Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Space Hamlet posted:

I just can't get into this game, unfortunately. What's the point of giving the enemies this pretty decent AI that allows them to flank me and all that if they're always going to be on my minimap? The combat is not only less frequent than in the first two games, but mind-numbingly simple by comparison. I know most folks won't feel this way, and that's cool, but it just makes me wish I was playing Far Cry 2. A missed opportunity, since this game certainly does make some specific mechanical strides forward from that game.

Please excuse me if I show up every now and then in this thread to talk about how much I wish this wasn't the case

It certainly hasn't stopped me from playing the poo poo out of the game, but I generally agree with you. A Far Cry 3 with a more stripped down, FC2-esque HUD would be pretty rad. Hopefully gibbed will be able to work his magic with this one, it seems like one of the easier things to address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you don't know how to create shortcuts in Windows 7, I wrote up instructions here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=410216258

BenRGamer posted:

Might work for you, but it causes the same thing to happen for me. UPlay asks for a CD Key and it doesn't take the one I gave when I started the game through Steam.

That method works for many of us who unlocked the game early. We experienced those issues and more, and our resident superhero, gibbed, came to our rescue. Tell us exactly what you're doing, step by step.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Well my problems are mostly solved. Go to play until the village part and then my video card overheated, crapped out, and I had to reboot. Not going to get to play this until my new card arrives on thursday but hey at least it started up for me.

Are your video-card fans dead? I had to RMA my GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II because both fans had died, and the card was overheating on Far Cry 2's main menu. I've been playing Far Cry 3 on a mix of Medium/High with my GTS 250.

Zaphod42 posted:

But blagh is this game super loving scripted for a "sandbox game". I died 3 times in the opening sequence just because I didn't do EXACTLY as the game told me.

Is this the first opening sequence you've ever experienced? The first thing you normally do in a game is go through a tutorial. Far Cry 3 is no different in that respect.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Adraeus posted:

Is this the first opening sequence you've ever experienced? The first thing you normally do in a game is go through a tutorial. Far Cry 3 is no different in that respect.

It also has one of the quickest, as far as recent games go. I think after about ten minutes I was off to explore the island and gently caress poo poo up.

The mission reminders got to go, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Even given this is on consoles, I just DO NOT understand the "you are leaving the mission area"

So loving what?

Option A: You let me. I come around from the back. I kill the people. Who cares? I was going to kill them anyways, so I did it my way. So I had fun. Isn't that the whole POINT OF THE GAME?

Option B: I leave the mission, and come back to complete it later. I guess it would be frustrating to accidentally leave a mission when you're almost done, but no worse than DYING AND STARTING OVER BECAUSE YOU WALKED TOO FAR.

I just... I simply cannot understand it. Its not just consoles, because Consoles have to be able to render the game world. Either they can or they can't. There's no reason why a story mission would restrict that, unless they can only spawn enough enemies for the missions by restricting you, which seems untrue. You still get into fights when not on missions. Hrm.

Adraeus posted:

Thanks for assuming the worst, not like I've been playing games all my life or anything. Nope, this is my first game! Its a good 'un. :)

Dude, I gave a perfect counter-example even: STALKER. The game just loving dumps you in the world and lets you have fun. It has no misgivings about what it is, the game is open-world.

Plenty of games don't have long rear end tutorials, or make them optional.

You're telling me the GTA4 or Kingdom Hearts style 2-hour tutorial is ACCEPTABLE and has now become the norm? Oh gently caress no. HELL no.

Lets see, games I've played recently... Halo, Borderlands, Dishonored, no tutorials. Xcom, skippable tutorial. Hitman did have a forced tutorial level though. So that's 1 out of 5 games that have forced tutorial missions rather than just letting you read the manual.

The opening sequence wasn't that long, sure. And it was pretty thrilling, too. But that's not the end of the tutorial BS, they're still leading you around by the hand, constant popups of how to do basic things, and like I said earlier, I just naturally wanted to drive back to the quest guy, and I failed for not fast traveling? Even though its 10 feet? Blagh, enough tutorials!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 4, 2012

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I sort of agree that it's an open world game and mission areas are a little silly, but if you want to leave the mission area so bad, don't start the mission in the first place. It's not that hard.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah it's stupid to attribute that to consoles, it's just a bad design decision.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

coffeetable posted:

On a tangent from the racist tropes: are there any women in this thread who have completed the game? What did you think of the entire Citra thing? Because it strikes me as very much a plot written by straight men for straight men, and while that isn't in itself a bad thing - a straight white male's story is as valid as any other's - against the backdrop of almost every other game being about straight white men it's a little disappointing that such a gender-centric plot is contender for game of the year.

e: Reading that back, before criticising please take into account the "against the backdrop" bit.

Also, as a thought experiment consider the narrative had all the genders been flipped. Especially the ending, and the bit where you wake up with Citra straddling you.

Even without flipping the genders, I have to say the whole Citra thing was creepy/rapey as all get out from the get go, and the "waking up with her on top" thing was possibly the most ridiculous point in the story. In fact, the whole interaction with her and the hint that Vaas didn't leave completely of his own accord kinda made me wish there was a much earlier point with a prompt to shoot her in the face.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, guns in Farcry 2 always felt way off to me. I'm hoping with all the carnage in this one it won't bother me as much, I'll have to see how it goes as I play more. But guns should kill people in 1 or 2 hits, while in Farcry 2 I could unload on somebody with a submachine gun, several shots to chest and face, and they'd still stand and shoot back, that's ridiculous.

I also found myself testing out the 1911 against some metal targets, and I was disappointed the bullet sounds weren't quite as good as I hoped. I guess maybe I'm spoiled from STALKER, but hearing bullets pang into metal or whizz off as a ricochet is really great for immersion. Guns should have a pop...pang sound when you shoot at a metal object, with a tiny delay between the gunshot. Everything seems to have a dull bang when you shoot it in farcry 3.

Again, super minor complaints, I fully expect to not care when I'm wingsuiting at 200mph and lighting fields on fire with a flamethrower.

The guns in 3 are much, much deadlier-a headshot is a guaranteed kill with any gun, and hitting a non-armored enemy in the chest 2-3 times will put them out of commission for good. The problem with the whizz/pop-pang thing is that FC3 still has hitscan weapons and I'm pretty sure has no distance/sound travel calcs, unlike BF3/Stalker. I agree about the sounds, honestly-aside from unsilenced 416 and the sig AMR, they're pretty drat satisfying, IMO.

The last sentence nails it, though. Getting a mission where you're literally going around and burning the gently caress out of a plantation of weed while dubsteppy reggae is blasting is one of the most fun things I've seen. It's too bad you can't flame/throw poo poo when wingsuiting or gliding though.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
just make it so the enemies realize where the rocks are coming from if i throw too many, oh my god

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
So is this game unplayable for anyone else? I have a good computer, an i7 860 @2.8, a radeon HD 6970 2 gig, and 8 gigs of ram running windows 7 64-bit. But this game is completely unplayable. I get if I'm lucky 2 frames a second on the lowest in game settings.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I read that RPS article "things I hate about Far Cry 3" and while he made some good points, there's one thing that's painfully obvious:

The reason they only have 10 AI barks and some of the animals share sound effects is because this game open world sandbox game has to run on a console that may or may not have a hard drive and has less than 500 meg of RAM that was designed in late 2004.

I'm going to be glad when this generation of consoles is dead and buried because game developers are having to make really sour trade-offs to get their ambitious games running on this busted hardware. And I bought the Xbox version, for Pete's sake.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So is this game unplayable for anyone else? I have a good computer, an i7 860 @2.8, a radeon HD 6970 2 gig, and 8 gigs of ram running windows 7 64-bit. But this game is completely unplayable. I get if I'm lucky 2 frames a second on the lowest in game settings.

Reboot and then try to play the game. Report back.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Adraeus posted:

Reboot and then try to play the game. Report back.

I just tried like you said and it is still exactly the same.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I don't know if this has been discussed but has anyone found out a way to disable mission reminders when I'm in free roam?

I was desperate to free roam once i got this game, and I happily had a 10-15 minute chase sequence involving pirates and running out of ammo for two weapons. It was really fun

Expect for the top left corner kept popping up

"UM HEY YOU SHOULD TALK TO
SOME DOCTOR ABOUT SHROOMS???"

I'd love minimal HUDs as much as everyone else here but I feel like that's a priority at the moment.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

How do I add the deluxe edition code to Uplay anyway?

Edit: Found it. It's in the game itself.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 5, 2012

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I just tried like you said and it is still exactly the same.

You didn't open your browser to a website with Flash? Flash has a hardware acceleration bug that affects some video cards where the GPU clock is downclocked to a ridiculously slow speed. If this is your issue, you need to disable Flash's hardware acceleration, which is experimental anyway. If this is not your issue, check your GPU clock anyway. I don't know how to do that with AMD cards.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
So here's the problem I'm having. This is the last mission so :siren:spoilers:siren: obviously. For that reason I haven't embedded it. http://youtu.be/9ERagnaaBRE

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Morter posted:

I don't know if this has been discussed but has anyone found out a way to disable mission reminders when I'm in free roam?

I was desperate to free roam once i got this game, and I happily had a 10-15 minute chase sequence involving pirates and running out of ammo for two weapons. It was really fun

I'd love minimal HUDs as much as everyone else here but I feel like that's a priority at the moment.

Nope, this is a primary part of the HUD complaints that most of us have. At the very least, I did get a chuckle of doing all the first island unlocks while the game kept telling me to talk to "Dr. Earnhardt" because all I could think of was this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Earnhardt

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
My biggest problem with this game is that I've been spoiled by Just Cause 2.

I want to be able to a) fly airplanes, b) jump out of said airplanes c) grapple a tiger on my way down, and d) parachute into an outpost releasing said tiger and watching the results.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Update drivers? Are you running Dx9 or Dx11?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Any PS3 players chime in on their experience? Is it enjoyable/playable besides the frame rate? I'm going to pick this up tomorrow and still wondering if I should get it on PS3 or my computer with a Radeon HD 5750 (not going to upgrade).

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Adraeus posted:

You didn't open your browser to a website with Flash? Flash has a hardware acceleration bug that affects some video cards where the GPU clock is downclocked to a ridiculously slow speed. If this is your issue, you need to disable Flash's hardware acceleration, which is experimental anyway. If this is not your issue, check your GPU clock anyway. I don't know how to do that with AMD cards.

OK I disabled flash and the problem is still there. While the game is chopping about my GPU clock is 880MHz and my memory clock is 1375 MHz.

Zaphod42 posted:

Update drivers? Are you running Dx9 or Dx11?

I have updated my drivers, and I have tried in both DirectX 9 and 11 to the same results.

edit: Are there any beta drivers out for AMD?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Morter posted:

Doesn't seem to be, we're all just as desperate for it as you are.

Its such a big deal that the RPS guys actually said,

"it’s evil. It’s a force of evil. And the serious issue here is that it demonstrates something very concerning – they absolutely cannot have sat down anyone from outside the dev team to play the game before finalising it. Because any non-tiger species would have turned around and said to them, “If you don’t make this godforsaken text box stop appearing, I’m going to hunt every one of you down and put you in a zoo.” It smacks of extreme arrogance, of failing to playtest properly, or of just hating humanity."

And I'm forced to agree.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ScienceAndMusic posted:

OK I disabled flash and the problem is still there. While the game is chopping about my GPU clock is 880MHz and my memory clock is 1375 MHz.

I have updated my drivers, and I have tried in both DirectX 9 and 11 to the same results.

:( Awful! Truly awful, I'm not sure what to say. Hmm...

Do you have max prerendered frames at 1? I remember some random games had a bug that would cause extreme lag unless you forced that...

Tried both windowed and fullscreen? Low settings? (regardless of if your machine should play it on high)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Eh, really I went into FC3 having read earlier reviews that mentioned stuff about intrusive HUDs and it didn't bother me how much stuff was already on the screen.

But it's just that it keeps bothering me about a quest but I can't tell, from neither my minimap nor the M-button map, where it wants me to go to complete this quest. That's sort of silly.

But thankfully/hopefully, this game will be modded up within the week to fix all of the silly issues like that

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Morter posted:

Eh, really I went into FC3 having read earlier reviews that mentioned stuff about intrusive HUDs and it didn't bother me how much stuff was already on the screen.

But it's just that it keeps bothering me about a quest but I can't tell, from neither my minimap nor the M-button map, where it wants me to go to complete this quest. That's sort of silly.

Did you zoom all the way out? If you haven't hit the radio towers for an area, you get this blue checkerboard-ish pattern over area that is actually part of the map. If you're talking about the early Dr. Earnhardt quest, that location is way out to the west from the starting zone in an area where you haven't yet revealed the map.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Oh man. For the longest time I was having problems with stealth. I can hide from the guards just fine, but I didn't even want them to start looking for me.

After restarting a Hit quest for the third time I managed to do it. I started by thoroughly scoping out the encampment to make sure I had evey enemy tagged: a few regular guys, a heavy and the boss. I noticed that although most of the guys stayed together, one of them was further away. I lured him into the bushes with rocks, took him down and dragged his body even further away so it wouldn't be spotted.

Doing that opened up a gap in the enemy patrols so I could repeat the process for two other guards. The ones that I couldn't lure close enough for a stab got an arrow in the back. The final two enemies were the boss, who had to be killed with a knife, and the heavy. While the heavy was looking away, I distracted the boss with a rock and swooped in to knife him.

With only the heavy remaining, I snuck up as close as I could and fired a flare into his chest, killing him with a single shot.

Every enemy killed, not one alerted the others. Some did manage to notice a body but an arrow took them out before they could shout for help.

This game is great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

nexus6 posted:

Oh man. For the longest time I was having problems with stealth. I can hide from the guards just fine, but I didn't even want them to start looking for me.

After restarting a Hit quest for the third time I managed to do it. I started by thoroughly scoping out the encampment to make sure I had evey enemy tagged: a few regular guys, a heavy and the boss. I noticed that although most of the guys stayed together, one of them was further away. I lured him into the bushes with rocks, took him down and dragged his body even further away so it wouldn't be spotted.

Doing that opened up a gap in the enemy patrols so I could repeat the process for two other guards. The ones that I couldn't lure close enough for a stab got an arrow in the back. The final two enemies were the boss, who had to be killed with a knife, and the heavy. While the heavy was looking away, I distracted the boss with a rock and swooped in to knife him.

With only the heavy remaining, I snuck up as close as I could and fired a flare into his chest, killing him with a single shot.

Every enemy killed, not one alerted the others. Some did manage to notice a body but an arrow took them out before they could shout for help.

This game is great.

Snake Eateeeeeerrrrr

This is great news. I mostly planned on playing stealthy. I'm gonna be split between spider and heron upgrades I think.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Yes there is a beta driver for AMD. I'm using it with an almost identical machine and playing it in DX11 mode on Ultra at mostly 60fps.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
Alright, lots of fun but I can't stand to play anymore until somebody releases a UI hack

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I may have missed it, but is there a console specific thread? This one seems PC focused and to be honest for a game that just released today I am not seeing a lot of Console talk, so I just assume I missed the other thread maybe?

I'm downloading it on the PSn as we speak. Come on, fat pipes!!

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

:( Awful! Truly awful, I'm not sure what to say. Hmm...

Do you have max prerendered frames at 1? I remember some random games had a bug that would cause extreme lag unless you forced that...

Tried both windowed and fullscreen? Low settings? (regardless of if your machine should play it on high)

Thanks for trying to help :unsmith: . I have tried all of these things. My gfx card has been on the way out for some time. It never was as good as the day I bought it and some power surges really seemed to screw it up once a year or so ago. Some games it plays extremely well, PS2, BF3, etc but other games it seems like it can't even process it (GW2, and now FC3).

I am thinking its time to put it out to pasture and get myself a GTX 660ti. Thanks for your help, I'm off to Fry's.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The reason they only have 10 AI barks and some of the animals share sound effects is because this game open world sandbox game has to run on a console that may or may not have a hard drive and has less than 500 meg of RAM that was designed in late 2004.

They actually didn't lock down the 360 spec until mid-2005 from what I recall, which is half the reason why the graphics cards would overheat and tank the entire system.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

VogeGandire posted:

See, this just makes me want to play as Vaas more.

Finding out that Vaas never existed in the game originally and Michael Mando auditioned for a non-descript pirate role with such crazed vigour that they made the role just for him explains a lot about that character.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I am thinking its time to put it out to pasture and get myself a GTX 660ti. Thanks for your help, I'm off to Fry's.

All right. Go for the Twin Frozr version if there is one.

FYI for everyone else: You can disable Flash's hardware acceleration by following these instructions. If your games have ever been unplayable after watching a video on YouTube, for example, you should do this now and reboot.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/891337

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ok, I normally play arrow keys due to being left-handed. Thanks to this game being horrible at bindings, I need to use auto-hotkey.

code:
up::w
down::s
left::a
right::d
numpaddot::lshift
rctrl::c
numpad0::space
This causes some problems though. Sprinting is weird, sometimes it lets me and sometimes it doesn't (unless that's the actual sprinting behavior? I tried with the actual shift key and it was inconsistent too) and when alt-tabbing left clicking selects (highlights I guess) everything like I was holding down the mouse button. That only goes away when i close the game, the ahk script, and uPlay.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ok, I normally play arrow keys due to being left-handed. Thanks to this game being horrible at bindings, I need to use auto-hotkey.

code:
up::w
down::s
left::a
right::d
numpaddot::lshift
rctrl::c
numpad0::space
This causes some problems though. Sprinting is weird, sometimes it lets me and sometimes it doesn't (unless that's the actual sprinting behavior? I tried with the actual shift key and it was inconsistent too) and when alt-tabbing left clicking selects (highlights I guess) everything like I was holding down the mouse button. That only goes away when i close the game, the ahk script, and uPlay.

Sprinting tends to be kind of weird, I get the same thing sometimes, usually in towns where you have your weapons holstered. I'm using default key bindings.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

You know, one of my dream games would have a similar premise to this, except one thing:

Robots. Robots everywhere. It takes place on a tropical island full of dangerous robot of both the humanoid, beast-oid and insectoid varieties, with a few friendlies. You are essentially Tony Stark, stranded on an island full of junk, with most of that junk trying to kill you because they absolutely hate human life for some reason that you don't understand, yet you have the ability to harvest that junk and eventually turn yourself into Iron Man.

While you don't have the option of becoming Iron Man, Sir, You are Being Hunted might satisfy that itch:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1499900830/sir-you-are-being-hunted

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Adraeus posted:

All right. Go for the Twin Frozr version if there is one.

FYI for everyone else: You can disable Flash's hardware acceleration by following these instructions. If your games have ever been unplayable after watching a video on YouTube, for example, you should do this now and reboot.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/891337

Would you suggest a 660 twin frozr over a 660ti? The store nearby only has the former.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

Finding out that Vaas never existed in the game originally and Michael Mando auditioned for a non-descript pirate role with such crazed vigour that they made the role just for him explains a lot about that character.

For some reason, it makes me laugh that Mando's only previous videogame role was this:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-shaun-white-skateboarding/17-3376/ (his part at 18:28)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any way to manually turn on the flashlight? I hate that it only seems I can use it in caves.

• Locked thread