Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Francois Kofko posted:

It requires an amazon payments account to either run a kickstarter or donate. Amazon payments accounts are american-only.

I've donated fine from the UK so, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My mistake. US citizenship is a requirement to have an account that receives money, not sends.

I know there've been issues in the past, though, where people couldn't donate because Kickstarter used amazon instead of paypal (and hence why there's oftentimes separate donation drives for the big projects on their website that accept paypal)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Psyched about another Barkley RPG. The first was such a good game for its pedigree.

I've wrapped up Shining Force 3 Scenario 2 which was far better than the first. It was harder in different ways, mostly with in-battle gimmicks you had to manage on top of your normal resources. Medion ended up a much higher level than Synbios thanks to his Hero Trial so I hope that doesn't bite me in the rear end later.

I've started the final Scenario and the translation is a good bit rougher. It's readable but in the way that a translation is before any localization or polish. The game itself looks even better than the second with better effects and animations. I may give it a break til the next translation version comes out in case they've polished it up at all. The website said by year-end so that's not too far off.

Last question: how is Ragnarok Tactics? From the conversation earlier in the thread I checked out some videos and such and it looks not bad at all. Thinking about picking it up but 30 bucks is hard to swallow with not much info to go on.

EDIT: Back to Scenario 3 for a moment: I'm fighting Goriate in Battle #4 and even though I've disabled Walcuray and Gracia is out of MP, Goriate just restarts the staff after he attacks me the first time and I have to deal with him and the AoE blast. Is there a way to prevent him from doing so?

Levantine fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 17, 2012

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh my god Star Ocean: Till The End of Time is awful.

The dialogue, the graphics that aren't CG, the animations, the plot, eugh

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Have you reached the mind-numbingly inane plot twist yet?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My main issue with it was the random battles combined with the amount of backtracking required along with the lack of easy transportation. The part I quit at had me go into a somewhat difficult dungeon halfway, only for it to tell me that to progress I needed to back out, cross several zones to reach a town, get an item, and go all the way back down. Yeah, no, instead I'll not play that lovely loving game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hey, at least it's not Star Ocean 4. ....:smith:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I was saved from that one by not having a current gen console. Maybe, one day a million years from now when 360/PS3 emulation becomes possible, I'll experience the gripping story of EDGE MAVERICK.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have a nickname for Star Ocean 3 that I think sums it up; Star Ocean; Til the Next Subquest. "We need you to go do this, but first you're gonna do this. And then this. And this... oh, you're still here? Go do what you came here fore then, whatever that 'main plot' thing is".

Sakurazuka posted:

Star Ocean 4 wasn't irredeemably terrible, or at least I managed to find little fun with it. Except for Goddamn. Welch. I would see her burn and dance a jig of merriment as she did so. I spoilered that so anyone who hasn't met it will get a nice surprise. Anyone who has knows what I mean.

edit: VVVVVVV

Evidently I managed to avoid the more worse Personal Actions somehow. :suicide:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 25, 2012

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Star Ocean 4 wasn't irredeemably terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I could stomach Star Ocean 3 enough to at least finish it and I thought it had some neat ideas behind some awful, awful execution. But Star Ocean 4? I played 2 hours of it before I couldn't take it any more. What an awful game in every way.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I started Shadow Hearts Covenant recently and think it's very, very good! I wanted to read the Penny Arcade comic about it again, and so having found that I read Tycho's news post associated with it which included these words about Star Ocean 3, "Star Ocean is a joyless, grating exercise I could recommend only as penance for some grievous moral miscalculation."

Yeah, that's about right.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Oddly enough, I liked SO4 more than this, but I haven't finished SO4. I forget where I am but it's more than half, I think.

However in playing this, it's obvious they didn't learn anything at all for SO4 from this game.

"Oh you have 20 items already? you aren't using enough of the items/you're too rich, best put this thing back"... What NO! Regardless of the fact it's only 20 items.

The battles are loving boring though, I kind of want to see what happens in a "this is a horrible trainwreck" sort of way.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Star Ocean 4's battles start out pretty dull, but once you get enough special moves and levels under your belt, you can pretty much pick the archer girl and the entire screen fills with arrows. It won't make things any harder, but does make it more fun. The same thing can be roughly said once you unlock Maria but any high level character can throw out a surprising amount of wrecking power.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok, I finally beat all three episodes of Shining Force 3. The translation is a little rough through Scenario 3 but totally readable. Goddamn that was a game. It was long but I never really felt like there were any filler battles. There are tons of upgrade "checkpoints" in each game where you make progress with characters; class changes, weapon upgrades, etc come at a really good pace. My only real complaint is the missed opportunity to combine armies and pick and choose units at the end. Radiant Dawn basically did Shining Force 3 but in one single game rather than 3 separate ones and the endgame let you do exactly that.

It felt like the ending was alluding to something else in that continuity regarding the Holy Ark and Vandals but I guess it never came to be. Kind of a bummer. Old Shining Force was rad.

EDIT: Ragnarok Tactics isn't bad so far but I'm getting the feeling it's going to turn into a grindfest pretty quickly. Is anyone else playing it right now? How does it progress?

Levantine fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 27, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
How many crashes did you have to dodge out of curiosity? I hit the railroad crash bug that everyone knows about in Act 2 and decided to take a break for P4G and now with the new SRW game on the horizon.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

How many crashes did you have to dodge out of curiosity? I hit the railroad crash bug that everyone knows about in Act 2 and decided to take a break for P4G and now with the new SRW game on the horizon.

Two crashes total, one in Scenario 1 and one in Scenario 2. No crashes at all in Scenario 3. Once you dodge out of the crash in Scenario 2 it plays smoothly to the end. If you've got other stuff, just wait for the updated patch they say is due by the end of the year. It probably fixes quite a bit.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Neat, thanks. I was tracking their bug report thread and it sounded dire enough in there to wait, but it was hard to judge given that the thread was like 6 years old and the posts were so infrequent. Impossible to tell what was fixed when and what wasn't.

I actually never tripped the scenario 1 crash, surprisingly.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

Neat, thanks. I was tracking their bug report thread and it sounded dire enough in there to wait, but it was hard to judge given that the thread was like 6 years old and the posts were so infrequent. Impossible to tell what was fixed when and what wasn't.

I actually never tripped the scenario 1 crash, surprisingly.

Yeah, it's a lot cleaner than expected. A lot of the problems are aesthetic problems with text over-running boundaries or disappearing text on status screens. The weird thing about both crashes for me is that Scenario 1 and 2's take place at nearly the same place - Scenario 1 happened after clearing the refugee rescue and Scenario 2 happened just prior.

Other than that, you have the basic un-edited text that occasionally sounds like it was Babelfish'ed but if you wait for the next patch I'd wager lots of that gets fixed. Regardless, it was totally worth playing in its current state for me and can only get better.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't know when it went up, but there's a demo available for the PS3 version of Ni No Kuni, which will be released in North America and Europe late in January. This is a collaboration between Level-5 and Studio Ghibli, and it's appropriately gorgeous. The environments and especially the overworld are the next step up from a high-definition Dragon Quest VIII, and the Joe Hisaishi soundtrack is doing good things to me. The localization is classy and full of character, and, being Ghibli, I feel confident in predicting a higher caliber of storytelling than you'd get in your run-of-the-mill JRPG.

Gameplay seems to cross a Pokemon or Dragon Quest Monsters monster-recruitment and -development system with the combat of FFXII or a less clusterfucky Xenoblade. You control one party member at a time, and the rest (I don't know how many ultimately, but in one of the demo scenarios it was just the main character while in the other it's you and one other) are on AI control. Party members can fight on their own, or summon one of several "familiars" with whom they share HP and MP. (You're encouraged to switch between them; familiars seem more powerful but less versatile than the human party members, and they're sharply limited by a general "stamina" level.)

Because it was a demo, a lot of features were locked out, including quite a few sidequest-related mechanics, the ability to actually recruit wild monsters or extensively customize existing ones, any knowledge what's going in the story, as well something that looked like it might be Lost Odyssey-style short stories. I'm not sure if you can configure party member AI, nor am I sure if you really have to. However, I was able to access parts of the help system, which indicated that it has a lot of very straightforward subsystems, and that's something I like to hear.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of hype for this game, but if this demo is indicative of the final product I think we've got a winner on our hands. Both the DS version two years ago (which we're not getting) and the PS3 version last year got very good reviews in Japan.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Actually I remember there being a lot of hype around it, it just took forever to come out.

I'm still excited to try the demo and at least see how it looks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bongo Bill posted:

I don't know when it went up, but there's a demo available for the PS3 version of Ni No Kuni,

It's not on the Australian PSN store :negative:. (Hoping it's coming on whatever the main day for new titles is though)

Incidentally, is there any reason I shouldn't be tempted by the collector's edition of Ni No Kuni?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Actually I remember there being a lot of hype around it, it just took forever to come out.

I'm still excited to try the demo and at least see how it looks.

In the first scenario, don't do what I did and waste the pointless 25-minute time limit on reading the help system, at least not the first time. You should at least try to get to the overworld, if not the tutorial for the social minigame once you reach the town. The help system might be charming and informative but you can save it for a second attempt.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Ni No Kuni got a lot of press back when it was announced, rpgamer wouldn't shut up about it and it had some good talk in this thread (it had its own thread but only got a few pages due to it being a import). I remember they had a really cool anti-piracy method where they included a 70 page art book with the game certain "spells" (?) had to be looked up mid-game. Seemed very cool to me. It's not my style of game anymore but this will be a day 1 purchase for me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

casual poster posted:

Ni No Kuni got a lot of press back when it was announced, rpgamer wouldn't shut up about it and it had some good talk in this thread (it had its own thread but only got a few pages due to it being a import). I remember they had a really cool anti-piracy method where they included a 70 page art book with the game certain "spells" (?) had to be looked up mid-game. Seemed very cool to me. It's not my style of game anymore but this will be a day 1 purchase for me.

The book was a bonus in the deluxe edition of the DS game, I think. Just a nice thing to have as a quick reference. It's in the collector's edition for the PS3 version too (hence why I'm considering it)

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The book was a bonus in the deluxe edition of the DS game, I think. Just a nice thing to have as a quick reference. It's in the collector's edition for the PS3 version too (hence why I'm considering it)

Hmmmm, I wonder why I thought otherwise? Anyways, I'd want the book anyways. Deluxe edition it is!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Bongo Bill posted:

In the first scenario, don't do what I did and waste the pointless 25-minute time limit on reading the help system, at least not the first time. You should at least try to get to the overworld, if not the tutorial for the social minigame once you reach the town. The help system might be charming and informative but you can save it for a second attempt.

Wow, I just walked forward and got stomped by a boss. Didn't even realize there was a help file or an overworld! Maybe I should give it another try because other than the aesthetic, it's not a real positive first impression.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

casual poster posted:

Hmmmm, I wonder why I thought otherwise? Anyways, I'd want the book anyways. Deluxe edition it is!

No you're right, all DS copies came with the spellbook and it was required to look up info in it. The PS3 version solves this by having a digital copy of the spellbook in it, as far as I know.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Forcing you to look stuff up in supplemental material to play the game is a dumb gimmick that was old when I was 6. You shouldn't be forced to go to the PS menu and open the 70 page art book to play the game.

Zerotheos
Jan 2, 2005
Z

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm not sure if you can configure party member AI, nor am I sure if you really have to.

In the second part of the demo there was a Tactics option during combat. It let you set AI modes for your party member, select targeting logic and switch the party leader.

Levantine posted:

Wow, I just walked forward and got stomped by a boss.

The fight is a breeze once you realize you're supposed to move around and switch back and forth from your familiar. Just use Marr Mite, spam attack, move around to avoid the attacks, use defense when the tutorial tells you to. Use L1 to switch back to Oliver and cast heal on yourself or eat food. About halfway through the fight a golden thing will come out of the boss, run to it and grab it and you'll be able to 1 shot the boss.

Also, look for green and blue orbs that come out of enemies. They refill health and mana when collected.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Francois Kofko posted:

Forcing you to look stuff up in supplemental material to play the game is a dumb gimmick that was old when I was 6. You shouldn't be forced to go to the PS menu and open the 70 page art book to play the game.

True, but for some reason in my mind, having 2 amazing studios (Level-5 and Studio Ghibli) doing this makes it alright in my mind. Something about the amount of work that went into this just makes me go "ok, you all deserve to get as much money as you can from this."

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zerotheos posted:

In the second part of the demo there was a Tactics option during combat. It let you set AI modes for your party member, select targeting logic and switch the party leader.

The fight is a breeze once you realize you're supposed to move around and switch back and forth from your familiar. Just use Marr Mite, spam attack, move around to avoid the attacks, use defense when the tutorial tells you to. Use L1 to switch back to Oliver and cast heal on yourself or eat food. About halfway through the fight a golden thing will come out of the boss, run to it and grab it and you'll be able to 1 shot the boss.

Also, look for green and blue orbs that come out of enemies. They refill health and mana when collected.

I didn't even know you could switch back and forth! My little mite guy got killed and I only got the prompt to guard once but no switching. I think the demo just isn't a good slice of gameplay in the order its presented. It has my interest though so I'll dive back in today.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love JRPG combat when it's challenging. Some JRPG bossfights are my fondest gaming memories. I cannot for the life of me stand the countless, brainless filler battles that make up a good 90% of the play time, that I pretty much have to do or else I'm underleveled, undergeared, and over my head. For these reasons, Chrono Cross is basically the only JRPG I've played, thoroughly enjoyed and actually go back to from time to time.

Are there any other good JRPGs that have little filler, challenging standard encounters or doesn't punish you for just skipping most of it altogether?

e:except for FF8. I also farted around a bit with Everlong and it was alright.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 5, 2012

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Pomp posted:

Are there any other good JRPGs that have little filler, challenging standard encounters or doesn't punish you for just skipping most of it altogether?

Have you tried Final Fantasy 3 or 5? The enemies, especially bosses, require a little more thinking in these two games.

If you don't mind PC dungeon crawlers then the Wizardry series all the way. I think there's a few titles for consoles as well which are just as good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pomp posted:

I love JRPG combat when it's challenging. Some JRPG bossfights are my fondest gaming memories. I cannot for the life of me stand the countless, brainless filler battles that make up a good 90% of the play time, that I pretty much have to do or else I'm underleveled, undergeared, and over my head. For these reasons, Chrono Cross is basically the only JRPG I've played, thoroughly enjoyed and actually go back to from time to time.

If you're looking for something modern, Radiant Historia is pretty good. The fighting system encourages long combos and you gain the ability to skip fights relatively early on.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pomp posted:

Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne is one of the greatest JRPGs ever made. It's also a very challenging experience and even the random battles can kill you quickly if you're not careful. Battles require strategy, and boss battles require some planning. The really brief and reductive version is that Shin Megami Tensei is Pokemon with demons (or rather, Pokemon was SMT with cute monsters). You negotiate with and recruit various types of demons and you can summon two at a time, and your character fights alongside them. There's an interesting demon fusion system as well where you fuse demons to create new ones. Battles are turn based, and reward exploiting enemy weaknesses by granting bonus turns, and punish things like using the wrong types of attacks against the wrong enemies with missing turns. This is the "Press Turn" system. The end result is gameplay that requires you to always be thinking about how to approach the enemy. The story is really crazy too. You're a high school student who witnesses the apocalypse and becomes transforms by it in some manner. You wake up in a devastated demon infested Tokyo, with demon powers, and have to unravel the mystery of the forces behind the apocalypse, and how the different factions are involved, eventually ending with you aligning with one.

The games that are derived from this system/engine are pretty good, too. Digital Devil Saga isn't about monster collection/summoning, but uses the same "press turn" combat, and is also pretty challenging. Gameplay is more about transforming into demons instead of summoning them. Although there's still a fair amount of tactics and thought required for battle, it feels like most of the strategy was moved outside of battle into character building. Persona 3 and 4 are about monster collection/summoning, but indirectly so. You collect/fuse "personas" who basically grant your main character special skills/stat boosts. The combat is still thoughtful and uses a variant of the Press Turn system, but it's overall on the easier side of things, especially the handheld versions of the games, which are kind of super easy, now. Still, there are some pretty epic and awesome boss fights, and switching personas on the fly during battle feels really tactical and fun. The most noteworthy thing about these games are not the combat, though, but everything on the side. They added an elaborate "metagame" of sorts on top of the dungeon crawling, where you're a high school student in the real world, making friendships, doing teenager stuff, etc. It's like a weird social sim of sorts, and while it may not be to everyone's tastes, it does a fantastic job of expanding the personalities of the characters and making you feel real attached to them, and they also tie it all into the actual dungeon crawling parts of the games in smart ways. And it makes for a sense of pacing that will have you playing the game for WAY longer stretches than you initially wanted to.

Of these three, the Persona games are probably the easiest to jump right into with P4 being my preferred of the two. SMT3 especially is a bit hardcore. Digital Devil Saga was fun, but it kind of ends halfway through the story, and DDS2 is a bad game.

For something completely different, you may also enjoy the Grandia games. They have very tactical battle systems that require a fair amount of thought to make the most of. Grandia 2 kind of failed to make the most of it by being really easy overall, but they upped the difficulty a little bit for 3 and I thought it was a pretty fun game. It has a fairly dreadful story though with some really cringe-worthy dialog. It's just super cheesy in the worst ways. But if you can ignore that, then it's actually a fun game.

edit: I should mention that all of these games that are in the middle of their series, it's perfectly fine to just jump right in. With the exception of DDS1/2, these games have completely stand-alone stories, and are only very loosely tied to other games in the same series.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 5, 2012

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Persona 3 and 4 are about monster collection/summoning, but indirectly so. You collect/fuse "personas" who basically grant your main character special skills/stat boosts. The combat is still thoughtful and uses a variant of the Press Turn system, but it's overall on the easier side of things, especially the handheld versions of the games, which are kind of super easy, now. Still, there are some pretty epic and awesome boss fights, and switching personas on the fly during battle feels really tactical and fun. The most noteworthy thing about these games are not the combat, though, but everything on the side. They added an elaborate "metagame" of sorts on top of the dungeon crawling, where you're a high school student in the real world, making friendships, doing teenager stuff, etc. It's like a weird social sim of sorts, and while it may not be to everyone's tastes, it does a fantastic job of expanding the personalities of the characters and making you feel real attached to them, and they also tie it all into the actual dungeon crawling parts of the games in smart ways. And it makes for a sense of pacing that will have you playing the game for WAY longer stretches than you initially wanted to.

Of these three, the Persona games are probably the easiest to jump right into with P4 being my preferred of the two. SMT3 especially is a bit hardcore.

Also worth mentioning: if you have a Vita for some reason, Persona 4: the Golden is an improved version of Persona 4 and is also exceptional. It does a lot to improve on some of the flaws of the PS2 version (and just generally looks great on the Vita's screen.)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

Also worth mentioning: if you have a Vita for some reason, Persona 4: the Golden is an improved version of Persona 4 and is also exceptional. It does a lot to improve on some of the flaws of the PS2 version (and just generally looks great on the Vita's screen.)

Take this with a grain of salt because I haven't played it, but everything about the Vita version of the game makes it seem like it's substantially less challenging than the original, which already wasn't a super hard game or anything. If the person is specifically seeking a challenge, then maybe P4 Golden isn't the best game to play. You can up the game's difficulty, but doing so doesn't change any of the things that make it easier, and only adds to the enemy's health and damage, only serving to make the fights take longer.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Take this with a grain of salt because I haven't played it, but everything about the Vita version of the game makes it seem like it's substantially less challenging than the original, which already wasn't a super hard game or anything. If the person is specifically seeking a challenge, then maybe P4 Golden isn't the best game to play. You can up the game's difficulty, but doing so doesn't change any of the things that make it easier, and only adds to the enemy's health and damage, only serving to make the fights take longer.

I have played the game, and it's true, the game is much easier than it was before. However, it also has Hard mode from the original and a new Very Hard difficulty. On Hard you deal less damage and take more (difficulty doesn't affect health totals for anyone or anything.) On Very Hard you also earn less EXP and Money, which are two of the major reasons the game is easier anyways. The other major reason for the decreased difficulty is due to the new Shuffle Time changes, skill cards, and the ability to directly choose the abilities your new Persona inherits in fusion, all of which allow you to power up your Persona much easier (to the point where some crazy people are just using the original Izanagi throughout the whole game.) Also: you get to restart on the floor you die on in all difficulties except Very Hard (and a custom difficulty you can create in NG+ if you so choose.)

I don't think it's too easy on Normal, seeing as I played the PS2 version of the game and basically knew what to do anyways, but if you're concerned about the game being too easy, feel free to try out Hard mode. It should balance the game's difficulty without being too obscenely hard (given the aforementioned abilities).

EDIT: In short, I stand by my suggestion, and think it's still challenging enough to be worth playing, especially if you don't get as lucky as I did (I got extremely lucky skill changes in fusion, giving me Megido at like level 18 and Victory Cry in the early 50s.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

King of Solomon posted:

I have played the game, and it's true, the game is much easier than it was before. However, it also has Hard mode from the original and a new Very Hard difficulty. On Hard you deal less damage and take more (difficulty doesn't affect health totals for anyone or anything.) On Very Hard you also earn less EXP and Money, which are two of the major reasons the game is easier anyways. The other major reason for the decreased difficulty is due to the new Shuffle Time changes, skill cards, and the ability to directly choose the abilities your new Persona inherits in fusion, all of which allow you to power up your Persona much easier (to the point where some crazy people are just using the original Izanagi throughout the whole game.) Also: you get to restart on the floor you die on in all difficulties except Very Hard (and a custom difficulty you can create in NG+ if you so choose.)

I don't think it's too easy on Normal, seeing as I played the PS2 version of the game and basically knew what to do anyways, but if you're concerned about the game being too easy, feel free to try out Hard mode. It should balance the game's difficulty without being too obscenely hard (given the aforementioned abilities).

EDIT: In short, I stand by my suggestion, and think it's still challenging enough to be worth playing, especially if you don't get as lucky as I did (I got extremely lucky skill changes in fusion, giving me Megido at like level 18 and Victory Cry in the early 50s.)

Golden alone saves you a million hours from letting you choose which abilities go on the new fusion instead of RNG-hoping. That's easily worth buying Golden over the original.

Although I guess if you like your Chie to sound older, pick up the original.