Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Yeah well this is, like, way more hard than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

The Vortex is one of those more luck-based ships in that you have to find another gun by sector 2 or you can just kiss the run goodbye. Theoretically I guess you could win with the starting loadout if you got another crew member and had him man the weapons until he had gold skill, at which point I think the Heavy Ion would be able to perma-ionize enemy shields. At least you get some extra starting scrap in the form of the redundant repair drone and the crap drone speed aug, so if you do find a store then it's easier to get a new weapon.

And hey, it's not the Stealth-A. Now that ship right there is garbage.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nephilm posted:

Engi-B is the worst ship.

Stealth-A is pretty horrible, too. Jury's still out on Slug-B.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
How To Engi-B:
Until you get more crew, leave all of the ship (Except for maybe out to the medbay) vented to space, upgrade your doors. Congratulations, now you don't have to worry about those mantis boarders anymore.

The rest of it's exactly the same as any other ship: upgrade your engines, upgrade your shields, get better weapons, get a defense drone I, get more crew if you can, have them man your poo poo, get a teleporter if you want to.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Engi-B is only a tiny bit worse than Engi-A you guys are nuts. Slug-B, Cruiser-B, and the Stealth ships are where you go for suck. Jury is out on Rock because I will never unlock it ever.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Can someone upload/link to a save file with all the ships? The one in the OP is dead.

e: Found one via Google

nerve fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 6, 2012

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
How to <Insert Ship here>: There is no how to, advice is irrelevant after Sector 2 which any ship can get past without a problem.

Just gotta get lucky with stores or drops.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Irony.or.Death posted:

Engi-B is only a tiny bit worse than Engi-A you guys are nuts. Slug-B, Cruiser-B, and the Stealth ships are where you go for suck. Jury is out on Rock because I will never unlock it ever.
Rock ships are quite awesome.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

There IS the whole issue of not being able to vent air in the Rock-B, which makes boarders and fires slightly more of a problem, but that's it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

AT LAST

(Now I just have to do it with all the other ships. And unlock Crystal B and Mantis B and both Rock ships.)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
So wait, you don't need Rock A to get the Crystal ship?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

So wait, you don't need Rock A to get the Crystal ship?

Nah, there's a chance of succeeding for the asteroid/stasis pod event on all the ships. It's just relatively low for random events, unless you have the Rock blue option, so using the Rock ship makes that unlock significantly easier.

That said, I still haven't unlocked it after going through the game with the Rock ship a whole ton of times. Getting the right sector order is much harder than finding any of the individual events.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

I've been doing nothing but Rock B runs for the crystal ship for the last couple of weeks. This loving game.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

That said, I still haven't unlocked it after going through the game with the Rock ship a whole ton of times. Getting the right sector order is much harder than finding any of the individual events.

Yeah, I think I unlocked it with the Stealth ship, and it was a mad streak of luck the whole way through (and then I died to the flagship).

On an unrelated note, the Mk 2 Ion is probably my favorite weapon in the game at this point.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
First jump in Dickship B, find an Ion 2.

I guess my gunner will be gold star in about 3 fights? ;)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there any way to accelerate time in combat?

I just started playing this game and the early game kind of drags when you face a bunch of foregone conclusion fights but have to sit around waiting on weapons.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

victrix posted:

I just started playing this game and the early game kind of drags when you face a bunch of foregone conclusion fights but have to sit around waiting on weapons.

Nope. And it's better that way. Honestly, there are some fights where a second can make all the difference. It would REALLY suck to miss a critical shot or miss moving a repair team to a damaged area or moving someone out of a burning/airless room because time was moving faster.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

TShields posted:

Nope. And it's better that way. Honestly, there are some fights where a second can make all the difference. It would REALLY suck to miss a critical shot or miss moving a repair team to a damaged area or moving someone out of a burning/airless room because time was moving faster.

Yeah, if you're getting bored during combat, it means you're not paying attention, and that means that things will become interesting* any moment now.

___
*By 'interesting' I mean 'on fire'

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

docbeard posted:

*By 'interesting' I mean 'on fire'

Is there any other definition in FTL? :allears: Everyone is different. No two people are not on fire.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
UUUUUGH why is it whenever I am partly prepared I encounter the first step to get get the Mantis Cruiser, and when I'm fully prepared I never even get the Mantis Homeworld? Soo frustrating. I just need the Mantis Cruiser and Crystal Cruiser!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TopHatGenius posted:

UUUUUGH why is it whenever I am partly prepared I encounter the first step to get get the Mantis Cruiser, and when I'm fully prepared I never even get the Mantis Homeworld? Soo frustrating. I just need the Mantis Cruiser and Crystal Cruiser!

I'd say the Slug Cruiser is best for getting the Mantis event - all you need is a teleporter and a second medbay level, and you're already set up to be killing crews with impunity. In addition, killing crews exclusively (as you tend to do with the Anti-Bio Beam) is a good way to get a lot of scrap, meaning you can afford the upgrades quicker.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

KataraniSword posted:

I'd say the Slug Cruiser is best for getting the Mantis event - all you need is a teleporter and a second medbay level, and you're already set up to be killing crews with impunity. In addition, killing crews exclusively (as you tend to do with the Anti-Bio Beam) is a good way to get a lot of scrap, meaning you can afford the upgrades quicker.

I starting doing this with the slug. It all went well until I ran up against a Zoltan-shielded ship in an asteroid field. :argh:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

sfwarlock posted:

Try this:
Launch the first one when the fight starts. As soon as you see it shoot, launch the second one.

Another related tip is that you can run the defense drone without the power for it easily. Just put your energy into everything else, and when you see a missile launch, take energy off of engines or shields and throw it into the drone until it shoots, then move your energy back into whatever. It's micromanagement hell but it works.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Control Volume posted:

It's micromanagement hell but it works.

An apt description of most strategies that work.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

So, I just got this game on steam. Start it up, first event is against some mantis. Okay, whatever. Next thing I know, three of them teleport on my ship, a rocket blows out my medbay, and my entire crew is dead.

I think I'm in love. :allears:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

victrix posted:

Check the options screen and turn off the "pause when the window loses focus" thing. At least you'll be able to read stuff in the background while fights are going on.

Actually there's a whole load of really weird decisions about stuff that should be on/off by default on the options screen, so seriously, check the options screen.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Penguingo posted:

Actually there's a whole load of really weird decisions about stuff that should be on/off by default on the options screen, so seriously, check the options screen.

Example: Being able to see links between nodes even when you're not in one of them. Makes the game helluva easier.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

my dad posted:

Example: Being able to see links between nodes even when you're not in one of them. Makes the game helluva easier.

Wait, that's what that option's for? :aaaaa: I've gotten used to the extra risk of being boxed in, but that's still a giant step towards making the game more approachable.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

Fiend Computer posted:

So, I just got this game on steam. Start it up, first event is against some mantis. Okay, whatever. Next thing I know, three of them teleport on my ship, a rocket blows out my medbay, and my entire crew is dead.

I think I'm in love. :allears:

Welcome to FTL.

TopHatGenius posted:

Same boat here. I finally got the Slug after a dozen or so failed Mantis attempts. I had the perfect conditions for the Mantis once and hosed up the final event, too- I had my attack crew healing on the ship ready for one last assault and I missed turning off one of my missiles. I let out a hearty "gently caress!" and my wife thought I had dropped something on my foot.

TShields fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 8, 2012

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

So normally, I roll with Mantis Ship B, and I board everybody I can. Eventually I am swimming in crew members, with a full complement of mantis/rockmen boarders, weapons, and whatnot.

No, not today. Today was "Squishy Recruitment Day" on board the Basilisk. I had a casualty very early on, and afterward, my first three crew members recruited were slugs. So I thought "gently caress it, we're doing mantis/slug buddy cop action."

Eventually I had to boot one of the slugs due to having a full crew and having the option to recruit a zoltan, but the only extra mantis I got was one that replaced one that died in the first sector, and no rockmen ever came my way. In fact, I never saw a single slaver ship the entire run, and the single shop selling crew only had slugs.

I've had runs way better than this fail. At one point I was out of fuel, drones, AND missiles. I didn't get a cloaking device until The Last Stand. Somewhere along the way there was an auto-scout with four layers of shields and three missile launchers. But nope...

... this plucky crew went the distance. The first flagship phase was the hardest, since I had to use boarding drones to play an elaborate game of chicken with the enemy crew since I couldn't just overpower them with racial superiority. Eventually I got the medbay down, and everyone barely survived the all-out brawl with the entire enemy crew.

Party on, contest winners.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Hah. Frigging slugs. For some reason I always end up with total bruisers for slugs because maybe they keep getting attacked when boarded , but whenever I get a slug, he ends up mean enough to send over with the mantis dudes for visiting duties.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull
Can someone please give me an idiot guide to boarding ships?
I always get hopelessly beaten up by the enemy crew, so I avoid doing it, meaning that I'm usually far too underpowered by the end boss.

edit: found a guide, I didn't realise this had SO many youtube videos.
I love this game.

Charlie Brown fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 8, 2012

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Charlie Brown posted:

I always get hopelessly beaten up by the enemy crew, so I avoid doing it, meaning that I'm usually far too underpowered by the end boss.

Send your guys in a room that can only fit two people, possibly one with a system you can damage. Let the enemies come to you, unless you know that you can overpower them. Take out medbays with your weapons. Do not be afraid to beam your crew back to heal, or to run them around the enemy ship if the teleport is not recharged and they can't keep fighting. The only enemy systems you should care about are weapons and the medbay, piloting if they're trying to escape.

One micro-intensive tactic is awesome against rocks, since they're really slow. Enter a room, let a rock enter, fight him until another one shows up, immediately run to the next room, repeat until they die.

Autofire is your enemy when boarding. Pause a lot and keep an eye on enemy ship's healthbar and active systems. Always have their medbay down, weapons if they're a threat and it's possible without risking to destroy their ship or give them time to fix the medbay. (Alternative: Try to take out some of the weapons first, beam aboard, wait for the enemy to run to the medbay, then blast it with every weapon you have.)

Pause is your best frined. Pause a lot. Think. Then pause some more.

e: :argh:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Charlie Brown posted:

edit: found a guide, I didn't realise this had SO many youtube videos.
I love this game.

I don't think you need too many words to describe how to board enemies.

1. Send guys (mantis / rockmen preferred) to small room
2. Beat up nerds
3. Blow up medbay when nerds run into it.

Keep shooting their ship, particularly where their crew are hanging out. If your guys start losing, run around like a panicked cat while Benny Hill plays and your teleport room recharges. Hope they don't have blast doors!

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

my dad posted:

Autofire is your enemy when boarding. Pause a lot and keep an eye on enemy ship's healthbar and active systems. Always have their medbay down, weapons if they're a threat and it's possible without risking to destroy their ship or give them time to fix the medbay. (Alternative: Try to take out some of the weapons first, beam aboard, wait for the enemy to run to the medbay, then blast it with every weapon you have.)

On this note, don't forget to turn off the Artillery Beam if you're in the Federation Cruiser. And if you're in an asteroid field and their shields fall, get your guys out of there.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
F.T.L. is currently 40% off on steam at $5.99 but is probably worth it at full price since "fun" is priceless.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
"meh it's a barebones RPG about space i guess" - me, before buying FTL on sale

"this game ownsss" - me, after playing for 5 hours straight, 2012

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
After getting home from work last night at midnight I bought this on sale and played it till 8 in the morning.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

"Join the rebellion, they said. See the universe, they said."

I'm grinding Shivan runs to get the Crystal now. It's so painful, but moments like this make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

I bought this game earlier today because I figured I might as well try this out while it's on sale and I can't play anything else due to my own laptop and desktop being broken for the moment.

After a couple of attempts I managed to get to Sector 5, unlocking the Engi ship, so I thought I might as well try it out for the heck of it.

..A couple of hours later.

My beloved new Engi ship TAAAARKUUUUS claimed victory. Turns out Ion Blast is pretty rad!

Time to spend the rest of the night trying to do the same with every other ship! :3:

Captain Flame Guy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 9, 2012

• Locked thread