Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I restarted FF7 last night, that game is pretty rough thesedays. I probably start it every few years but this is the first time I've looked upon it as being a genuinely old game the same way I felt going back and playing FF4-6 half a decade or so ago. I mean I still love it, I just sit there and go "Ok I did legimately complete 7 at some point, can't say the same for eight and nine, maybe I'd be better spending my time wrapping those up.

Pretty sure I've got an old FF8 save where I'm somewhere on disc 2 sitting at level 8 or so having bossed gently caress out the games mechanics., really should get that loving thing signed and sealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Cage
Sep 7, 2004

Doin' big things
So I'm a few hours into a XIII-2 and it's pretty much what I expected: solid gameplay with horrifically bad characters/story.

So Snow spends XIII being that ~*~*~MY GIRLFRIEND~*~*~ guy, but then just peaces out for a year to find Lightning for Serah? Alone. Yeah.

Also, not being able to see the Crystarium path is really annoying.

I'm still having fun with the game though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
See here's something you kind of have to know about Snow... he's a dumbass. He'll spend a whole game trying to save his girlfriend then think it's a good idea to run off and find his girlfriend's sister just because he calls her sis even though she hates his guts.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I think it comes down to the fact that Serah is safe, so he can't save her. Whereas, Lightning is lost somewhere and possibly in need of saving.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Johnny Cage posted:

So I'm a few hours into a XIII-2 and it's pretty much what I expected: solid gameplay with horrifically bad characters/story.

So Snow spends XIII being that ~*~*~MY GIRLFRIEND~*~*~ guy, but then just peaces out for a year to find Lightning for Serah? Alone. Yeah.

Not being able to see the Crystarium path? You can view all nodes on any given level and the shape they form is related to their weapons (Serah/Noel) or the species of monster.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Johnny Cage posted:

The Crystarium path doesn't matter, it's a straight line around in the shape of your weapons, then you get a bonus, then you go back to the start. All that matters is choosing which job you want to level on which node.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
What's the best version of Final Fantasy III? DS, PSP or iOS? The PSP version is $20 on the PSN Store but the iOS version is on sale for $10.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kaleidoscope posted:

What's the best version of Final Fantasy III? DS, PSP or iOS? The PSP version is $20 on the PSN Store but the iOS version is on sale for $10.

The NES version.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kaleidoscope posted:

Of those, probably PSP or iOS since the DS version has those stupid Mognet unlocks that would be a pain in the rear end to get. Otherwise, from what I understand all these versions are essentially identical.

Mordaedil posted:

The NES version.

But this would be my answer. For the remake, they actually upped the old-school difficulty bullshit, making a NES RPG even more tedious and grindy, without actually updating the gameplay to include stuff like save points. Battles are more of a slog in the remake, and random encounters have more bullshit like double attacks to make up for the three-enemy battle engine limitation. The only major improvement the remake did was rebalance the classes so that all of them have their own advantages.

The NES version is quicker and less difficult. You get to play around with the job system immediately after the first boss rather than wait after another dungeon. Random encounters can still be a pain, but have much less bullshit surprises. In this version, most jobs are useless after a certain point, but they're more focused on new jobs being direct upgrades rather than new alternate choices like in FF5.

---

Anyway, I've ditched my old playthrough of that FF1 hack and decided to go all Sages, since the one I had was pretty much annihilating everything. Just beat Astos, and it's not been too difficult, though it does require a bit of grinding for money. Their MP reserves are ridiculously high, and Fire can OHKO a ton of stuff, plus Heal is pretty handy. On the other hand, they are ridiculously fragile, and there's a good chance your front sages will die a lot. Definitely not a challenge for the OCD types.

The main problem now is their bad speed, which means enemies get some hits in before my sages wipe the field with Fira. But that's what Heal and Cure are for, and it's nice that Heal and Fira both cost 8MP while my Sages each near 150MP. Barely made it out of Marsh Cave with any MP, though having Warp was pretty handy, as was collecting a nice bit of change.

Can't wait until I get some more spells and cash to buy them with. Battles are a joke as long as the Sages don't get hit.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the best version of Final Fantasy Tactics? The original or War of the Lions? I've been meaning to try getting into SRPG's.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Kaleidoscope posted:

The PSP version has a fast-forward feature, so there's that.

Red Suit posted:

What's the best version of Final Fantasy Tactics? The original or War of the Lions? I've been meaning to try getting into SRPG's.

War of the Lions (PSP) with the slowdown fix patch.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
FF1, 2, 3, Dimensions, and probably something else (but not FFT, it seems) are 40% off on iOS for the next week. Finally went and bought FFD (plus 1&2 because why not) so hopefully it earns the $18 it cost.

Kaleidoscope posted:

There isn't one. :negative:

e: Since FF1 and 2 on iOS appear to be the GBA versions, FF2 is pretty bug-free and stat gains are a balanced a bit better, or is agility still hell to level early on and pretty much requires not using armor like the buggy NES version?

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 8, 2012

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kaleidoscope posted:

NES version, probably. Not even being flippant, it's the only one of those that's even close to enjoyable to play. I mean, it's still not fun, but at least it's not as awful as the remake. If you absolutely must play it I guess get the iOS version while it's cheap. You're not missing a damned thing if you skip it, though.

Johnny Cage
Sep 7, 2004

Doin' big things

Azure_Horizon posted:

Not being able to see the Crystarium path? You can view all nodes on any given level and the shape they form is related to their weapons (Serah/Noel) or the species of monster.

Artix74 posted:

The Crystarium path doesn't matter, it's a straight line around in the shape of your weapons, then you get a bonus, then you go back to the start. All that matters is choosing which job you want to level on which node.

OK so I watched a couple youtube videos on the crystarium and the system makes much more sense. The even/odd thing for SAB and SYN is strange, but oh well.

Before going any further, I'm thinking a the roles I should mainly focus on would be something like:

Serah: RAV, SAB, MED
Noel: COM, SYN, SEN (later), MED (later)

Serah would make the better SAB, due to higher magic stats, right? From XIII I was under the impression that for a SYN, magic stats weren't that important, since Sazh was probably the best one.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Am I the only person that actually really liked XIII-2's story? I don't think I've ever laughed as hard as when I got to the last cutscene of that game

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Murodese posted:

Am I the only person that actually really liked XIII-2's story? I don't think I've ever laughed as hard as when I got to the last cutscene of that game

No I have soft spots for farce and time travel, so I was totally set for the first half of the game, before it tried getting all serious.

I'll cop to enjoying the rest as well, at the time, but that was mostly for the clever elaborate meta-plot which - I've since come to realise - almost certainly doesn't actually exist.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh no, I love FFXIII-2's story. In a day and age where every story out there is trying too hard to be serious, dark or just plain bad at telling anything interesting, XIII-2's just got a silly video game story. It doesn't ask you to take it seriously, because everything is so discombobulated and over the top that it's just reminding it's a silly video game and you shouldn't focus too hard on what's going on.

That's not to say it's good, but at least I can sit there and laugh with it rather than be embarrassed by it trying so hard. ...Except Mog, gently caress Mog and his stupid staff.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Johnny Cage posted:

OK so I watched a couple youtube videos on the crystarium and the system makes much more sense. The even/odd thing for SAB and SYN is strange, but oh well.

Before going any further, I'm thinking a the roles I should mainly focus on would be something like:

Serah: RAV, SAB, MED
Noel: COM, SYN, SEN (later), MED (later)

Serah would make the better SAB, due to higher magic stats, right? From XIII I was under the impression that for a SYN, magic stats weren't that important, since Sazh was probably the best one.

It depends on if you want to min/max. There's a specific setup to getting the best possible stats which requires leveling certain Jobs on specific nodes (there are small and large types, with different benefits) at different levels (split between odd/even).

Really, you can play how you want, but if you want the best possible endgame stats for Serah and Noel you'll have to follow a specific order.

Both of them have different benefits from each job; Noel gets heal-all spells, but Serah gets the best single-target heal spells, etc.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
Like FFIII before it, the DS version of FFIV is being ported to iOS devices. Apparently it has selectable difficulty levels but I dunno if it has anything else changed. I thought the DS version was a little too hard so being able to make it a bit easier would be nice. I've already bought this game a bunch of times so I'll probably pass on this one.

http://operationrainfall.com/final-fantasy-iv-mobile-devices/

vvv: oh, yeah, oops, it's iOS only.

heartcatcher fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 8, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

glod posted:

Like FFIII before it, the DS version of FFIV is being ported to phones.

Only iPhones. I would bitch about this, but Dimensions isn't out yet in the States (or outside Japan AFAIK), so meh. :sigh:

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Kyrosiris posted:

Only iPhones. I would bitch about this, but Dimensions isn't out yet in the States (or outside Japan AFAIK), so meh. :sigh:

Square doesn't make any sense when it comes to Android releases. They have a Japan only Android store and they have given it an exclusivity period over all other app stores outside of Japan. This isn't an exclusivity period within Japan, because they have their own app store already. It's a period for stores that they can't even compete with.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Periodic reminder that the director for FFIIIDS was also the director for most of XI and the mastermind of the XIV 1.0 fiasco. That pretty much explains everything.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was excited when I heard "FF:Dimensions 40% off!" Then less excited when I realized that was $18

At this rate they're going to release FF4 as a full priced DS game.

On the other hand at least it's Universal, if you download World Ends With You on an iPhone and iPad it's $40

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Square seems to be trying to just go with "charge full console/handheld prices on phones" while ignoring that smartphone ports of the games aren't as good due to the controls. The amount of times I've done single target spells instead of multi-target in FF2 because of the picky controls is annoying. It's kind of made up for by FF2 being easier on iOS, or feeling like it is for whatever reason.

I wonder if they'll ever port the Dragon Quest games to iOS, and how many will be :20bux: or more since enough people seem to pay full price.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Square seems to be trying to just go with "charge full console/handheld prices on phones" while ignoring that smartphone ports of the games aren't as good due to the controls. The amount of times I've done single target spells instead of multi-target in FF2 because of the picky controls is annoying. It's kind of made up for by FF2 being easier on iOS, or feeling like it is for whatever reason.

I wonder if they'll ever port the Dragon Quest games to iOS, and how many will be :20bux: or more since enough people seem to pay full price.

They won't because largely Western audiences don't buy Dragon Quest games (at least not in the numbers they do for FF titles) and Japanese audiences don't buy iOS games (the iPhone isn't nearly as much of a thing here and they tend to favor F2P card games on mobile devices).

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
Since it seems no one is mentioning this, here's a cool piece of news.

finalfantasy-xiii.net posted:

Square Enix have revealed their line-up for the upcoming Jump Festa, and among the few titles, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII will be showing as video-only. We don’t know yet if this will be the gameplay from the reveal, or something new like a Trailer of CG or Gameplay.
The other titles appearing at Jump Festa by Square-Enix are Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX, Dragon Quest VII, Dragon Quest X, and Gyrozetter: Wings of the Albatross.

Jump Festa 2013 will be on December 22~23 I believe. And yes this year, not actually 2013.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Raruna posted:

Since it seems no one is mentioning this, here's a cool piece of news.

Jump Festa 2013 will be on December 22~23 I believe. And yes this year, not actually 2013.

No mention of a Type-0 release for the Western market. No mention of Versus XIII. :sigh:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Dragon Quest VII? Are they remaking it for the Vita or something? It's going to be really hard for them to outdo IX.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Dragon Quest VII? Are they remaking it for the Vita or something? It's going to be really hard for them to outdo IX.

3DS. Japanese release is early next year.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

W.T. Fits posted:

No mention of Versus XIII. :sigh:

I'm sticking with "they're sawing off the XIII and calling it FFXV or just Final Fantasy Versus or something and making it an early next-gen release, possibly a launch window killer app for Sony".

Baku fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 9, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

For anyone else that has FF2 on iOS, does the snowcraft's card game work properly for you? When I bring it up it doesn't seem to load any words or icons, and once you tap around to find the invisible start button the cards show up (face down) so I'm not sure if it's even possible to play through it flawlessly without some sort of completely insane luck.

Kind of a pity because I'd probably have farmed Toad up to level 16 to play for gear but it doesn't seem worth it now.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm sticking with "they're sawing off the XIII and calling it FFXV or just Final Fantasy Versus or something and making it an early next-gen release, possibly a launch window killer app for Sony".

Yeah, there's no way they're going to throw away the millions of dollars that they've invested in the game. There's a lot of negative press surrounding it, so I'm guessing the next time it surfaces, they'll have an exact release date as well.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Haven't posted in this thread in a while but here's a good article on what would be missing from a hypothetical VII remake.

http://www.1up.com/features/five-things-final-fantasy-vii-remake

Can't argue with any of it. Would likely be poo poo.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
Some time this year I decided to attempt to go through the Final Fantasy games in order, or at least race my friend through the ones Hironobu Sakaguchi was responsible for.

This seemingly fizzled half-way through the Playstation rehash (played on the trusty PSP) of Final Fantasy, because I got fairly far but then forgot what I was actually supposed to do next. So now, I'm in a random location, basically suffering amazing amnesia.

Which will likely require me to restart the game :(.

One thing that's always baited me to try though, is an Excalibur II run of Final Fantasy IX, the snag with this is all I have to play it is the PSP port because I made the stupid mistake of trusting friends with my property.

To which I believe, whilst Excalibur II /is/ possible on the PAL version, it's only possible through skipping the cut-scenes, which is impossible on the PSP.

EDIT: Although as my numerous FFIX playthroughs will attest to, Gizamaluke will force me to sink time into a leveling sprint lest he molest my face.

gredgie fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 10, 2012

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Does anyone have any favorite articles, criticism, or blog posts about Final Fantasy IX? I'm doing a short series of essays in the next couple weeks on my blog, and I want to give credit where credit is due.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

gredgie posted:

EDIT: Although as my numerous FFIX playthroughs will attest to, Gizamaluke will force me to sink time into a leveling sprint lest he molest my face.

Gizamaluke is actually pretty easy, though OFS would probably be better to ask about it. Basically, if you aren't trying to steal the Ice Rod from him, since your party is made up completely of damage-dealers, you can just pound through his HP super fast. If you went in with Zidane almost in Trance, I bet you could clear it in like two rounds of everyone attacking.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Kunzelman posted:

Does anyone have any favorite articles, criticism, or blog posts about Final Fantasy IX? I'm doing a short series of essays in the next couple weeks on my blog, and I want to give credit where credit is due.

Yep.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this article posted:

Secondly, there's...well, let's start by looking at Tifa and Rinoa. Final Fantasy VIII's Rinoa had her fans, but to put it bluntly, there is far less Rinoa hentai floating around cyberspace than there is of VII's buxom heroine. It is an established fact that you can gauge the populariy anime/video game character by the amount of people drawing them naked and posting them on the Internet, and its is unlikely that this discrepancy between Tifa and Rinoa smut escaped Square's attention. The natural solution was to fetishize Dagger in a similar vein as Tifa. But instead of giving Dagger a massive bust, they focused on her booty instead.

Godspeed, internet essay man. Godspeed.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
In all seriousness, I didn't know the depths of terrible writing that believes it is amazing until I starting finding articles about the Final Fantasy series. It truly is the nadir subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Kunzelman posted:

I mean, there is the SocksMakePeopleSexy article, but man is it wrong in so many aspects.