Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DeathBySpoon posted:

Spoiler tag how you get the new bad end? Also, for the bonus dungeon, do I have to have Marie in a romantic relationship or just maxed? I already went with Chie and don't want to have to put up with a depressing Valentine's day- I can just get the dungeon on round 2, if so.

For the bonus dungeon just max the link I believe.

As for your second question (don't mouse over this unless you've beaten vanilla P4). On 12/5, choose Adachi as the killer, but then choose the new option to keep quiet to protect Adachi (only available if you've gotten to Rank 8 with him. Ranks 7 and 8 are automatic.). There'll be a bunch of dialogue choices after this, to get the bad ending go along with Adachi and don't try and pin the murder on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I just go this game, and I heard they made like a ton of balance changes. For someone who's already beaten the original, would hard be a good starting difficulty for this version?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Dr. Fetus posted:

I just go this game, and I heard they made like a ton of balance changes. For someone who's already beaten the original, would hard be a good starting difficulty for this version?

I'd say so, if only because I'm finding normal quite easy.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Dr. Fetus posted:

I went through on Normal and the game was much easier than what I remember from the PS2. Bosses in particular were taking a fraction of the time and I was steamrolling everything with 2-3 dungeons left. If you've been through P4 and remember bosses, builds, and good personas, go for Hard.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Anyone know where you can find the items to make the +50% EXP items from the pub at night? I need Magatsu Xandrite (I have 4 but don't know where I got them) and Ryugu Stones, which I have none of.

You get Ryugu stones through a mini-quest at the bar at night. Talk to the gem lady there, I think once you have some insects in your inventory, to get an option to feed her fish insects. After about 5-6 it'll spit out a Ryugu stone and grow a bit, at which point you need to feed it a better insect. It starts with the ladybugs you get at the start and goes up all the way to the Genji Beetles you need for the Sea Guardian; at that point it'll keep handing you Ryugu stones for Genjis.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Thanks for the answers. I've got one more question- when is Adachi supposed to be available? I just finished the August dungeon and I've only been able to get to rank 2.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DeathBySpoon posted:

Thanks for the answers. I've got one more question- when is Adachi supposed to be available? I just finished the August dungeon and I've only been able to get to rank 2.

He goes back and forth between being available at night and day. During the day he's at Junes, at night he's in the south of the shopping district.

You can't spend time with him if someone's in the TV.

Cha
Dec 10, 2006

Wow, I'd never heard the old Chie. How could anyone prefer her to what we got? Good lord.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I've got a question (alternate costume and post-dungeon 3 spoilers) when you put Teddie in an alternate costume where he's out of his suit, does the HUD or his dialogue portrait for when you hit square and pick "talk to the others" change to reflect it? I know the other alternate costumes don't change any of that stuff, but it seems like it would be a lot more jarring to talk to human Teddie and the dialogue portrait is a bear.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Cha posted:

Wow, I'd never heard the old Chie. How could anyone prefer her to what we got? Good lord.

Old Chie had some awkward reads, it has to be said, especially in the early game. Later on she warms up to the role, though, and really nails most of her lines. I'd say she's never quite as good as the rest of the cast, but then the rest of the cast is freaking awesome.

The old voice just sounds much more natural than the new one. Though I did laugh at New Chie's reading of when Yosuke bribes her after stealing her lunch. "Steeeak?! :syoon:"

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Cha posted:

I think part of what irks me about her new voice is that sometimes Chie's portrait art will just be her "chill" face, but her voice will be screaming and nasally and it doesn't fit at all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cha posted:

People get weird attachments to things. I tested my friend's "The original Japanese voiceovers are always better" theory on Eternal Sonata and laughed my rear end off at the way one of the female VAs would inappropriately scream every line and take an audible breath every few words.

I went into the Persona series cold with P4G and from comparing the two VAs for Chie I think the new one is definitely much better at interpreting the lines and character correctly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I started off hating Old Chie, but as I played more I grew to quite like her. She actually sounded like an (albiet maybe a little too old) tomboy. The New Chie, to me, just sounds like SUPER HYPER GENKI GIRL GRANDPA I HAVE RADICAL-6. I'm getting used to her, though I doubt I'll ever like her as much as the old one.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, I didn't like the new voice at first but once I got used to it it grew on me. She still has the occasional reading that's too shrill/shouty, but she's good and fits the character better.

e: Although yeah, it's funny to hear her coming off of Virtue's Last Reward.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I like both voices. I don't think they're bad. Dave Wittenberg is my favorite Teddie, but I'm biased because I love Dave Wittenberg. Sam Riegel does a good job.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Grimace posted:

I like both voices. I don't think they're bad. Dave Wittenberg is my favorite Teddie, but I'm biased because I love Dave Wittenberg. Sam Riegel does a good job.

Coincidentally, I like Sam Riegal's Teddie better because I'm biased and love Sam Riegal.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The Grimace posted:

I honestly cannot -really- tell the difference between Riegal and Wittenberg's Teddies. If you had told me his voice actor was different a couple weeks ago I'd call you a loving liar.

Also who was NewChie in VLR? Because no bells are being rung here...

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

People talk about new Chie and new Tieddie, but I'm pretty sure there's a new Namatame for a couple of additional lines. It sounds very jarring and bad, as it's inter-spliced between his old voice.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

I honestly cannot -really- tell the difference between Riegal and Wittenberg's Teddies. If you had told me his voice actor was different a couple weeks ago I'd call you a loving liar.

Yeah, Riegal is a dead-ringer for Wittenberg. I can't tell the difference except for the very occasional time where he'll deliver a line differently then I remember.

NewChie was Quark in VLR.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Both Teddie voices sound identical. There's only one time they sound different: The audio mix is a bit different for Shadow Teddie. That's it.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I've been reading that the Valentines event is depressing if you have a harem (I.E. CANON YU RUN.) So, with female S.links, is there a way to max them without romancing them? If that link isn't maxed yet, is there a way I can unromance it? And while I'm at it, I just completed Void Quest but haven't activated Kanji's S.link yet. Is there something in particular I'm supposed to do? And can I still access the T.V. world during the added time at the end of the game?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Snix posted:

I've been reading that the Valentines event is depressing if you have a harem (I.E. CANON YU RUN.) So, with female S.links, is there a way to max them without romancing them? If that link isn't maxed yet, is there a way I can unromance it? And while I'm at it, I just completed Void Quest but haven't activated Kanji's S.link yet. Is there something in particular I'm supposed to do? And can I still access the T.V. world during the added time at the end of the game?

It's easy to max them without romancing, the game will give you a prompt right before a choice that will lead to you going out with a girl. Choose the obvious non-romantic option and the link will continue with some slight changes to account for the fact you're not dating.

Kanji's link is activated by talking to a girl in the practice building, who'll talk about bullies or something. Talk to Kanji on the first floor of the school after that to initiate his link.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

Quark.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah, Riegal is a dead-ringer for Wittenberg. I can't tell the difference except for the very occasional time where he'll deliver a line differently then I remember.

The lines I heard as different were "Give me your hearts!" and "swimsuit competition!" Other than that, it's impossible to tell.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
edit

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
She was Midori from Devil Survivor Overclocked. And she was also Naz and one of the Kankers in Ed, Edd, 'N Eddy at some point.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

For .hack fans like me, NewChie (Erin Fitzgerald) was also Alkaid in the .hack//GU series. That's where I know her from first, really. Oh, huh, she was also Sakubo. Been a while since I played those games.

She's been in voice acting for a long time now, but it seems like she's only recently getting more and more contracts. Here's her IMDB.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cake Attack posted:

It's easy to max them without romancing, the game will give you a prompt right before a choice that will lead to you going out with a girl. Choose the obvious non-romantic option and the link will continue with some slight changes to account for the fact you're not dating.

Kanji's link is activated by talking to a girl in the practice building, who'll talk about bullies or something. Talk to Kanji on the first floor of the school after that to initiate his link.

This is what got me with Yukiko, she's sitting here blushing and giggling and I figured "eh I'll just tell her what she wants to hear." Hoping for the 3 music notes. I really, really didn't expect that for some stupid reason.

Someone spoil it for me now, what's going to happen at valentines, I'm sticking with Chie as she's the best.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Grimace posted:

Alkaid, Sakubo

Oh yeah, she was too. And Erica in Catherine. Actually Erin Fitzgerald just did an interview with MAHQ's podcast crew, I should probably have a listen to that.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is what got me with Yukiko, she's sitting here blushing and giggling and I figured "eh I'll just tell her what she wants to hear." Hoping for the 3 music notes. I really, really didn't expect that for some stupid reason.

Someone spoil it for me now, what's going to happen at valentines, I'm sticking with Chie as she's the best.

You basically pick one person to spend time with at valentines but have to go to every other girl you're going out with and tell them you're not going out with them, and none of them take it well. That's basically it, so really the effect is only measured by how invested you are in the story and characters at that point.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

One more question, sorry to ask so many, but sometimes in dungeons I hear chains and some creepy rear end noise. I already beat the hell out of the Reaper in P3 so, assuming it is him but... I'm not getting any warnings, just chills because the sound is freaking me out.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

One more question, sorry to ask so many, but sometimes in dungeons I hear chains and some creepy rear end noise. I already beat the hell out of the Reaper in P3 so, assuming it is him but... I'm not getting any warnings, just chills because the sound is freaking me out.

The warnings will happen when you try to open a box; it's hiding in one, and there's an 'are you really sure' question.

It's safe to walk around otherwise.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not entirely certain how it works, but I believe the sound just means that a box on that floor could have Surprise Reaper inside. It's not certain, though, as I've had the sound cue show up and none of the remaining boxes had it, as well as it only show up once all the boxes on that floor are open. By itself the sound it doesn't mean anything.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheJoker138 posted:

Every time I play Persona 4 I end up making either ramen or a beef bowl. Every. loving. Time.

This is from a while ago but dammit now I want to learn how to make a beef bowl.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vaancor posted:

:ssh: Also, has anybody checked out the TV Listings option after midnight on the Vita's clock yet?

What! I never thought to do this. I love the TV section btw it's hilarious booting up a videogame music concert from a menu

Pollyanna posted:

This is from a while ago but dammit now I want to learn how to make a beef bowl.

Back when I first played P4 I stopped trying to make lunches in-game because I had no idea how to cook anything. Now I know how to cook everything, I'm so proud of myself (they changed the recipes didn't they)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Back when I first played P4 I stopped trying to make lunches in-game because I had no idea how to cook anything. Now I know how to cook everything, I'm so proud of myself (they changed the recipes didn't they)

I think some of them stick around but a lot of them are different. I don't remember california rolls being in the original, for example.

And I think the correct choices for recipes are, in fact, how you're ideally supposed to cook them all IRL.

(poo poo now i need to look up the stuff he makes ingame)

Vaancor posted:

:ssh: Also, has anybody checked out the TV Listings option after midnight on the Vita's clock yet?

All I've gotten so far is a staticy screen where you can poke and shake Teddie and stuff. Is there anything else?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
:haw: I love skill changes on the Fusion Forecast. Fused a King Frost, and his Mabufu changed to Spirit Drain.

I don't think I need to worry about SP for awhile.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I think some of them stick around but a lot of them are different. I don't remember california rolls being in the original, for example.

And I think the correct choices for recipes are, in fact, how you're ideally supposed to cook them all IRL.

I've been doing a lot of cooking in-game this time around and haven't had any mistakes or restarts with them so far. I'm pretty happy and proud about that. :unsmith: The whole time, I've just been choosing the options I would use in real life if I were to make similar dishes.

Also holy crap, Rainy Death is awesome.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nondevor posted:

:haw: I love skill changes on the Fusion Forecast. Fused a King Frost, and his Mabufu changed to Spirit Drain.

Abusing Skill Change and resetting can allow you to get Victory Cry hilariously early.

The way Skill Change works is that the skills are in seperate tiers, and Skill Change will make it a random skill in that same tier.

Fuse Kaiwan. It knows Tetrakarn. Tetrakarn is in the same ability tier as Victory cry.

Get Victory Cry in your 20s.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Dr Pepper posted:

Abusing Skill Change and resetting can allow you to get Victory Cry hilariously early.

The way Skill Change works is that the skills are in seperate tiers, and Skill Change will make it a random skill in that same tier.

Fuse Kaiwan. It knows Tetrakarn. Tetrakarn is in the same ability tier as Victory cry.

Get Victory Cry in your 20s.

I remembered that from the PS2 version, but I didn't have the patience to keep resetting. Different skills kept being selected, and Tetrakarn (if it was chosen) kept changing into stupid things like Resist Poison instead.

e: and on another note, I end up missing more days than I expect eating stuff from the fridge. It's impossible to resist.

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Can someone please list the criteria for the true and good endings?

End-game spoilers!! I tried replaying the epilogue a few times, but I always get the timeskip and end up on the train.
First time, I talked the team out of throwing Namatame into the TV, Nanako came back to life and I got a timeskip ending where Dojima asked me if I have any regrets.

Second time, I threw the prick in, Nanako never recovered, and got another timeskip.

I didn't end up maxing Nanako's Slink as I thought I had November to finish that off, I assume that is probably why.

• Locked thread