Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
I'm making a game. It's called Colonia and it's another space 4X/RTS thing. I'm really bad at self-promotion. :ohdear: Also possibly at making games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faxmaster
Nov 1, 2004

I can see all of the colors.

Animal Mother posted:

I'm making a game. It's called Colonia and it's another space 4X/RTS thing. I'm really bad at self-promotion. :ohdear: Also possibly at making games.

um. You obviously think your game is worth $12,000, right? I bet you're excited about it, that this is something you love doing, right? Tell me about that. Don't apologize or make excuses. And jesus, don't ask for funding and then say, even jokingly, that you're bad at making games. You're priming people to look for problems with your pitch. No one is going to want to back you if you don't sound excited, especially if you keep giving them reasons they shouldn't.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Cicero posted:

Yeah I'm fine with simplistic art, but their style just looks terrible. It's like they took the worst aspects of The Old Republic's art and magnified them.

I can get over that if the actual game/story is good. Also hopefully the art might be improved based on feedback - who knows. I'm okay with cartoony if it looks nice. In this case I agree that it needs work.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

Pillbug

faxmaster posted:

um. You obviously think your game is worth $12,000, right? I bet you're excited about it, that this is something you love doing, right? Tell me about that. Don't apologize or make excuses. And jesus, don't ask for funding and then say, even jokingly, that you're bad at making games. You're priming people to look for problems with your pitch. No one is going to want to back you if you don't sound excited, especially if you keep giving them reasons they shouldn't.

You're right. I'm not sure what I was trying to accomplish with that post. Probably a combination of preemptive defense against mockery and the assumption that everyone knows I'm excited about it because I wouldn't be doing it otherwise. Both pretty stupid in hindsight.

Anyway, Colonia is a space 4X/RTS game I've been working on for the last 6 months. I'm really excited about it. I think it does a good job combining the "five minutes to learn, a lifetime to master" resource management of classic RTSs, the long term strategy and map control of strategy games like the Total War series, and the endless sperging out over ship fitting and battle tactics of something like Eve Online, but without the mining, hauling, and assholes. If you like spreadsheets and blowing poo poo up, please take a look.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Animal Mother posted:

You're right. I'm not sure what I was trying to accomplish with that post. Probably a combination of preemptive defense against mockery and the assumption that everyone knows I'm excited about it because I wouldn't be doing it otherwise. Both pretty stupid in hindsight.

Anyway, Colonia is a space 4X/RTS game I've been working on for the last 6 months. I'm really excited about it. I think it does a good job combining the "five minutes to learn, a lifetime to master" resource management of classic RTSs, the long term strategy and map control of strategy games like the Total War series, and the endless sperging out over ship fitting and battle tactics of something like Eve Online, but without the mining, hauling, and assholes. If you like spreadsheets and blowing poo poo up, please take a look.
Show some actual gameplay. Your video could be 3D-rendered cinematic for all I know, as I can't see any game mechanics / I have no idea how it would actually play.

Also, get your face in front of the camera. I know, I know, it's weird to do that, but Kickstarter isn't just about selling the game - you're trying to sell yourself as someone people want to give money to. You say you're excited? Cool, show us excited.

EDIT: Ah, ignore that, didn't realize your first update was precisely that. Though this is way, way more interesting than your current main video.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: Ah, ignore that, didn't realize your first update was precisely that. Though this is way, way more interesting than your current main video.

Why don't more people update their pitch video? I rarely ever see anyone do it. Is it a restriction by Kickstarter?

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

Pillbug

Obsurveyor posted:

Why don't more people update their pitch video? I rarely ever see anyone do it. Is it a restriction by Kickstarter?

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be any way to do that. As soon as that thing went live I wanted to replace it, or at least throw an "In-Game Footage" caption in there.

e: Ah, there it is.

go for a stroll fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 2, 2012

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Obsurveyor posted:

I remember the PE Kickstarter updated their video with new stuff several times, unless they changed their policy since then.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Alpha Colony is down to 50 minutes, and is over 90% funded. Just $3k to go.

I really hope it makes it - Chris has been running himself ragged for the last few months to try and get some momentum behind the project. I see him at a local gamedev get-together every month, and every time, the shadows under his eyes have gotten that little bit worse, heh.

(Chris is just a good friend. I've no idea if I'll end up working on the project, especially at the minimum funding level... I just really, really want to seem him succeed.)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 2, 2012

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Threw him :10bux:, even though I'll probably never play it. Best of luck, gonna be tight if he does make it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Man, it would be so easy for him or someone he knows to just front the final bit at the last second. I hope they can do that :ohdear:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think it's gonna make it, how depressing to fall down a foot from the finish line.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
9 hundred to go. 2 minutes.... I upped to :10bux: :10bux:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

He probably would have made if it the kickstarter didn't end at 2am EST.

Edit: ended $28 short.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Wow. It failed. That sucks, it was less than $100 away.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Holy poo poo he's gonna be crushed. God drat.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Funding failed, $28 from the finish line.

God drat :(

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Holy poo poo that's depressing.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

He probably would have made if it the kickstarter didn't end at 2am EST.
Sad, but probably true.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

helopticor posted:

Sad, but probably true.

Yeah, the opening and closing sprints really need to be at prime time for your audience. Really sucks for him, annoying knowing if every poster kicked in $4 extra on this page this guy would have made it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That may be the closest a failed kickstarter has ever been to succeeding. $28 off is insanely close.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I was just about to donate $30. :(

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That may be the closest a failed kickstarter has ever been to succeeding. $28 off is insanely close.

Whaaaat the hell. That is insane. There's gotta be some way he could work something out with Kickstarter. :smith: Get someone to e-mail kickstarter and say they tried to donate and the site bugged out at the last minute. tinaun, you should do that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

That is super harsh. I usually check this thread for things to spend my dwindling money on, but this morning I had work and couldn't get to it. Shame.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
As someone who passed on that kickstarter a while back because I figured it would make it and I could buy it after reviews had come out: :smith:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
And this is why you have your mom's credit card at the ready.

Vafthrudnir
Apr 6, 2009

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!
Man, I have zero interest in the game but this is really heartbreaking.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Vafthrudnir posted:

Man, I have zero interest in the game but this is really heartbreaking.

Me too. I clicked on it from Shalinor's post a few hours ago, saw 'Funding Unsuccessful' and then looked up to see how much they missed by and literally winced. Poor guys :(

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know, do you guys think it would be in bad taste for them to try to build up a fan-campaign to ask Kickstarter to let someone pay the remaining $28? I mean, it is technically a violation of the spirit of Kickstarter. One of the reason people don't mind pledging is they know they'll only have to shell out if the project actually meets funding. Would it set a bad precedent to let the Alpha Colony people have a chance to save their campaign?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

XboxPants posted:

I don't know, do you guys think it would be in bad taste for them to try to build up a fan-campaign to ask Kickstarter to let someone pay the remaining $28? I mean, it is technically a violation of the spirit of Kickstarter. One of the reason people don't mind pledging is they know they'll only have to shell out if the project actually meets funding. Would it set a bad precedent to let the Alpha Colony people have a chance to save their campaign?

Perhaps we could fund the fan-campaign through a Kickstarter.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It would probably be outright illegal to let the project get funded at this point. Kickstarter made an agreement with every single backer that they wouldn't charge them if the project didn't succeed. To turn around and say "we're charging you anyways" would not only be a lovely thing to do on principle, it would be criminal and would open them up to serious trouble.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
He should try again though, right? I'm sure there'll be press on Monday about this exact incident, maybe it could generate some buzz for a second kickstarter.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Absolutely. Personally, I feel like that's the morally right thing to do, anyways.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Absolutely. Personally, I feel like that's the morally right thing to do, anyways.

Ah, right, the legal issues would be pretty horrific, I'd imagine. Well, it sucks for them to have to run a third Kickstarter, but hopefully they can get some press off of this and get it funded without too much difficulty.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
It must have taken some serious loving integrity for those guys not to self-fund the last bit. loving champions.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Seriously. At just $28 I'd go gently caress integrity. An entire Kickstarter failed for such a pitiful amount. It's absurd.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mug posted:

It must have taken some serious loving integrity for those guys not to self-fund the last bit. loving champions.

More likely they'd gone to bed because it was 1am. I can sympathise - if I were running a kickstarter I might want to go to bed and wake up to the results whatever they may be instead of stay up till all hours chewing my nails and get so wound up I can't sleep afterwards.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Jedit posted:

More likely they'd gone to bed because it was 1am. I can sympathise - if I were running a kickstarter I might want to go to bed and wake up to the results whatever they may be instead of stay up till all hours chewing my nails and get so wound up I can't sleep afterwards.

No way would they sleep through their kickstarter ending. I was barely able to sleep the night I first showed my game on reddit.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mug posted:

I doubt it was integrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Maybe I'm a dick, but if they couldn't be bothered to stay alert enough to self fund fund like $30 to make sure they made it at the last 10 minutes, or even to set their kickstarter off on a prime investin' time, maybe they shouldn't be making video games?