heavy Rain is a pretty cool experience. I only recommend it if you can get it cheap though. It's a one play through only type of game, but both of you will enjoy it, even just watching the other play through it.

Double Dragon Neon is PSN only, and is a great throw back to old school 80's aesthetics with cool music and gameplay.

These next two depend heavily on your taste.

3d Dot Game Heroes is an old school zelda game made with a modern engine. Not everyone loves it, but I had a blast with it, as it scratched all those zelda itches. It really is just From Softwares love letter to Zelda.

Disgaea 4 is a turned based strategy RPG. Using the word strategy loosely there. Having played all but 3, it's probably my favorite story wise, and gameplay wise. The main character is great, and if you've played Diablo 3, he's the Bandit, just totally hamming it up.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Heavy Lobster posted:

Get God Hand off PSN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC2MvIC4j6E

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
So I read about the new FF13 spinoff and I remembered how much I love limited time games like Dead Rising and Majora's Mask. I know Pathologic is like this which I've been meaning to play. Is there anything else out there with that mechanic?

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Law posted:

So I read about the new FF13 spinoff and I remembered how much I love limited time games like Dead Rising and Majora's Mask. I know Pathologic is like this which I've been meaning to play. Is there anything else out there with that mechanic?

Half-minute hero gives you 30 seconds, and you have to keep on resetting time to win.

Valkyrie Profile, Persona 3&4, Devil Survivor 1&2 are kind of "turn" based, in that you have a limited number of days/hours before the end and you have to manage what you spend them on, but you are not really in any kind of rush.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Law posted:

Pikmin.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Law posted:

Kingdom Hearts 3D. That's what the drop system (which inspired the game's subtitle, Dream Drop Distance) is all about.

Wario Land 4 and 5 (Shake It) also count. Racing back through the levels against the time limit is extremely thrilling.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Law posted:

In Avernum 3, the entire world changes and gets progressively more hosed up as time goes by, with entire cities getting destroyed. You can affect these events (save some places from certain doom) or just do other things and profit from the world crumbling around you, as you choose.

Uplink is a hacking simulation game that also has a time limit: the major players in cyberspace are moving towards a decisive conflict. If you're good enough, you can tip the scales one way or the other, but the conflict will occur (and can end the game) with or without your participation.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Are there any space exploration games out there that place exploration as the primary focus? With combat being either non-existant or at least secondary, if not tertiary concern?
Could be first person, third person, 4x, doesn't even have to be a space game in the end. Minceraft kinda covers all that, but I don't really find it that much fun. Yay digging for diamonds :v:
RL Prospector was also fun, but it's buggy and looks like it's been abandoned. I've also played too much Star Control.

I'd settle for a 4x game that fits the bill. There are lots of those, but c'mon, I can decide where the sink will be on my awesome battleship, but can't go on a planet and find stuff, it's all combat, combat, combat (combat). Are there any games where you could set number of opponents to 0 and still play a meaningful game?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Ledenko posted:

Are there any space exploration games out there that place exploration as the primary focus? With combat being either non-existant or at least secondary, if not tertiary concern?
Could be first person, third person, 4x, doesn't even have to be a space game in the end. Minceraft kinda covers all that, but I don't really find it that much fun. Yay digging for diamonds :v:
RL Prospector was also fun, but it's buggy and looks like it's been abandoned. I've also played too much Star Control.

I'd settle for a 4x game that fits the bill. There are lots of those, but c'mon, I can decide where the sink will be on my awesome battleship, but can't go on a planet and find stuff, it's all combat, combat, combat (combat). Are there any games where you could set number of opponents to 0 and still play a meaningful game?

I think you're looking for Noctis IV. It's a game about exploring a gigantic galaxy; you can land on planets and explore them on foot. The game itself doesn't set you any particular goals, although apparently there's an online fanbase who share any interesting findings, and engage in friendly competitions like who can find the tallest tree in the galaxy, and such.

It's a pretty old game and the graphics are very dated, but hey, if you enjoyed Prospector that shouldn't be an issue. Also, a new version (Noctis V) is supposed to be coming out soon-ish (maybe), with a new graphical engine and a bunch of new features.

There are other games where you can explore and the focus isn't on combat, but they usually tend to be survival games (survival as in "find materials to make a tent so you don't freeze at night," not survival as in "monsters leaping in through the windows".) Stranded 2, Unreal World, and Robinson's Requiem come to mind.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 5, 2012

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Law posted:

It's not really as involved as the examples you gave, but the original Prince of Persia (which you can get a pretty good remake of off PSN/XBLA called Prince of Persia Classic) has a hard time limit of an hour. What's clever about it is that if you die and restart the level, you don't get the time back you've already used up, so you can eat that hour up more easily than you'd think.

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.
I'm looking for a really immersive game where night is pitch black like in Miasmata. Moonlight lighting up everything just isn't doing it for me anymore, I want a game where I really feel like It's live or die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Scambl posted:

I'm looking for a really immersive game where night is pitch black like in Miasmata. Moonlight lighting up everything just isn't doing it for me anymore, I want a game where I really feel like It's live or die.

Amnesia? That game is all about darkness.