Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They have books for all of the at-home jobs. And then a book for reading books twice as fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Schubalts posted:

They have books for all of the at-home jobs. And then a book for reading books twice as fast.

Please tell me you get this book last, just out of pure Atlus brand spite.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's just really funny to me for some reason. I wonder if it's sort of balanced out by having more night activities to do this time around, or if the points given and points received have been changed around. Getting the Knowledge one so early though seems big, since that's a whole lot of game ahead of you where you will only need to study half as much.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I've been playing with the costumes and if you put on the bath towel and talk to Kanji, he'll ask if he can touch your chiseled abs. :allears:

I flirt with the guys any chance I get. The only reason I dated Chie instead of Naoto is because I couldn't bear to break Kanji's little heart like that.

I also really love any opportunity to piss off Yosuke or make him incredibly uncomfortable. And there are plenty of opportunities for that.

Also, endgame spoilers. The bath scene after beating the Hollow Forest is the absolute worst thing I've seen in a Persona game and just goes to show that Marie was designed to be nothing more than fan service.

Fortunately, the scene is short and barely mentioned again, so I can easily pretend that it never happened. This game is otherwise perfect.... But it had to have that loving scene didn't it?

Nessa fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 7, 2012

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is there a list of where to get these books somewhere?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Got the Valentine's event with the dudes. It was glorious. :allears: Yosuke called us "bromantically entangled" and then he and Teddie tried to co-opt Kanji's thank you gift to MC-kun.

Certainly better than any lameass date with a girl. :colbert:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is there a list of where to get these books somewhere?

Crossposted from this faq http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/641695-persona-4-golden/faqs/64387

:eng101: From The Book Store :eng101:

The Amazing Khan Series

Title : The Lovely Man
Price : 1500 Yen
Found : Sold at Book Store on April 20th
Chapters : 2
Effects : Increase Courage

Title : Forever Macho
Found : Sold at Book Store on June 1st
Effects : Increase Courage

Title : Man of History
Found : Sold at Book Store on July 15th
Effects: Increase Courage

Title : Man-God
Found : Sold at Book Store on August 24th

Title : Farewell to Man
Price : 1200 Yen
Found : Sold at Book Store on October 9th

The Bullied Teacher Series

Title : Off Today
Found : Sold at Book Store on May 6th
Effects : Increase Understanding

Title : Short on Cash
Found : Sold at Book Store on June 28th
Effects : Increase Understanding

Title : Changing Careers
Found : Sold at Book Store on August 5th
Effects: Increase Understanding

Title : Sensei's Friends
Found : Sold at Book Store on September 20th

Title : The Final Lesson
Found : Sold at Book Store on November 1st

Technique Books

Title : Beginner Fishing
Price : 1600 Yen
Chapters : 3
Effects : Increase more fishing chances

Title : Expert Study Method
Price : 2800 Yen
Effects : Increase the amount of knowledge gained when studying.

Title : Office Work Manual
Price : 2800 Yen
Found : Sold at Book Store on May 6th
Effects : Increase the amount of Diligence gained when making envelopes.

Title : Easy Origami
Price : 3000 Yen
Found : Sold at Book Store after rescuing Kanji.
Effects : Gained more Understanding when folding cranes.

Title : English Made Easy
Price : 3200 Yen
Found : Sold at Book Store after rescuing Kanji.
Effects : Increase the amount of Expression gained when making translating.

:eng99: Books from Quests and Events :eng99:

Title : The O-Cha Way
Found : Sport Club Event August 10
Effects: Increase Knowledge and Expression

Title : The Gentle Way
Found : Finish Quest No.18

Title : The Divine Way
Found : Summer Event on August 21

Title : The Ramen Way
Found : Given by Aiya's Owner

Title : The Punk Way
Found : Finish Quest No.20

Title : Guide to Pests
Found : Finish Quest No.22
Effects: Increase Knowledge and Courage

Title : Witch Detective
Found : Sport Club Event May 29
Effects: Increase Understanding and Diligence

Title : Fun with Numbers
Found : Sport Club Event on July 15, July 17

Title : Riddlemania
Found : Finish Quest No.27

Title : Who Am I?
Found : Finish Quest No.34
Effects: Increase Knowledge and Diligence

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Just a cursory glance, but that guide is missing a bunch of books, notably the speed reading one, among others.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kashiwagi gives you the Gekkou uniform costumes for acing the last exam. It makes everyone mimic a SEES pose and catchphrase and is pretty great fanservice.

Anyone know who Kanji's supposed to be? I've narrowed it down between Akihiko and Shinjiro, but I've got no idea.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Anyone know who Kanji's supposed to be? I've narrowed it down between Akihiko and Shinjiro, but I've got no idea.

It's Akihiko.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nessa posted:

Also, endgame spoilers. The bath scene after beating the Hollow Forest is the absolute worst thing I've seen in a Persona game and just goes to show that Marie was designed to be nothing more than fan service.

Fortunately, the scene is short and barely mentioned again, so I can easily pretend that it never happened. This game is otherwise perfect.... But it had to have that loving scene didn't it?

I could not press Start faster than when that scene started playing last runthrough. The tits are one thing (did I really just say that), but the split second shot of Teddie and Yosuke getting boners really put it over the line for me. You can take Persona out of the anime, but you can't take the anime out of Persona. :(

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Strange Quark posted:

Got the Valentine's event with the dudes. It was glorious. :allears: Yosuke called us "bromantically entangled" and then he and Teddie tried to co-opt Kanji's thank you gift to MC-kun.

Certainly better than any lameass date with a girl. :colbert:

Well I was planning on doing Ai or someone I hadn't seen before but this is clearly the correct answer.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pollyanna posted:

the split second shot of Teddie and Yosuke getting boners

I didn't notice that. Holy poo poo, that's hilarious.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Wait, what's wrong with the music club again?

I don't recall anything off in the PS2 version, but then again I probably didn't advance the S Link very far back then...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's just not as interesting as the other social links.

She has poor self esteem, that's about it.

Plus she's like 1/3 the protagonist's height so if you go the romance route it's a little creepy looking.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Dr Pepper posted:

It's just not as interesting as the other social links.

She has poor self esteem, that's about it.

Plus she's like 1/3 the protagonist's height so if you go the romance route it's a little creepy looking.

All I can ever think of when making my choices is that Hiimdaisy comic.

WHO WANTS TO HELP ME WITH MY SELF-ESTEEM ISSUES?!

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Volt Catfish posted:

Wait, what's wrong with the music club again?

I don't recall anything off in the PS2 version, but then again I probably didn't advance the S Link very far back then...

She looks like this

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It's SELF ESTEEM ISSUES or if, god forbid, you opt to romance her it becomes self esteem issues with a side order of "you appear to be romancing someone who is 8 years old, call the police y/y?"

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I side with Drama Club all the time, even if her forehead is the size of Mars.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah, the tank with the flame pattern on it should totally be immune to ice and have a weakness to fire. What a dick move :(

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
3/5 stats maxed out, I'm just about to enter the secret laboratory dungeon. Fun stuff, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm not getting enough of the S-Links done. Chie's maxed, everyone but Naoki, Old Lady, Day Care, Tutor are around the 5ish level. Haven't even started Naoto yet. Doesn't the old lady only show up on Sundays, too? Ugh, she's going to be a hassle.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shinjobi posted:

3/5 stats maxed out, I'm just about to enter the secret laboratory dungeon. Fun stuff, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm not getting enough of the S-Links done. Chie's maxed, everyone but Naoki, Old Lady, Day Care, Tutor are around the 5ish level. Haven't even started Naoto yet. Doesn't the old lady only show up on Sundays, too? Ugh, she's going to be a hassle.

And holidays, but yeah, you'll want to prioritize Death if you want to max it. You only get two chances to rank it up after December. I managed to max everything out but had Death sitting at 7 by the end.

Also, you can't start Naoto's Link until after you beat the Secret Laboratory anyway.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 8, 2012

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Shinjobi posted:

Sundays and holidays. Fortunately, I believe as long as you bring a death persona with you when you do the Link it will always rank-up each visit.

Don't stress out too much about S. Links, honestly. Prioritize your party members and maybe Nanako/Dojima and put everyone else second, at least for your first run through the game. Maxing all your links on a fresh run requires a pretty tight gameplan and clearing most dungeons ASAP and in one day, which can get pretty grindy. It's much easier in a second cycle with your stats pre-maxed and a compendium filled with persona of all arcanas.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

She looks like this

She does look weird and the slink is kinda boring, but I don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be. Though, then again, I also have no intention to go the romance route. That probably is pretty creepy.

The character would be 100% improved without the weird cheeks.

Shinjobi posted:

Remember that this version added in some ways to get SLink points (though not to level it up) without actually going out with someone. You can use the shrine or whatever to the chance of actually leveling it up when you meet her.

Speaking of the post-december game, how much of it is actually playable? Is it a lot of events that skip a lot of time or what?

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Meiteron posted:

Sundays and holidays. Fortunately, I believe as long as you bring a death persona with you when you do the Link it will always rank-up each visit.

The Death S. Link doesn't look at persona at all, it will always rank up if you hang out with her, no matter what you bring or what you say.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

UraniumFuelElement posted:

The Death S. Link doesn't look at persona at all, it will always rank up if you hang out with her, no matter what you bring or what you say.

Huh. Was it like that in vanilla P4 too? I could have sworn I got shafted with a weekend that had no upgrade in the PS2 version, but that was years ago and I might be remembering wrong.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Sankis posted:

Speaking of the post-december game, how much of it is actually playable? Is it a lot of events that skip a lot of time or what?

There's a skip in early January, and you only get up to Valentine's Day in February. Then it skips straight to the day you leave Inaba. It's just an extra month or so of playtime.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm a little bummed that they didn't let you have all of February, at least.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question for the jester link (big spoilers)
I heard that you get a bad end if you finish it. Like, the instant it gets finished. How are you supposed to max every link if that happens? I also heard a new one forms if you break it at the end, I'm just kind of confused.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I heard that you get a bad end if you finish it. Like, the instant it gets finished. How are you supposed to max every link if that happens? I also heard a new one forms if you break it at the end, I'm just kind of confused.

It ranks up via story past a certain rank. Your spoiler is done via multiple choice prompt.

Whoops forgot the important part of the first sentence.

MotU fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 8, 2012

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There are two ways to max the link. One is through the Conspirator bad ending which auto-maxes it from like 8. The other first changes Arcana (when you meet Adachi alone) and then ranks up to 9 after you beat Adachi and then to 10 at the True Ending.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I was just wondering if I'm still in the running for max S Links with what I have at the moment.

It's currently 8/12:
Fool 7
Magician 6
Priestess 8
Empress 4
Emperor 6
Hiero 9
Lovers 3
Chariot 8
Justice MAX
Hermit 9
Strength 4
Hanged 4
Death 2
Temper 3
Devil 9
Tower 4
Star 4
Moon 2
Sun 7
Jester 6
Aeon 4

I'm also wondering if I'm missing any links I could already have started. (I know that Fortune is after the next dungeon)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think I was in worse shape than you are at that point and I'm pretty sure I'll hit it by then.

Also, Music S.Link was far more tolerable in the anime than she was in the game. Like, holy poo poo. The voice isn't ridiculous, her issues are way compressed and dealt with quickly, and there's no romance portion to it.

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
I just went with the music club because I'd seen most of the drama club from Giant Bomb's endurance run.

I'm not a creeper, I swear.

I've just been running through Yukiko's dungeon getting quest items. It's really satisfying to be able to run through the levels so quickly (though I still fight Shadows so I can get money).

Any tips for dealing with money hands at early levels? I always end up wasting far too much SP on them and they run away before I can kill them.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Don't bother with spells, they resist all the elements. Use physical attacks.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Moriveth posted:

I just went with the music club because I'd seen most of the drama club from Giant Bomb's endurance run.

I'm not a creeper, I swear.

I've just been running through Yukiko's dungeon getting quest items. It's really satisfying to be able to run through the levels so quickly (though I still fight Shadows so I can get money).

Any tips for dealing with money hands at early levels? I always end up wasting far too much SP on them and they run away before I can kill them.

Early game your best bet for the Money hands is to have Chie use Rebellion/Revolution, and then just pray for a crit.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hit level 99. The only grinding I really did was for cash. This game's exp gains are kind of broken.

Am I correct in assuming that, like in P4, none of my sellable inventory carries over to NG+?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

That is correct. Items unlocked at Daidara do carry over, though.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I went with music the first time I played because I would rather join a music club in real life than a drama club.

Then around rank 3 or 4 I said "Well that was interesting. Time to stop caring about this Social Link." (I'm in the drama club now and I don't really like Yumi either, to be honest.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Neither of the Sun links are any good, to be honest.

• Locked thread