Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Mr Underhill posted:

This is the first Far Cry I play and I like that it's The Beach - the game.

One thing I don't like, actually it's exasperating, is the saving. What is the loving point of having a save option only to be spawned in that goddamned cabin everytime you die? Maybe I've trekked there on foot for 20 minutes and I don't feel like doing it again, and maybe I don't even remember where it was. It just feels like an uninspired way to ramp up difficulty artificially a la Absolution.

Also, samey pirates. Come on, they could've come up with more than two types of uniforms for those dopey enemies. But it does have a lot of nice parts. I'm really digging that will.i.am dude.

More enemies show up after a while, early on it's mostly plain ol' pirates but soon you start running across snipers and heavies and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

TopHatGenius posted:

Also as it was mentioned, anti-alising does eat up a lot of your frame-rate speed. Even with my GTX 670 and beta drivers I bumped it down from 8x to 2x and everything ran very smooth after that. I know that AA eats up frames but this game did it more then others.

Try disabling it completely and force it in your GPU control panel. Should run even better.

I'm hoping the 8GB of RAM I should get today will help my performance, the game runs smooth otherwise but I get this mild stuttering which is really annoying.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Liberated an outpost on the second island, and then had a bunch of dudes driving around right next to a hostile outpost so a friendly truck and an enemy truck crashed into each other and the two dudes on each side started shooting at each other at point blank range and missing like a terrible action movie. I decided to help out because why not.

Turns out my gunfire attracted no less than 6 more enemy trucks, all packed to the brim with enemy dudes, and two extra friendly trucks. It was just some random rear end intersection but wave after wave of enemy guys kept coming in with absolutely no cover except the cars themselves. Ended up killing around 15 dudes, and the entire area was just littered with trucks.

And this is why I'm only liberating about half the outposts on this island.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Well, I'm a little underwhelmed, in that I was really looking forward to this game at least matching up if not surpassing Skyrim's awesome environment looks. I know, I know, apples and oranges, but it really feels a little too generic, and given the fact I'm comparing it to a game that's 1 year old and an rpg... ouch. Still is pretty, but not as awe-inspiring as I hoped.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

The environments feel a little less handcrafted than something like Skyrim, especially when you see things like floating grass and trees. The tech knocks Bethesda's engine out of the water, obviously, but the artistry isn't quite there.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
On my second run and I'm starting to notice some things. Vaas' monologue while he's executing the prisoners in the intro sequence actually continues on for another 2 minutes past when you get the prompt to jump through the window. Also, does Jason originally have a full sleeve of tribal tats on his right arm or is that a side effect of finishing the game/higher difficulty? I can't say I remembered it on my first runthrough.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Yodzilla posted:

This is rad. I think I'll do a second playthrough on Hard HUDless.
Just made the required changes, tested them, and now recommend HUDless hard playing as the only way to go. Gotta look at those tweaks once more because I still get some messages but so far I've been much less annoyed.

change thread title to Far Cry 3 - Did I ever tell you to press 'R' to reload?

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 5, 2012

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Mr Underhill posted:

Well, I'm a little underwhelmed, in that I was really looking forward to this game at least matching up if not surpassing Skyrim's awesome environment looks.

I must have missed the part where Skyrim had colours..

I loved the environment in this game but the second island is kind of disappointing. Just Cause 2 still has my favourite jungle.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Also, does Jason originally have a full sleeve of tribal tats on his right arm or is that a side effect of finishing the game/higher difficulty? I can't say I remembered it on my first runthrough.

He had it originally.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

luncheon meat posted:

I must have missed the part where Skyrim had colours...

Or incredibly unique spelunking missions. Honestly, once my video card comes back from RMA, I'm going to replay the game just to take screenshots.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone please tell me Jason gets rid of his dumb JD from Scrubs haircut. Looking at him in the character bio is embarassing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blast of Confetti posted:

Someone please tell me Jason gets rid of his dumb JD from Scrubs haircut. Looking at him in the character bio is embarassing.

You get to look at that dumb haircut for the whole game. Enjoy!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I was hoping his appearance would change over time, and he would look more and more feral.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VogeGandire posted:

I was hoping his appearance would change over time, and he would look more and more feral.

They even implied that was what would happen in the Stranded trailer, too, what with the final shot being of Jason looking all hosed up and covered in bruises and bandages and, uh, tats.

Still got the stupid hair though. They didn't miss a beat on that.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
By the way, my new system is up and running. The third motherboard was the charm.

- CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40Ghz
- Memory: 16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1.6Ghz
- Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65
- Graphics: NVIDIA GTS 250 1GB (in the shop: GTX 560 Ti 2GB)

I'm running Far Cry 3 on Ultra DX9. Smooth as butter.

And my temps are completely under control. CPU averages 58°C (idle: 38°C; max: 105°C) while the GPU averages 63°C (idle: 48°C; max: 105°C). I haven't even installed the 212 Evo cooler yet.

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 5, 2012

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
How do you access the Deluxe edition content? I put the only key I got from Steam into Uplay, and it looks like I only have the base game.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ugh, someone's going to make a lovely movie out of this game at some point aren't they.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
One of the trailers showed Jason blind-firing from behind cover, Uncharted-style, but I've never once done it and in fact don't even know how to do it. I tried pushing up against various cover objects to trigger it, but nothing happened. Did I miss something in the tutorial?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

ymgve posted:

How do you access the Deluxe edition content? I put the only key I got from Steam into Uplay, and it looks like I only have the base game.

You enter the Deluxe key via the in-game menus under Options > Exclusive Content.

Payndz posted:

One of the trailers showed Jason blind-firing from behind cover, Uncharted-style, but I've never once done it and in fact don't even know how to do it. I tried pushing up against various cover objects to trigger it, but nothing happened. Did I miss something in the tutorial?

That was a really early trailer. I think that feature didn't make the cut.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Payndz posted:

Yup, you can blindfire. Just crouch in front of some cover and pull the trigger without aiming. I've killed countless dudes this way. It's pretty sweet.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yeah, I stand corrected. I just tried it.

Also, I was looking at some early footage of the game, and you know what I saw in the E3 2011 demo that you can't have in the main game? A plain-old M1911 with a silencer. :argh:

It also looks like Jason used to have a watch on his wrist an awful lot like the one from Far Cry 2, which leads me to believe at one point you could rest and change the time of day in this game. I wonder why they cut it.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 5, 2012

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I shot a tiger that ran into a friendly camp and jumped on someone only for the whole camp to go hostile on me.

I hate the fact that this open world game doesn't have quicksaving, because I had to quit to the menu and continue my save knowing that I would lose progress just to reset the camp. :smith:

I really hope they fix the key bindings issues soon, not being able to bind Numpad Enter is really annoying me, not to mention that several remapped controls don't work at all (e.g. hang glider, exiting from vehicles when you're in the passenger seat, etc)

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Durzel posted:

I hate the fact that this open world game doesn't have quicksaving, because I had to quit to the menu and continue my save knowing that I would lose progress just to reset the camp. :smith:

F11 is quickload.

e: and F9 is quicksave, but there's no point in using it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yeah, the fact that it's not a proper quicksave is pretty disappointing.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
There's no "reputation" with the Rakyat. If you run away from the camp it'll be respawned with normal allies.

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008
What the hell? I was healing my self without any syringes just now and this kid started to proceeded to take out a knife and dig into his left arm for a bullet. I thought there are only the thumb pulling and the bandaging animations?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kringy posted:

What the hell? I was healing my self without any syringes just now and this kid started to proceeded to take out a knife and dig into his left arm for a bullet. I thought there are only the thumb pulling and the bandaging animations?

It depends on the type of damage you last took.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
Didn't see this mentioned but I think someone asked if you could holster weapons completely like when you go to town.

Just bringing up the camera (default 'Z') and holstering it again (also 'Z') instead of using 1-4 to bring up a weapon worked for me. You should now have both hands free to do.. well, nothing.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
This is probably really dumb, but I can't see any options for it ingame...

I just made the first holster where you can have two weapons - how do I assign a weapon to the second slot?

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Bardeh posted:

I just made the first holster where you can have two weapons - how do I assign a weapon to the second slot?

Buy a weapon and you'll be given the option to choose the slot it goes in. You can also pick up a weapon off the ground and if you have a free slot it'll just go in it.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

How do you open the doors at the Japanese artillery posts? Or am I just mistaken and the collectibles are somewhere else?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Reminder: Every time you sprint and jump towards a body of water, Jason/You dive into it, animation and all.

This includes from the tops of waterfalls.

Holy poo poo, marry me, FC3 :allears:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah I noticed that last night. It's a really nice touch.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Just arrived and updating. I was one of the people that could ignore the checkpoint fuckery, plastic exploding guns and 2d car chases in Far Cry 2 and enjoyed a good deal of it.

Deliberately not read this thread because this excites me for the same reasons FC2 did before it came out. I hope it's good. :(

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Praseodymi posted:

How do you open the doors at the Japanese artillery posts? Or am I just mistaken and the collectibles are somewhere else?

Explosives.

RiperSnifler
Aug 19, 2005
Well shit

Durzel posted:

I really hope they fix the key bindings issues soon, not being able to bind Numpad Enter is really annoying me, not to mention that several remapped controls don't work at all (e.g. hang glider, exiting from vehicles when you're in the passenger seat, etc)
I was wondering why I couldn't seem to move when using a hang glider. Nice to see this didn't get fixed from Far Cry 2.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Morter posted:

Reminder: Every time you sprint and jump towards a body of water, Jason/You dive into it, animation and all.

This includes from the tops of waterfalls.

Holy poo poo, marry me, FC3 :allears:

There's a massive sinkhole north of Amanaki Outpost you can dive down and it takes a good 6-7 seconds to hit the water. :allears:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Leb posted:

Explosives.

This is one of those things I found out by accident.

I saw the black mark of a mine/cave entrance on my map and go to it, only to see it's blocked. I didn't notice any signs of being able to break it or anything.

So, for the gently caress of it, I threw a C4 at it, stepped away so that the walls would cover me from the blast.

Once I blew it up and peeked around the corner, the opening to the cave/outpost followed by the mystical music plastered the hugest :haw: on my face.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Is there any greater feeling than nailing a shot with the bow while having to dial into the 100m marker on the sight?

And cassowaries are aggro as gently caress. I think I've been attacked more times by them than anything else.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

Where is this recipe listed and what do they call it? I don't remember seeing it and I'm definitely far enough into the game. I was thinking maybe they had to be unlocked through doing story missions. What do you need to make it, boar hides?

• Locked thread