Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Another little detail I like is that you get a player's dog tags if you knife-kill them, which as far as I'm aware isn't really used for anything but bragging rights, but in most, if not all, of those animations you can actually see the killer ripping off the victim's dog tags with their other hand.

Yeah, and the trophy/achievement you get for doing it is called MIA, which always struck me as being kind of depressing :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Ugh, I'm so jealous, the delay changed it so this game comes out in North America last, so I don't get to play until tomorrow. Now I know how you guys must feel year-round. :negative:

The funny thing about this is that I'm in the US, playing on PC after unlocking on Steam via a VPN. :shobon:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
A couple more from Ace Combat: Assault Horizon: Sometimes when you shoot down a plane, you get an action shot of the plane exploding and breaking apart. Occasionally you can see the pilot ragdolling from the explosion. In another mission you're a helicopter gunner and you get attacked by an enemy chopper. When you shoot it down, you can see the blood splattered cockpit through the spidewebbed glass. :gonk:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Another really cool thing about the takedowns in BF3 is that you can knife them in the front if they're in the middle of a reload.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

burnsep posted:

I think Jacob actually says "The first transport is away!"

It also takes place on an ice planet, if I'm not mistaken, and part of the mission is getting the planetary defense cannons operational specifically so that you can escape.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Any game that lets me adjust the background music volume separately from the sound effect volume. Even in games with great music, there's just something magical about only having the game's sound effects and ambiance.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Star Man posted:

Any game that lets me adjust the background music volume separately from the sound effect volume. Even in games with great music, there's just something magical about only having the game's sound effects and ambiance.

Someone did this with a black ops mission and it's really disturbing because all you heard was people crying.

fake edit: here it is

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

One thing I love about Space Station 13 is... a bit silly, and probably nothing to do with the game itself. At the end of every round (which last about an hour, usually) everyone still alive will probably be making their way to the escape shuttle. Most of the time, there'll be a dozen or so people, all waiting nervously outside the shuttle doors, waiting for it to arrive, then running around screaming inside it in the hope that it leaves before the inevitable remaining traitor lobs a pipe bomb in.

And, without exception, everyone has their own ridiculously story to tell. Not, most likely, that they ever will.

Why does the Barman have such a grudge against the Chef that he keeps beating him with a fire extinguisher in between vomiting and crying? Why is that miner carrying so many ducks in? Why is the Botanist trapped in a locker? Who turned that Assistant into an epileptic naked black woman? Why does the janitor have superpowers and an unremoveable owl costume? Why did the mild-mannered Head of Personnel just shed his human shell and drag the screaming Detective into a maintenance shaft? What is that strange Ancient One that keeps popping in and out of existence and is it connected to why the Quartermaster is shrieking about spiders and pigs that nobody else can see?

I just love that everyone has their separate yet interconnected stories. Strange and baffling things are a certainty in SS13, and you'll almost never know what's going on in any given part of the station. And then, at the end, all these little, personal, organic stories come together in one last explosion of complete stupidity, often literally. Every genetic experiment, improbable foodstuff, neurotoxin cocktail, every grudge, every renegade monkey, all come together and have their part to play in the last desperate rush for freedom.

I don't know what it is, exactly, there's just something so... oddly heartwarming about these little vignettes. :unsmith:

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I simultaneously never expected--and am completely not surprised--that the person to so eloquently piece together the nature of a round/neat stories in Space Station 13 would be somebody named WEEDLORD CHEETO

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I really like the pawns dialogue in Dragon's Dogma. Well, generally. If I hear "What a big tree" one more time...

I started a new game and picked up some lower leveled pawns just to help out newer players, these pawns never seen skeletons before. Getting into fights with them and the pawns are just utterly confused: "A human skeleton that can move by itself?!" Also when you run into drakes for the first time, and they mistake it for THE dragon.

I recall in San Andreas, after jacking a lot of ambulances on the radio chatter they remarked about some psycho stealing ambulances.

In Final Fantasy IX there is a card game that you need at least 5 cards to play. I started a new game and randomly decided to challenge someone without having 5 cards to see what they say. First person I talk to is a noble and he says "You need at least 5 cards to play my boy!" The "My boy" part stuck to me, oddly specific thing to say I thought. So I started challenging everyone in the first city to card games.

Almost every single one of them had something unique to say in regards to not having 5 cards, and now I'm tempted to toss all my cards and see what people say later in the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I really like the artwork in Primordia (been playing the demo of it). It's got a giger-esque feel in all the larger structures that make them feel like something different than the usual "wrecked present-day city" designs you see in most post-armageddon world designs. Each location I've seen so far also does a really good job of implying how they individually came to be that way too (as a pose to "the bomb(s) did it")

Leal posted:

I recall in San Andreas, after jacking a lot of ambulances on the radio chatter they remarked about some psycho stealing ambulances.

I like that you can steal a cropdusting plane and turn on the spray, even though it doesn't actually do anything. That driving the combine harvester through a city :unsmigghh:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Leal posted:

I really like the pawns dialogue in Dragon's Dogma. Well, generally. If I hear "What a big tree" one more time...

I started a new game and picked up some lower leveled pawns just to help out newer players, these pawns never seen skeletons before. Getting into fights with them and the pawns are just utterly confused: "A human skeleton that can move by itself?!" Also when you run into drakes for the first time, and they mistake it for THE dragon.

Wolves hunt in packs!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Star Man posted:

That's actually a really common thing. Actually, all games put on the 360 need to have the ability to silence the music track, in the event that the player wants to use a custom soundtrack. The only question is, did the dev make it a binary (on/off) sort of thing, or did they include a slider to adjust volume? Most of them put a slider in.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
This thread has already talked enough about Sleeping Dogs, but I like that there's a different animation for reloading an empty gun, where Wei pulls the slide. It's something you'd see in Call of Duty, but seeing it in a GTA-esque game is a nice touch.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

One thing I love about Space Station 13 is... a bit silly, and probably nothing to do with the game itself.

:words:

And, without exception, everyone has their own ridiculously story to tell. Not, most likely, that they ever will.

I need to get back into SS13. Everything in that game was super involved; job systems, health systems, station destructibility, chemistry, etc etc. I was never any good at the murdering and subterfuge and would often play the mild mannered roboticist. Often I would have no clue what was going on in terms of it being a traitor round or a changeling round. But one time in one of those long 45+ minute rounds, another player goes "Come with me and take this" and dropped a laser gun. Having never gotten a chance to do anything this cool(or seen a laser gun for that matter), I followed along. We go to engineering, shoot everybody, and cook up one of the largest explosions I'd ever seen in that game.

Why? :iiam:

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
In Final Fantasy X, after the end of boss battles, a cutscene would play out before going to the EXP and Items victory screen. It helped keep the dramatic tension of the story.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Just picked up Amazing Spider-Man on Steam, and between missions, it has basically social media updates from NYC citizens about what's going on. One of the first updates was from Johnnyfiveaces.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb plays a lot like an Indy film, whipping guns out of Nazi's hands, hitting them with chairs, that kind of thing. Greatest bit is: If Indy takes too much damage in a short space of time his hat gets knocked off, and after the fight you can calmly stroll over and pick it up, occassionally getting a celebratory "da-da-da-DAAAAA"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
In the original Half-Life, some of the Marines wore red berets. The Black Mesa fan remakes retains this feature with the added bonus of the berets falling off of the soldiers' heads when they die; later in the game, you will occasionally encounter Marines with mirrored sunglasses and/or cigars (which behave in a similar manner to the berets.) This may hark back to the original Marine concept art where they envisioned a commander with a squad machine gun and a cigarette in his mouth.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Leal posted:

Dragon's Dogma is an amazing game because it is basically Dragon Age the JRPG with your party replaced with asperger golems.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I thought Morrigan already was an asperger golem.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
You're thinking of Sandal, it's easy to confuse the two

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Morrigan was a misanthropic libertarian who never had any friends, hated touching, and was homeschooled by her mother. I stand by my statement.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!

Psalmanazar posted:

Dragon's Dogma is an amazing game because it is basically Dragon Age the JRPG with your party replaced with asperger golems.

Its like they've thought to themselves "What do modern RPG players think of their party? Lets kick that up to 11"

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Really Pants posted:

Morrigan was a misanthropic libertarian who never had any friends, hated touching, and was homeschooled by her mother. I stand by my statement.

What about Shale?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

What about Shale?

Shale was a completely socially capable golem.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shale is a clear case of high-functioning Asskicker's disorder.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I like in Far Cry 3 is how you get a pretty good sense of Jason moving through the world. He mantles over low obstacles and if you do a running jump into water he'll dive headfirst in.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I've been playing Dragonborn, the new Skyrim add-on. In it, you have a number of opportunities to visit Apocrypha, Hermaeus Mora's plane of Oblivion. Its gimmick is that it's a practically endless library of all knowledge, and so enemies and chests there often contain a number of books. If you're a fan of the lore, you can be sucked right in just as designed, even though it postpones fighting the big evil at the end of it all. It was neat to me that it went beyond just scenery.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena end credits are quite long, giving it enough time to play a number of songs. The first track is some generic metal song--fitting the "bad-rear end-itude" of the game, I guess. The second one is a track from the game's OST, which is fine.

The last track is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX9RP-GCbq8

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena end credits are quite long, giving it enough time to play a number of songs. The first track is some generic metal song--fitting the "bad-rear end-itude" of the game, I guess. The second one is a track from the game's OST, which is fine.

The last track is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX9RP-GCbq8

That is fantastic they thought to add that in hahaha.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If liking Chiptune makes me wrong then I really don't want to be right.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is that a remix of the game's theme, or something original?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It sounds like something from a no-cd crack.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
The best "What the Hell?" ending music is MDK's.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Cleretic posted:

Shale was a completely socially capable golem.

A social construct, you might say.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

As long as we're posting weird music, here's what plays in the bonus levels in Skullmonkeys.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mierenneuker posted:

It sounds like something from a no-cd crack.

This is probably the intent, since their next game (Syndicate) had a .nfo file in the install directory:

pre:
                                  ████████
                              ████        ████
                          ████                ████
                       ███                        ███
                      █             ▓                █
                    ██              ▓                 ██
                   █                ▓▓                  █
                  █                   █▓                 █
                 █                    ▓█                  █
                █   ███            ████▓                   █
               █      █    ▓      ███                       █
               █     ██  ████     ▓███            ████▓     █
              █      ████████      ▓███▓         ▓█   ▓▓     █
             █        ▓▓   ██       ████          █           █
             █             ██▓               ██▓ ▓█▓          █
            █             ▓████    █████    ████████           █
            █             ▓███  ███████████  █████▓            █
           █               ▓█ ███████████████ █                 █
           █                 █████████████████                  █
           █                ██▀▀███████████▀▀██                 █
          █                 ███▀▄▀██▀█▀██▀▄▀███      ▓           █
          █      █▓     ▓█ ████▄   ▄███▄   ▄████   ▓███          █
          █     █ ▓▓   ███ █████████████████████ ██████▓     ▓   █
          █    ▓   █  ████ ████████ ▄█▄ ████████ ███▓ ██   ██    █
          █        █████▓▓ █████████████████████ ███   ██ █▓     █
          █         ███    ██ ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀ ██ ▓▓     ▓█▓      █
          █                 ██ ██▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄▄██ ██                  █
          █                 ███▄▀█████████▀▄███                  █
           █                 ████▄▀▀███▀▀▄████                  █
           █               ▓  ██████▄▄▄██████  █▓               █
           █             ████   ███████████   ██▓               █
            █           ▓██████    █████    ▓███               █
            █           ██                   ▓██▓              █
             █          ▓█▓        ████      ▓███████         █
             █           █▓        ████      █████▓█▓         █
              █          ██         ████      ▓    ▓         █
               █     █▓███▓         ▓███           █        █
               █    ▓               ███            ▓█       █
                █                   ███                    █
                 █                ▓██                     █
                  █               ██                     █
                   █              ▓█                    █
                    ██              █                 ██
                      █              ▓               █
                       ███           ▓            ███
                          ████                ████
                              ████        ████
                                  ████████

Syndicate™
                          © 2012 ELECTRONIC ARTS, INC.

· ─ ─·-────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────-·─ ─ ·
   DISC Count.......: 01
   Protection.......: Yes

Support the software companies. If you play this game BUY it!

Release Information

Game Notes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Set in 2069, Syndicate takes players into a dark, Machiavellian world run 
    without government oversight with many syndicates vying for total dominance 
    of their local market place. With no one to question their intentions or 
    actions, three mega corporations - Eurocorp, Cayman Global, and Aspari - are 
    at the forefront of this brutal war for control of the pivotal American market. 

In the world of Syndicate, everything is digitally connected, including the 
    people. Players aren't limited to the weapons in their hands. Through DART 6 
    bio-chip technology implanted in their head, players can slow down time and 
    breach the digital world around them to take down their foes using a variety 
    of upgradable hacking mechanics. Syndicate's blend of fast-paced, futuristic, 
    action shooter settings and story combined with innovative chip breach 
    gameplay instantly immerses players in a unique digital world.

Install Notes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1) Insert disc
    2) Play ;)

Starbreeze Application Information

Are you bored with watching from the sidelines? Ready to make the switch?
    Do you have considerable talents in any of the following areas?

- Art, modeling, texturing, sound design

- Programming

- Game design

If you meet one or more of those criteria, and want to be a part of the fun,
    email us at jobs@starbreeze.com today!

For other ways to contact us, see below.

Over a hundred people spent several years of their lives making this game.
    If you like what you play, please consider purchasing it if you haven't

How to Contact Starbreeze

E-Mail: jobs@starbreeze.com
                        Forum:  http://www.starbreezeforum.se/
                        Web:    http://www.starbreeze.com/

SBZ:    No sleep until gold

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

I got one from Quantum Conundrum. When you look at pictures and change the dimensions, the pictures change too, like looking at a picture of Widget III and Gidget, changing to the fuzzy dimension, makes the cat super fuzzy, change to heavy dimension and the cat gets corpse paint and cat gloves with spikes and just being a general metalhead, and slowing down time just showing the cat looking at time. It's a nice little funny touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Xander77 posted:

Is that a remix of the game's theme, or something original?

As far as I can tell, this song is unlike anything else in either Assault On Dark Athena or Escape From Butcher Bay.

• Locked thread