Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I don't know if anyone cares about this because I've only seen it mentioned in an pre-release review but not only is there a decent cover system, but you can blind-fire with it (something I didn't know until minutes ago).

In case you don't know: when you're up against a chest-high wall or any sort of corner cover, when you have your weapon held up to your chest, most times you can press Aim and that will make you peek over/around said cover, to aim at anyone. When you want to peek back down, just release the aim button.

But if you don't aim, and press fire, chances are you'll poke your weapon and arm around the cover. I thought that was a pretty neat touch, especially with how well it works with shotguns! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Morter posted:

I don't know if anyone cares about this because I've only seen it mentioned in an pre-release review but not only is there a decent cover system, but you can blind-fire with it (something I didn't know until minutes ago).

In case you don't know: when you're up against a chest-high wall or any sort of corner cover, when you have your weapon held up to your chest, most times you can press Aim and that will make you peek over/around said cover, to aim at anyone. When you want to peek back down, just release the aim button.

But if you don't aim, and press fire, chances are you'll poke your weapon and arm around the cover. I thought that was a pretty neat touch, especially with how well it works with shotguns! :eng101:

I was very surprised with this game's cover system, really liked it. Reminded me a lot of a simpler to use version of Killzone 2/3's (don't remember which had it) cover system.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, they don't even mention it in the tutorial or anything. It's actually a really nice system though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Reminded me a lot of a simpler to use version of Killzone 2/3's (don't remember which had it)\

They both did. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood had something similar as well, though in all those cases they still weren't as slick and Far Cry 3.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah the cover system is awesome. I especially like how Jason moves the gun up when he's near walls, so when I peek round a corner with my gun held up against me I feel way more badass for some reason.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm not complaining that it's unrealistic (maybe "shtick" was the wrong word to use), I'm complaining that there's not much more to him than that. Yes, it's fun at first, but I eventually grew sick of it. At one point he talks about "the definition of insanity", which felt like a cheap attempt to be deep.

I just want to take a moment to enjoy the fact that we are now at a place in gaming where we actually care about things like one dimensional villains.

Also your standards are a bit high. It is by definition difficult to make a compelling villain without having that villain be one dimensional. Villains are supposed to be unsympathetic, thus giving the player motivation to defeat them in the first place. Remember that in addition to being a character Vaas is a setpiece, there to create a tone for the overall atmosphere of the game itself. His role is more than just the main bad guy, which is why he's the first person in the game you talk to. If you got to see Vaas: Family Man or something it wouldn't fit with the atmosphere that actively drives the game.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

TheSpiritFox posted:

Vaas: Family Man or something

The Pacifier 2, starring Vaas.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Baron Bifford posted:

The good guys are often crazier than the villains. Dr Earnhardt thinks Lisa is his dead daughter. And Citra... hoo boy.

It's Daisybut yeah.

Citra, ugh, really did not like her, but she did bring about one of the best parts of the game no, not the weird ritualistic sex, the huge ink monster thing whose face you blow up

Yodzilla posted:

I loving love Buck and even laughed at his stupid joke in the bar.
If Buck wasn't such an awful person, he would be the greatest, but what is that joke?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Like my sick Tat guys?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Fat_Cow posted:

Like my sick Tat guys?

You must have, like, all the island magic up in you.

That happened to me once too. I think it has to do with alt-tabbing out?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Looks like there will be at least one piece of post-release DLC: there are string table entries for two Co-op DLC maps, JAILBREAK and REDEMPTION.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man the loving checkpoints grrr. So bad. I just lost like a half hour of progress because I died.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Sedisp posted:

Eh, I don't really think that was the idea. You see the thing is (I'm going to hell) Vaas is basically using that idea to justify his murderings. A very typical crazy person thing, to him he's not crazy everyone else is.

I thought it was well done because of the timing he had already tried to kill you and his ramblings were more directed at himself to try and continue convincing himself that he was still sane.

His continued failures to kill you challenge that idea since by his very definition of insanity he fits the bill.
Ah, I think I understand better: He was referring to his previous failed attempts to kill Jason, so he uses a different execution method each time.

Still, that doesn't change my position Vaas has great style but not much substance. No witty jokes or wise observations, and not much in the way of emotional baggage other than "I loving HATE MY SISTER".

Barf Wight posted:

Citra, ugh, really did not like her, but she did bring about one of the best parts of the game no, not the weird ritualistic sex, the huge ink monster thing whose face you blow up

About the first sex scene, I'm not sure whether it's sexual assault (she drugged Jason) or whether she was just dry humping him (we never see him pull up his pants (or maybe Jason let his dong hang out when he addressed the Rakyat warriors).

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 6, 2012

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Morter posted:

The thing I love about the cover system is that it was totally intuitive for me. There was never a tutorial about it, never needed to be. Everything from the way you jump over it smoothly, to aiming from it, to the blind fire. It was like this game knew exactly what I was going to do as if by some kind of FPS magic.

My only complaint about the game, playing through a second time, is the save system.

Baron Bifford posted:

Still, that doesn't change my position Vaas has great style but not much substance. No witty jokes or wise observations, and not much in the way of emotional baggage other than "I loving HATE MY SISTER".

I don't know why everyone seems to gloss over the fact that the guy is also a drug addict but that basically made his whole schtick make a lot more sense to me. He's not just some wacky insane psycho villian. He's a drug addict who's mind has warped his perception of the world around him...not unlike his sister actually.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 6, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

TheSpiritFox posted:

I just want to take a moment to enjoy the fact that we are now at a place in gaming where we actually care about things like one dimensional villains.

Also your standards are a bit high. It is by definition difficult to make a compelling villain without having that villain be one dimensional. Villains are supposed to be unsympathetic, thus giving the player motivation to defeat them in the first place. Remember that in addition to being a character Vaas is a setpiece, there to create a tone for the overall atmosphere of the game itself. His role is more than just the main bad guy, which is why he's the first person in the game you talk to. If you got to see Vaas: Family Man or something it wouldn't fit with the atmosphere that actively drives the game.

Do you understand what "one dimensional" actually means?

Quoted from http://thewritingtools.blogspot.be/2009/07/one-two-and-three-dimensional_26.html :

quote:

A one-dimensional character constitutes the "walk on" parts of the story. These are your waiters, your cab drivers, bartenders, a mother walking down the street, or the random pikeman your hero stabs through the face (though not always). They are briefly seen and do not speak. One-dimensional characters that spend more than several pages in your story should be made two-dimensional, to add interest and possible subplots.

A two-dimensional character is the same as one-dimensional character except for the fact that they show one emotion or character trait. They are also known as "cardboard" characters, because they lack dimension. They now show a little bit of character through the reactions and emotions that they show. But everything they reveal is one-track, undeveloped, lacking reason, explanation, and depth.

Unlike the one-dimensional character, they must react through speech or gesture to reveal an emotional trait. Their reactions and integrations in the story are often brief, but not always. Though a main character may be present the majority of the story, if he/she is lacking depth, complexity, and history, the character becomes two-dimensional.

A three-dimensional character however, plays an important role in the story and constitutes all major characters, including villains. They have complex emotions and conflicting motives, troubled pasts and deep worries; they are alive with passion and ambition and desire, never apathetic (and if they are, they are overly apathetic).

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

About the first sex scene, I'm not sure whether it's sexual assault (she drugged Jason) or whether she was just dry humping him (we never see him pull up his pants (or maybe Jason let his dong hang out when he addressed the Rakyat warriors).
First? I'm guessing there's a second then, if you join her at the end? I did not. But yeah he was drugged out of his mind. It makes it hilarious to think these Rakyat dudes are completely in awe of this drugged out dude hanging dong.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Baron Bifford posted:

You actually see him wearing pants the whole time, the camera pans down briefly and you see that he's totally clothed. Now, whether that was done because of time and resources (less likely) or done to avoid controversy (more likely) is more the question. My interpretation of the scene is that it was just clothed dry-humping because my loving god I'm typing these words about a video game and what the hell am I doing with my life.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Barf Wight posted:

First? I'm guessing there's a second then, if you join her at the end? I did not. But yeah he was drugged out of his mind. It makes it hilarious to think these Rakyat dudes are completely in awe of this drugged out dude hanging dong.

She just took her top off. Because... bloody underboob is tribal magic fuel?

Island 2, non-story spoiler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuPtU1vWBXE

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

gibbed posted:

Looks like there will be at least one piece of post-release DLC: there are string table entries for two Co-op DLC maps, JAILBREAK and REDEMPTION.

They were announced the other day and they're console-exclusive (I think PS3 only?).
Not that it's a bad thing since the co-op is awful. MP is alright though, it's Call of Duty but with good map design.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cheston posted:

Yeah, on island 2 you basically become BatPunisher. It's pretty great.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011

Cheston posted:

she was also gyrating on top of him. In fact let's not discuss the technicalities of dryhumping

Gravity on Rook Island seems kinda funky

Edit: spoiler-related

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Well, yeah, but's that a whole different ballpark.

Barf Wight fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 6, 2012

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Barf Wight posted:

Gravity on Rook Island seems kinda funky

I take it you never surfed a 737 in Just Cause 2, then?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Bull Shotgun
Weapon Type: Shotgun
Cost: $3010
Unlock: 10 Relics Discovered

Shredder
Weapon Type: Silenced Vector Submachine Gun
Cost: $3275
Unlock: 10 Memory Cards Collected
I am still on the first island, clearing things out, and these two weapons pretty much never leave my side. The bull is a great anti-wildlife weapon, and the shredder is an absolutely amazing SMG. The shredder shits on the other SMGs, and is honestly so good that I am using it as my midrange weapon instead of the normal assault rifles. Past those I usually equip an m700 with suppressor and high power scope for my super long range ranged work, and a GL-94 grenade launcher for hilarity and clumped up groups.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 6, 2012

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
I can't stop playing coop, it's so good :dance:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Attention Horse posted:

I can't stop playing coop, it's so good :dance:

It's pretty good so long as you have a good connection and decent team-mates, yeah.

I like how they mix up the objectives enough to keep things interesting and how the fights are set up so that you really DO need more than one person covering the angles to get things done. Otherwise the bad guys will send a shotgunner around the back way to kill you.

Mr Asshat
Oct 28, 2005
Thank you far cry 3 thank you.
My girlfriend picked up the controller and started playing it while i was in the kitchen getting a snack and the following happened.

:3: Wow this island looks awesome i want to go there irl.
:munch: It sure is pretty, not so sure about the locals......
:3: Oh is that a jet ski, can i ride it?
:munch: Oh of course the world is your oyster.
:3: Yay jet ski *runs like a maniac towards it*
:krakken: Mraaaaaaaawrrrr *motherfucking stealth crocodile out of nowhere*
:3: *shrieks like a banshee, throws controller across room and turns into a quivering waterfall of tears*

I almost felt like an rear end in a top hat for laughing at her......almost.
Now she is afraid to play the game but she really likes watching it and she pretty much hides behind a pillow every time vaas appears.

And she did get some payback when a ninja tiger almost made me poo poo my pants.

Mr Asshat fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 6, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Barf Wight posted:

If Buck wasn't such an awful person, he would be the greatest, but what is that joke?

The one about Keith's name. I've really enjoy every moment he's on screen so far.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I've been driving through the story now because some skill unlocks required it. What divine inspiration caused the combination of arson and reggae dubstep, where can I buy the full game.

Standing on a hill gazing up at a towering inferno of my making through pink eyes as secondary detonations kill panicking pirates. The Badass Moments in Videogames thread remake is overdue.

e: Seriously enough of the tomb raider bullshit more of that please.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm about to go to the second island and this game got loving hard all of a sudden. Kind of annoyingly hard. i feel like I can't walk 3 feet without running into endless pirates and predators. It's almost unnerving. Like, its kind of stressful knowing I can't take a 2 second breather and if I die I am going to get bumped back to bad town which is like 5 miles away.

I can't really tell if it's a good or bad thing. Maybe a little of both.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I just discovered the world's most chillaxed guard. I was cleaning out a mine outpost on the second island, and thought I'd got everyone, but wasn't getting a victory message. So I started sneaking around, using the camera to try to tag him... still nothing. I was starting to think something had glitched (not for the first time) when I heard whistling and muttering. A bit more exploring... and I found him leaning against a building overlooking the main road, watching the sun set (he was possibly even having a smoke) and utterly oblivious that I'd just massacred all his buddies. I even crept up alongside him without being noticed. I was almost temptedjust to stand there to see how long it would take for me to register in his peripheral vision.

Almost. :ese:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

GUI posted:

They were announced the other day and they're console-exclusive (I think PS3 only?).
Not that it's a bad thing since the co-op is awful. MP is alright though, it's Call of Duty but with good map design.
Well that's lame.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gibbed posted:

Well that's lame.

Exclusivity is generally limited to x number of days or months unless stated otherwise.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Am I alone in actually liking the second island? It's got a distinctly different atmosphere to the first Island's tropical paradise, even the lighting having changed; it's harder and more bleak while still being beautiful in its own way, like Scotland or New Zealand (with added palm trees, obviously). There are parts that reminded me of the Yorkshire moors, which as a Yorkshireman made me all nostalgic.

Also, if you haven't shot a seagull yet, you should do so just to read Willis's file on them.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Icept posted:

So I did a little testing and you can substantially improve your sights if you're unsatisfied like I was. There are two things you need, the first is this mod from the Ubisoft forums: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/734149-Better-sights-mod

Just a heads up, if anyone downloaded the mod, the author has posted an updated version which also changes the ACOG sight.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Wow co-op feels insanely long and fleshed out.

I'm glad they start you out with a Russian character and an LMG/Pistol-shotgun combo :ussr:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Payndz posted:

I just discovered the world's most chillaxed guard. I was cleaning out a mine outpost on the second island, and thought I'd got everyone, but wasn't getting a victory message. So I started sneaking around, using the camera to try to tag him... still nothing. I was starting to think something had glitched (not for the first time) when I heard whistling and muttering. A bit more exploring... and I found him leaning against a building overlooking the main road, watching the sun set (he was possibly even having a smoke) and utterly oblivious that I'd just massacred all his buddies. I even crept up alongside him without being noticed. I was almost temptedjust to stand there to see how long it would take for me to register in his peripheral vision.

Almost. :ese:

This reminds me of my experience with the world's most panicked guard. There was a single guard in this huge confrontation with bullets flying everywhere and half the countryside on fire and he just repeatedly kept screaming the "OH MY GOD" bark over and over again.

Felt pretty bad for the dude.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aside from a few glaring flaws, this is easily the best open world sandbox game i have ever played. Usually I find sandbox games fun for the novelty but they lack any immersion for me. I get totally sucked in to FC3 however, and I get still get to do crazy poo poo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JebanyPedal posted:

This reminds me of my experience with the world's most panicked guard. There was a single guard in this huge confrontation with bullets flying everywhere and half the countryside on fire and he just repeatedly kept screaming the "OH MY GOD" bark over and over again.

Felt pretty bad for the dude.

Poor bastard failed his sanity check.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Icept posted:

Just a heads up, if anyone downloaded the mod, the author has posted an updated version which also changes the ACOG sight.
What weapon is the ACOG on anyway? I feel like I am reasonably far, yet I haven't found one.

Installing the patch anyway though. Anything which improves the optical sight on the vector is well appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

NESguerilla posted:

Aside from a few glaring flaws, this is easily the best open world sandbox game i have ever played. Usually I find sandbox games fun for the novelty but they lack any immersion for me. I get totally sucked in to FC3 however, and I get still get to do crazy poo poo.

Yeah, I normally get bored of constantly having to travel in sandboxes and how they usually just get mindless and repetitive, but FC3, I've been constantly entertained. The theoretical "reset outposts" mod would make it perfect.

• Locked thread