Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The rule is: post that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Groping one generation at a time
http://tinyurl.com/bncgkay

Still very much a work in progress, willing to entertain ideas for a rework on some elements or champion/epic abilities when I get around to it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Rob Heinsoo posted:

The Archmage

I was so worried we were going to get that awesome pop-up fold-out map of Horizon with transparencies and MC Escher aesthetics. Thank god for another not-Elminster! Fantasy's long shortage of all-powerful NPC wizard write-ups is finally over, I'm glad someone is finally brave enough to step up to this challenge.

Seriously, this is very disappointing. Between the obvious :rolleyes: LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY CHARACTER aspect, wasn't the appeal of the Icons that they're only sketched in and your group creates them?

E: Second read, it doesn't look as much like what it looked like. That's good!

moths fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 3, 2012

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Pyradox posted:

Is there an easy changelog I can reference?

There is no changelog for this version, sorry. Chamber of Mazarbul has posted the changes that they think are the coolest: http://thechamberofmazarbuldnd.blogspot.com/2012/11/13th-age-delayed.html

Jalathas posted:

I don't think we're voting for I Hate This Town, pretty sure that's determined by the lowest of this vote. So mission accomplished.

Untrue! Backers vote on I Hate This Town from the list of towns that didn't win Paint The Town. We're planning on posting that poll later this week.

waderockett posted:

How would you handle a fast-moving, non-lethal, bare knuckles bar fight?

NinjaDebugger posted:

Just make it clear to your players at the start that everything is nice and nonlethal until somebody pulls a real weapon.

moths posted:

Treat everyone involved as a Mook with their level in HP. In a brawl, it's generally accepted that you'll only takes one or two punchs.

Thanks for the advice! I ended up treating non-named NPCs as a 50 hp mob of mooks. Reducing a mook to 0 hp knocked them out of the fight. Using deadly weapons and non-cantrip spells would turn it into a Real Fight. (Chairs, tables and tankards were entirely legit.) Unarmed damage was 1d4+STR, chairs 1d6+STR and tables 1d8+STR.

Rob Heinsoo dashed off some additional mechanics for us to test, so you may see brawling rules in 13 True Ways!

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
About how long does the adventure in the back of the PDF take? Can you get a decent amount done in a single 3-4 hour session?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

cbirdsong posted:

About how long does the adventure in the back of the PDF take? Can you get a decent amount done in a single 3-4 hour session?

I started running this last night, and got about halfway through in two hours. I believe at a good clip you should be able to finish the whole thing in four hours

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

waderockett posted:

There is no changelog for this version, sorry. Chamber of Mazarbul has posted the changes that they think are the coolest: http://thechamberofmazarbuldnd.blogspot.com/2012/11/13th-age-delayed.html

Awesome, thanks.

That terrain trick really stood out to me when I was looking through - I'm a sucker for those kinds of free-form narrative abilities. I'm actually trying to set up a 13th Age game with some of my friends who aren't familiar with them - one guy who wanted to play a barbarian was pretty much sold on Ranger once he saw the cool talents they got.

Actually I'd be interested in seeing a similar thing for fighters, maybe in the form of environmental attacks:
You'd describe a feature of the environment that you can use to do additional damage or apply an appropriate status effect to a nearby enemy. For example "There's a low hanging branch that I can slam a guy into to daze him" or "The rocky wall has a particularly jagged patch that will give me a bonus 1d4 damage to an enemy I hit who is close to it" or "I can slam this guy through the nearest table, forcing him prone". So it's less about a stunt or a trick, more about the fighter noticing tactical opportunities in the environment and using them to their advantage. You could balance it by rather than making up the effects, applying the benefits of any given flexible maneuver without having to meet the roll requirements. Because I'm of the opinion flexible maneuvers are great, and anything that lets you use more of them will make the fighter more fun.

Situational weapon use also seems pretty interesting. I wonder if you could use those rules to simulate the effectiveness of different damage types as well - i.e: Certain creatures shrink your damage die if you're not using a certain type of weapon/dealing a certain type of spell damage. It'd be an interesting alternative way of doing resistance/vulnerability.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Pyradox, you fiend! I've been plotting a 13A space supplement for months now... Was keeping it under wraps, though. Oh well. :(

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

mepstein73 posted:

Pyradox, you fiend! I've been plotting a 13A space supplement for months now... Was keeping it under wraps, though. Oh well. :(

Hell yes. The more space the better.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Kenderama posted:

I started running this last night, and got about halfway through in two hours. I believe at a good clip you should be able to finish the whole thing in four hours

Excellent. Is there a solid set of pre-gen characters floating around somewhere?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

cbirdsong posted:

Excellent. Is there a solid set of pre-gen characters floating around somewhere?

Not for that adventure. If you need some level 2 characters, here is a group of PC's I made for a convention. (And before anyone mentions it - I stole lots of great ideas from everywhere when I made these. :) )

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

cbirdsong posted:

Feel free to use the 1st-level characters from my own campaign: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/blackmarch/characters

They just got an incremental advance so they're not completely baseline 1st-level, but they're close enough.

Now that the rules are finalized with v6, I'll see if we can get some official pre-gens worked up.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

waderockett posted:

Feel free to use the 1st-level characters from my own campaign: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/blackmarch/characters

They just got an incremental advance so they're not completely baseline 1st-level, but they're close enough.

Now that the rules are finalized with v6, I'll see if we can get some official pre-gens worked up.

Wade, let me know if you want an assistant on that. I'd be happy to lend a hand.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Currently the only place in the book that mentions defenses scaling with level is The Benefits of Leveling Up, chapter 6 page 221. I think it should be added to the descriptions of defenses and how they're calculated in chapter 2, page 35 as well. I just had a player notice her defenses weren't keeping up.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

General Ironicus posted:

Currently the only place in the book that mentions defenses scaling with level is The Benefits of Leveling Up, chapter 6 page 221. I think it should be added to the descriptions of defenses and how they're calculated in chapter 2, page 35 as well. I just had a player notice her defenses weren't keeping up.

Doesn't it say in the section for each defense that your level is added to them? Or is there actually a separate scaling mechanism I missed?

Edit: Upon rereading, yeah - it just says add 1 at first level, not add 1 per level.

Pyradox fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 6, 2012

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Are there any resources for pre-made dungeons? My group ended up in a living dungeon last session and I was able to improvise a few silly rooms* but I'd like to have something more appropriate for next session.

*They held court over a swashbuckling orc scout who had been captured by the minions of the dungeon. One player was the prosecuting attorney, one was the defense attorney (who did his very best down-home Country Lawyer impression), and the last character was the bailiff/judge. The defense put up a good fight (namely that the only evidence against the defendant was heresay from a pantomiming roper) but, as we all know, adventurers are murderous sociopaths, so the orc was executed very messily.

Strontosaurus fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 6, 2012

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

It's homebrew time!

I was playing a 13th Age one-shot with some people in the Dozens of Dungeons thread and upon finishing we got to talking about icon relationships. Specifically we didn't find them all that useful, or really understand how to use them. The adventure was already basically mapped out, so there weren't too many places it felt appropriate to include them. Perhaps it works better for a long form campaign, but there's still the fact that each roll has a 2/3 of nothing happening, which isn't failing forward, or really fun for anyone.

So what can we do to make it both more useful and more accessible without just letting the players run the thing into a chaotic nightmare?

Here's what I'm going to try.

The gist of it involves three changes to how things work:

First, you can roll for multiple things - including pooling your dice, allowing another player to temporarily alter the kind of relationship they have or using your connections with one icon to get some specific aid against another icon.

Second, each number on the d6 does something. Often those things are complications. 1-2 typically comes up short, 3-4 has a short or long term cost while 5-6 are unambiguous successes that could pay dividends in the future. The kind of relationship you have affects which set of results you use, with positive ones being about support, negative ones being about conflict, and conflicted relationships picking from one of the two.

Third, there's a rough description of the kinds of favours you can try to get. The guidelines as such are like a blank canvas, I've tried to give some more specific categories and examples of how they could pay out.

There's some more detail in the link there, but it's far from a complete solution, and may make the icon rolls too useful. I've limited them not to each session but to each full heal up in order to ration them a bit and try to make them a bit more special. Still, I think it's a step in the right direction to remove some of the ambiguity and non-results, especially for players who aren't really familiar with the system, and don't really see the utility of the rolls.

Edit: Apparently I'm an idiot and linked the wrong thing.

Pyradox fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 6, 2012

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Strontosaurus posted:

Are there any resources for pre-made or dungeons?

Check out the one page dungeon contest: http://campaignwiki.org/wiki/DungeonMaps/One_Page_Dungeon_Contest_2012

Incredible resource for quick, inventive dungeons. Check out past years too and you're bound to fund something useful.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I was thinking about this game earlier today when I stumbled on a writeup I'd started for the Design An Icon Contest, but I'll post about that idea later. The other idea I had was that I really, really appreciate the unspoken challenge the Icon system poses within the game.

Icons are sort of timeless characters, or roles that are forced onto people inside the gameworld of the 13th age through historic cycles that are apparently dictated by the material circumstances of the universe the game takes place in (that is to say, explicitly by means other than divine mandate). While a "surface reading" of the game seems to suggest that a logical goal of a campaign might be to destroy or take the place of a particular Lich King or Crusader, I really appreciate the suggestion (that probably is mentioned, somewhere) that the real challenge the Icon system poses to players is to create a world where the Icon is unnecessary; to attack the circumstances that give rise to Dwarf Kings, and to unmake the social magical and economic systems that give rise to Elf Queens. Killing the Emperor is impressive, but making the Emperor impossible is a truly heroic feat. This might be face-palmingly obvious to everyone else, but to me it seems like a really capital-r Revolutionary premise.

lessthanpleased
Sep 18, 2012
If you email me at lessthanpleased at gmail dot com I can email you a bunch of pregens that I used for a one shot. They're not all mathematically correct (a few were rushed results of downleveling other characters) and all were made with the last escalation edition, so you'll have to tinker with them. But I'm happy to share them. I can't post attachments, otherwise I'd just post them here.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

moths posted:

Is the final PDF going to be printable without images / backgrounds? I'd love to print out the class section in a half-size booklet for reference. If there aren't changes, I can use the latest playtest - but it would obviously be better to use the release rules.

I emailed Simon about this. He said, "We are intending to make the final laid out version available without backgrounds as an option, though I can’t guarantee it. There will be an ebook version. There may be minor changes between the final laid out ms and v6, but nothing of importance."

Kenderama posted:

Wade, let me know if you want an assistant on [making official pre-gens]. I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Thank you, I appreciate the offer. Rob says that official first-level pre-gens are in the works and he's going to ask the editor to revise them so they reflect v6 rules.

General Ironicus posted:

Thanks, I added this to the Pelgrane forum thread for errors and inconsistencies in the draft. If any of you see something that needs correcting/improving, I'd be grateful if you'd post it here: https://www.pelgranepress.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=167&page=2

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I was thinking about this game earlier today when I stumbled on a writeup I'd started for the Design An Icon Contest, but I'll post about that idea later. The other idea I had was that I really, really appreciate the unspoken challenge the Icon system poses within the game.

Icons are sort of timeless characters, or roles that are forced onto people inside the gameworld of the 13th age through historic cycles that are apparently dictated by the material circumstances of the universe the game takes place in (that is to say, explicitly by means other than divine mandate). While a "surface reading" of the game seems to suggest that a logical goal of a campaign might be to destroy or take the place of a particular Lich King or Crusader, I really appreciate the suggestion (that probably is mentioned, somewhere) that the real challenge the Icon system poses to players is to create a world where the Icon is unnecessary; to attack the circumstances that give rise to Dwarf Kings, and to unmake the social magical and economic systems that give rise to Elf Queens. Killing the Emperor is impressive, but making the Emperor impossible is a truly heroic feat. This might be face-palmingly obvious to everyone else, but to me it seems like a really capital-r Revolutionary premise.

Actually wasn't obvious to me and this seems cool as gently caress.

Question: Has anyone created any homebrew races who would be interested in sharing any racial powers that they've made?

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Overemotional Robot posted:

Actually wasn't obvious to me and this seems cool as gently caress.

I got the whole cosmic enforcement idea, but I didn't get the "create a world without icons" which is actually an awesome idea for an ongoing campaign.

lessthanpleased
Sep 18, 2012
Yeah, it's very Unknown Armies. Which means I like it. I kind of assumed Epic level games would amount to de facto "Godwalker" cabals from UA, but I definitely like the aspect of declaring war on an abstract concept to nullify it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

That's really nifty, I'll have to have to incorporate that.

Now, I have a question. My crew has historically liked megadungeons. The town outside exists to sell loot, and the dungeon is the whole of the campaign. If it goes high enough, it can be an existential threat, the four elemental evils, whatever. What I'm having trouble with is trying to fit icons in a dungeon. Most of them seem tied to continents and realms, and having 13 factions in a dungeon might be overwhelming.

Any advice?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You don't have to go with 13 icons, for one, especially if you're making custom icons for your campaign.

I'd start with figuring out things you definitely want the dungeon to do and icons you definitely want to have in the game, then use those aspects of the dungeon to make an icon and use those icons to make parts of your dungeon.

So, if you want your dungeon to be about the four elemental evils or whatever, consider making icons related to those elements or the concept of elementalism. If you have an idea for a Crusader-type icon, maybe make an outpost on some level of the dungeon that's the front-lines against whatever horrible evil lies deeper within.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

LowellDND posted:

Now, I have a question. My crew has historically liked megadungeons. The town outside exists to sell loot, and the dungeon is the whole of the campaign. If it goes high enough, it can be an existential threat, the four elemental evils, whatever. What I'm having trouble with is trying to fit icons in a dungeon. Most of them seem tied to continents and realms, and having 13 factions in a dungeon might be overwhelming.

Any advice?

Only involve your player's icons in the dungeon on a factional level.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If nobody at the table cares about Icon involvement, just don't involve them. They're pretty much icing, and the game stands on its own without them.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

LowellDND posted:

Most of them seem tied to continents and realms, and having 13 factions in a dungeon might be overwhelming.

You don't have to throw every faction in, and you really shouldn't even in a normal campaign. Trying to make every Icon relevant in every campaign sounds like a good way to drive yourself crazy or waste time shoehorning in things nobody cares about.

Your players probably have Icons they like given that they assign a few points to their relationships with them. If none of your players seem to care about the Three and you can't think of a really good reason to include them, don't bother. Elves don't even exist in your game? No reason to worry about the Elf Queen. It's hard to care about all of the Icons all at once because there's a lot of them. Pick a few you have cool ideas for, work with the ones your players want to link themselves to, chances are fairly good you won't still be looking at the entire list of Icons.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

This guy has been converting Pathfinder, 4e,and 3.5 stuff into 13th Age. Player options, monsters, etc. All pretty good and worth a look: http://13persuasions.blogspot.com/?m=1

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

-Fish- posted:

This guy has been converting Pathfinder, 4e,and 3.5 stuff into 13th Age. Player options, monsters, etc. All pretty good and worth a look: http://13persuasions.blogspot.com/?m=1

:aaa: I will be making use of this.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

-Fish- posted:

Awesome stuff, I haven't had a chance to use it but I'd like to.

Also: I came up with a way to deal with players spoiled for choice by the icon rolls - I've now got 6 recommended favours in the link I posted earlier, so people can roll between those to know exactly what they're getting. So they'll be able to tell for certain "I'm getting a free* item" or "I'm getting some useful information".

*strings attached in plenty of cases, naturally

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

LowellDND posted:

Any advice?
It might be a good time to try out the icons-as-traits idea (e.g. negative relationship with Courage) idea someone mentioned before, if you don't want to use factions.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

If you're on Google+ and are into their new Communities feature, you may wish to join the 13th Age Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105266185948211782098

I hope it'll serve as a way for G+ users who are interested in 13th Age but not yet familiar with it to meet and talk to fans of the game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

waderockett posted:

If you're on Google+

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on social media, but I'm fairly certain that this isn't the optimal path for exposure. Has Facebook not yet stolen whatever functionality G+ provides yet?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on social media, but I'm fairly certain that this isn't the optimal path for exposure. Has Facebook not yet stolen whatever functionality G+ provides yet?

Trad gaming Nerds love google+, nerds don't seem to love facebook as much. I think it has to do with the idea of being able to self select who is in and who is out.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

We do have a 13th Age page on Facebook. The FB equivalent of Communities are Groups, and as someone who's worked in social media at my day job for going on five years, I can say with confidence that Facebook Groups blow goats from a marketing perspective and setting up and managing one would be a waste of time and energy.

As Red_Mage says, G+ is bursting at the seams with trad gamers. Part of it's circles, and part of it is the ability to play tabletop RPGs through live video Hangouts. Want to run D&D at 3 AM? You have a good chance of finding three or four people who'll join you. Ed Healy of Gamerati told me his Facebook traffic has all but dried up, and it's coming from Google+ now.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
So is there a reason for the rule that says you have to take all the feats for a specific [thing] if you just want one of the higher enhancements?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
So this is a campaign setting I'm working on for an upcoming 13A game. It's obviously incomplete, and the names are all random placeholders I pulled from the internet. I'd like a bit of feedback on what I have so far, so that I know if I'm heading in a good direction or not.

Comments should be enabled, so you can either post here or just leave something there, and I'm open to literally any criticism, up to and including 'this poo poo sucks, try again'.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x-QSylkgUa1ZxrtX7Y2GLW62Cwi-De3D0cAsVH-D52s/edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Groping one generation at a time

Caphi posted:

So is there a reason for the rule that says you have to take all the feats for a specific [thing] if you just want one of the higher enhancements?

Rangers can bypass the earlier feats to go for a higher one, I think the reason is to reflect specialization over cherry picking feats.

• Locked thread