Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sakurazuka posted:

Tales of games are too anime but you like Disgaea and Persona? :psyduck:

Yeah it's complicated.:sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

Well I just started the FIFA 13 demo and got the announcer from the center speaker so everything's working correctly. I guess Nintendo just botched the test thingy.

Do you have any way of testing Netflix to see if you can get sound out of the center speaker? I live in the US so I can't test out the FIFA demo.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

OK this sound poo poo is driving me nuts. First of all, what order are the five chimes in the system menu supposed to be playing, because I can't find an answer for that. Secondly, my receiver (Sony STR-DH520) supports 7.1 LPCM via HDMI and everything else I got hooked up to it via HDMI works just fine I should be set, right?

For me, the chimes go front left, front right, back right, back left and then all at once. The center speaker stays silent though, which is odd as hell. I even found a guy on GameFAQs who posted the same thing (with the same receiver). This wouldn't be as hard to figure out if Nintendo had actually made any of their games 5.1 but I don't have anythine here to test it out with.

I have a Pioneer SC-07 and I'm getting the same results as you doing the chime test.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Belle Isle Tech posted:

Do you have any way of testing Netflix to see if you can get sound out of the center speaker? I live in the US so I can't test out the FIFA demo.

Just verified that the Netflix app is only outputing 2 channel audio.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I can't, we don't have Netflix in Germany. At this point I'm willing to accept that Nintendo just coded a dumb test and their games are lazy with sound.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Legdiian posted:

I think Netflix is mostly stereo only unless the title has the "5.1" next to it. Speaking about Netflix/Wii U I wish they'd let you turn off the controller when watching something.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I agree with that, but my best bet is that Nintendo intentionally doesn't let you do that to force the game pad. Or maybe they just didn't think of that, because they are Nintendo.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Safe Driver posted:

I think Netflix is mostly stereo only unless the title has the "5.1" next to it. Speaking about Netflix/Wii U I wish they'd let you turn off the controller when watching something.

I checked a list of HD/5.1 movies on Netflix and selected "Ceremony (2010)" for testing.

The Wii U was most definitely 2 channel.

Tested on my 360 and it was 5.1

I don't think this is a huge deal as I'm not using my U as my main Netflix player, but it is kind of a bummer.

I was about to test a way to shut off the game pad in Netflix (I think you can hit home and put it to sleep, then use another remote to navigate back the movie). While in the Netflix app I pressed a button on the Wiimote and it flashed but never connected. I tried this a few times. I hit the Home menu on the gamepad and exited back to the main Wii menu. When it loaded I pressed a button on the Wiimote. Within a second or so the player 1 LED lit up. About a second later it hard locked :(

I hope this is all stuff that is patchable.

DigitalDud
Sep 6, 2005

Safe Driver posted:

You can put the controller into a sleep mode to save battery power. Open the Home menu and Controller Settings, then just hit "Display Off".

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

DigitalDud posted:

You can put the controller into a sleep mode to save battery power. Open the Home menu and Controller Settings, then just hit "Display Off".

Not from Netflix.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

DigitalDud posted:

This didn't work when playing Mario. It did for a little bit then went back to mirroring the display. So weird.

DigitalDud
Sep 6, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

This didn't work when playing Mario. It did for a little bit then went back to mirroring the display. So weird.

Yeah I'm trying it out in different places and it seems busted. It's like they added in a sleep mode and a bunch of games/apps didn't get the memo.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Will the Wii to Wii U system transfer require a blank SD card? The only one I own is the 4GB one that came with my 3DS. Is it smart enough to create a partition, or will it just format the drive during the process? I'd rather not lose my 3DS saves and data.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Gunder posted:

Will the Wii to Wii U system transfer require a blank SD card? The only one I own is the 4GB one that came with my 3DS. Is it smart enough to create a partition, or will it just format the drive during the process? I'd rather not lose my 3DS saves and data.

It didn't seem to remove any of the extra stuff I had my SD card, but if you're worried I would just copy everything onto the computer and put it back on afterwards.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Gunder posted:

I did the transfer on the 2GB card I used on my Wii for Virtual Console/WiiWare games just fine. Granted, I had to then delete and re-download all the games to the card after the transfer, as it wouldn't let me play any of those games otherwise.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

You can't use the gamepad's sleep mode if you're actually playing with the gamepad. Pressing buttons brings the display back up - if you wanted to do that, you'd need to play with a Wiimote and turn the display off. Unless that's what you were doing, then :iiam:

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Legdiian posted:

Thanks for testing. I wouldn't mind that it doesn't come through as 5.1 discrete, but it would have been nice if it let you at least use Dolby Pro Logic II instead of forcing you to do 2 channel audio. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that when you use Netflix with a PS3 or Xbox 360 it'll output Dolby Digital 5.1 (or Dolby Digital Plus), but since the Wii U doesn't support Dolby Digital or DTS, it comes out as botched version of surround LPCM?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
oops

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 3, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Look harder at that post

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Robolizard! posted:

Look harder at that post

I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS poo poo (oops)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gunder posted:

No, I used the same SD card as my Wii one which is loaded with Homebrew poo poo. None of it was touched.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
The animation sequence in the Wii transfer apps might be the best thing I've seen so far on this console. Can't believe they spent that much time on a one-time only sequence.

Also, now I can't wait for Pikmin 3.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Artix74 posted:

You can't use the gamepad's sleep mode if you're actually playing with the gamepad. Pressing buttons brings the display back up - if you wanted to do that, you'd need to play with a Wiimote and turn the display off. Unless that's what you were doing, then :iiam:
No, I'm playing with another person only using the Wiimotes and the gamepad will turn on shortly after I put it to sleep.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The more my friends and I play Nintendoland the more and more we enjoy it; even the people who don't like video games. We all think it's better than Wii Sports.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

So I bought a Wii U Deluxe for my younger brother as his Christmas present, and I was so intrigued by it I sort of wanted one, too.

The next day, I found another Wii U Basic that I picked up along with a copy of ZombiU.

I have to say I am impressed with ZombiU so far, I was expecting a basic FPS but it's certainly much, much more than that. I don't know about the replay value but so far I have been having a blast with that game, and how it handles online play is...interesting to say the least.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Do you think Nintendo'll ever let us install games into the harddrive ala Xbox? Would be neat if you got a 1 TB HD and it could potentially help eliminate some of the hardlocking problem people have been reporting.
Also, how's the Wii U version of Mass Effect 3? Never played a Mass Effect game, but I wanna get as much use as possible out of the system.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Also, how's the Wii U version of Mass Effect 3? Never played a Mass Effect game, but I wanna get as much use as possible out of the system.

It has framerate issues that are nonexistent on other platforms. It is also at full price, and you can get it much cheaper on PC.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

Do you think Nintendo'll ever let us install games into the harddrive ala Xbox? Would be neat if you got a 1 TB HD and it could potentially help eliminate some of the hardlocking problem people have been reporting.

Honestly, you'd be better off getting the new release that has the entire trilogy bundled together on PC/PS3/Xbox (select where appropriate).

Pryce posted:

The animation sequence in the Wii transfer apps might be the best thing I've seen so far on this console. Can't believe they spent that much time on a one-time only sequence.

Also, now I can't wait for Pikmin 3.

Same. I'm hoping that we'll get to see that environment turn up in Pikmin 3, even if only as some sort of multiplayer area.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

axeil posted:

The more my friends and I play Nintendoland the more and more we enjoy it; even the people who don't like video games. We all think it's better than Wii Sports.

I hated wii sports but I like Nintendoland.

Bobnumerotres posted:

It has framerate issues that are nonexistent on other platforms. It is also at full price, and you can get it much cheaper on PC.

It is kind of a ripoff to buy those ports for the wii U at this point. I got darksiders 2 with the dlc for about $20 on steam during the sale.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chernabog posted:

It is kind of a ripoff to buy those ports for the wii U at this point. I got darksiders 2 with the dlc for about $20 on steam during the sale.

It's really hosed up that they're charging 60 bucks for these games. Especially Batman:AC. Game is amazing but it's old and I got it with all the DLC for ten bucks.

vvv Wait, you can't just be on the pad and them on the Wiimote? Oh my god.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 3, 2012

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I really hope Nintendo patches in couch co-op for Mario U that doesn't require you to play in Boost mode. When my buddy and I wanted to play, I had to pull out both of my Wiimotes, and he couldn't even use the classic pro controller I had plugged into his. I ended up just placing the Wii U gamepad on its charge cradle while we played some proper co-op.

"Proper co-op" meaning both of us are characters on the screen, running around and trying to throw one another into pits, of course.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Calaveron posted:

Also Mass Effect 3 is bad, and Mass Effect 2 is literally transcendent. Highly recommend 2, then just imagine in your head how cool the trilogy could end, and do not play ME3.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Man-Thing posted:

Also Mass Effect 3 is bad, and Mass Effect 2 is literally transcendent. Highly recommend 2, then just imagine in your head how cool the trilogy could end, and do not play ME3.

Or just play up to the suicide run and fail it by having everyone die so Shepard dies in the process of destroying the last boss..

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

axeil posted:

Watching Game Grumps play it made me wish I bought a Deluxe but then I realize I don't have a Jontron living in my house to make it a two player experience.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Watching Game Grumps play it made me wish I bought a Deluxe but then I realize I don't have a Jontron living in my house to make it a two player experience.

The single player games are fun (and difficult!) enough to make it worthwhile even if you never touch the multiplayer games. But the multiplayer games do seem to be the best of the bunch.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
NintendoLand certainly loses something in single-player. Moreso if you don't have a MotionPlus handy, since that means you can only do the arrow/ship type gameplay in Zelda and Metroid.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

NintendoLand certainly loses something in single-player. Moreso if you don't have a MotionPlus handy, since that means you can only do the arrow/ship type gameplay in Zelda and Metroid.
I haven't even tried those out yet, 90% of my Nintendo Land time has been in DK Crash Course.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

japtor posted:

I haven't even tried those out yet, 90% of my Nintendo Land time has been in DK Crash Course.

That last little ledge right at the end gets me every time :argh:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I still haven't been able to play the multiplayer :smith:
I need to get me a motion plus too, I just have the regular wii motes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReliableSand
Apr 28, 2008
So I've been following Wii U post launch. Arin and John from GameGrumps did a video for Nintendo Land's Zelda battle mode and John from the video made it super clear that the sword fighting in the game was the best 1:1 sword fighting he ever played. Better than Skyward Sword. I'm curious to hear from anyone here who can confirm this. Does Motion Plus on a Wii U just work that much better (in particular, better 1:1 sword play than Skyward Sword and Wii Sports Resorts)?

If so, why?

• Locked thread