Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
loving hippy and his Control skill. I have no idea how I cleared this without a problem on the PS2. Chie, Naoto and Yukiko simply obliterate me in one turn. I'm thinking a Null Phys Persona and trying to squeeze off a Rakukaja before they act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Guard, guard, and more guard.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Guarding takes my health down to just half, so I can either heal and die or guard and die.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think Shadow World has really grown on me and now I actually prefer it over the original opening.

For me it's been worth it, though I did trade in basically my entire Wii library to make the Vita price a bit more reasonable. At least there presumably will be an English release of Ys IV eventually as well.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tam Lin resists Fire and Physical, which should probably be enough to defend against Yukiko and Chie. Naoto's more unpredictable, but unless he uses Megidola he shouldn't do too much damage.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is there anyway to leave the February dungeon? Traesto doesn't work. Does it have to be done in one go?

You can use that dungeon's equivalent of a Goho-M. I forget what it's called, but it's pretty dang common.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

It didn't look like I had anyway. Oh well, turns out I didn't need them. And wow, that second bath scene came out of nowhere. That was weird, and way more risque then the first one. I mean, get why it was there, fanservice sells and all that. But it was very random.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

kirbysuperstar posted:

loving hippy and his Control skill. I have no idea how I cleared this without a problem on the PS2. Chie, Naoto and Yukiko simply obliterate me in one turn. I'm thinking a Null Phys Persona and trying to squeeze off a Rakukaja before they act.

Control ain't a problem if the fight ends before then! :v: Spam Makarakarn once the atmosphere changes and the boss pretty much deals with himself.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I survived that tri-control with something like 30 HP left.

Also, I bitchslapped the poo poo out of Ameno-sagiri hard.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Tam Lin resists Fire and Physical, which should probably be enough to defend against Yukiko and Chie. Naoto's more unpredictable, but unless he uses Megidola he shouldn't do too much damage.

Alright, Tam Lin sounds like a good choice. If Naoto DOES use Megidola I am going to cry.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
edit

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Does anyone know if anyplace is selling a legal and reasonably priced copy of the soundtrack in a digital format?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Winter music owns.

Also, they really make you feel more committed to your lover relationship in this game. I guess that's why some of you goons are feeling guilty about two-timing :colbert:

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

They really did a great job capturing the characters' personalities in the way they text.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I have a question about the jester slink.

I have him up to 3. It's my understanding that 3-6 are all at night. However, when I go see him at night the game says I should speak with him when he's less busy? I know these are days he's available because the in game voice thing is telling me other people did it.

I don't suppose this slink is one of the "one level per visit" ones, eh? I have MAYBE 5 or so availability left.

I also can't seem to find Death. I know she's out every sunday but I don't see her anywhere. I already met her in the Devil slink, too, which is at 4 or so. Is there a second visit?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

This isn't my first rodeo atlus. You can't fool me by fading to black with this nurse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

4 is right for the devil S. link, yeah. Death's at the riverbank on Sundays and Holidays.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sankis posted:

I have a question about the jester slink.

I have him up to 3. It's my understanding that 3-6 are all at night. However, when I go see him at night the game says I should speak with him when he's less busy? I know these are days he's available because the in game voice thing is telling me other people did it.

I don't suppose this slink is one of the "one level per visit" ones, eh? I have MAYBE 5 or so availability left.

I also can't seem to find Death. I know she's out every sunday but I don't see her anywhere. I already met her in the Devil slink, too, which is at 4 or so. Is there a second visit?

Two important questions:

1) Have you rescued whoever's in the TV yet?
2) What date is it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Troffen posted:

They really did a great job capturing the characters' personalities in the way they text.

I laughed pretty hard when Yukiko sent me an SMS that opened with " Do you like scary movies?".

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

King of Solomon posted:

Two important questions:

1) Have you rescued whoever's in the TV yet?
2) What date is it?

Yup. I rescued Naoto on Day 1 and just did Adachi's Slink the day after. Date is, I think, either 9/19,9/20, or 9/21.

Edit: Speaking of which, is Fox much cheaper in this new version or am I simply getting more money? I'd never have been able to constantly go back to Fox in a dungeon and clear it in a game day on PS2.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 10, 2012

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sankis posted:

Yup. I rescued Naoto on Day 1 and just did Adachi's Slink the day after. Date is, I think, either 9/19,9/20, or 9/21.

Alright, so there's no plot reason that Adachi should be busy. Try visiting during the day in addition to the night, you might just be trying at the wrong time.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can only get non-rank up events during the day. I'm guessing you don't have enough points for make it to the next rank yet, so you can either draw fortunes until you feel you'll become closer soon, or spend time with him during the day.

Kanji on the other hand has the most carefully constructed texts:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
:negative: I read every book... except Fun with Numbers. Why do I not have Fun with Numbers?! I always do those social calls! Dammit! There goes my chance at finishing this trophy with ease.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

I'm so glad I went to the movies with Kanji. I fuckin' love Kanji.

Rise's texts are just as bad as I thought they would be.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Void Quest really is one of the best dungeons. Currently running through it with Kanji, Yosuke, and Teddie, and I love the music.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I don't think Charm is in Persona 4, though.
This is what happens when I read too much of the P3P LP before wandering over here to post. :downs:

I've only gotten past Yukiko's dungeon so far, but holy poo poo, the new Shuffle Time is ridiculous. Get one sweep set up, and you basically have no excuse for not sweeping every hand you get after that(until you get the one bullshit hand where it's 4 cards and none of them let you draw extra). I'm pretty sure that the times I have to take half XP/money to continue sweeping is far outweighed by the shitton of extra personas, skill cards, healing, and occassional persona level ups I've gotten.

I've also learned that I'm a huge jerk, since I couldn't resist scaring the gently caress out of Chie during the first thunderstorm day. I wanted to comfort her, but "tap her shoulder" was there & humor potential prevailed. :ohdear:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
May really is the best month to finish off Jester. Start the Link on the 13th, do the sauna dungeon in one day on the 19th (quite easy), fuse a Gurr, and head to Junes every day to see if he's there. You can wrap it all up by June 5th.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Anybody know any Personae that learn loving Auto-Sukukaja? Preferably one in mid-30s or below?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Anybody know any Personae that learn loving Auto-Sukukaja? Preferably one in mid-30s or below?
Matador learns it at level 29, but he's level 24 so unless you're high in the Death S. Link you'll have to grind him some. Ose learns it at level 35, and since he's fool he'll get there automatically I think.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Capsaicin posted:

I got it on a King Frost, though I couldn't tell you offhand where it came from.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Capsaicin posted:

Anzu at 20, Makami at 29, Matador at 29, and Ose at 35. Pretty sure I had Ose for it, although you basically have to take one of those guys and then fuse one of the components for Black Frost that way if you're doing what I assume is the request from Margaret.

It was even more annoying on the PS2 where you had to also contend with random skill inheritance.

For some of the later requests scanning this doc on GameFAQs is going to be your best friend ever.

amplifierWORSHIP
Jul 29, 2007

you're a man. let 'em dangle.
I'm a real big idiot, because I borrowed my friend's Vita to play this and got a good 40+ hours in. Got my AC3 white vita from the amazon sale, transferred his stuff back on, and didn't realize saves are on the memory card and not on the actual game cartridge. Still, I'm amazed at how improved and streamlined a lot of the mechanics are in this. I can't wait to get back to the Void Quest and Black Frost it once again in quick fashion.

If what I'm seeing in this thread is correct, is there an additional hot springs scene other than the girls wowing at Naoto's breasts bouncing? because that already made me feel sick

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

You can only get non-rank up events during the day. I'm guessing you don't have enough points for make it to the next rank yet, so you can either draw fortunes until you feel you'll become closer soon, or spend time with him during the day.

Hahaha this is amazing.

I remember Yosuke's being something like "OMG OMG Omgggg we hav 2 go see the new movie!!!" I love these new texts.

Also I forgot how effective both P3 and P4 are about making you feel something is off near the endgame, especially since the NPC conversations get gradually more and more desperate. I wonder what happens in the Winter, can't wait for new music after 50 hours of MY VISION, MY VISION

Hook
Jun 3, 2011

red knight

Nondevor posted:

Void Quest really is one of the best dungeons. Currently running through it with Kanji, Yosuke, and Teddie, and I love the music.

I was repeatedly impressed with this game and when I got to that dungeon I had to set it down for a bit because I could not understand how it kept surprising me. Having beaten it, I have some little gripes that can be easily shrugged off (I'm not entirely comfortable with its treatment of queer characters, and the epilogue seemed pointless and best ignored), but I have to say I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would going in.

I have 3 trophies left to get (one of which is Hardcore Risette Fan, ugh) but I am taking a break to play P3P, which is fun so far. It's interesting to see how mechanics changed between the two!

amplifierWORSHIP posted:

If what I'm seeing in this thread is correct, is there an additional hot springs scene other than the girls wowing at Naoto's breasts bouncing? because that already made me feel sick

Yes there is one after rescuing Marie in February. I was on break at work when I completed the dungeon and could not hit the skip button fast enough.

amplifierWORSHIP
Jul 29, 2007

you're a man. let 'em dangle.

Hook posted:

Yes there is one after rescuing Marie in February. I was on break at work when I completed the dungeon and could not hit the skip button fast enough.

ugh, well at least that is a ways off for me now. also i'd like to shake the hand of whoever gets that Rise trophy first because I can't imagine the time it would take to do so.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hook posted:

I was repeatedly impressed with this game and when I got to that dungeon I had to set it down for a bit because I could not understand how it kept surprising me. Having beaten it, I have some little gripes that can be easily shrugged off (I'm not entirely comfortable with its treatment of queer characters, and the epilogue seemed pointless and best ignored), but I have to say I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would going in.

I have 3 trophies left to get (one of which is Hardcore Risette Fan, ugh) but I am taking a break to play P3P, which is fun so far. It's interesting to see how mechanics changed between the two!

Actually P3P came out after vanilla P4, so they went and put some P4 elements back in P3. Confusing!

The original P3 and P3 FES did not let you control your party. At all. Mitsuru would keep spamming her status moves instead of using her strong ice magic when you needed it, and it was a dice roll whether your party would hit weaknesses you needed them to or just attack. There were also different types of physical attacks and your character could equip any of the party's weapons to take advantage of them. Resist Physical in P4 feels kinda broken because in P3 you needed 3 whole skills to resist all physical attacks.

Yeah I remember when I played this on PS2 I thought "Wow they actually bring up homosexuality and gender identity" but playing it again today that's pretty much all they do. Like Kanji even likes Naoto uh oh But she's a girl so it's ok in the end, and you can tell there was supposed to be a bit more to the Chie-Yukiko relationship that they kind of gloss over. Chie's shadow is a drat woman with a whip sitting over a pile of women, and a lot of the characters frequently refer to how she's not really a woman which she takes offense to. It feels like they had to change her character around a bit to give your guy the choice to date her which is a shame. Or maybe they wanted to give each character their dungeon story and do the rest in S Links and it just came out weird.

That said attitudes towards homosexuality have changed rapidly in the past couple of years and I remember this game seeming really progressive when it came out in 2008.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

MY VISION, MY VISION

I thought it was "your affection"?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I remember when I played this on PS2 I thought "Wow they actually bring up homosexuality and gender identity" but playing it again today that's pretty much all they do. Like Kanji even likes Naoto uh oh But she's a girl so it's ok in the end, and you can tell there was supposed to be a bit more to the Chie-Yukiko relationship that they kind of gloss over. Chie's shadow is a drat woman with a whip sitting over a pile of women, and a lot of the characters frequently refer to how she's not really a woman which she takes offense to. It feels like they had to change her character around a bit to give your guy the choice to date her which is a shame. Or maybe they wanted to give each character their dungeon story and do the rest in S Links and it just came out weird.

That said attitudes towards homosexuality have changed rapidly in the past couple of years and I remember this game seeming really progressive when it came out in 2008.

I think the whole point with Kanji is that he's giving in to the social fallacy of "lack of masculinity = homosexuality", which is what's causing his anxiety and issues, rather than him being outright gay (although the potential seems to be there for humor purposes). It's similar to what Rise and Naoto deal with regarding their identity and how society sees them. I think that's actually a running theme with everyone who gets their Personas.

The Chie/Yukiko thing and the other major character this involves does seem kinda weird. I think it's meant to be more understated than they seem at first sight, and there's no confirmation anywhere of exactly to what extent these things affect their relationship and Other Person's identity. There's also the ability to interpret it without regards to sexuality, which might have the same validity as the symbolism can be interpreted in many ways. (Edogawa's lectures can explain this a lot better than I ever can.) It's not like it's impossible, either, cause loads of people notice this stuff and the game does tease at the possibility at many points - so who knows, it could be one way or the other. It's up to the characters in the end, and we never really find out where they land.

on the other hand i have no explanation for the coronet armor :gonk:

By the way, what is Yomotsu Hirasaka supposed to be? Most of the dungeons are hugely symbolic or already pretty obvious (secret lab, bathhouse, etc.), but this one's a lot more abstract. I know that Yomotsu Hirasaka is the entrance to the underworld in Japanese mythology but I'm not sure if it's reflected in the game...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think the game handles that stuff about as well as it can in the context it takes place in, though I feel like there's a weird thing going with Naoto's story where the game is just as confused about whether she's transgendered or simply pretending to be more masculine for the sake of appearances as she's supposed to be.

I think it's important to mention that there's a lot of "eww gross gays" type dialogue from Yosuke, and it's actually integral to the construction of his character. He's a quintessential teenage boy, and he's clumsy: on his feet (the bike/trashcan), with women (Saki), with stuff (Chie's DVD), and with other peoples' feelings. When he freaks out about Kanji staying in the tent, the player's supposed to be laughing at what an insecure twit he is, not sympathizing with him.

EDIT: Maybe I'm giving it too much leeway or whatever, but I don't really concern myself overmuch with whether or not the way any of the PCs conducts themselves is "positive" with regards to Kanji or Naoto. They're teenagers, and teenagers go through identity crises and have difficulty understanding the plights of other people, and part of the charm of the game is that it constructs its characters fairly realistically instead of having them be authorial mouthpieces. I mean, the game is essentially about how self-denial will gently caress you up inside. That's a pretty queer-positive central theme.

Baku fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 10, 2012

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Probably had the best case scenario for 3 Wealth Hands in Kanji's dungeon.

MC crit one Wealth Hand, crit another on the One More. Yosuke proc's his follow up attack and knocks the third down. :clint:

All-Out Attack!

All 3 Wealth Hands still alive.

Chie and Yukiko's Twin Dragons :hellyeah:

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I thought it was "your affection"?

I think the whole point with Kanji...

I have no idea what the songs are saying half the time but it won't stop me trying to sing along

With Kanji it seems like the game goes back and forth between saying "He's gay" and "he's worried he's gay", which I guess is a normal thing for a 15 year old anyway. Like someone mentioned earlier it might be ambiguous on purpose.

As for Chie and Yukiko: Very close female friends, to the point that it's almost a lesbian relationship, are common enough in japan that they have a phrase for it (which I can't find right now :v: ) but I definitely felt that's what they were implying at one point

Pollyanna posted:

By the way, what is Yomotsu Hirasaka supposed to be? Most of the dungeons are hugely symbolic or already pretty obvious (secret lab, bathhouse, etc.), but this one's a lot more abstract. I know that Yomotsu Hirasaka is the entrance to the underworld in Japanese mythology but I'm not sure if it's reflected in the game...

Funny you brought up Edogawa's lectures because I'm pretty sure it's supposed to represent the collective unconscious. That's why in parts of it you see hundreds of rooms in the distance, and it doesn't have an obvious theme because it's not the mind of just one person like the others are. The symbolism might have gone right over my head though

• Locked thread