Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
FFT isn't in 3:4. My screenshots past the second update are 512x480 for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yea, I was a bit curious why some of the screenshots have black bars on the left and right side while the earlier screenshots don't. Also the screenshots do seem fairly big and at an odd resolution overall (800x600 for PS1 seems off).

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Thanks dudes! I guess the only thing I'm showing off is how much I've got to learn.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Thanks dudes! I guess the only thing I'm showing off is how much I've got to learn.

Don't Worry. Everyone starts off as a novice.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VivaVizer posted:

That's really not true. If I look at my playlist of 15 videos, when I look at video 13, the related videos show video 3, 4, 9, and 10. Why? No idea, but it does. Episode 14 was uploaded two days ago so I don't believe it is Youtube just being slow. Does it for multiple videos that I have uploaded.

Ultimately, I want to give options like MeccaPrime but really want to look for options that viewers love. Though the consensus is it really it isn't needed. Which is fine. I'm rather lazy to begin with.

Will keep doing annotations for previous/next into playlist though. I did that because it is something that I find useful.

That's weird, that has always worked for any playlist that I've watched on Youtube (usually I don't load the playlist, I just load a video and the next video is always a click away). Are you sure that your playlist is ordered correctly? Can you link us to an example where the first related video isn't just the next entry of the playlist?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

When you shrink the screenshots, also use .pngs or higher quality .jpgs because you are getting artifacting like hell on the ones in the test post.

e: Oops, someone already suggested png and I missed it. Oh well, redundancy. Use png.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 2, 2012

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

QuarkJets posted:

That's weird, that has always worked for any playlist that I've watched on Youtube (usually I don't load the playlist, I just load a video and the next video is always a click away). Are you sure that your playlist is ordered correctly? Can you link us to an example where the first related video isn't just the next entry of the playlist?

Sure.

Bioshock playlist

Episode 13

What I see

Though I am noticing something interesting...it definitely seems to do it for my older videos.

I wondering if it is based on which video people tend to watch next and since my older videos were watched in order, the recommend videos are in order. It doesn't automatically put the next playlist item in related videos but rather the next playlist item shows up in related videos because people usually watch it next.

Though I did notice something pretty cool on one another Youtube video.

A TB video

The thing in the top right corner that says:
"Next in WTF Is...: Season 18 Episodes"

How do I get me some of that...

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 2, 2012

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Thanks again for all the tips guys!

I've got a new size, new format, new plugins, and a few less goofy filters.

Any better?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Some of those still look really loving blurry for some reason, mostly the first two, but maybe that's just how the game is, given that all the actual sprites look perfectly clear.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Thanks again for all the tips guys!

I've got a new size, new format, new plugins, and a few less goofy filters.

Any better?

Much better. Looks fine. You can losslessly compress the images to make them even smaller using PNGGauntlet. You can also save most of them probably as an 8-bit PNG (with dithering if you want) to cut the file sizes in half. Like so:

Your image:

8-bit version:

See, they look more or less identical and the 8-bit version is half the size. You don't have to; what you have is plenty fine. I just like squeezing as much out of images as possible, especially if there will be a lot on one page.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

So what's the deal with this game?

The Way is a six episode episodic RPG made in RPG Maker 2000 by Lun Calasari. It's mostly a solo effort, with a few faceset and musical contributions from other people (and a lot of resources from commercially released games, which is the norm for RPG Maker).

How does it play?

Gameplay can be divided into two parts, normal battle and the Plunge. Normal battles are fairly standard, the only unique aspect being a kind-of interesting skill system. The real fun comes with the Plunge. The Plunge is basically Advanced Rock Paper Scissors. It's pretty simple at first, with the results being decided mostly by luck, but it becomes surprisingly fun and strategic later on when you start getting skills. Eventually the results of the actual rock-paper-scissors part become negligible and the skills are the most important part. There are also a large variety of minigames of varying quality.

So what makes this game special?

It's one of the more famous RPG Maker games, and with good reason. It has a really good story; though the writing fumbles sometimes, once the story starts rolling it's really gripping and thrilling, with some really awesome plot twists. Though the gameplay is nothing spectacular, some of the stuff Lun was able to pull off with 2000 was amazing, especially considering it was a rather restrictive system. Anyway, it's very clear he put a ton of effort into this, which makes it deserving of an LP.

How will you be presenting this?

Informatively, mostly. I'll be trying to go for one-hundred percent for episodes one through five; no guarantees for six. You'll see why when it comes up. There isn't going to be really any viewer participation, unfortunately. I struggled to find a way to upload the music, as its pretty good (or in the case of the music from other games, well-utilized). I tried converting the MIDI files to MP3, but it made the songs all synth-y and weird. The way I've currently gotten it rigged, click on the link and whatever media player you have set up to play MIDI should start playing it automatically. If anyone has a suggestion on how to do this better, feel free to tell me. Oh, and there are some spectacularly gory deaths; I'll try to capture them as GIFs as possible.

So that's about it. I have to stress: no spoilers. Not even behind spoiler tags. This game has some pretty great twists, it'd be a shame for them to be ruined. But speculation is welcome. Oh, and while I've written some LPs for other forums before, they've been pretty lovely. I'm hoping for this one to break the trend. So any feedback is very welcome. With that out of the way, let's start wandering the way.

Updates
Chapter 1: Land Beneath the Sky

Update 1: All Who Exist Are Wanderers

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any feedback would be great. Anyone have advice for uploading MIDI files? I tried converting them to MP3 but they hosed up.

luigimeister
Feb 28, 2012

Brought this over to the sandcastle since someone suggested it.

Ys Origin is a Japanese action RPG that is oddly enough only on the computer (at least for me, I hadn't experienced a computer only RPG before). Ys Origin, like every Ys game I've played (which is only one other) is pretty drat hard on normal difficulty and up. Be prepared to die a lot early on, and on most of the bosses. This game is particular (there are quite a few Ys games) was brought over to America by a wonderful company named XSEED Games. They've brought a few smaller RPGs that usually get left behind by such titans like Final Fantasy.

Ys Origin is, in my humble opinion, an amazing looking game. The art direction is great on normal settings, but if you have a halfway decent computer and can do it, the game looks amazing on max settings. The music is also phenomenal.

Chronologically Ys Origin, as its name suggests, is the first in the line of Ys games. It's the only one of the Ys games that you can't play through the main story as Adol Christin. There's actually three characters, with fairly unique play instead of him. You can get Ys Origin on steam for 20 bucks or like 5 bucks during steam sales, and the rest of the Ys games (to my knowledge) are on quite a few consoles/handhelds over here in the States (no clue about Europe).

Now that a good deal of Ys Origin's back story is out of the way, here's the first video:

Part 1 (video is down now, I already rerecorded)

luigimeister fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 2, 2012

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

First I'd say you want to use [img] or [timg] tags around your images since people don't really want to open up another tab or page to look at each image. I'd also say that your character portraits are a tad on the large size and can probably be scaled down. In regards to the content, you say you want to be informative but maybe the intro is a bit too short to get that...but you mostly just come off as snarky to almost everything. I'd also want to say it might be good to cut out the white screens going over the creator wanking himself, sure it's good comedy fuel for snarky jokes but it just breaks up the flow to me.

luigimeister posted:

This wasn't too bad, and I'd say you've got a few ideas going. A few things though; turn up the game audio. If you've got it turned down so you are still audible then I'd say use autoducking because pretty much the entire opening cutscene just came across as a bunch of muted mumbling to me. Secondly I'd say if you were worried about keeping text on screen for too long (which you didn't), then just tell people to pause it or in turn summarize it a bit. Obviously do not read it verbatim since summarizing it can do just as well. Really though it's a pretty good video and I'd say if you were unsure then it might be good to look over some of the other Y's LP's that toddy did as they seemed to be fairly well received.

Also do some research beforehand cause it's not hard to figure out what a Turbografx was.

luigimeister
Feb 28, 2012

Niggurath posted:

This wasn't too bad, and I'd say you've got a few ideas going. A few things though; turn up the game audio. If you've got it turned down so you are still audible then I'd say use autoducking because pretty much the entire opening cutscene just came across as a bunch of muted mumbling to me. Secondly I'd say if you were worried about keeping text on screen for too long (which you didn't), then just tell people to pause it or in turn summarize it a bit. Obviously do not read it verbatim since summarizing it can do just as well. Really though it's a pretty good video and I'd say if you were unsure then it might be good to look over some of the other Y's LP's that toddy did as they seemed to be fairly well received.

Also do some research beforehand cause it's not hard to figure out what a Turbografx was.

Not knowing what a Turbografx 16 was was silly on my part. I blanked on it even though I had looked it up the other day. As for the game audio, it gets rather loud during some of the uptempo boss music, so I'll probably just raise the cut-scene audio individually as well as raise the volume a few dB. Thanks for the advice.

luigimeister fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 2, 2012

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I was going to ask a question relating to video resolutions, but then I double checked and I don't think it's a problem. Or might not be. I'll find out when I upload it, I suppose.

Anyway, I do have another question, this one about frame rates. Not sure if it's supposed to be in the tech support thread or not, but I think it's more relative to what the end user sees, as opposed to any question about the technology itself.

When I capture from my N64 (and possibly other consoles, but I haven't checked), I can capture at 25 or 50fps (no other options given to me). Is it better to go with the higher frame rate? I imagine I'd see it if it were pointed out to me, but I just can't notice the difference between the two myself.

luigimeister
Feb 28, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

I was going to ask a question relating to video resolutions, but then I double checked and I don't think it's a problem. Or might not be. I'll find out when I upload it, I suppose.

Anyway, I do have another question, this one about frame rates. Not sure if it's supposed to be in the tech support thread or not, but I think it's more relative to what the end user sees, as opposed to any question about the technology itself.

When I capture from my N64 (and possibly other consoles, but I haven't checked), I can capture at 25 or 50fps (no other options given to me). Is it better to go with the higher frame rate? I imagine I'd see it if it were pointed out to me, but I just can't notice the difference between the two myself.

I'm gonna answer this real fast even it is tech since its an easy answer. For N64 I'd record at 25 fps for most games. It really depends. Some look beautiful at 50 some will look horribly choppy at 50. The fps was that low in the N64 games. For modern consoles gamecube and up you'll want to record at 50 since most modern games run at 30-60.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

luigimeister posted:

I'm gonna answer this real fast even it is tech since its an easy answer. For N64 I'd record at 25 fps for most games. It really depends. Some look beautiful at 50 some will look horribly choppy at 50. The fps was that low in the N64 games. For modern consoles gamecube and up you'll want to record at 50 since most modern games run at 30-60.
Something you want to keep in mind though is that if you're using Youtube, or most other primary public hosting services, then they'll bump your FPS down to 30 if you are recording at something in excess of 30 FPS. So unless you're hosting on your own private hosting then recording at above 30 won't matter. I am curious though, what are you recording off of that is limiting your FPS choices to 25 or 50 (and those seem a bit odd but I guess they're are relative PAL refresh rates?). If you are using an emulator then it really shouldn't be an issue since most N64 emulators that I've used don't have that issue.

luigimeister
Feb 28, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

Also as another side note, you only need 50 fps recordings for HD really. 25 is good enough for non HD. Edit: Youtube and other most video hosts messes with your FPS and shoots it down to 30 anyway.

luigimeister fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 2, 2012

luigimeister
Feb 28, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Something you want to keep in mind though is that if you're using Youtube, or most other primary public hosting services, then they'll bump your FPS down to 30 if you are recording at something in excess of 30 FPS. So unless you're hosting on your own private hosting then recording at above 30 won't matter. I am curious though, what are you recording off of that is limiting your FPS choices to 25 or 50 (and those seem a bit odd but I guess they're are relative PAL refresh rates?). If you are using an emulator then it really shouldn't be an issue since most N64 emulators that I've used don't have that issue.

Oh yeah I forgot about good old youtube and its FPS dropper.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I have an EasyCap DC60 that I capture with EasyCap Viewer on OSX. It only gives me the option to halve the frame rate; I checked some Wii videos I'd recorded a few weeks ago, and they went at 59.94/29.97fps, so it's not set to any particular frame rate, rather it seems to be picking up what's coming in automatically. I think I remember PS2 footage coming in at 25/50 as well. Only other console I have is a 360, and I haven't checked what it captures at.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Just checking before posting my next update, but is there anything stopping baldurk from making LP Archive entries longer than actual posts can be in the forums? I ask because my next update goes well over 50000 characters, but there's not enough content if I split it up to warrant two separate updates.

I was thinking for the moment I could split it up, then when I submit the archive request after I'm all done, baldurk can combine the two posts into the update's original form.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
I can but generally won't unless there's just a little bit extra to tack on in the second part or it's a one-off or something. If updates are that incredibly long they should be split up just for readability/browser performance purposes if nothing else.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Well, the character count at the moment stands at 51437, so a second update would only be about 4000 characters long. Turns out I was way off with the "well over" part.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I suppose this is the ideal thread, but here it goes. My first LP [Wrestling Mpire 2008] was great fun to do, as it was silly and the user engagement in the LP's thread and YouTube comments was great, people were lapping it up, which egged me on even more, checking my email and the user CP for new replies really was the icing on the cake.

But the last few LP's and especially my current two are filtering off a bit, just wondering what I can do to become a better LP'er? Currently playing Hidden and Dangerous 2 and WWE Here comes the pain, granted my updates are more spaced thanks to my new job now, but I feel the mix isn't there. I suppose you get that with some games, but I'm wondering how much it is down to me and my styling/presentation etc?

Wrestling games is my thing more or less (knowledge-wise), but I don't want to shoe-horn myself into one genre, the first LP was good because people loved the MDickie craziness, but LP'ing the commercial WWE/F games is lacking that same raucousness.

I know you should play games to just have fun, but a large part of doing this, is goon responses, and general banter in YT comments, maybe I just need to stick to poo poo-obscure games rather than commerical proper games?

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

PureRok posted:

Your image:

8-bit version:

See, they look more or less identical and the 8-bit version is half the size. You don't have to; what you have is plenty fine. I just like squeezing as much out of images as possible, especially if there will be a lot on one page.

The second one has pretty bad banding but it's up to you to decide if that's okay, I guess. Personally I would err on the side of not loving with the original as much as possible if it's a matter of saving a few dozen kilobytes. If something actually fits in an 8-bit palette your PNG encoders/optimisers should work that out. Also saves you from having to check if any individual screenshot gets particularly damaged by your lossy conversion to 8-bit.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

jawbroken posted:

The second one has pretty bad banding but it's up to you to decide if that's okay, I guess. Personally I would err on the side of not loving with the original as much as possible if it's a matter of saving a few dozen kilobytes. If something actually fits in an 8-bit palette your PNG encoders/optimisers should work that out. Also saves you from having to check if any individual screenshot gets particularly damaged by your lossy conversion to 8-bit.

Well, I didn't turn on dithering, so of course it wouldn't be as good. It's not really noticeable unless you look at it closely, though. Also, I wouldn't say "pretty bad banding". It's hardly noticeable unless you alternate between the two images and look closely.

Saving a few kilobytes per image adds up, especially when you can have hundreds of images on a page. It's not just about bandwidth, but keeping memory consumption down on browsers.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Turning on dithering will increase the file size and make it even less worthwhile. It's easily noticeable to me, without alternating.

I also doubt it improves browser memory consumption because they need to decode images to render a page, but I haven't done any testing across browsers (and I doubt you have either). Might slightly increase the size of an in-memory cache of the image file, I guess.

I see the advice to just save images as 8-bit PNGs frequently in this forum, so I'm just saying that I wouldn't recommend it blindly. If your game has an 8-bit palette then you can do it explicitly if you like, but your PNG encoder or optimiser will generally do it for you.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sylphid posted:

Well, the character count at the moment stands at 51437, so a second update would only be about 4000 characters long. Turns out I was way off with the "well over" part.

Isn't there anything you can paraphrase ever?
E: Unrelated but your character portraits are needlessly large too, you could easily get away with halving the size.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 2, 2012

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

simosimo posted:

I know you should play games to just have fun, but a large part of doing this, is goon responses, and general banter in YT comments, maybe I just need to stick to poo poo-obscure games rather than commerical proper games?

Having a gimmick main character worked fine your your early wrestling videos, for other games I find that gimmick dull and it takes away from the game. That's why I personally haven't watched any of your newer LPs.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

frozentreasure posted:

I can capture at 25 or 50fps (no other options given to me)

Are you in a PAL region? Europe, Australia?

luigimeister posted:

Also as another side note, you only need 50 fps recordings for HD really. 25 is good enough for non HD. Edit: Youtube and other most video hosts messes with your FPS and shoots it down to 30 anyway.
What does HD or SD have to do with framerate? I'm honestly confused by this. In fact, if I had to, I'd say the opposite -- lots of 8 or 16 bit games run at 60 FPS and need that 60 FPS for some flickering transparency effects, while not many console current-gen games do and even if they do they look mostly fine at 30.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Are you in a PAL region? Europe, Australia?

I am; Australia.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Dr. Snofeld posted:

Neither version has good voice acting but I think the PAL voice acting is more fitting, if that makes sense.

I was going to attempt to LP this game a while back but I couldn't get any good footage with the gear that I have, so I'm looking forward to either or both threads.

Yeah, that makes sense, considering American Spike has such a man voice despite being 10 years old (at least I think he is). New video should be up today, internet willing. It's been iffy lately around my household.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

cKnoor posted:

Having a gimmick main character worked fine your your early wrestling videos, for other games I find that gimmick dull and it takes away from the game. That's why I personally haven't watched any of your newer LPs.

Was also thinking this, I plan to play things like MAFIA, and the character simply won't fit.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

simosimo posted:

Was also thinking this, I plan to play things like MAFIA, and the character simply won't fit.
Then move away from the character? Maybe try to figure out a new gimmick as I kept seeing new Radical Larry threads and just kept getting the feeling you were running it into the ground.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Niggurath posted:

Then move away from the character? Maybe try to figure out a new gimmick as I kept seeing new Radical Larry threads and just kept getting the feeling you were running it into the ground.

I'm convinced , just got my two current games then will ditch it!

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Yeah, Larry fits well enough into any wrestling game you want to do, but throwing him into other games is pointless. That GTA thread gained nothing from Larry, for instance, and the gimmick just kind of limits the jokes you make in the videos.

Also, maybe shorten the videos? The 40 minutes of Larry jokes was a bit too much for one sitting regardless of the game. i haven't watched a Larry video in a while so maybe you already resolved that though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Most games don't even need made-up characters - Mafia has a very well developed story with a fully characterized protagonist, and I see you are playing H&D 2, which isn't too story driven, but works quite well with the assets it does have and doesn't really need role-playing.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

luigimeister posted:

Framerate doesn't really have anything to do with resolution, they're kinda distinct from one another. 60fps high res footage does look great though.

But yeah, just record at 25fps. It might look a bit shuddery with some games that run at 30, but youtube will just knock the framerate down to 30 and completely throw the audio sync out of whack.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
PAL games do run at 50 FPS anyway, so 25 will look fine.

Ideally you'd play PAL games in PAL60, but not all games offer that option, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

PAL games do run at 50 FPS anyway, so 25 will look fine.

Ideally you'd play PAL games in PAL60, but not all games offer that option, sadly.

Yeah I just meant that if he needed to record a PAL60 source there will be some dropped frames and it will look a bit shuddery. Most console games just run at 25 or 30 frames, depending on if you're using PAL50 or PAL60 and frameskip back up to 50 or 60, so if you're recording a PAL50 source at 25, there's no real information lost and it should look identical.

But if it's ACTUALLY running at 50fps, then you'll be losing some frames, but it should still look reasonably smooth since the frames that are being dropped are in a perfect multiple of 2, if you were losing an uneven amount of frames that's when you start getting weird shudders and whatnot.

Here's a video I recorded of a game running at 30fps but recorded at 25 because xsplit is a jerk and I should have just switched to ffsplit because restricting your recordings to 25fps is a real dick move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7vfPgyo6Dc

• Locked thread