Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
These are all awesome suggestions, thank you! I'm an AMD diehard but the Intel processors just look like they handle emulation a lot better. I'll probably skip PS2/Dreamcast, but Gamecube could be fun and it feels pretty lightweight in Dolphin (at least from my experience).

I'll build myself a TRUE Universal Console down the line, but this one's more for old console games, movies/tv and web browsing (with potential to upgrade waaay down the line). My personal comp is able to handle everything I can throw at it so I'm in no hurry for an upgrade.

Okay so what I'll need to fit:
Intel compatible mobo with plentiful USB ports (5-6 minimum)
Intel processor (i3 looks good unless I find a deal on something better)
Nvidia DDR5 1GB card (not going with ATI)
Huge HD or two
Simple DVD drive
PSU

Is there a smaller yet cool (temperature) case that will fit everything comfortably or should I just go with the old Antec 300 standby? Don't care about looks but a smaller profile would be nice.

Thanks for all the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Oh man, look what just came in. :smuggo:

So much :retrogames: in this picture. :smith:

Waiting for my gc component cables and my rgb adapter from ebay to show up, but for now, I'll hook up the consoles via svideo to the mini.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

The Joe Man posted:

These are all awesome suggestions, thank you! I'm an AMD diehard but the Intel processors just look like they handle emulation a lot better. I'll probably skip PS2/Dreamcast, but Gamecube could be fun and it feels pretty lightweight in Dolphin (at least from my experience).

I'll build myself a TRUE Universal Console down the line, but this one's more for old console games, movies/tv and web browsing (with potential to upgrade waaay down the line). My personal comp is able to handle everything I can throw at it so I'm in no hurry for an upgrade.

Okay so what I'll need to fit:
Intel compatible mobo with plentiful USB ports (5-6 minimum)
Intel processor (i3 looks good unless I find a deal on something better)
Nvidia DDR5 1GB card (not going with ATI)
Huge HD or two
Simple DVD drive
PSU

Is there a smaller yet cool (temperature) case that will fit everything comfortably or should I just go with the old Antec 300 standby? Don't care about looks but a smaller profile would be nice.

Thanks for all the help!

You should check out the "hyperspin project" to see a great emulator/rom set up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47GPyX80Pk8

Not sure how small you can make your machine to run EVERYTHING, but you can add/remove whichever systems you want to from hyperspin.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

Phantom Hourglass supremacy

You know what was Hitler's favourite Zelda game? You guessed it! Actually it was Spirit Tracks.

You know, if you told me there's a sequel to Wind Waker, I'd be ecstatic until I realised you were talking about one of those two.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

cosmicjim posted:

You should check out the "hyperspin project" to see a great emulator/rom set up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47GPyX80Pk8

Not sure how small you can make your machine to run EVERYTHING, but you can add/remove whichever systems you want to from hyperspin.

Holy poo poo, this would be :frogsiren: PERFECT!!! :frogsiren:

That loving Sned posted:

You know what was Hitler's favourite Zelda game? You guessed it! Actually it was Spirit Tracks.

You know, if you told me there's a sequel to Wind Waker, I'd be ecstatic until I realised you were talking about one of those two.

Granted, it's probably a lot less annoying using a mouse.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I haven't played the DS Zeldas. What was so bad about them?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

StellarX posted:

I haven't played the DS Zeldas. What was so bad about them?

Some folks do not like that you have to use the touch screen for practically everything. This did not bother me. What did bother me was the massive amount of backtracking Phantom Hourglass had. Granted, I still enjoyed the game. Haven't gotten the other one yet.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
Ladies and Gentlemen, please take care of your video games!

Before:

After:

And to contribute, this was $5 at Goodwill.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

Some folks do not like that you have to use the touch screen for practically everything. This did not bother me. What did bother me was the massive amount of backtracking Phantom Hourglass had. Granted, I still enjoyed the game. Haven't gotten the other one yet.

Yeah, the way the game used everything about the DS was the best part. That dungeon you had to go through nine times was the worst...

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

The controls were miserable. You move to where you touch on the touch screen, you attack with a quick swipe, and I think you could roll with another action, like double tap? I just remember Link never did what I wanted him to.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Salvaged Genesis!

Before:

After:

Inside:
The center of this dustball was some kind of bird feather.

urrrrrgggghh

But, all better now! This is the Genesis I use all the time.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I heard negative things about the wd-40 method of shinying up your genesis, but i forgot where.

I used armor-all on a 4 switch atari 2600 and it looked wonderful though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Something I haven't seen discussed in the OP or the first/last batch of pages: recommended controllers. It is a colossal pain in the rear end to track down original controllers for SNES and a few other systems. Are any third-party controllers any good these days? Are there retro-friendly controllers made with more modern, wear-resistant components, or is your best bet hoping to find original mostly unused controllers?

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Robolizard! posted:

I heard negative things about the wd-40 method of shinying up your genesis, but i forgot where.

I used armor-all on a 4 switch atari 2600 and it looked wonderful though.

It was cheap and unwanted when I found it, and it looks fine today.

I'd be more concerned about breathing in whatever the hell Armor-All is.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

univbee posted:

Something I haven't seen discussed in the OP or the first/last batch of pages: recommended controllers. It is a colossal pain in the rear end to track down original controllers for SNES and a few other systems. Are any third-party controllers any good these days? Are there retro-friendly controllers made with more modern, wear-resistant components, or is your best bet hoping to find original mostly unused controllers?

IMO the best controllers are always the first-party ones. It's not that hard to find a good condition SNES controller.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

univbee posted:

Depends on the system and its controllers. For some systems, even the original controllers are miserable (Atari 5200, etc) and only aftermarket options are really viable.

SNES pads are really not that rare or delicate. I see them all the time for almost nothing. Worst case scenario, they're a little gross and need to be disassembled, tossed in a sink bath of soap and water and scrubbed with a toothbrush. I tend to do a pile of controllers from one system at a time, then reassemble the nicest looking individual pieces into the nicest looking controllers, and either hang onto the others as backups, or sell/give them away if keeping more than is required is not optional (like fight sticks).

I suppose that's a bit :sperg: but the alternative is handling a grimy thing that some unwashed eight-year-old was insane about.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

If you have a favorite gamepad, you may be able to wire up some connectors to other machines. I know some people who really like the NeoGeo joysticks, and just built adapters using cords from broken controllers.

And some systems may not even need that. I play my Master System, MSX and VCS with a Genesis pad.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

univbee posted:

The only third-party controllers for the SNES that don't completely suck (I mean really suck, I'm not being super picky here) cost more than the official ones. The official controllers aren't hard to find and aren't very expensive.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Since we're talking about controllers, would any of you happen to have an official N64 controller in decent shape? None of the retro stores here carry one and I ended up having to grab one of these. I may have not played a N64 in years, but I could already tell something just feels... wrong.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I mostly get burned on the shipping, it seems. I'm going to try and track down a single seller I can buy a pile of controllers from and ship in a single lot to offset it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

iastudent posted:

Since we're talking about controllers, would any of you happen to have an official N64 controller in decent shape? None of the retro stores here carry one and I ended up having to grab one of these. I may have not played a N64 in years, but I could already tell something just feels... wrong.

There's a third-party variant that looks almost identical to the genuine article - avoid these too. You can tell the difference by the lack of "Nintendo" engraved on them (the third-party ones just have a blank indented oval where "Nintendo" would normally be).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

iastudent posted:

A couple of years ago, Play-Asia had official Japanese N64 controllers in stock, new in box. I ordered six of them, with the intent of ordering more about a month later. They sold out really fast. :smith:

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Pretty much the only thing keeping me from getting an N64 is the controllers. Even in 99 I remember every one of my friend's controllers having an incredible amount of wobble in the stick, making almost every game unplayable. Was there ever a fix for that, like opening the controller and putting a new rubber band or whatever to keep the stick stiff? (I'm sure it wasn't a rubber band)

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Consider me another person on the "Still likes 3D N64 games despite being old" train. Jump Man making his way to the third dimension was still something I enjoyed very much.

In regards to controller chat, the problem with N64 controllers is that the first-party ones, in a rarity for an older Nintendo product, don't age so gracefully since the control stick grinds itself away with repeated usage, leading to loose sticks. Sometimes people have some luck with replacing the spring(but search me as to where they even find those), but most of the time it looks like there's not much that can be done to salvage them.

Needless to say, most of the third-party ones have the same problem on top of being an inferior product to begin with. The only exception I know is that one black pad of which I forget the name, the one that looks very different as a lopsided two-pronged pad with the stick on the left side. It has a metal stick, meaning it apparently will stay good longer, and supposedly wasn't too awful in other ways.

I lost mine long before I could test this, because the cord was ripped out of it in a freak accident. ...Although maybe I still have it in one of my junk boxes, these days I'd actually know how to fix that.

Edit: Irony in that post above mine appeared while I was writing.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Yeah, they pretty much always break down after a certain amount of use. There'll have to be a fix for them eventually as more and more controllers break down, in 10 years how hard will it be to find one in good shape?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Yeah, they pretty much always break down after a certain amount of use. There'll have to be a fix for them eventually as more and more controllers break down, in 10 years how hard will it be to find one in good shape?

You can buy replacement thumb sticks

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fatpat268 posted:

Oh man, look what just came in. :smuggo:

So much :retrogames: in this picture. :smith:

Waiting for my gc component cables and my rgb adapter from ebay to show up, but for now, I'll hook up the consoles via svideo to the mini.

I don't remember, did I mod yours for digital audio? If so, what did you think?

What did you think of the system using the s-video mod I did? Did you see a huge difference from your old SNES?

oval office AND PASTE posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, please take care of your video games!

That's a terrible idea. Then you won't be able to get them for $5 and clean them up, good as new!

I love buying "as is" SNES systems on eBay because it's dirt cheap and 99% of the time it's just a broken fuse.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I couldnt find my blue NES guide book but I did find The Totally Unauthorized Guide to Yoshi's Story!

I own a bunch of N64 guides since my local EB would sometimes get rid of their old ones by selling them for a penny. I've never even owned a N64.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

cosmicjim posted:

Which by all accounts are still inferior.
In theory, the circled parts (There are 2 of the black one, x & y) could be replaced in order to fix the issue. Naturally, you'd need a good mold...

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

I'm not sure if Nintendo would still make those, so aren't we just going to run out of those too in a few years?

Also I just looked over my poor gray controller.. It's stick is so loose it can barely even make Mario run in SM64. I think my brief period of seeing how I could fare with speed runs killed this particular controller. :smith:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

take_it_slow posted:

Which by all accounts are still inferior.
In theory, the circled parts (There are 2 of the black one, x & y) could be replaced in order to fix the issue. Naturally, you'd need a good mold...

Seriously I wish someone would just make those tiny replacement parts. Even just the black pieces; the white stick has never looked worn out in even my worst sticks.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I don't remember, did I mod yours for digital audio? If so, what did you think?

What did you think of the system using the s-video mod I did? Did you see a huge difference from your old SNES?

That's a terrible idea. Then you won't be able to get them for $5 and clean them up, good as new!

I love buying "as is" SNES systems on eBay because it's dirt cheap and 99% of the time it's just a broken fuse.

I would kill for your skills and steady hands right about now. :argh:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Midnight Raider posted:

I'm not sure if Nintendo would still make those, so aren't we just going to run out of those too in a few years?

Also I just looked over my poor gray controller.. It's stick is so loose it can barely even make Mario run in SM64. I think my brief period of seeing how I could fare with speed runs killed this particular controller. :smith:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REPLACE...=item43b4ceaa24

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

This gamecube style thumbstick is not very good. It's quite difficult to position it anywhere other than the extreme edge. Even just trying to tip-toe in sm64 is much more difficult than it should be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midnight Raider posted:

You probably just need to replace the spring in it. It's not to hard to open (nor are there any complex parts within), so you could just remove the old spring and go look for something similar.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You probably just need to replace the spring in it. It's not to hard to open (nor are there any complex parts within), so you could just remove the old spring and go look for something similar.

I've never heard of those springs going bad, but it would be easy enough to test. If it was the spring, the stick would still register a full range of motion even if it's not supported straight up (so you would constantly be turning if it's flopped to the side). When it's the black pieces grinding away, it essentially creates one big dead zone in the floppy area.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hopefully someone will just make a PS2 to N64 adapter and we'll never have to use those bad controllers again.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

The Hori Mini Pad supposidly is the bee's knees.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Harlock posted:

Hopefully someone will just make a PS2 to N64 adapter and we'll never have to use those bad controllers again.

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter/index.php?category=Adapters#tab2

Not endorsing this necessarily as I haven't used it myself, but this looks like a pretty good solution (Gamecube to n64).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The entry from last page about the old strategy guides reminded me of the old VHS tapes I had that were proto Let's Play, where the person would do a summarized walkthrough of certain games. There is several of them, but the only tape I had was this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuvmEeIvU1U

The rest of the tapes actually got re-uploaded on Youtube here, including the rest of that tape.

• Locked thread