Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

StabMasterArson posted:

Anyone know how to get to the Map Maker in the PC version? I just can't seem to find it :psyduck:

In your steam library, next to the search field there's a drop down menu, go from 'all games' to 'tools' and the map editor will be in that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

StabMasterArson posted:

Anyone know how to get to the Map Maker in the PC version? I just can't seem to find it :psyduck:

There should be a FC3Editor.exe in the bin folder.

UraniumFuelElement posted:

In your steam library, next to the search field there's a drop down menu, go from 'all games' to 'tools' and the map editor will be in that list.

That works too...

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I had to buy it retail because the UK hates digital, so no Steam for me :smith:
Thanks for the help!

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

ShinAli posted:

Luckily, a lot of the XML parsing for *Import World seems to be in the editor. Given the map file format is figured out, the World stuff can be converted over to XML?
It's possible, whether I want to extend the effort is another story. :v:

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
I'm not understanding how any of you guys have trouble with stealth. Do you guys not remember that there is a throw rocks button? You can literally lure every guy in the game away and out of sight and murder them with your knife by using rocks.

In fact, this is whats disappointing, everything is too easy to kill because theres too little of it to kill. Going in guns blazing shooting everyone isn't difficult either because the ai is predictable and always works in tiny groups, how powerful all your guns are, and the stupid wallhacks the game gives you just make it even easier and then when you add in the fact that random animals come in and do half or ALL the work for you at times it becomes kinda stupid.

Other than the camp dogs which gently caress up your stealth approaches (lure them away with rocks then shoot them with arrows), random herds of komodo dragons or other animals loving with you (which are great) the game becomes far too simple and easy. Every outpost is held with roughly 6 guys. Every patrol is usually 2 guys. Regardless of the difficulty, the number of dudes seems to remain the same. Maybe this feels difficult enough on console, but on PC it feels like they forgot to include the second half of army cause i'm tossing rocks and running laps around the base as I murder everyone methodically in the same way I do at every base.

I love this game, don't get me wrong, but it pisses me right off because it's like i'm playing the skeleton of what could be an AWESOME, engrossing survival/guerilla warfare fps that is hampered by just being too simple and easy. I crafted and bought all the guns I wanted before I had even beat 3 or 4 story missions and then there was little challenge left. There are all sorts of relics and items and little things to find throughout the game but there is no incentive to discover them because XP comes easy, money comes easy, and loot comes easy and there simply isn't enough poo poo to spend the cash on.

I wish the AI was more complex, I wish random garrisons of troops en masse would travel through checking on and reinforcing camps. I wish the AI could hold their own against a drat wild dog or cassowary a little better. I wish suspicious/recently attacked areas would be searched by platoons with dogs (then i'd have a reason to use my c4 and mines!)

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

NaDy posted:

This game is amazing. The thread has lots about the gameplay and how awesome it is. It also has a lot of talk about VPNs because the game isn't out in North America yet. I'm pretty sure it comes out on the 4th, so less people are able to talk about it. If they are, they are using a VPN to get around this issue, hence all that talk. Chill out and get the game.

Part of the issue is what genre the game is. I'm used to Generic Console Shooter #82301 threads where the thread population balloons up at release and then quickly dwindles. Games like this that are primarily PC because of modding and PC just being better basically will naturally have more questions about installations and whatnot. But I've been burned and nearly burned a couple times this season by AAA games that were way overhyped and ended up sucking and it would definitely help relax the iron grip I have on my dollars if people would post more screenshots and stuff like what's above with the :buddy: and :swoon: icons, both for that reason and the fact that it's more fun to read at work

Thumbs Up Dude
Aug 25, 2006
What's the alternate path to the docks on the doppelganger mission? I tried to swim to the boat but I fail the mission as soon as I step out of the water.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out, but my god that is the worst level in the game. Whoever was part of letting that into the final game should be fired.

Thumbs Up Dude fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 3, 2012

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Quick question, didn't see it in the last few pages. Is there a way to lower the horrible bloom on the lit scopes? I love the M-14 in the game, but all the sight options for it have this ridiculously horrible bloom that takes up the whole drat sight picture and usually means I can't hit poo poo with it outside of guesswork.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Naturally Selected posted:

Quick question, didn't see it in the last few pages. Is there a way to lower the horrible bloom on the lit scopes? I love the M-14 in the game, but all the sight options for it have this ridiculously horrible bloom that takes up the whole drat sight picture and usually means I can't hit poo poo with it outside of guesswork.

That annoys me too. At night I can't see a thing through the optical scope.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Thumbs Up Dude posted:

What's the alternate path to the docks on the doppelganger mission? I tried to swim to the boat but I fail the mission as soon as I step out of the water.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out, but my god that is the worst level in the game. Whoever was part of letting that into the final game should be fired.

I had almost all the upgrades when doing that mission, so it was pretty much a breeze for me.

McMyke
Mar 3, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I still have yet to have a group of any animal attack while I'm doing my thing. one time I accidently shot a bear's cage open, but I was right next to it so I switched to my shotgun and blew it's brains out.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

McMyke posted:

I still have yet to have a group of any animal attack while I'm doing my thing. one time I accidently shot a bear's cage open, but I was right next to it so I switched to my shotgun and blew it's brains out.

That's your path to salvation. Scope out the camp beforehand and shoot open the cage with something silenced from a distance. Hilarity will ensue.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dave Mustard posted:

I love this game, don't get me wrong, but it pisses me right off because it's like i'm playing the skeleton of what could be an AWESOME, engrossing survival/guerilla warfare fps that is hampered by just being too simple and easy. I crafted and bought all the guns I wanted before I had even beat 3 or 4 story missions and then there was little challenge left. There are all sorts of relics and items and little things to find throughout the game but there is no incentive to discover them because XP comes easy, money comes easy, and loot comes easy and there simply isn't enough poo poo to spend the cash on.

I wish the AI was more complex, I wish random garrisons of troops en masse would travel through checking on and reinforcing camps. I wish the AI could hold their own against a drat wild dog or cassowary a little better. I wish suspicious/recently attacked areas would be searched by platoons with dogs (then i'd have a reason to use my c4 and mines!)

I agree with this. The gameplay between the main quests and just randomly exploring leaves a lot to be desired. Capturing Outposts and Radio towers are the exact thing every time and entirely predictable. It's almost a grind at this point because the only variable is location (which isn't even that varied except as a coordinate in space). AI could be better and there should really be a lot more enemies. One clip of a sniper rifle is enough to finish off an outpost :(

My nitpicks:

Side Quests:The quests you get from finishing an outpost are your typical run-of-the-mill recycled sandbox shovel-quests where you either Drive Somewhere Really Quickly or Kill X Target With a Knife. There is no reason to do either of these two because exp/money is easy to get and they're exactly the same every drat time. The Path of the Hunter ones are cool though because you at least get a unique reward to finish crafting and are entertaining/different.

Maybe I'm just spoiled from Borderlands 2 who nailed the side-quest system where each one had easter eggs/some story/voice acting/unique reward/memorable moment with them.

Skills: A lot of skills seem pointless (2x as much pelts, extra breathing, some of the takedown ones, etc). I also hate how they lock you out as I had something like +9 skill points just sitting unused because I hadn't plowed through the main missions and couldn't spend them; which I thought was kind of lovely.

Loot/Exploration ItemsI saw that after like the 20th relic or so to get the signature weapon, there isn't much of a reason to bother collecting those. All those chests are rather useless too because of how little money matters thanks to radio towers giving you everything so there is very little reason to go around looting them unless you're OCD about your map. I'd rather have much less quantity and more quality about them.

Crafting: Crafting equipment was pretty shallow, but a nice concept in theory. It's easy to max (or at least 3rd tier) of everything and then once you're done there is no reason to bother hunting animals. Perhaps if you could use pelts to create your own armor (with varying degrees of effectiveness) or rig together traps then there could be more depth and interest in the system. I don't mind the Syringe crafting except the fact you can only equip 2(!) and it's annoying as poo poo to go through your menu to use the other ones.

Weapons: Who isn't carrying a Bow and Arrow? I feel like they should have just started you off with one because it's really the defining weapon in the game and your enjoyment goes down 30% if you aren't shooting a shark with an arrow. Bow, Signature Weapons and/or Silenced Weapons are all that you need so there isn't much need for all those other random SMG/LMGs/etc.

Fortunately everything else about the game is stellar, but the open-world elements are a very large portion of the game and should have been done a lot better. So just to cut down on some of the hype, it's not GOTY by any means, but it's good and a lot better than I expected. I would say 87/100-ish is fair.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 3, 2012

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Baggins posted:

That's your path to salvation. Scope out the camp beforehand and shoot open the cage with something silenced from a distance. Hilarity will ensue.

I was sad that they seem to be able to take down bears and leopards quite easily. Tigers though... :rms:

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I just spent 9.95!! posted:

Part of the issue is what genre the game is. I'm used to Generic Console Shooter #82301 threads where the thread population balloons up at release and then quickly dwindles. Games like this that are primarily PC because of modding and PC just being better basically will naturally have more questions about installations and whatnot. But I've been burned and nearly burned a couple times this season by AAA games that were way overhyped and ended up sucking and it would definitely help relax the iron grip I have on my dollars if people would post more screenshots and stuff like what's above with the :buddy: and :swoon: icons, both for that reason and the fact that it's more fun to read at work

I bought the deluxe editions of Assassin's Creed 3, Hitman: Absolution, and Far Cry 3. FC3 is a million times better than AC3 and HMA combined, and I expected that to be the case. I even bought an expensive new PC for FC3 that has been in RMA Hell for a month now. I didn't expect HMA to be so awful though. I didn't like the past Hitman games, but I thought HMA would be less like Hitman and more like Splinter Cell based on the videos. Some people really, really hate AC3 because they seem to encounter more bugs than I do, but in my opinion, AC3 is no worse than the previous AC games, of which all were filled with bugs. So, for me, FC3 > AC3 > HMA.

Also, FC3 is an FPS/RPG like Dead Island... just not disappointing.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

StabMasterArson posted:

I had to buy it retail because the UK hates digital, so no Steam for me :smith:
Thanks for the help!

Wait, what? Is the box game not Steam compatible? Is that everywhere or just the UK?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Adraeus posted:

Also, FC3 is an FPS/RPG like Dead Island... just not disappointing.

And gets even more points for having cassowaries.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I'm getting a lot of stuttering and lag, even when played on medium settings. I have a 6870. Anyone else getting this? I wouldn't have thought it'd be that harsh on my computer. It's certainly playable, just not very smooth at all. V-Sync is on, AA on 2.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Danyull posted:

Wait, what? Is the box game not Steam compatible? Is that everywhere or just the UK?
Everywhere. It's not a Steamworks game.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm getting a lot of stuttering and lag, even when played on medium settings. I have a 6870. Anyone else getting this? I wouldn't have thought it'd be that harsh on my computer. It's certainly playable, just not very smooth at all. V-Sync is on, AA on 2.

Try turning off AA? I'm playing on a 6850 and have most settings on high or more IIRC.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm using Nvidia, but turning off AA ingame but forcing it on the driver profile seemed to work.
Looks the same, no stuttering.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Is there any way to stop entire enemy convoys descending on you every time you stop for a breather? I just want to stop to do some hunting without jeep after jeep full of red shirt dudes attacking me.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Praseodymi posted:

Is there any way to stop entire enemy convoys descending on you every time you stop for a breather? I just want to stop to do some hunting without jeep after jeep full of red shirt dudes attacking me.

Clear out nearby enemy outposts? They stop once you do that.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think this is a continuity hack. When you pick up a weapon, you get all your customizations on it. It would be a bit weird that all the guys you meet happen to have your exact customizations, so they give a first tier of weapons that can't be customized (1911, AK, SVD, etc).

Nope. There's enemies who carry weapons that can be modded. They're very rare, though.

Remf
Jun 28, 2008

REALLY NOT FEELIN UP TO IT RIGHT NOW. SORRY.

Praseodymi posted:

Just crouch in some bushes and you'll be completely invisible to them.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Remf posted:

Just crouch in some bushes and you'll be completely invisible to them.

Also: Don't travel the roads near uncleared encampments.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Praseodymi posted:

Use silent weapons if you want to hunt in dangerous areas.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Xaris posted:

Side Quests:The quests you get from finishing an outpost are your typical run-of-the-mill recycled sandbox shovel-quests where you either Drive Somewhere Really Quickly or Kill X Target With a Knife. There is no reason to do either of these two because exp/money is easy to get and they're exactly the same every drat time. The Path of the Hunter ones are cool though because you at least get a unique reward to finish crafting and are entertaining/different.

Maybe I'm just spoiled from Borderlands 2 who nailed the side-quest system where each one had easter eggs/some story/voice acting/unique reward/memorable moment with them.

I think the thing with the sidequests is all about expectation. I haven't been disappointed with the sidequests because I followed the game's development enough to know what they'd be. But, for whatever reason, Ubisoft has included the ridiculous "It's like Skyrim with GUNS!" Machinima quote into the advertising, when that's not the case at all. This isn't an RPG. The structure of the game is a lot more Grand Theft Auto than Elder Scrolls.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Cardboard Box posted:

I think the thing with the sidequests is all about expectation. I haven't been disappointed with the sidequests because I followed the game's development enough to know what they'd be. But, for whatever reason, Ubisoft has included the ridiculous "It's like Skyrim with GUNS!" Machinima quote into the advertising, when that's not the case at all. This isn't an RPG. The structure of the game is a lot more Grand Theft Auto than Elder Scrolls.

You're probably right. Like I said, I was just coming from recently beating Borderlands 2 and so I really wanted a system like that except on an island. For similar reasons, I didn't enjoy the open-world side-quests aspects of GTA/Prototype/RDR/etc.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cardboard Box posted:

I think the comparison works alright because the vast majority of sidequests in Skyrim were the same old bullshit. At least FC3 is up front about it.

e: I do think a pretty valid criticism of Far Cry is that you, the player, are required to put in some effort to get any variety out of the side missions/outposts, etc. If you just use the same weapons and tactics and approach every one in the same way, then, yeah, it's going to be a tedious, boring game. Try things like limiting yourself to one stealth weapon and commit to it, or use nothing but grenades to clear an outpost. Try sticking some C4 on a quad and fling it into an outpost. To date I think my biggest disappoint with this game is that pigs are not able to be used as a C4 delivery system.

v That's why I tried it. v :smith:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 3, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

DrNutt posted:

To date I think my biggest disappoint with this game is that pigs are not able to be used as a C4 delivery system.

Holy poo poo being able to strap explosives to an animal and send them running towards a group of enemies would be both hilarious and awful.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

DrNutt posted:

I think the comparison works alright because the vast majority of sidequests in Skyrim were the same old bullshit. At least FC3 is up front about it.

e: I do think a pretty valid criticism of Far Cry is that you, the player, are required to put in some effort to get any variety out of the side missions/outposts, etc. If you just use the same weapons and tactics and approach every one in the same way, then, yeah, it's going to be a tedious, boring game. Try things like limiting yourself to one stealth weapon and commit to it, or use nothing but grenades to clear an outpost. Try sticking some C4 on a quad and fling it into an outpost. To date I think my biggest disappoint with this game is that pigs are not able to be used as a C4 delivery system.

v That's why I tried it. v :smith:

You're right that you can be creative in your own ways of clearing outposts; however, the game punishes you because you get less xp if you aren't stealthy and there is one skill that is locked out if you don't clear 2 outposts undetected so they're sort-of pigeon holing you into a small amount of approaches. But those are mostly minor details.

But you can't do that with the side quests. To kill a target, you have to use a knife (I usually just rambo in, slice him, and run out to save time); you have to drive a vehicle through pre-determined route of flares; and you have to kill animals with the weapon given.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Xaris posted:

You're right that you can be creative in your own ways of clearing outposts; however, the game punishes you because you get less xp if you aren't stealthy and there is one skill that is locked out if you don't clear 2 outposts undetected so they're sort-of pigeon holing you into a small amount of approaches. But those are mostly minor details.

But you can't do that with the side quests. To kill a target, you have to use a knife (I usually just rambo in, slice him, and run out to save time); you have to drive a vehicle through pre-determined route of flares; and you have to kill animals with the weapon given.

I did say it was a valid criticism, but you have to do like, 2 out of 18 outposts using stealth to unlock that particular skill, and you'll get plenty of XP playing the game normally (though it's not like the game tells you this).

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Speaking of outpost clearing, what is the best way to viciously murder heavies? I can't seem to ever get take downs on them (I don't have the skill either) and they seem immune to bullets. Am I just not shooting them enough, because if that is the case it will cause horrible flashback memories of bullet sponge mobs.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cardboard Box posted:

This isn't an RPG. The structure of the game is a lot more Grand Theft Auto than Elder Scrolls.

Action RPGs and action-adventure games tend to be similar; however, whether a game belongs to the one genre or another depends on the focus of the gameplay. Action-adventure games will center on the adventure game elements whereas action RPGs will emphasize the RPG characteristics.

I'd classify Far Cry 3 as an action RPG alongside Borderlands 1 and 2, Dead Island, and the Deus Ex series, but Steam lists the game in the action-adventure genre, which includes Grand Theft Auto IV, the Assassin's Creed series, and LEGO: The Lord of the Rings. Steam views Skyrim as strictly an RPG.

The problem with genres is that they're primarily used to help consumers find games, not as a tool for comparing them. We're better off saying "this game is like that game" because "this game belongs to this genre because that game does, too" adds another layer of abstraction that will only muddy the waters.

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 3, 2012

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

DrNutt posted:

I did say it was a valid criticism, but you have to do like, 2 out of 18 outposts using stealth to unlock that particular skill, and you'll get plenty of XP playing the game normally (though it's not like the game tells you this).

I would say there are enough outposts with high cliff walls and easy visibilty that camping out with a suppressed sniper rifle can get you two of them easily. If you're really worried you can leave a couple on the first island to come back to with better weapons/skills.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

In general I am loving this game but the level where you have to get to the helicopter after Voss attempts to drown you was an exercise in frustration. The design is really weird and I can't figure out what the developers actually expect you to do. At first I figured you are meant to stealth your way through it, but there is a time limit to get there, which more suggests that you're meant to run through guns blazing. Except you start off with no weapons and run out of ammo really fast after stabbing the first few guys. Trying to do it stealthily is a pain because you are forced to go one route. At one point I tried to go around a rock to get to a better vantage point, and the game stopped me from doing so because I was "leaving the mission area". At that point I literally yelled "gently caress you" at the computer screen. This was after having died about 15 times in a row.

That one level just seems to stick out like a sore thumb. I guess the Painkiller-style giant boss battle shortly after almost redeemed it for me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

TheTrend posted:

Speaking of outpost clearing, what is the best way to viciously murder heavies? I can't seem to ever get take downs on them (I don't have the skill either) and they seem immune to bullets. Am I just not shooting them enough, because if that is the case it will cause horrible flashback memories of bullet sponge mobs.

C4.

My Rambo run through is now complete; I have killed a helicopter with an exploding arrow.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Do you have to use stealth when clearing out compounds to get the maximum experience points? I loving hate stealthing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm getting a bug where if I alt-tab out of Far Cry, I can't move my mouse at all when I tab back in. Anyone else getting this or know how to fix it?

• Locked thread