Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
All I want to disable is the mission prompts in the top left of the hud. I'm fine with everything else on the hud (I like reading about things I find, yay memory cards!). Can I do this yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

poo poo, it'd make SENSE for a Vaas-playable game in such a setting. Villain protagonist who can kill pretty much whoever the gently caress he wants with no rhyme or reason, who has no objective whatsoever other than to have fun and make money by hurting people.

Only thing going against it: I doubt I'd be able to coldy execute harmless hostages for shits and giggles. That would suck the fun out of it for me, it'd be going into "No Russian" territory.

...on the other hand, if you wanted to go the "black comedy" route, you could introduce dialogue trees where you get to choose which brand of crazy Vaas is. "Do I make a joke about shooting them all in order of what color shirt they're wearing, or do I begin a quasi-philosophical rant about how their choice of lifestyle has resulted in them being at my non-existant mercy? Aww, gently caress it, random rage-out button!"

Speedball fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 6, 2012

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I just watched a tiger completely clear the rust yard camp entirely by itself. It pounced and killed all four dudes, and it killed the dog. I didn't even lift a finger, and I got credit for the camp clearing and 'undetected'.

I wish I could adopt that tiger as a pet.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
This game seems like a lot of fun except for the whole saving thing and the fact that the menu system sucks. I might hold off playing it in the hopes that they patch it. I've only played for a couple of hours and I've already lost hunting and crafting progress due to dying during an unrelated mission, which is enough to make me turn it off.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One thing they probably should have done is to make animal hides into auto-sell loot once you have fully crafted everything you can with that particular animal's type of hide.

Herbs never stop being useful, on the other hand.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Mr Asshat posted:

Vaas is the best villain in any videogame ever, that is all.

He's seriously one of the most memorable characters I've seen in a game in recent years. Everything from his design to his mannerisms to his spot-on voice actor is just superb.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The silenced .50-cal with a zoom scope is basically an instant easy mode. I never managed to get a single undetected outpost clearance until after reaching the second island (some bastard always spotted me), then phoont phoont, two in a row and a new skill unlocked. :v:

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
The game keeps resetting all my settings. Difficulty, graphics, whatever. Its really irritating.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Bogarts posted:

The game keeps resetting all my settings. Difficulty, graphics, whatever. Its really irritating.

Go to Documents\My Games\Far Cry 3, right-click on GamerProfile.XML, go to Properties, and make sure it's not set to read-only. If it's set to read-only, it'll always reset.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Capn Beeb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY6bpf3Oy30

I really want some DLC with Vaas' rise to power.

Far Cry 3: I'm Gonna Be A Pirate King.

Holy poo poo, Vaas is the spitting image of him :stare:

That is some drat fine mo-capping work they did, god drat!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Think about the ability he now has to scare the hell out of random people now. If I was that well animated in a game where I was a psychopath, you'd better believe I'd be growing that mohawk ASAP.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

This thread has basically reset to about 50 pages ago.

DrNutt posted:

God drat it's hilarious to see this as a major complaint given the situation with Far Cry 2.

Isn't it! I think if any game devs are reading this the one thing they'll take away from it is don't ever listen to us fans. We don't really know what we want, the vast majority of us have never been involved in any aspect of game design, and you're better off just relying on your own experience and expertise to make the best game you can with the resources you're given. And they'd be right.

Since I doubt ubisoft will release any stats like was done for the walking dead, I'm curious: for those of you that have finished the game, I'd like to get a quick rundown of roughly how many people chose each ending.

Did you save your friends and make it out alive or kill them and shortly afterwards die an insane man? I picked the second option, because although I had my suspicions it would turn out that way, I wanted to see how making Jason ultimately crack and go completely mad would end. I also hated all the characters anyway after the club scene (not so much the opening scene), so it wasn't a hard choice.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Cactus posted:

Did you save your friends and make it out alive or kill them and shortly afterwards die an insane man? I picked the second option, because although I had my suspicions it would turn out that way, I wanted to see how making Jason ultimately crack and go completely mad would end. I also hated all the characters anyway after the club scene (not so much the opening scene), so it wasn't a hard choice.

After saving Liza, where she is freaking out and Jason is whooping and enjoying it, I've instantly decided I'm having him snap. It seems too natural not to.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think the first ending is more bitter and probably the one that is "canon".

Spoilers: Fading to black with Dennis crying over Citra was pretty :smith: moment. Also with the entire subtext of the "Citra setting you free" angle, it seems pretty obvious that given the choice you'd finally use that freedom to reject all the crazy indoctrination that's been forced on you

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Flame arrows don't seem to work at all.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Payndz posted:

The silenced .50-cal with a zoom scope is basically an instant easy mode. I never managed to get a single undetected outpost clearance until after reaching the second island (some bastard always spotted me), then phoont phoont, two in a row and a new skill unlocked. :v:
Maybe it's just the fact I've been playing so much Dishonoured but I've managed to do all the outposts thus far except the first with melee takedowns. You just either have to use rock a whole lot or find that one place where they expect you to start at and time it right after taggin' all the suckas.

And not being able to mod the AK made me hella mad. I want my super AK goddamn it. It is mah favourite. It is the most moddable weapon.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't understand the problem with the save system. It autosaves all the drat time and I've never lost any progress due to a bad save. Did you know: that it autosaves when you begin an outpost assault, so if you die during the attempt, you basically respawn just a short walk away from the outpost with the enemies reset?

I mean, it's a really generous autosave system.

e: What this game really needs to be perfect is a new game +. I really want to go through this all again with my maxed out character and all my favorite weapons.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Payndz posted:

When do guns like this start appearing?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bold Robot posted:

When do guns like this start appearing?

There are a handful of weapons that aren't available until the halfway point of the game. The silenced R700 works really well until you get that, though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That silenced 50 cal is insane. Kills heavy dudes with a single headshot. And kills most regular dudes with a bodyshot.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Anyone with more than one option that isn't sure which version of the game to get, check out this comparison between the three:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-far-cry-3-face-off

I watched the PC vs 360 video (nice music btw) and although they actually look pretty similar graphics-wise because the video itself is limited to 720p, you can definitely notice the framerate issues.

This is definitely one of those games that sells graphics cards.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

DrNutt posted:

I don't understand the problem with the save system. It autosaves all the drat time and I've never lost any progress due to a bad save. Did you know: that it autosaves when you begin an outpost assault, so if you die during the attempt, you basically respawn just a short walk away from the outpost with the enemies reset?

I mean, it's a really generous autosave system.

e: What this game really needs to be perfect is a new game +. I really want to go through this all again with my maxed out character and all my favorite weapons.

The problem is that it doesn't always do that. I've had difficult Outposts take 5-7 tries, and it'll spawn me in 3 or 4 different places. Once, I even spawned on the other side of the outpost.

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out
Vaas didn't even exist in Far Cry 3 originally. The original baddie was the generic, "stoic" pile of garbage character design. The voice actor for Vaas didn't get the part because he acted a completely different personality than what the script described. Later on, they added a secondary character in for the voice actor to play because they liked him. That secondary character eventually became Vaas.

I'm guessing you haven't seen the "Far Cry Experience" video series yet?

Nahrix fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 6, 2012

NeonCowboy
Oct 9, 2009

I see y'all flashing, diamond, dancing, shining /
Keep your head up
I was sort of confused about why I don't really like this game.

Then I realized that it's exactly like Just Cause 2, except without literally every single thing about that game that I love.

Does anyone else feel like this? Is this game actually cool?

McMyke
Mar 3, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
To me it seemed like no matter what you did, you weren't really progressing.

maybe that's why you feel that way considering in JC2 it seemed like everything you did gave you progress

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My repaired GTX 560 Ti arrived today. GTS 250 DX9 Ultra < GTX 560 Ti DX9 Ultra. With a 200 series card, there's aliasing on everything. With a 500 series card, there's no aliasing on anything. Temperature tops out at 65°C. When the game is closed, the temp drops down to idling at 37°C, which is around 10°C cooler than the i5 3570K CPU.

EDIT: DX11 Ultra tops out at 62°C.

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 6, 2012

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Where's the hole that Vaas drops you down into during the "definition of instanity" speech? I can't find it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I'm fairly certain they're using the same facial motion capture that LA Noire did, and we should see more and more movies and games using this technology from now on. Its just so great, isn't it? On the one hand, now we can hire living actors to be involved in creating the characters and add their craft to it, and on the other hand, we have virtual characters that are extraordinarily life like.

I'm with everybody else, Vaas just blows me away. He's so crazy awesome. Literally Crazy.

And I reaaaaaaaaally want to play as Vaas. O_O I'm throwing money at the screen but nothing's happening.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

NeonCowboy posted:

I was sort of confused about why I don't really like this game.

Then I realized that it's exactly like Just Cause 2, except without literally every single thing about that game that I love.

Does anyone else feel like this? Is this game actually cool?

I personally got bored with Just Cause 2 in about 8 hours but have been addicted to this. v:shobon:v Different strokes I guess.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm fairly certain they're using the same facial motion capture that LA Noire did

They are definitely not using that technology. So far only LA Noire used it.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

If they did go the route of having a playable Vaas, I'm sure they could keep their first-person immersion thing and still have the character appear on screen because he's loving crazy.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

gibbed posted:

I see someone found my tools. :v:

I'm pretty much checking this thread for the sole purpose of catching any "ENEMY RESPAWNING" mods that come out, or poo poo you make. I'm already running out of enemies to kill :qq:

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gibbed posted:

None other than there's not much you can do with only repack tools other than texture edits.

You're free to play around with them.

Binaries Source

What do you mean by this? With your Dunia repack tools for Far Cry 2, you could modify various XML files and change the game rules. Are you saying that Far Cry 3 has no such files to modify? Or that you haven't magicked those files into editable formats yet?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nahrix posted:

I'm guessing you haven't seen the "Far Cry Experience" video series yet?

I have not, but having already beaten the game, I'll probably enjoy it even more if I watch them now, huh? I'll check them out!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

If you want to remove :siren: objective reminders :siren:, do the following:

- Get a hex editor, I like HxD and it's free.
- Open FC3.dll or FC3_d3d11.dll. Make a backup first.
- Search for hex 4F 00 62 00 6A 00 43 00 6F 00 6E 00 74 00 61­ 00 69 00 6E 00 65 00 72, or look for offset 015D29F0 (FC3.dll) or 015E18F0 (FC3_d3d11.dll), it should say O.b.j.C.o.n.t.a.i.n.e.r, replace it with all zeroes.
- To disable the sounds as well, search for text sndObjectiveUpdatePopup and sndLogUpdatePopup, replace those with zeroes.
- Save.
- Enjoy.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 6, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

You're a legend. Adding this to the OP now.

EDIT: I actually just tried it and I can't find that hex string anywhere.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 6, 2012

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Attention Horse posted:

Where's the hole that Vaas drops you down into during the "definition of instanity" speech? I can't find it.

I just played through that mission, it's here: First Person, Map

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cardboard Box posted:

You're a legend. Adding this to the OP now.

EDIT: I actually just tried it and I can't find that hex string anywhere.

Are you editing the FC3 or FC3_d11.dll?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I tried them both. Could you maybe tell me what the offset number is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cardboard Box posted:

I tried them both. Could you maybe tell me what the offset number is?

015D29F0 (FC3.dll) or 015E18F0 (FC3_d3d11.dll), it should say O.b.j.C.o.n.t.a.i.n.e.r

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 6, 2012

• Locked thread