Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Wii U Discussion - Just buy everyting on Steam.

Shards of Fate posted:

Is the extra Nintendo content in Scribblenauts for the Wii U worth buying it over the 3DS version? I already have the 3DS version.

I just finished my playthrough of scribblenauts and the nintendo specific stuff didn't seem to add a whole lot. Also since you are dealing with Nintendo characters they are limited in some ways, you can't make Mario carry a machine gun and whatnot so that takes some of the fun out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Isnt the object editor absent in the 3DS version?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

Wii U Discussion - Just buy everything on Steam.

When companies are trying to rip people off by charging full price for games that are available for half/less that elsewhere, yes.

Alternatively, Wii U Discussion - Buy If You Can't loving Wait For Nintendoland, or Just Wait For Monster Hunter.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Seeing Steam mentioned here/everywhere is getting beyond old. I don't care about Steam. Sales are cool and all but still, don't care.

How's Ninja Gaiden? I know it's a revamp of a supposedly terrible game but is it still worth it if I want a good gory hack and slash on the Wii U? Honestly if its 60 fps, controls well, and is generally fun then I think it's what I want.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

katkillad2 posted:

you can't make Mario carry a machine gun and whatnot so that takes some of the fun out of it.

I'd love to see it myself, because characters acting out of character is pretty amusing to me. Nintendo (and any company with a mascot really, unless you're Sega) are incredibly militant about how their characters are portrayed in anything though. Just working in art assets on strat guides from them involves lots going back to them for approvals (and then getting rejected because you put Shy Guy in a position they feel is more prominent on the page than Mario is).

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

Kilometers Davis posted:

Seeing Steam mentioned here/everywhere is getting beyond old. I don't care about Steam. Sales are cool and all but still, don't care.

How's Ninja Gaiden? I know it's a revamp of a supposedly terrible game but is it still worth it if I want a good gory hack and slash on the Wii U? Honestly if its 60 fps, controls well, and is generally fun then I think it's what I want.

The original (3) was half-baked at best, and torn apart in reviews for being far and away inferior to the previous two. The Wii U version fixes the framerate and attempts to rebalance combat a bit, but most reviews still agree that it's not enough to save the title.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Gamepad controls for Scribblenauts are what made me get the game on WiiU. There's something great about not having to sit at a computer sometimes. Now I can play in a different room or in bed if I want instead of at the computer. I also got it $10 cheaper because of a sale with helped offset the price difference a little bit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Almost Smart posted:

So from just looking around, it seems like every single one of the Wii U's big third-party ports is inferior to what can be found on the PS360. The disparity may not be huge, but it's still disappointing for what should be the 'definitive' console versions of these games.

I don't think a single one of the big western ports was done in-house or by the original devs - Mass Effect was outsourced, Batman was outsourced, Assassin's Creed/Madden/Fifa were ported by their respective b-teams, etc. Even Gearbox, who keep raving about how cool the Wii U is, aren't porting their Aliens game themselves.

tl;dr: launch titles, rushed, outsourced, cheap.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Is Nintendo doing that thing in Europe that they did with the 3DS where retailers can set the prices for their hardware and software individually? I looked at two websites for local game stores today and one store had the Wii U at €325 and games at €50 to €60, and then another store had the Wii U at €375 and games going from €62 to €69(!!!) I don't even remember seeing a game going for that amount of money since Metal Gear Solid 4! :psyduck:

I guess I know where I'll be buying all my Wii U gear, then. Although it looks like us Europeans aren't going to get anything remotely resembling that sweet $40 deal for Sonic & Sega Transformed. :(

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

FPzero posted:

The Gamepad controls for Scribblenauts are what made me get the game on WiiU. There's something great about not having to sit at a computer sometimes. Now I can play in a different room or in bed if I want instead of at the computer.
You have a pretty outdated view of what constitutes a "computer". Laptops, netbooks, tablets, etc. are all computers too and you can easily use those in different rooms or in bed as well, so your argument isn't really applicable.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Alternatively, Wii U Discussion - Buy If You Can't loving Wait For Nintendoland, or Just Wait For Monster Hunter.

The difference between Monster Hunter Tri and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is absolutely insane as well, they sell it as more of an expansion but it's tripling the content. I wish it was out here a little faster, March is so far away!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

JordanKai posted:

I guess I know where I'll be buying all my Wii U gear, then. Although it looks like us Europeans aren't going to get anything remotely resembling that sweet $40 deal for Sonic & Sega Transformed. :(

It's 30 pounds on amazon.co.uk, which isn't great compared to the US price but acceptable.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Joramun posted:

You have a pretty outdated view of what constitutes a "computer". Laptops, netbooks, tablets, etc. are all computers too and you can easily use those in different rooms or in bed as well, so your argument isn't really applicable.
I'm pretty sure he was speaking specific to his set up.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Taear posted:

The difference between Monster Hunter Tri and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is absolutely insane as well, they sell it as more of an expansion but it's tripling the content. I wish it was out here a little faster, March is so far away!

I'm pretty amazed. The difference in content between Monster Hunter Tri and P3rd alone is so massive that Tri might as well be considered a pretty good demo.

Ugh. I can't loving wait for that game to come out. I'll have to break up with my girlfriend and quit my job, unfortunately.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 4, 2012

Veotax
May 16, 2006

JordanKai posted:

Is Nintendo doing that thing in Europe that they did with the 3DS where retailers can set the prices for their hardware and software individually? I looked at two websites for local game stores today and one store had the Wii U at €325 and games at €50 to €60, and then another store had the Wii U at €375 and games going from €62 to €69(!!!) I don't even remember seeing a game going for that amount of money since Metal Gear Solid 4! :psyduck:

Nintendo got in a ton of trouble with the EU a few years back over price fixing. They're terrified of it happening again so they aren't giving any RRPs, they just sell units to retailers then it's up to the retailers to figure out what to sell them for.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Veotax posted:

Nintendo got in a ton of trouble with the EU a few years back over price fixing. They're terrified of it happening again so they aren't giving any RRPs, they just sell units to retailers then it's up to the retailers to figure out what to sell them for.

What exactly happened? I'm ignorant about EU policy in general and I thought maybe the laws were just different there and you couldn't really throw MSRPs at them.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
You know, I'm surprised that with the Wii U clock speed being revealed and all nobody made a Doc Brown 1.21 JIGGAHURTZ joke.

fivegears4reverse posted:

I'd love to see it myself, because characters acting out of character is pretty amusing to me. Nintendo (and any company with a mascot really, unless you're Sega) are incredibly militant about how their characters are portrayed in anything though. Just working in art assets on strat guides from them involves lots going back to them for approvals (and then getting rejected because you put Shy Guy in a position they feel is more prominent on the page than Mario is).
It's true... I saw a piece on Wreck-It Ralph that was talking about how Nintendo kept micromanaging Bowser's cameo and insisting that they make him bigger. Still I'm pretty sure there's still plenty of amusing things you to the Nintendo characters even without giving them guns or turning them to cheese.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gendo posted:

I'm pretty sure he was speaking specific to his set up.

Correct. My laptop is 4 years old and sometimes chugs while playing 480p videos on Youtube. Those other items are rather expensive and I can't justify buying them or upgrading my laptop especially after having chosen to buy the Wii U this year and a desktop last year.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Long John Power posted:

I installed Nintendoland and I can't see any noticeable difference. I doubt it is a very good example to use though.

Is this a thing you can do now?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Pier Solar HD is coming to Wii U now that they reached the Kickstarter funding goal.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Policenaut posted:

Pier Solar HD is coming to Wii U now that they reached the Kickstarter funding goal.

Sexy. Gonna get dat.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Policenaut posted:

No idea what this is but I guess that's good news! I hope Nintendo NOA steps up their game on the patching and update poo poo, because I'd hate for the system to have a bunch of broken games and no demos until...whenever NOA feels like.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pier Solar is a homebrew JRPG for the Sega Megadrive. I own it. It's... competent. Kinda.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

g0lbez posted:

Is this a thing you can do now?

You have to buy it from the eShop. I did this even though I got the Deluxe bundle because i hate changing discs.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

You have to buy it from the eShop. I did this even though I got the Deluxe bundle because i hate changing discs.

That's not a bad idea at all. Do you know somebody with a basic who will buy it off you?

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
Are you able to use the Wiiu as a media player? I can not find the answer to this question so I assume it is no.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Chronojam posted:

That's not a bad idea at all. Do you know somebody with a basic who will buy it off you?

I put it on eBay the day after I bought the console. I'm sure there are plenty of people with a Basic who would want it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Someone did discover some sort of workaround that let you stream MP4 videos using the browser or something, but the short answer is no.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Office Sheep posted:

Are you able to use the Wiiu as a media player? I can not find the answer to this question so I assume it is no.

Netflix and other streaming services, as well as youtube? You're good. DVD/CD player and stuff? Nope.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
So no to MP3s and other digital formats I assume?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Netflix and other streaming services, as well as youtube? You're good. DVD/CD player and stuff? Nope.

I don't know what he's referring to but I get a lot of mileage out of putting photos and home videos on my ps3. I can hook up my laptop but it's easier to use something that's always plugged in.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/04/10-things-we-want-from-wii-u

So IGN published this short article on everything obviously wrong with the system.

The software instabilities and slowness can be chalked up to release jitters, but the voice chat is the most baffling to me. Why is it game-to-game? Why is it so hard to play online with friends? Why are games allowed to lock-out the OS completely? Why didn't the classic controller pro come with a headphone jack?

I hope they fix up the voice chat and it doesn't continue to be a massive mess. If the OS is taking up 1GB of RAM, have it actually run in the background. Why do I have go all the way through miiverse and a bunch of menus before I can see my messages? etc.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yea some of those (like the "no announcements of big-name titles we all know are coming anyways") are kind of dumb but on some of the OS-level stuff it seems like they really dropped the ball. Party chat on 360 (and whatever the PS3 equivalent is, assuming there is one) should really really become standard. Even on the PC , platforms like Steam offer an almost-global chat solution and when that doesn't work there are options like teamspeak and ventrillo that have been around for years and years. You shouldn't have to rely on sources outside the medium to coordinate gameplay and it's such a weird oversight with no good excuses present.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

goferchan posted:

Yea some of those (like the "no announcements of big-name titles we all know are coming anyways") are kind of dumb but on some of the OS-level stuff it seems like they really dropped the ball. Party chat on 360 (and whatever the PS3 equivalent is, assuming there is one) should really really become standard. Even on the PC , platforms like Steam offer an almost-global chat solution and when that doesn't work there are options like teamspeak and ventrillo that have been around for years and years. You shouldn't have to rely on sources outside the medium to coordinate gameplay and it's such a weird oversight with no good excuses present.

PS3 at least, it doesn't have party chat due to OS limitations and never will. At least that's how it was years ago. I honestly never have used it on 360 so no idea. I do know Vita has some sort of deal now.

Call me an old fart but I find features like that annoying because if I'm playing a game I'm not looking to e-chat with my friends, I'd rather them talk to me later in person so we can socialize like normal people.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flyboi posted:

Call me an old fart but I find features like that annoying because if I'm playing a game I'm not looking to e-chat with my friends, I'd rather them talk to me later in person so we can socialize like normal people.

You're free not to use them.

And also to think that anyone who chats with friends in a game isn't "normal", I guess.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

You shouldn't have to rely on sources outside the medium to coordinate gameplay and it's such a weird oversight with no good excuses present.

I really hope the excuse is "Well poo poo sorry we rushed this release like hell, here it is!" and not "Nintendo has no plans to do this and are going to leave it to the individual game developers :effort:." In which case it might as well be the Wii all over again.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 4, 2012

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

flyboi posted:

I've never used it to socialize, exactly, but right now on the 360 I can log on (without even booting into a game!), see which of my friends are online, see what games they're currently playing, instantly join their multiplayer game session when applicable (if it's that kind of game and they've chosen in their settings to allow it), and/or start voice chatting with them & any other number of people I want all at once to coordinate the above.

Maybe you don't think you'd get a lot of use out of it but it's a pretty fluid system and it's great that as long as we're both sitting at our consoles I don't have to rely on my phone or my computer to organize a game with someone an start playing, and honestly it's something that would fit in great with the "one device in your living room" image that the Wii U is trying to cultivate (TVii, Internet browser, etc.) and while the 360 by no means handles it perfectly, its system has set the standard for me over the past few years.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

flyboi posted:

PS3 at least, it doesn't have party chat due to OS limitations and never will. At least that's how it was years ago. I honestly never have used it on 360 so no idea. I do know Vita has some sort of deal now.

Well, a bit part of the way people use it on the 360 is to chat with friends on the same team without having raving lunatic randoms screaming over them the entire time. It has some very practical uses.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

flyboi posted:

So you'd rather not chat with your friends while you play with them? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Sire Oblivion posted:

So you'd rather not chat with your friends while you play with them? :psyduck:

I never owned a headset on my pc until this week because I needed it for a certification training course. To be honest I don't really play much multiplayer - I'm kind of like the zero punctuation guy when it comes to it. I mostly will only play it when it's something really inventive and engaging but not annoying like the Souls series or Journey.

• Locked thread