Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

flyboi posted:

I never owned a headset on my pc until this week because I needed it for a certification training course. To be honest I don't really play much multiplayer - I'm kind of like the zero punctuation guy when it comes to it. I mostly will only play it when it's something really inventive and engaging but not annoying like the Souls series or Journey.

What the hell is annoying or uninventive about Journey? You really are a grumpy old fart, aren't you? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kiwillian posted:

What the hell is annoying or uninventive about Journey? You really are a grumpy old fart, aren't you? :v:

You should try rereading that.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

kirbysuperstar posted:

You should try rereading that.

Could use a comma in there in that case. I was just teasing anyway.

Edit: may as well add some content:

Has anyone else tried the UPlay client? Not sure if it's available in the US, but holy hell is it a complete piece of poo poo. No touch controls at all, I don't get any text or graphics, people complaining about it being very crashy etc. Ugh.

vvvvvv It's on a per app basis.

Kiwillian fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 4, 2012

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Turns out my TV has the issue where it cuts off the corners of the image, I never really noticed until setting up my Wii U tonight I guess!

I hate to ask AGAIN, because I know it was brought up earlier in the thread, but how can I go about fixing this? I've been scouring the thread to find the answer again but I can't dig it up now that I actually need it. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, the other thing: I've been having an issue where my gamepad will randomly cut out for about 2 seconds then come back in even when I'm right by the TV. I'm guessing there's something causing interference--how can I find out what's up?

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 4, 2012

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
Wow the game line up for the wii-u seems really lackluster doubly so with the shoddy ports of current gen games from other consoles. I went from being on the fence to investigating the new steam as a console thing pretty quick. Am I over looking anything besides the new monster hunter?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

dogsupremacy posted:

Wow the game line up for the wii-u seems really lackluster doubly so with the shoddy ports of current gen games from other consoles. I went from being on the fence to investigating the new steam as a console thing pretty quick. Am I over looking anything besides the new monster hunter?

Do not buy a new console unless there's something you absolutely can't miss on it. Launch hardware is for crazy people.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

dogsupremacy posted:

I don't know, the RPG by Monolith Soft? Bayonetta 2?

e: I'm assuming you're not overlooking first party IPs.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 4, 2012

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

dogsupremacy posted:

I can't think of a single system that's had a better launch lineup. There are at least 4 good games by my reckoning (Sonic Racing, ZombiU, Nintendo Land, NSMB U) and 3 of them are exclusives.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsupremacy posted:

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I don't know, the RPG by Monolith Soft? Bayonetta 2?

Pikmin 3 and Lego City: Undercover as well.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Adam Bowen posted:

I can't think of a single system that's had a better launch lineup. There are at least 4 good games by my reckoning (Sonic Racing, ZombiU, Nintendo Land, NSMB U) and 3 of them are exclusives.

While many disagree I thought Vita had a pretty sweet launch line up with a lot of exclusives - Wipeout, Uncharted, Hot Shots Golf, Lumines and Super Stardust were exclusives. I also really liked the Rayman port. Wii U the only games that really got me that were exclusives were NSMBU and ZombiU. I regret buying Scribblenauts and WO3 is fun, but existed long before on PS3/360.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It doesn't matter so much if there's a bunch of decent games, it's more about there being something you have to have. Like there were probably 7 good 360 launch games but I think a lot of people still look at that console launch, like most launches, as not being that great. I still think it was great but I'm in the minority; I just happened to like CoD2, Hexic, and Geometry Wars a whole heck of a lot.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

gently caress areas 9 and 10 in the DK game in Nintendoland. I somehow made it through Area 9 several times before I started dying repeatedly at it :psyduck: and Area 10 is just cruel because the second to last drop kills you for no reason :psypop:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

nerdbot posted:

Turns out my TV has the issue where it cuts off the corners of the image, I never really noticed until setting up my Wii U tonight I guess!

I hate to ask AGAIN, because I know it was brought up earlier in the thread, but how can I go about fixing this? I've been scouring the thread to find the answer again but I can't dig it up now that I actually need it. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, the other thing: I've been having an issue where my gamepad will randomly cut out for about 2 seconds then come back in even when I'm right by the TV. I'm guessing there's something causing interference--how can I find out what's up?

I don't know how common this will be, but if you have a fairly recent LG TV, if in the aspect ratio options there is an option called 'Just Scan', this will fix the corners being cut off.
I had it on my brand new TV and was messing around and found it out.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

gently caress areas 9 and 10 in the DK game in Nintendoland. I somehow made it through Area 9 several times before I started dying repeatedly at it :psyduck: and Area 10 is just cruel because the second to last drop kills you for no reason :psypop:

I'm finding it hard as well, I'm going to try it with the Wii remote assist feature (it says how to do this in the NL manual).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That's the same drat spot that keeps killing me as well. :argh:

Area 9's much easier if you let the cart settle in the corner before you jump to the next one.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don't think I'm ever getting my Pro Controller from Amazon. Are they that rare, or is Nintendo just not giving them controllers? I don't really need it right now, so I might as well keep the order open I think. Amazon gave me $5 in Amazon Digital Video Game credit for my troubles too, now I just need to find something to spend it on.

And for thoes having trouble on DK Crash Course, try this technique. You have to use it anyway on the next course to pass it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R2PTqh610k&t=114s

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 4, 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think Nintendo manufactured a heck of a lot of Pro Controllers. They seem to be out of stock even moreso than the console itself, and there's no way demand is as high.

I actually just got mine today, and it's pretty much what it says on the tin. The Button placement takes a little getting used to; I rest my thumb on A-X, but it feels like it's on B-Y.

Sonic Racing inexplicably uses a different button for accelerate on the Pro than it does for the Gamepad and Classic. I like that the game supports every conceivable controller, but I wish they'd put a little more thought into the options and maybe included customization.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

g0lbez posted:

Is this a thing you can do now?

There was a mixup with UK Amazon not including NintendoLand to solve it they sent everyone a download code, so I installed it with that rather than have to mess about with disks!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The miiverse community for "Family party: 30 great games" is hilarious.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
EU Nintendo Direct on 5. December at 5pm UK time for upcoming Wii U and 3DS games:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct-638747.html

So, what can we expect from this?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Folt The Bolt posted:

EU Nintendo Direct on 5. December at 5pm UK time for upcoming Wii U and 3DS games:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct-638747.html

NoE presentation, eh? More Rayman Legends footage? Yes please! :pcgaming:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Man, the Wii U version of Mighty Switch Force is great just because of Miiverse. I stumbled into a time attack war on level 8 just because I like that one a lot and posted a good time, then the creator of the game/head of WayForward beat my time and I spent a fair amount of time beating that only to have ANOTHER person do even better before I could post it and now I just beat his by a good .06 seconds and got to draw myself wearing shades and a crown. Miiverse is loving cool.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 4, 2012

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Hopefully a firm release date for The Wonderful 101.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Joramun posted:

I really hope so. It's one of the games that I'm looking forward to the most. :colbert:

absolutely anything posted:

Man, the Wii U version of Mighty Switch Force is great just because of Miiverse. I stumbled into a time attack war on level 8 just because I like that one a lot and posted a good time, then the creator of the game/head of WayForward beat my time and I spent a fair amount of time beating that only to have ANOTHER person do even better before I could post it and now I just beat his by a good .06 seconds and got to draw myself wearing shades and a crown. Miiverse is loving cool.

You just sold me on the game. I'll just have to wait until I have money to spend on it.

Goodfeila
Apr 25, 2010

Joramun posted:

That would indeed be pretty great!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Folt The Bolt posted:

Found this blurb a few places: "According to Nintendo, the show will focus on games coming to Wii U and Nintendo 3DS in the remainder of 2012 and the first months of 2013."

...so more of "launch window" stuff we at least know a little about I guess, feels like anything new would be a nice surprise.

absolutely anything posted:

Does it have it all integrated or is this all just being done through the community board?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Veotax posted:

Nintendo got in a ton of trouble with the EU a few years back over price fixing. They're terrified of it happening again so they aren't giving any RRPs, they just sell units to retailers then it's up to the retailers to figure out what to sell them for.

Oh so that's why GAME is selling WiiU games for £45/$72.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Astro7x posted:

I don't think I'm ever getting my Pro Controller from Amazon.

They're all over the place in actual brick and mortar stores. I walked into a Gamestop the day after launch and they had about 20 of each color, and I've seen them at both Walmart and Target in the weeks since.. I bought mine for Assassin's Creed 3, but the cocked up button placement resulted in me shooting a horse in the face and made me switch back to the gamepad. Nothing else I own is even compatible with it, so it was definitely $50 well spent.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Almost Smart posted:

They're all over the place in actual brick and mortar stores. I walked into a Gamestop the day after launch and they had about 20 of each color, and I've seen them at both Walmart and Target in the weeks since.. I bought mine for Assassin's Creed 3, but the cocked up button placement resulted in me shooting a horse in the face and made me switch back to the gamepad. Nothing else I own is even compatible with it, so it was definitely $50 well spent.

Do you not have Sonic?(I just assumed because of tails in your avatar). What do you mean by cocked up button placement, it's the same layout on both controllers?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ijyt posted:

Oh so that's why GAME is selling WiiU games for £45/$72.

I am starting to sound like a broken record but if you live in the €-Zone and don't order literally all your games at Zavvi you're pissing away money.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

I don't think I'm ever getting my Pro Controller from Amazon. Are they that rare, or is Nintendo just not giving them controllers? I don't really need it right now, so I might as well keep the order open I think. Amazon gave me $5 in Amazon Digital Video Game credit for my troubles too, now I just need to find something to spend it on.

I bought one at best buy no problem, though I'm kinda disappointed that toys r us has no idea when they were getting any (they weren't even on the sight, except for that initial page describing the wii u). I got that $20 groupon for toys r us and have no reason to use it =/

quote:

Sonic Racing inexplicably uses a different button for accelerate on the Pro than it does for the Gamepad and Classic. I like that the game supports every conceivable controller, but I wish they'd put a little more thought into the options and maybe included customization.

I don't really remember anything different about the control scheme for SASRT on the pro controller over the wii u gamepad - they (all controller choices) have two different control options - the gamepad and pro controller have ones with either the right trigger or A as accelerate

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is it possible your mind is conflating the pro controller with an xbox controller, and you are subconsciously hitting the xbox button layout? So you think you are hitting a different button than A, but you actually are hitting A. The main gamepad is radical different enough that your brain doesn't make this error. I've played Sonic and Assassins Creed extensively with both pro controller and gamepad, I can confirm the button layout is identical on both.

I still have to adjust when I see on screen button prompts myself however. Even though I grew up with Nintendo, one and a half years with a 360 had washed ybxa from my brain and replaced it with xayb. And that's probably not even right ad my playing with WiiU had wiped that knowledge somewhat. There are for buttons! I don't know where they are! WHERE ARE THE BUTTONS? MY GOD!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Katana Gomai posted:

I am starting to sound like a broken record but if you live in the €-Zone and don't order literally all your games at Zavvi you're pissing away money.

Zavvi's sometimes five day delivery times are horrible though, but guess I can't complain too much since they got me my WiiU on release day. In the UK ShopTo are way better and have next day delivery for free, though they've started getting more expensive recently.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

They're barely £5 cheaper and use literal snails to deliver.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ijyt posted:

They're barely £5 cheaper and use literal snails to deliver.

Depends on where you live I guess but since I don't need stuff on day 1, I gladly pay 25 GBP instead of 40€ for Layton 5 for example. Or just yesterday I ordered Sonic Racing for WiiU for 30 GBP instead of 50€. Delivery has gotten much faster too, lately, it barely takes a week to Germany.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

greatn posted:

I still have to adjust when I see on screen button prompts myself however. Even though I grew up with Nintendo, one and a half years with a 360 had washed ybxa from my brain and replaced it with xayb. And that's probably not even right ad my playing with WiiU had wiped that knowledge somewhat. There are for buttons! I don't know where they are! WHERE ARE THE BUTTONS? MY GOD!
Oh man YES. This has been bugging the hell out of me. The Xbox button letters are burned in my head, and the color association has burned them in further. Now I've got Wii U Batman throwing mono-colored letter prompts at me and I keep hitting the wrong thing.

Even the general location of confirm/cancel buttons (irrespective of labels) is reversed, so I keep fudging basic UI menu commands. Yeah Nintendo has done it that way since 1991:yoshi::mario:, but the last decade or so of gaming has me expecting the down face button ("A" on Xbox, "X" on PlayStation) to select things!

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Area 9's much easier if you let the cart settle in the corner before you jump to the next one.

Is Area 9 the one with the consecutive angled R platforms? You can go fast if you just barely tap R every time, and make sure you're not too far to the left/right in midair. If you're jumping left, you should be slightly tipped to the left in midair. If you're jumping right, you should be slightly tipped to the right. If you get the hang of the angle you should be at in midair, this becomes one of the easiest sections of the first level.

There's a shortcut through area 10:

You can fall directly off of the first platform off the right and land to the right of the ending flag. You have to be just barely moving and keep your speed consistent, but once you get the hang of it you'll be able to do it in 1-2 tries. You actually do a full forward flip and land square on your wheels. I'm able to do this more consistently than doing the area the "right" way.

I think a lot of people know about that spoiler but I don't want to assume anything.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've gotten really good at area ten the normal way. You just gotta go fast enough to not flip over the edge, then immediately lean hard the opposite direction for the last two platforms, you should stick the landing.

By the way, for as horrible as I thought twister race looked, it's my second favorite single player game atm. Video doesn't do it justice. Looks slow as poo poo, but when you're playing it it's fast as balls.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I'll admit to not actually having checked if it's switchable, but I quit the Metroid game after one mission because pushing up to steer a flying vehicle upwards is completely wrong and I can't control that poo poo for the life of me because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Katana Gomai posted:

I'll admit to not actually having checked if it's switchable, but I quit the Metroid game after one mission because pushing up to steer a flying vehicle upwards is completely wrong and I can't control that poo poo for the life of me because of it.
I thought you tilt the controller up for that? Tilting up (like a camera viewfinder) actually feels pretty intuitive to me. Up on the left stick moves you forward, and Up on the right stick raises you vertically on the z-axis, at least with the default control scheme .

• Locked thread