Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Dan Didio posted:

I killed without much trouble specifically because instead of mauling me to death when I hit it with an arrow it just ran off on a trail leading to the beachfront, really wierd behaviour on that one.

I feel like if a pack of rabid dogs can bumrush me while I'm hunting them with an RPG, then a legendary Panther can probably do the same when all I've got is a bow and arrow.

I use animal repellent. You aggro the animal but it won't attack you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008
holy goddamn poo poo. I was just roaming around the southern part of amanaka for some tapir hides, ran out of hunter's instinct syringes. I find some, craft two and inject it as soon as I quit menu. I look around me to see if I can find some silhouettes of tapirs and... not even 5 meters away from me, I see an outline of a tiger, slowly making itself towards me through the knee deep foliage. I take some steps backward and to see if it stops tracking me if I make enough distance from it. Nope. It's got its eyes right on me, tail down, stalking me a good 30 meters away. I don't know if that's usual business in Far Cry but drat, tigas.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Kringy posted:

holy goddamn poo poo. I was just roaming around the southern part of amanaka for some tapir hides, ran out of hunter's instinct syringes. I find some, craft two and inject it as soon as I quit menu. I look around me to see if I can find some silhouettes of tapirs and... not even 5 meters away from me, I see an outline of a tiger, slowly making itself towards me through the knee deep foliage. I take some steps backward and to see if it stops tracking me if I make enough distance from it. Nope. It's got its eyes right on me, tail down, stalking me a good 30 meters away. I don't know if that's usual business in Far Cry but drat, tigas.

Tigers are absolute fuckers. They seem to pop up where other animals are a lot on the first island, which makes you have to be really cautious when doing early hunting quests.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

gibbed posted:

I haven't looked at the map editor that much at all, care to elaborate?
Nevermind, I went and took a look at the hidden options and made a patch to enable them as well.

Four of these options don't do anything because the code for them is no longer there (*Dump map, *Extract Bigfile, *Export to PC, *Export to Console).

*Code Editor is the most interesting, because it actually looks like it's intended for creating scripts to generate maps. Here are the two existing scripts the editor uses: mainland_mountains.lua and tropical_islands.lua.

*Import world looks like it also be useful if I can get it to work.

The others I'm not too sure about, *Object admin lets you edit object inventories but the usefulness of that is questionable.

Edit: add scripts.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 2, 2012

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Tigers are absolute fuckers. They seem to pop up where other animals are a lot on the first island, which makes you have to be really cautious when doing early hunting quests.

Also when you're trying to stealthily take an outpost and get mobbed by a tiger and bunch of cassowaries when your animal repellent just runs out.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I hope that since guns like the 1911 can have a silencer in multiplayer, that gibbed's tools will allow people to maybe bring them over to single player. The 1911 is so much cooler and shinier than the other handguns and I hate that it's pretty much worthless because it can't be silenced or used on ziplines. :(

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

I hope that since guns like the 1911 can have a silencer in multiplayer, that gibbed's tools will allow people to maybe bring them over to single player. The 1911 is so much cooler and shinier than the other handguns and I hate that it's pretty much worthless because it can't be silenced or used on ziplines. :(

The 1911 absolutely can be used on ziplines and one of the signature weapons is a 1911 with a silencer, red dot sight, etc. etc.

I don't use it, because the red dot sight ruins it for me, but it's there.

But yeah, it is bizzare that the very first 'tier' of weapons don't have attachments.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Hey gibbed, please mod in the ability for tigers to follow you into vehicles. tia.
gibbed, make this just with tigers and FC3 instead. (And sharks and cassowaries)

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I kind of wish the skills became feral powers near the end of the game. The powers they give you are cool, but it would be so loving sweet to run at the privateers lightening fast and then claw them to death :rock:
Like you did in Far Cry: Instincts? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6t557jZz0U

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

The 1911 absolutely can be used on ziplines and one of the signature weapons is a 1911 with a silencer, red dot sight, etc. etc.

But yeah, it is bizzare that the very first 'tier' of weapons don't have attachments.

Well I didn't think it could be used on ziplines because its description doesn't say so and the other handguns do. I didn't know about the signature weapon but yeah, the red dot sight is lame and also I like being able to use the camo of my choice.

My guess about the first tier of weapons not having mods is that they wanted to give people a sense of progression as far as the guns go. Like, the stats for most of the later ones are straight upgrades over the previous. I've said it before but I would have preferred a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat-like approach where all the weapons are balanced with each other so what you use is effectively just up to preference. Hopefully modding can make it happen.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 2, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

Like, the stats for most of them are straight upgrades over the previous ones.

I honestly wouldn't put much stock into those stats; most of the early-game guns remain relevant and very usable until the end of the game.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Oh yeah, it's not a big deal or anything since people die so fast anyway, but it's not the way I would've done it, personally.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Jesus loving christ. I was just slowly driving my lovely little boat through this swampy area in the dark of the night and I spot this friendly walking to the rivers edge without a care in the world. I drive by him and moments later hear this sound, not unlike a scream and quickly glance behind me to see his legs disappear beneath the water. So I loop back around to have a look as I see his corpse floating to the surface. It's eerily quiet at this point and I have a bit of a look around, bow in hand. No movement to be seen. So I smartly jump in the water to check out the corpse (as you do) and not a second later this big gently caress off crocodile grabs onto me and I drat near shat my drat pants. I stabbed the bastard to death but hosed if I didn't jump right out of my skin.

Absolutely loving this game.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I think this game had completely bugged out on me and I can't continue the story at all. I'm at the bit where (I've kept spoilers vague, no real story stuff) you have to wait atop a water tower to ambush a group of people with a c4 laden fuel truck. It says to wait atop the water tower until the truck explodes. So I wait, the convoy comes in and it keeps auto-failing the mission saying something along the lines of "you shot at the convoy before we had a chance to ambush" even though I did no such thing. It keeps happening over and over again and I have no idea how to get past it. Anyone else having a similar issue?

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

They don't allow you to remove the sight? :cripes: I was looking forward to relive MGS 3 somewhat with a 1911 with just a silencer...

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

Lugaloco posted:

I think this game had completely bugged out on me and I can't continue the story at all. I'm at the bit where (I've kept spoilers vague, no real story stuff) you have to wait atop a water tower to ambush a group of people with a c4 laden fuel truck. It says to wait atop the water tower until the truck explodes. So I wait, the convoy comes in and it keeps auto-failing the mission saying something along the lines of "you shot at the convoy before we had a chance to ambush" even though I did no such thing. It keeps happening over and over again and I have no idea how to get past it. Anyone else having a similar issue?

I had the same issue, but after many attempts I finally figured it out. You drove to the mission area, right? And you parked your car right in front of the church. When the convoy hits the car, your mission fails. Just move your car and you'll be fine.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

Oh yeah, it's not a big deal or anything since people die so fast anyway, but it's not the way I would've done it, personally.

Yeah, it's completely bizzare. I don't know why they did it that way. I still got plenty of use out of the 1911, but still. Like, why? It's so strange.

It's right up there with making all the weapons early-game imported and second-hand and stuff and then visually making the AK-47 a pristine, modern, railsed-up piece of poo poo.

Kringy posted:

They don't allow you to remove the sight? :cripes: I was looking forward to relive MGS 3 somewhat with a 1911 with just a silencer...

Can't customize the Signature Weapons, sorry.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Nev posted:

I had the same issue, but after many attempts I finally figured it out. You drove to the mission area, right? And you parked your car right in front of the church. When the convoy hits the car, your mission fails. Just move your car and you'll be fine.

Nope, I ran there. There was nothing in the way at all.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

Lugaloco posted:

Nope, I ran there. There was nothing in the way at all.

Oh, odd. I was sure I knew what was causing your issue, sorry about that. Is there anything else parked in the path of the convoy? Other vehicles, rebels?...

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Nev posted:

Oh, odd. I was sure I knew what was causing your issue, sorry about that. Is there anything else parked in the path of the convoy? Other vehicles, rebels?...

Turns out you were right but in a bizarre way. There was a bugged out rebel wandering near the bridge in the middle of the road that I had to kill since he was getting run over by the convoy and counting as an attack. So weird, but you were right. Cheers :)

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

Lugaloco posted:

Turns out you were right but in a bizarre way. There was a bugged out rebel wandering near the bridge in the middle of the road that I had to kill since he was getting run over by the convoy and counting as an attack. So weird, but you were right. Cheers :)

Haha, nice. Glad I could help, that mission was driving me insane as well.

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Can't customize the Signature Weapons, sorry.

aha drat... would've been an icing on an already sweet, sweet cake. Thanks for the info.

I was really surprised by how they implemented the poker game in this game. I thought it was going to Fallout: NV poker game where you don't really get to see much of anything except the cards. I was really impressed by how they showed all the little hand movements from shuffling the deck, handing out the cards, covering your hand while you peek, raking in the chips!

They have individual chips tumbling when the players rake them in to his side of the table. gently caress. You can also free look in the middle of the game and look at the players around the table. When one of them ends up broke, they either exit the room grumbling or stand by the table. I haven't tried cheating on the games yet - I don't even know if it's possible. And I don't even like poker...

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Can anyone tell me why Far Cry 3 isn't on the UK steam!?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Kringy posted:

I was really surprised by how they implemented the poker game in this game.
My favorite part is that everyone at the table takes a turn at being dealer, including yourself. Which is pretty cool since you get a view of the dealing animations from your viewpoint.

Edit:

Flayer posted:

Can anyone tell me why Far Cry 3 isn't on the UK steam!?
Because UK retailers are scared of big bad Digital.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 2, 2012

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
For all the people saying to play on Hard, I'd actually disagree.

The first island is pretty easy sure, as you face unorganized pirates, and are usually on the same tier as them weaponswise. They also tend to be overaggressive, and will just charge you rather then go for the alarm.

The second island is much more difficult, and features enemies that will learn from your tricks and start to avoid them, and will go for the alarm at any sign of trouble. And if that alarm sounds, you are in for a world of hurt, as it'll call in at least 3 waves of new guys, a helicopter gunship, and at least 5-6 brutes.

If you like things to be harder, sure hard fits, but for those saying hard is normal, you are going to have some very unpleasant surprises in the last 50% of the game.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Is there a consensus on the best platform to get this on as far as performance and multiplayer population? I have a 360 and a pretty good PC that I bought to be able to play Battlefield 3 on the highest settings, so I don't think that'd be a problem.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This game makes Captain Planet cry.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
PC is hands-down the best, it seems.

Also I've done five or six outposts on the second island with my usual "snipe everyone" approach and they've never gone for the alarm when they spot a body, even on hard. They'll fan out and search really aggressively, but that's it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Danyull posted:

Is there a consensus on the best platform to get this on as far as performance and multiplayer population? I have a 360 and a pretty good PC that I bought to be able to play Battlefield 3 on the highest settings, so I don't think that'd be a problem.

PC.

360 has a number of framerate issues, and the PC version is obviously the definitive version. Also the vast majority of this thread bought the PC version, so if you want to do Co-Op with goons, it's going to be the correct version.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Rookersh posted:

360 has a number of framerate issues, and the PC version is obviously the definitive version. Also the vast majority of this thread bought the PC version, so if you want to do Co-Op with goons, it's going to be the correct version.
Speaking of which, should we start a list of UPlay names somewhere?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

gibbed posted:

I'd be interested in that, though I think it might be best to wait till the 4th. My Uplay is Default137

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 2, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah I guess. Gotta get some names on that blank leaderboard! UPlay account name (ugh) Yodzilla

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Holy poo poo, I just got eaten by a crocodile, that was a proper jump scare, haven't had that for years.

My heart is still racing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I ran into a crocodile the first time I stepped in a river. I was expecting it, too, because I knew that crocodiles were 1) in the game and 2) opportunistic assholes.

I haven’t seen another croc outside of a mission.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I did a mission where you blow stuff up and at the end it says to take cover. So I figured I'd run in the water to be safe. Hadn't heard that there were crocodiles in the game before that :)

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Holy poo poo, Jason is really going off the deep end. I just had a random conversation in the cave with Daisy and he asked her about winning a swimming competition. And then he went off about killing people. "The first time I killed someone I felt bad. That's good, right? Now when I kill someone...it feels like winning."

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

Rookersh posted:

The second island is much more difficult, and features enemies that will learn from your tricks and start to avoid them, and will go for the alarm at any sign of trouble. And if that alarm sounds, you are in for a world of hurt, as it'll call in at least 3 waves of new guys, a helicopter gunship, and at least 5-6 brutes.
I finished the game on Hard and this is only true if you don't use the incredibly overpowered tools the game gives you. The silenced .50 cal sniper is a heavy-murdering death machine that breaks the AI with its range, explosive arrows destroy groups without giving away your position and the signature SMG does amazing damage. The perception syringe allows you to survey the base easily so you don't get surprised by hidden chargers rushing your position.

Whenever the game gets hard it's basically just because you're not using the stuff you're given. When all else fails you can just zerg everything and abuse the fact that you can carry like a hundred medicine syringes in the form of green leaves.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Is there freeroam after finishing the main set of missions, or do I have to finish all the side stuff before doing the last mission?

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

whowhatwhere posted:

Is there freeroam after finishing the main set of missions, or do I have to finish all the side stuff before doing the last mission?
You can go back to freeroaming, the game even says so before you start the final mission.

Damone
May 3, 2009

gibbed posted:

Make a google doc and throw it up somewhere, maybe also start a Steam group? Either way, my Uplay handle is DamoneTI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

gibbed posted:

We should, add me as akulaaz for coop shenanigans.

• Locked thread