Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sammus posted:

I was debating on laying some C4 or a Mine on the middle of a bridge to kill any reinforcements that might arrive if I flubbed my assault on a base when I got spotted by a car crossing the bridge. I ran away and hid in some bushes while they got out and and began searching for me. They gave me an opening so I slipped in and planted C4 on the bumper of their car before slipping away to a nice vantage point where I could watch and wait.

Failing to locate me, they stepped back into their car and began driving back across the bridge. I let them get roughly half way before I blew their car off the bridge and into the ravine below.

The game is basically a SP of the Battlefield series dick moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

ChocNitty posted:

It's pretty impressive the unscripted things that can happen in this game.

I was driving to a radio tower and saw that I was approaching a cliff, and I bailed out of the car at the last second like James Dean in Rebel Without A Cause, and watched the car tumble down and explode. That caught the attention of a couple enemies who chased after me, but both got mauled to death by a bear before they reached me.

Thanks bear.

I left off in a safehouse to go piss, didn't pause or anything. When I came out all the south african guys or whatever were dead, everything was on fire, and standing around in the middle of all this was one lone tiger - clearly very proud of his work. Killed him, went about my business driving to a mission and runnig over 4-5 of those water buffalo on the way. My car looked like poo poo.
Started on the mission, I'm helplessly smashing Spacebar (it was E in the case, no idea why) to climb into a boat after clearing the way for Oliver, when a loving gator comes out of nowhere and pulls me under. No help from anyone, of course.

This was all in a span of about 5-10 minutes

e:

NESguerilla posted:

Also, can you skin manta rays and where the gently caress are all of the crocs? I have only seen 1 crocodile and it was a scripted part of a story mission.

Here you can have all my crocodiles. Please, take them.

they like cave entrances, if that helps

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 10, 2012

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I wish more people were playing the multiplayer. It's actually a pretty fun little diversion. Reminds me of Max Payne 3's multiplayer. It didn't need any online capabilities, but the game's mechanics make it surprisingly fun.

Yeah, I really like it. My go to gun as of now is the MP5 with Hot Rounds and an extended mag. The hip fire ability helps a lot too.

I finally got that Far Cry Outpost thing working and now I can decode twice as fast!

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Why did the pilot panic when he saw an arrow was fired at him? How could he possibly have known it was explosive tipped?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I wish more people were playing the multiplayer. It's actually a pretty fun little diversion. Reminds me of Max Payne 3's multiplayer. It didn't need any online capabilities, but the game's mechanics make it surprisingly fun.

I like it when it works, but (at least on PC) it barely does. I don't expect people to be playing it a month from now because the launch has been so poor.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Speedball posted:

drat. I think what changes on hard mode isn't the strength of enemies, but their number. I just found a pirate outpost that was Dog City. Literally, there were like six dogs in the center waiting for me to come near so they could rip me apart, on top of the pirates.

Can anyone else verify that difficulty just affects number because I would love to shoot more things than I already am.

Also if I'm coming up from normal will that affect anything?

harskarenjag
Mar 11, 2008
Any reason they got rid of a lot of the destructability of Far Cry 1/Crysis? I remember being able to cut trees in half with machine guns in some game and also destroy shanty houses and aluminum based buildings. That was loving awesome.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

harskarenjag posted:

Any reason they got rid of a lot of the destructability of Far Cry 1/Crysis? I remember being able to cut trees in half with machine guns in some game and also destroy shanty houses and aluminum based buildings. That was loving awesome.

That was the Crytek engine, this is the Dunia engine.
That said Dunia is basically capable of the same thing they just haven't bothered to implement it in any serious way.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Did I tell you guys? I got to see a Bengal Tiger!

But then...he...killed me.

Jason lets out a pretty good Archer WOOOOO at one point. Now I want Archer DLC. Hell, he even became king of the pirates at one point.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Swartz posted:

That was the Crytek engine, this is the Dunia engine.
That said Dunia is basically capable of the same thing they just haven't bothered to implement it in any serious way.

Dunia is CryEngine, just more modified.

I think it's a drat shame that they didn't implement the destructibility. Far Cry 3 on something like Frostbite 2 would have been amazing. I would have loved to sneak around a building planting C4 on each face of the wall and then pull the trigger and laugh in glee as it collapses onto a bunch of pirates. Ah Bad Company 2, how I miss thee.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 10, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

harskarenjag posted:

Well for one thing this is made by a different developer and on a different engine than the original Far Cry and Crysis.

Xaris posted:

Dunia is a Crytek engine; just more modified.

It has the original CryEngine used in the first Far Cry as its base architecture but it's so heavily modified the code is probably largely unrecognizable.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 10, 2012

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Go here (first island) if you want to see a guy laying on the beach puking

Also I am disappointed to say that it's not possible to shoot yourself with a properly shot arrow :(

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Factor Mystic posted:

Go here (first island) if you want to see a guy laying on the beach puking

Seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with him? You can't interact with him at all yet there he is spilling his guts out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So I jump down into some water and I guess a crocodile just kind of catches me with it's mouth because the very second I'm in the water I'm getting mauled. First time I've seen a croc and the first time I ever did the QTE kill thing correctly. Neat game, but man do I want to punch Jason in the face sometimes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I literally can't beat this game cause of the QTE near the end. Been watching this cutscene over and over for a half an hour :negative:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Vaas, you are seriously the least threatening villain ever. You sound like you've been sucking on helium, how can I take a bad guy seriously with that voice?

Just finished the 'reach the helicopter' mission. Managed to not get seen until I was almost right beside the thing. I took the first three guys down silently, snuck into the village, risked going onto the roof to take down the sniper, then I just sat under the house taking potshots. It took like half an hour, because I had to wait for the guys to run over, search around, then plod back to their normal routes.

Is there a way to do that full stealth? There isn't, right? Even if you have the Heavy takedown skill (can you even get that by that point?), there's a dog down the left path to ruin things.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

Vaas, you are seriously the least threatening villain ever. You sound like you've been sucking on helium, how can I take a bad guy seriously with that voice?

Vaas' voice acting is what makes him an effective villain.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

He does have a rather high-pitched voice but I think it's probably one of the scariest such I've ever heard.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Just finished it...loved it. Didn't love the ending though.
I really wish Vaas didn't die half-way through.
Also don't do what I did and sit through the credits. There's nothing at the end. :(

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

MasonF posted:

I so wish the same. When that sequence came up, I was like: That's the end of Vaas? Just like that?

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

MasonF posted:

Also don't do what I did and sit through the credits. There's nothing at the end. :(

Uhm....don't do this EVER. Seriously, s'what youtube was invented for my friend.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Kill some dogs with an RPG: A Far Cry 3 mission.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

zVxTeflon posted:

Kill some dogs with an RPG: A Far Cry 3 mission.

The only way to destroy the rabies is to blow the poo poo out it!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MasonF posted:

Just finished it...loved it. Didn't love the ending though.

And god drat those were the longest loving credits I've ever seen.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Speedball posted:

The only way to destroy the rabies is to blow the poo poo out it!

Bits of dog flew everywhere and I think I got some rabies in my mouth.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

zVxTeflon posted:

Bits of dog flew everywhere and I think I got some rabies in my mouth.

Hold X to bite the gently caress out of wildlife.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

But, but, that'd ruin the hide.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Capn Beeb posted:

It would be just like Rise of the Triad all over again!
They should make some Far Cry 3 DLC where you play as a rabid dog, that would unironically be fun.
edit: yes, like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXmYyROf8gE

MasonF fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 10, 2012

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Great game. Really enjoying the hell out of it - and surprisingly, there aren't many bugs!

My only real complaint is with the story, of all things.

In the first five minutes of game time, you're exposed to rape, murder, and human trafficking. But the flavor text of the items are "wacky" style.

I kind of wish they'd kept the serious tone - I was genuinely creeped out in the cave. Both Vaas and the person you meet who owns the large house are very, very well done characters. The WWII stuff lying around is evocative of some serious atmosphere. There's so much setting, it feels a little cheapened to have gone the easy idiocy on the item descriptions.

I would love to see a serious / scary game set in a place like this, with this engine.

Still, loving the game, just wish I were a little more into the story.

What worked for me was swimming around the water waiting for a shark to bite me. Then as soon as I had its attention, I would fast-swim over to a low shorline. Hop up, machine gun shark, dive back in the water.

Hyzenth1ay fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 10, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really like when games unlock some sort or re-arranged super hard mode after you beat it. I was a little disappointed to see there was nothing like it but it did get me thinking. It would be really cool of there was a mode where tagging only worked while you were in the veiwfinder, and you could actually take pictures and review them. You'd pretty much have to stake out each outpost from every angle and access where the enemies where. It would be a lot more tense without completely leaving you in the dark.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

I really like when games unlock some sort or re-arranged super hard mode after you beat it. I was a little disappointed to see there was nothing like it but it did get me thinking. It would be really cool of there was a mode where tagging only worked while you were in the veiwfinder, and you could actually take pictures and review them. You'd pretty much have to stake out each outpost from every angle and access where the enemies where. It would be a lot more tense without completely leaving you in the dark.
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't turning off the Weapon tagging in the options menu relegate it to you only being able to use the camera to tag? I think this is what you're hinting at.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

NESguerilla posted:

This is one of my biggest complaints with the game, it's fairly pathetically easy. The AI is godawful and it's possible to clear outposts with little to no effort undetected, melee or long-ranged. The weapons are too reliable (I know that sounds weird) so the frantic nature of the combat from Far Cry 2 is missing, also the foliage is less dynamic in this game as well, trees don't really sway in the wind like they did in Far Cry 2, you can't shoot down limbs of trees or really blow apart smaller shacks, accidentally blowing up ammo crates in the second game was far more dangerous and just in general significantly more explosive.
There are a bunch of other things as well, Far Cry 2 was in general significantly more immersive (the UI in this game is a pretty big example of why it felt so incredibly "videogamey"), the sound design was better, for guns, the environment, the enemy barks (there were way more of them as well), also, as pretty as Far Cry 3 is, it's not that big of a step up from Far Cry 2, pop Far Cry 2 in on max settings and a lot of what makes Far Cry 3 look better is just the added DX11 functionality and a much better use of color, along with the obvious character models, the environment and etc. however, doesn't look significantly worse, the engine barely feels much different, which is less of a visual issue for me and just proof that Far Cry 3 just has a few mechanical differences that makes it better, yet at the same time Ubisoft made some very regressive decisions.

This game is faster paced, it's less repetitive, there's more to do, finding money for weapons and upgrades is more entertaining, the side missions are better and more dynamically integrated with the environment, the animals have greater presence, sprinting and etc. is significantly faster, as is your general movement speed and that of vehicles.
Essentially, they removed a lot of the fat but stripped away much of what was great in Far Cry 2. In that sense it's disappointing, a experience with more fun, but generally it just feels less meaty, exciting, and visceral than Far Cry 2 because it's just, for lack of a better phrase, that sort of slick, buttery smooth gameplay that is the AAA standard, it's too bad that that kind of gameplay is just rather dull and has little to no crunch to it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I really wish the outpost system was a little more complex. They should have been more heavily staffed, with guard shifts, regular patrols along the roads and through the jungles, and supply convoys shifting stuff between bases. I'm thinking back to MGS3 where there were supply depots you could blow up to reduce the enemy's food or weapons supply, which would have a tangible effect on enemy troops you encountered in the area. I love ambushing convoys, and it would have rocked to have some driving around for me to blow up and/or hijack, and for that to actually affect the gameplay in a meaningful way. I also would have loved to see huge, fortified bases that could only be successfully taken after capturing all of the outposts around them.

Something else I would have liked to see is teams of particularly skilled enemies deployed specifically to hunt you down once your reputation gets high enough, sneaking around quietly through the jungle to ambush you occasionally if you don't keep your head on a swivel.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My god, the boss fights in this are godawful, aren't they? A lovely QTE knife fight, a really stupid giant... tiki god... thing... and now I'm at Vaas and holy poo poo. Just dying constantly because he can pop up wherever. Dumb dumb dumb.

For a game that's so much god drat fun normally, the storyline missions and boss fights sure are poo poo.

E: ...That was it? Holy crap.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 10, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

I really wish the outpost system was a little more complex. They should have been more heavily staffed, with guard shifts, regular patrols along the roads and through the jungles, and supply convoys shifting stuff between bases. I'm thinking back to MGS3 where there were supply depots you could blow up to reduce the enemy's food or weapons supply, which would have a tangible effect on enemy troops you encountered in the area. I love ambushing convoys, and it would have rocked to have some driving around for me to blow up and/or hijack, and for that to actually affect the gameplay in a meaningful way. I also would have loved to see huge, fortified bases that could only be successfully taken after capturing all of the outposts around them.

Something else I would have liked to see is teams of particularly skilled enemies deployed specifically to hunt you down once your reputation gets high enough, sneaking around quietly through the jungle to ambush you occasionally if you don't keep your head on a swivel.

These are actually really great ideas.

There's this game for the Vita, Shinobido 2. It's a ninja game, kinda clunky mechanically, but you optionally take on missions for one of three factions and you will inevitably get missions that will strengthen or weaken one of the sides (one side may get a new weapon, one side may lose their grain supply and have weaker soldiers, etc.) Something like that, here...hmm....

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ChibiSoma posted:

My god, the boss fights in this are godawful, aren't they? A lovely QTE knife fight, a really stupid giant... tiki god... thing... and now I'm at Vaas and holy poo poo. Just dying constantly because he can pop up wherever. Dumb dumb dumb.

For a game that's so much god drat fun normally, the storyline missions and boss fights sure are poo poo.

E: ...That was it? Holy crap.

Boss fights in FPS games are generally god-awful, the genre has real trouble of introducing difficulty without enormous HP sponges or enemies that outclass you by pure bullshit tactics rather than anything resembling effective AI.

Everything from the Cyberdemon in Doom to Human Revolution.
One of the few recent FPS games I've seen with great boss fights was the Syndicate reboot, but that game was more mechanically intense than Far Cry 3.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Please make the next FarCry have gameplay pretty much like this (except the lovely bossfights) and give me back the kickass mutant powers of Instincts.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Hey guys, I've decided to start recording an informative video series on Far Cry 3. The first video is on supply drops. Please tell me what you think and if there's anything I should add! :)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

Hey guys, I've decided to start recording an informative video series on Far Cry 3. The first video is on supply drops. Please tell me what you think and if there's anything I should add! :)

Yeah, that looks about right. Very accurate and succinct, I would say!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Looks like a drunk driving PSA for how awesome drunk driving is.

• Locked thread