Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Any tips for the tanks in Rise's dungeon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Due to a request in the Vita IRC channel, I am going to post where to get certain skill cards. Dungeon names will be in spoiler tags of course. I don't know the location of ALL the skill cards, but I'll try and fill in what is missing over time.

Boost cards (Fire Boost, Ice Boost, etc) can be found in the Striptease to Secret Lab dungeons, and are rank 3 cards.

Mind and Power Charge cards are rank 8 and can be found in Heaven and on.

Hama and Mudo boosts are rank 6 and can be found in Void Quest or higher.

Amp cards are rank 7 and can be found in Secret Lab and on.

Megidolaon is a rank 10 card, and can only be found in Magatsu Inaba/Mandala and whatever the name of the true ending dungeon is.

There are obviously other ways to get this card, but I'm only focusing on dungeons. If anyone else wants to contribute please do so, as I'll compile it into a txt document and upload it to dropbox.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Totally not surprised that Yosuke texts like a two year old.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

Dr Pepper posted:

So, Rise learns Relaxing Wave 16 levels earlier.

That's insane. That skill pretty much removes 90% of the dungeon's danger.
Honestly, the difficulty of P4G, on normal anyways, feels like it's a lot easier than the original, on normal anyways.

Capsaicin posted:

Any tips for the tanks in Rise's dungeon?
Spam the strongest magic you have. Megido/Megidola is great too.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Snix posted:

Honestly, the difficulty of P4G, on normal anyways, feels like it's a lot easier than the original, on normal anyways.

I've only beaten the first real boss, but I honestly thought she was harder than the original game.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Snix posted:

I think it's mostly that a lot of the new mechanics serve to make you more powerful more quickly than vanilla P4. I mean for SP restoration alone you have SOS and cup cards on top of the fox and the early Relaxing Wave. On top of that, in my playthrough at least I was seeing Emperor cards enough to make leveling up personas consistently trivial and Magician cards were breaking the game for me from basically the first dungeon onwards.

Once you know what you're doing, generally you start outpacing P4's difficulty curve after the second dungeon and in P4G it happens more quickly and more dramatically. If I start a fresh playthrough again sometime it'll definitely be on Hard.

Kialandi
Oct 3, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

There are obviously other ways to get this card, but I'm only focusing on dungeons. If anyone else wants to contribute please do so, as I'll compile it into a txt document and upload it to dropbox.

I found this Google Doc on Gamefaqs a while back.

It has the locations for each rank of skill cards, what skills they give and what Personas give what skills at the Cafe. I haven't used it yet, but it looks pretty accurate.

It has spoilers for dungeon/persona names, so be careful if you don't want to get spoiled.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Yeah, Magician and Emperor cards show up very consistently. They really do make the game a lot easier because of that, but it's still loads of fun. I've gotten so many Magician cards that the last three I've picked up haven't worked because all of the skills on that persona were already maxed out.

I think after a while, I'm going to attempt making a super awesome Izanagi now that skill cards exist. Then Jack Frost and Pyro Jack, then Setanta, then... ... .. .

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

It's extremely easier in Golden than it was in original P4. I tried switching away from Black Frost for some of the more traditional end game personas, but there really was no reason. Black Frost had 99 magic by December, and the amount of grinding it'd take to catch up would be silly. +1 magic and strength cards make the game a LOT easier than PS2 P4. Also, through the entirety of Golden I had 1 person ever die to a non-mudo/hama spell, whereas in the orignal P4 it approached something close to triple digits, probably.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Grimace posted:

I think after a while, I'm going to attempt making a super awesome Izanagi now that skill cards exist. Then Jack Frost and Pyro Jack, then Setanta, then... ... .. .

Not mine but you're not the only person with that idea.

All the stat boosting cards really add up when they're all being shoved onto a single Persona.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I understand why there are so many Yus when doing the SOS, but why do I see so many Soujis?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Capsaicin: That was his name in the manga adaptation.

Y'know, I keep thinking of another completely different school simulator game that forces you to manage time: Bully.

Now I want to combine the two.

See that little punk Jimmy smash a card and create a huge bizarre spirit, probably of Paul Bunyan as a cyborg, smash his enemies.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Capsaicin posted:

I understand why there are so many Yus when doing the SOS, but why do I see so many Soujis?

Souji Seta is apparently the manga name.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Capsaicin posted:

I smile every time I see a Charlie.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I keep getting the "link not ready to advance" message when the game asks if I want to spend time with Nanako (who's currently Rank 3). Do I need to actually spend more time with her or do I have to wait until more plot stuff happens?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Does it still give you the option of spending time with her?

Social Links level up based off points you get in that link, you get points by spending time with them and selecting the right conversation options. Getting a bonus if you have a Persona in the same Arcana as the link. If you don't have enough points to level up the link, spending time with them just gives you some points.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr Pepper posted:

Does it still give you the option of spending time with her?

Social Links level up based off points you get in that link, you get points by spending time with them and selecting the right conversation options. Getting a bonus if you have a Persona in the same Arcana as the link. If you don't have enough points to level up the link, spending time with them just gives you some points.

Yes, it does. But whenever I can spend time with someone else who isn't going to rank up it doesn't show the same message. I remember getting something similar with Adachi until I checked in a bit later in the game.

VVV It gives me the option of spending time with her. And I don't think there's an Expression requirement for the Rank 4, since the game didn't say anything about it.

I probably should see what actually happens next time if I do spend time with her even if I can't advance the link.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 2, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You need Expression to continue Nanako's link at various ranks. When you talk to her, it should say something about how your expression needs to be at least X.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Maxed my last social link (Temperance) on the first run of a fresh file with exactly one day of free time left before the dead run towards the endgame. :toot:

Still a challenge though, I didn't stick to a rigid guide so I was screwing up building stats all over the place. Worst bit was being a couple weeks behind on maxing courage after Fortune technically unlocked. Between SOS and cup cards, though, I was able to clear each dungeon using up only one day, with a second visit to clear quests and bonus bosses on the next rainy day afterwards. I probably could have been more efficient by holding onto quests and reclearing the old dungeons when a new plot one was unlocked but that would have been stacking way too many hours of dungeon crawling at once; doing a dungeon start-to-finish is a couple hours just by itself, usually.

The last 3 weeks or so in January you get to do whatever you want was super great. It was enough to grab the last few links I had nearly completely ignored across the entire game and just burn through them in rapid succession.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Sankis posted:

Souji Seta is apparently the manga name.
I always thought it was Seta Souji because the Japanese name was written as "Souji Seta" on Wikipedia at one point. Looks like it's been fixed since and I've done three playthroughs with my dude's name backwards. :downs:

Never really cared for that name anyway, though, so in Golden I just went with Yu Narukami. I have no imagination whatsoever.

e: I'm also really bad at social links this time around. I just barely managed to max out all the party members' links by the end of November, and as of December 3 I haven't finished any of the school links (Sun and Strength are both at rank 6 or 7, Moon is rank 4, didn't even start Hanged Man). Empress and Hermit are rank 8 and 9 respectively, Aeon is 7 and Jester 3, Tower and Temperance are also 3 and Death is still rank 1. I keep getting distracted by things. :saddowns: Maxed Devil, though. And both Dojimas, obviously. :colbert:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 2, 2012

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

I always thought it was Seta Souji because the Japanese name was written as "Souji Seta" on Wikipedia at one point. Looks like it's been fixed since and I've done three playthroughs with my dude's name backwards. :downs:

Never really cared for that name anyway, though, so in Golden I just went with Yu Narukami. I have no imagination whatsoever.

I did Yu Narukami as well because it's official and canon now so why not.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

His name is Charlie. :colbert:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I called him Akemi Nakajima. Points if you figure out why.

Prism posted:

Isn't he the original Megami Tensei protagonist, who is related to Izanagi?

Exactly. He is present in the original Digital Devil Story novels where everything began, and he is the reincarnation of Izanagi, alongside Yumiko - Izanami's reincarnation.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 2, 2012

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pollyanna posted:

I called him Akemi Nakajima. Points if you figure out why.

Isn't he the original Megami Tensei protagonist, who is related to Izanagi?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Swagger Dagger posted:

This. If you didn't name him Charlie Tunoku you are worse than double Hitler.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I did Yu Narukami because when I played P4Arena I kept thinking THAT ISN'T HIS NAME until I got used to it.

Meiteron posted:

Maxed my last social link (Temperance) on the first run of a fresh file with exactly one day of free time left before the dead run towards the endgame. :toot:

I'm in end of October (haven't started Heaven event yet) and just realized my Understanding is at like, 3. There's no way I'm raising it fast enough to get the Tutor S.Link finished by the end, I was focusing too much on maxing Expression for Dojimas and Courage for Fortune (Knowledge seems like it gets to max early even if you're not trying).

Tutor is a night link though and I've finished Dojimas and Hospital so you think it's possible to finish it even if I have to raise Understanding first? It's only 3 days a week so I don't know if that's even possible.

I definitely messed up this time through, like I wasted days when an S.Link wouldn't level with someone because I didn't know there was a boosting event coming up.

I also have a feeling I'm going to miss Adachi because I don't get the rules of his S.Link and there's a cutoff where if you aren't high enough it stops leveling.

I haven't even started Hanged Man but he's available 5 times a week so that should be easy to finish up.

I wasn't trying to max everything out but now that I'm realizing it might be possible I'm going to at least try.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I got a Rescue from a Kanji which I think is a great choice.

You're Kanji? I'M ALSO KANJI! GETBENTGETBENTGETBENTGETBENT

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Battlechat:

Tam Lin is just a cross fusion of all the previous Sun persona, one of them (Narasimha) gets auto-Mataru, and Tam Lin gets Auto-Maraku. These skills combined both start your entire party with +Attack and +Defense buffs for 3 turns.

Since random battles are usually over in 3 turns you basically just switched those to Easy. Tam Lin's last skill Enduring Soul also fully revives your guy if he dies in case this wasn't enough.

Even if you don't want to use him you might as well get all 3 skills on him and fuse them to someone else.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I haven't seen any Charlies yet. On the other hand, nine times out of ten if I see an SOS Request it'll be from a Yu.

That being said, if anybody comes across a Gareth, that's me.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
So here's something that's puzzling me- if you guys always meet up at the food court, why do you take an elevator to get there?

Vaashila
Feb 4, 2011

I have a strange feeling about those eyes...

DeathBySpoon posted:

So here's something that's puzzling me- if you guys always meet up at the food court, why do you take an elevator to get there?

Because the food court is on the second floor I assume.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

DeathBySpoon posted:

I think the food court is on the roof.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It is. That's why there are umbrellas and why it rains and snows up there.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Did they add a Christmas event for Marie? A plain yes or no will do.

Otherwise, I'll stick with Debilitate on Yoshitsuna. Thanks to the new inherit system, getting Repel Dark was a lot easier. Can you get Resist/Null element cards? I'm thinking about going full resist Beelzebub, unless there was something else that can resist 4 or more elements.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So, even though a Perona 4 Golden calendar is a thing, I spent a bit of time making a mock-up that looks like the ingame calendar in your room.

I may have to spend the next few weeks making the other months and find a place to print it so I can put it up in my house.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I just got Akasha Arts in Rise's Dungeon. The new chance time is kinda broken guys. And I love it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lord Ephraim posted:

Did they add a Christmas event for Marie? A plain yes or no will do.

Otherwise, I'll stick with Debilitate on Yoshitsuna. Thanks to the new inherit system, getting Repel Dark was a lot easier. Can you get Resist/Null element cards? I'm thinking about going full resist Beelzebub, unless there was something else that can resist 4 or more elements.
I'm pretty sure I've seen resist element cards with the little skill card symbol next to them by default on some guys. You can definitely find them in shuffle time.

Just looked it up and you can get up to Absorb of every element but not repel as skill cards (can only repel light and dark).

Also something that you'll want to keep in mind: apparently Marie keeps every skill card you give her in NG+ which is actually really neat.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Nanako's social link is so sweet, it's giving me diabetes. Likewise, Adachi's is unfolding very interestingly. I'm really glad they added him as a Social Link.

What all carries over to New Game+ this time around? I was really depressed when I started it in Vanilla P4 and found all of my awesome equipment was gone. I don't expect that has changed, but I may as well ask.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

A Sometimes Food posted:

I just got Akasha Arts in Rise's Dungeon. The new chance time is kinda broken guys. And I love it.
There's also the abundance of rare shadows. Once you get Megido or Megidola, you're pretty much guaranteed to get at least 3000+ EXP per battle against one.

Snix fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

CHARLIE SOUJI YU

Yu Narukami for lyfe. I was so disappointed there was no Yu Mode in Golden. In which he's voice acted and acts like in the anime.

• Locked thread