Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Make sure everyone that you take the drugs in the cave every time after rescuing a new person. (Not really a spoiler, it doesn't spoil anything other than something you can do to get more story).

ScienceAndMusic fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cardboard Box posted:

There'll still very rarely be some enemies, but yeah, clearing an outpost more or less makes that entire area completely safe, except for wildlife. It's kind of a misstep.
You can still get surprises, though. I went back to the first island to collect letters, and while driving through an area I'd cleared out early in the game I suddenly got the spotting warning. I thought it was an animal, but then two jeeps came tearing into a little homestead and a load of pirates piled out to start shooting everyone in sight.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Oh yeah, it doesn't completely get rid of them, but the encounters are fairly infrequent.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Adraeus posted:

How far is several feet? 25" 1080p display and two feet away here. The farther you are from the screen, the more you can fit everything on the screen into your useful field of view. I just tune out the HUD.

I've seen the same criticism scattered here and there, but not everyone is like the one guy who, earlier in this thread, ragequit over the HUD.

Somewhere between 2 and 3 feet (far enough). I almost exclusively play FPS games, and I don't think this is a case of me having no idea how to look at my monitor. Anyway, my original point was that my posture/resolution isn't going to change the fact that I don't want uninformative and obtrusive poo poo just lingering on my screen--and the HUD in this game seems to revel in reminding you of information that other games hide in a menu/journal, out of sight.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

If you want to get rid of the constant mission reminders, there's a method to do so in the PC Notes & Tweaks part of the OP. It made my enjoyment of the game go up significantly.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I'm still after a savegame from the beginning of the second island, managed to lose my saves and I don't feel like playing the tutorial and unskippable cutscenes again unless the busy modders get something heavily gameplay-altering out soon.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

You might be waiting forever then, because the chances of huge gameplay-altering mods is not high.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

You might be waiting forever then, because the chances of huge gameplay-altering mods is not high.
I just want someone to add dinosaurs :colbert:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
For those of you who bought the disc version of Far Cry 3: Is it possible to unlock and download it online from the UBI store, like you are able with STEAM titles?

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Cardboard Box posted:

Has Gibbed posted in this thread yet?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

He has, plenty, and he is working on tools, but I still wouldn't expect too much. Expectation leads to disappointment.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Am I missing something with the stealth in this game? I usually enjoy playing a stealthy person in these sort of open world games, but I can't help but feel like I'm getting caught repeatedly in this game even after I patiently throw rocks in the hopes of corralling the enemies together. I've only gotten one outpost liberated stealthily thus far and that's because of a lucky break with a tiger happening nearby.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Yeah something that adds more dudes to shoot or adds the wingsuit from the start or something would do fine really. v:shobon:v

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cardboard Box posted:

He has, plenty, and he is working on tools, but I still wouldn't expect too much. Expectation leads to disappointment.

All I want is for somebody to make a 1:1 STALKER mod in this game, and then install an add-on that changes the STALKER mod to behave more like Serious Sam. Not that complicated.

Could probably do it in a notepad and MSPaint.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 7, 2012

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Cardboard Box posted:

Given his track record, I look forward to all sorts of mad as gently caress mods.

Vanderdeath posted:

Am I missing something with the stealth in this game? I usually enjoy playing a stealthy person in these sort of open world games, but I can't help but feel like I'm getting caught repeatedly in this game even after I patiently throw rocks in the hopes of corralling the enemies together. I've only gotten one outpost liberated stealthily thus far and that's because of a lucky break with a tiger happening nearby.

Before you enter a outpost/camp, tag everything with the camera, if you're in foliage the enemy spotting range is like 20ft even looking right at you. All enemie's fields of view suck, like 20o wide suck. Stay in bushes, loop around people and never take 2 shots from the same spot.

Silenced weapons are NOT completely silent, however the bow is.

Pound_Coin fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 7, 2012

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

q!=e

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

Bushes. Hide in bushes.
Everyone I've talked too complaining/having trouble with stealth is completely forgetting crouching in a bush completely breaks line of sight unless you're fully spotted.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Make sure everyone that you take the drugs in the cave every time after rescuing a new person.

I just finished the game and I didn't do this at all. Maaaan :(

I think the mod that this game needs is one that lets you basically fly unrestricted. Just let me gain altitude on my flight suit so I can zoom across the island like superman, only landing when I want to.

I also want to add that its embarrassing how many times I would jump off a hill, trigger my flight suit and crash directly into the grown to die.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What's the deal with Uplay? If I by a ubi download key is there anyway to activate it with steam?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cardboard Box posted:

gibbed always sets the bar high.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Make sure everyone that you take the drugs in the cave every time after rescuing a new person.

Not to get nitpicky on you dude but this is a pretty bad example of a spoiler. Sure it isn't spoiling anything super important but the way you phrase it nobody could ever know whether or not they should mouse over it if they wanted to avoid spoilers.

Fonzarelli posted:

I just finished the game and I didn't do this at all. Maaaan :(

Well to give an idea what it is about, it is some flashback stuff before you go to the island. Contains first person Batusi and Robot dancing.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Having now beaten the game, I feel I must share my thoughts.

• This game is really fun, beautiful and has some good acting in it.
  • It's even pretty long. I sunk 33 hours into it.
  • About 2/3rds of the way through, the protagonist started getting angrier and tougher, which made me finally figure out just who it is he reminds me of: the guy from BroTeam
  • Yeah it makes no sense that this scared, rich white boy can tear through the island like Kratos through Olypmus, but it's a video game so whatever.
  • Vaas was a hundred times more interesting than Hoyt. Had they known in advance how great a job the actor was going to do, they should've cut the Hoyt half of the game entirely and just made more Vaas stuff.
  • The game drags a little in the middle and the story is kind of dumb. I guess that's true of almost every game ever made, so that's not too surprising. I still would've loved it had they taken a huge swerve at the end. Let this whole island adventure thing be a Schwarzenegger-style Total Recall vacation. Maybe have the bad ending be you loving Citra, ruling as a warlord (just a shot of him sitting in a throne looking like Conan the Warlord, with his stupid douchebag hairdo), then cutting to 10 years in the future where we find that having a diet composed of cocaine and murder eventually turns you into a monster like Vaas.
  • The Join Citra ending is a little dumb, but Citra killing you after sex makes a little more sense when you consider that everyone on this island is high on like 10 kinds of drugs at all times. I bet she's real surprised when she wakes up the next morning and finds out what she did.
  • Why does every villain in the game die in an empty disco where we have a quick time event fight? Vaas is especially confusing here, because he totally murders you with a knife to the chest before you both head to the disco. Hoyt's also confusing since if you could've just transported the both of you to the paraelemental plane of QTE right at the end of the poker game, you'd probably have gotten to keep your finger.
  • I only encountered one crocodile in 30 hours of playtime and it scared the ever loving poo poo out of me.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 7, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I still get the feeling that this whole island adventure is a drug-fueled hallucination, and that Jason is still in Bangkok. It helps explain lots of supernatural sequences in the film that cannot be easily explained by drugs unless you say the whole game is one big drug trip.

Or maybe this is just an example of magical realism that we're not supposed to think hard about.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Bedurndurn posted:

[*]The Join Citra ending is a little dumb, but Citra killing you after sex makes a little more sense when you consider that everyone on this island is high on like 10 kinds of drugs at all times. I bet she's real surprised when she wakes up the next morning and finds out what she did.
Or she discovers the hard way that the odds of becoming pregnant from just one act of intercourse is only 3-11%.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bedurndurn posted:

[*]The Join Citra ending is a little dumb, but Citra killing you after sex makes a little more sense when you consider that everyone on this island is high on like 10 kinds of drugs at all times. I bet she's real surprised when she wakes up the next morning and finds out what she did.

I thought it made fairly good sense actually. She's Vaas's sister and she's shown repeatedly to be a dangerous and probably unstable person from the very first interaction you have with her. She heads the native islanders primary military and religious organization and it seems pretty clear that she's had her own goals from the beginning and basically takes advantage of your highly successful revenge campaign to further them. If you're thinking with more than your dick and a bunch of tribal warrior bullshit filtered through the copious hallucinogens she feeds you it should be pretty clear that her motivations, reasoning process and methods of getting things done do not really align with your own. It shouldn't be surprising that things end badly for you once you've served your purpose by eliminating the threats to both the tribe's survival and her authority over the island. Especially when you kill off your connections to the outside world/your family by your own hand. Getting sacrificed to Citra's delusions is a far better ending than indulging in the fantasy of a mentally unhinged white-boy from California becoming a piratical god-king of Rook Island (both from a "realism" and thematic standpoint).

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

TweakGuides.com posted that their Far Cry 3 guide was recently finished and submitted to NVIDIA. It should be up by next week. I'm looking forward to combing through it.

az
Dec 2, 2005

People having trouble with the maneater should take a look at the rocks in the water a little to the left. You can swim there and stand on the rock while the maneater tries to get you and beaches its fat rear end.

And where are the psychedelic drugs in the cave to be found?

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Theres a little bowl with a sign pointing at it. The sign says EAT ME! Sort of near the entrance.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
So the refill ammo option is broken. It wants to charge $100 for a single sniper round, which should only cost $10, $8 after the discount.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Some of the rare animal hunting missions are so poorly designed I can't even believe I am playing the same game that seems to have so much good game design in it.
Specifically?

I found them all straightforward and easy to finish if a bit boring. Get to weapon stash, game autosaves so that if you die you load at the weapon and puts up a target area on the minimap so you know where to look. Every mission I can remember doing also had ingredients to craft hunting syringes right near the weapon stash.

Maybe they would have been less a chore to get an unlock and more exciting if they were scripted but that also has down sides.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

The only one I had trouble with was the yellow cassowary one, when I killed it, its corpse rolled down the cliff into a crevice I couldn't get to. Had to kill myself to reload. :v:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I don’t know how it is on the PC, but I am disappointed in the fire in this game on xbox. It doesn’t really seem to spread anywhere and just fizzles out. I used to be in awe of entire trees going up in the second game and camps becoming unintended infernos. Mark that as one of those cool things they decided to omit with FC2 along with more variable healing animations.

Saying that, the game is still great. It was the dead of night, and I was activating a radio tower and I started to hear noises. A lone pirate, out and alone in the middle of the night was throwing molotovs at every living thing that moved. He must have thrown about 40 while I just chilled on my radio tower and watched. I made sure that when I left, I didnt kill him. He's my kind of people.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I found an outpost with a caged bear and shot the cage open with an arrow from the bushes. Onward to freedom, little bear buddy! I'm cheering it on as it mauls the first guy. Good bear! I'm thinking, cool, I'll get my first ghosted outpost this way. But after its first kill, it beelines straight for me, taking the rest of the pirates with him. gently caress.

catpowerd posted:

Are any people playing on the pc having texture issues? whenever I move certain objects in the environment go blurry and get these weird black boxes on them.

Try turning off Morphological Filtering or Catalyst A.I. if they're enabled in your control panel.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

henpod posted:

I don’t know how it is on the PC, but I am disappointed in the fire in this game on xbox. It doesn’t really seem to spread anywhere and just fizzles out. I used to be in awe of entire trees going up in the second game and camps becoming unintended infernos. Mark that as one of those cool things they decided to omit with FC2 along with more variable healing animations.

The fire propagation definitely isn't as strong as it was in the second game. I have to assume at least part of that is because it's a jungle and not a dry savanna, but it's still a bit of a disappointment.

A lot of the stuff omitted from Far Cry 2 is curious, because I always thought that was a game of good ideas, just ideas that weren't particularly implemented well. It continues to have my favorite health system in a video game, though.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Is the deluxe DLC able to be bought separately? I was going to pick up a hard copy but if I'm not going to be able to get the extra stuff I might as well get the digital deluxe.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

gibbed posted:

The only one I had trouble with was the yellow cassowary one, when I killed it, its corpse rolled down the cliff into a crevice I couldn't get to. Had to kill myself to reload. :v:
That reminded me of one of the weirdest bits of AI I've seen - I saw a civilian carrying a girder (!) out in the middle of nowhere, and decided to follow him just to see what the hell he was doing. He walked all the way to the top of a hill, dropped the girder (the physics engine causing it to roll downhill for a bit before stopping) and then carried on down the slope.

Because I was curious about the object physics, I went to the girder and nudged into it. It rolled downhill again at quite a rate and knocked the guy over. :haw:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Crept up on an outpost, as you do. Since most of my attempts have been to make as much noise as possible while running berserk with the stabbingness, this time around I actually decided on the subtle approach, so I readied up my sniper rifle and took out the alarm and a couple of guards, but was having trouble getting position on the others. So to stir things up I blew up a barrel in the middle of camp.

That got them all riled up, so they decided to venture outside of their camp to go looking for little ol' me. There was one dude who was a little too keen on throwing his molotovs around (what is it with these guys?), unfortunately for him he started a bit of a grass fire, which ended up immolating himself and his buddy, allowing me to finally capture an outpost undetected.

I guess that's what they call friendly fire.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

...man the last four Letters of the Lost were not what I was expecting.

I'm surprised there's no further evidence of the mad science projects the Japanese were conducting on the islands. No ruined weather control generators or animal mind control ray beams or anything.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I love me some landmine-ing patrolling jeeps then setting off the secondary C4 as dudes come to investigate the first explosion.

Even better is hiding in a bush at the side of the road, letting the first dudes get landmined, then sneaking out to stick c4 on the back of the responding jeep.

They get out, have a look around, check over the bodies, get back in their jeep, drive back towards wherever they came frBOOOOOOM.

Unrelated: I got the digital deluxe edition, where's all the DLC/ADD-ONs at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Anybody have any idea how I'm supposed to get up here?

I've explored the entire surrounding area and can't for the life of me find a way up these rocks, and there's items up there. :( I suppose I could find a hangglider and try my luck with that...

• Locked thread