Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz9QZAb6sHE

I have way too much fun with kicks and dung in this game.

Nice video dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
e: /\/\/\/\How are you taking so little damage from attacks? I'm not accusing you of cheating or anything, I just want to know what your gear is.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The chances of 3 slabs in one trip has to be pretty similar to winning the lottery. I realize that's what you're saying but... seriously. Like probably literally.

The chances of winning the Powerball are something like 1:460,000,000,000. I have never been that lucky with random chance in my life, and never again.

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 10, 2012

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I got my first hate mail!

This invadin' thing is where it's at.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

NeurosisHead posted:

e: /\/\/\/\How are you taking so little damage from attacks? I'm not accusing you of cheating or anything, I just want to know what your gear is.

Here's my build. Honestly? I think the people I invaded were just using lovely weapons.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
It's probably more the fact that most people do PvP videos that are in NG+ with weapons that do a million damage. Gimmick videos need love too.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

CodfishCartographer posted:

Here's my build. Honestly? I think the people I invaded were just using lovely weapons.

That's pretty brilliant man. I wish I was better at pvp in this game.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

NeurosisHead posted:

That's pretty brilliant man. I wish I was better at pvp in this game.

Thanks, the build isn't even that optimized - I have some fun points in int for chameleoning, and accidentally put some points into DEX early before deciding on the build I wanted to go for and was too lazy to restart. Getting good at PVP really just takes lots of practice. Darkwraithing was the best way to get practice for me, since you don't really lose anything by trying it and you can get tons of invasions if you're smart about location and level choice. I used to darkmoon a lot, but basically all you'll get are twinked out invaders who are pvp masters, so it's a bad idea to start with that covenant if you want some pvp. Forest Covenant has a similar issue.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Itchy Bear Dong posted:

I really gotta get a .gif of my bro killing the taurus.

at 48 minutes http://www.twitch.tv/fordalla/b/346795028

I just realized that your brother had my bloodstain from my fall death against Lautrec. Not my proudest moment.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, the Iron Golem knocked me right off the edge with that knock-you-into-the-air move, and Tarkus delivered the final blow while I was in the process of falling to my death, so I won at the same time that I died.

And then my bloodstain was, uh...

Here.

...and un-retrievable.

:darksouls:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The correct course of action is to take a wild leap off the edge and try to grab it on the way down, on the off-chance it'll appear somewhere feasible next time. :v:

Also: That section of the rooftops you're overlooking. Does anyone know if that's reachable at all? I spent a while poking around Sen's and had no luck, but Dark Souls seems to have a lot of "if you can see it, you can get there" places.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

cat doter posted:

I got my first hate mail!

I do like that he complains about being awful at the game while shouting at you, at least he's honest about it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mazed posted:

Also: That section of the rooftops you're overlooking. Does anyone know if that's reachable at all? I spent a while poking around Sen's and had no luck, but Dark Souls seems to have a lot of "if you can see it, you can get there" places.

It is. You can kill the giant that opened the gates for you in the cutscene for an extra titanite chunk, too! I think you have to do a strategic drop from the part with the tiny walkway leading up to the crossbow dude, either that or an invisible wall. I can't remember.

EDIT:

I started the game over on a new character who only double-hands huge weapons while being COMICALLY skinny. At the moment I am awaiting co-op partners at the gargoyles.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

TalonDemonKing posted:

Dark Souls II specultation: You are Atorias.

That random lady is Cirian.

I was actually thinking the random lady was Velka, she's got the hair and the bird thing for it, and it's hardly the first god in Dark Souls who just hangs out as a person.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It is. You can kill the giant that opened the gates for you in the cutscene for an extra titanite chunk, too! I think you have to do a strategic drop from the part with the tiny walkway leading up to the crossbow dude, either that or an invisible wall. I can't remember.

I'm pretty sure you get there by invisible wall. If you drop down into the swampy area with Titanite Demons in Sen's and climb up the ladder,that tiny rear end room as a hidden wall.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I started the game over on a new character who only double-hands huge weapons while being COMICALLY skinny. At the moment I am awaiting co-op partners at the gargoyles.

Make the head even bigger.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fun fact: in order to make Elite Cleric not look absurd, you have to make everything but your head two sizes thinner than average. Then it looks normal.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Calico Noose posted:

I was actually thinking the random lady was Velka, she's got the hair and the bird thing for it, and it's hardly the first god in Dark Souls who just hangs out as a person.

She might be the narrator from the first game intro, somehow connected to the Lord Souls, a random firekeeper etc. I really think the setting will take place far away from Lordran to explore the fate of the undead in the rest of the world. Everything up north behind the wall has been explored in Dark Souls 1, so if its all new like they've been talking about then it'll be in new lands.

According to the new director, he wants to make the game/story/lore more accessible, so there might be much more talkative and prominent NPC's and quest givers. I'm still enraptured by the overall presentation in Dark Souls, but I would really like more opportunities to learn about the people and places in the game.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Hey dudes. Do any of you know how well this game sold on PC?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dreggon posted:

Make the head even bigger.

Better? It was at the normal 0 so I set it to 3.5 :v:

Also, comically thin Chet is a popular summon! I've gotten summoned three times so far, which is surprising because it's like 5 in the morning where I am, when the game is usually almost dead.

EDIT: BOAR HEAD BROS UNITE! YESSSSSS THIS IS THE BEST

We got killed by a hacking invader that had a weapon that somehow inflicted toxic, though. :smith:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 10, 2012

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

CJacobs posted:

EDIT: BOAR HEAD BROS UNITE! YESSSSSS THIS IS THE BEST

We got killed by a hacking invader that had a weapon that somehow inflicted toxic, though. :smith:

That's me in the gold! The second I saw you summoned too I had to put mine on as well Praise the Pig!

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

CJacobs posted:

There are a bunch of real weapons that inflict toxic, dude who is hacking to make his character look freakish :ssh:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

SurrealityCheck posted:

Hey dudes. Do any of you know how well this game sold on PC?

Well enough that Dark Souls 2 is allegedly slated for a PC release as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

superh posted:

There are a bunch of real weapons that inflict toxic, dude who is hacking to make his character look freakish :ssh:

I wasn't calling him a hacker in a negative connotation other than to point out he was doing so but thanks for the info, I had no idea.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Soloed O+S with my SL4* (Started 3, upped to 4 to one hand the fury sword) Dark Wraith candidate yesterday. Was well pleased.

* 3rd attempt for this character. 1st I completed but deleted by accident in my haste to invade a streamer, 2nd I accidentally upset Kaathe. 3rd I'm backing up my save before talking to him. And after, just in case.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

superh posted:

Only three things I know of that cause toxic are the gravelord greatsword, dung pies, and toxic cloud. I wouldn't be surprised if the manticore tail does, as well, but I never checked. What else does?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dark Silver Tracer's R2.

That's it. Dark Silver Tracer and Gravelord Sword are the only wieldable weapons that do it.

The Guardian Tail only inflicts poison.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

The Dark Silver Tracer's R2.

E: f;b

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Are either of the ghost blades viable weapons? I've only had a jagged ghost blade but the r2 makes me laugh so I'm wondering if its worth upgrading.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Viable for PvP? Not really.

PvE? Everything is.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Are either of the ghost blades viable weapons? I've only had a jagged ghost blade but the r2 makes me laugh so I'm wondering if its worth upgrading.

Jagged's fine for PvE, I use it all the time on lower SL runs or while setting up low-SL gimmick runs.

Regular Ghost Blade is a mythical weapon that does not actually exist, ignore any evidence to the contrary.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

With the above in mind, anyone want a Ghost Blade?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

As I recently found, the jagged ghost blade is one of the more useful SL1 run weapons. It has its uses in normal combat and upgrading it CAN make it a pretty good weapon but really it's mostly effective against ghosts when you're out of transient curses or something.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

CJacobs posted:

As I recently found, the jagged ghost blade is one of the more useful SL1 run weapons. It has its uses in normal combat and upgrading it CAN make it a pretty good weapon but really it's mostly effective against ghosts when you're out of transient curses or something.

It also causes bleed and has a combo attack, allowing you to make bleed faster than the morning star or reinforced club.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

As for the regular Ghost Blade...

Well, it has the highest base damage out of any dagger. With no scaling except E in strength. Yes, a dagger with zero dex scaling whatsoever.

Thus, it is the best dagger for SL1 runs.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 10, 2012

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Man, this game, I am so consumed by it, it's not even funny. I'm not the best, I've mostly been hiding behind a shield and stabbing things with a spear or sword, but 4 Kings was kicking my face in. Decided to try this "man mode" bit by 2h'ing a black knight's halberd (I had to go naked because I was slow as hell otherwise) and uh.. I'm friggin addicted. I want to kill everything while being naked and running around with a 2h halberd. The only time I put on my shield now is for archers.

The only time it's failed me badly is pvp, I was modeling armor in Duke's and some guy invaded and pretty much obliterated me, not that I was surprised but well, that's what you get for being naked and taking screenshots of your awesome mimic head. I have no regrets

I also got this, so my *personal* DS quest is complete.. but now I just have to figure out the rest of the game and then NG+ it so I can fix a few of the screw ups I made on my first playthru.

I need to go home already....

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yea yea Dark Souls.

Hey, do you guys have pictures of the last unused model that got added with Artorias of the Abyss DLC, Undead King somethingsomething? Gibbed posted the player version of his armor I believe but I can't find it.

I also can't find his art from the artbook either.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
I know the following has come up before in the thread, but I couldn't find it and the OP makes no mention of this stuff (although if you want to scroll through a full page of "hilarious" useless FAQs it sure is the best!)

1.) 360 Controller - I think that being able to switch the bumper and trigger functions would greatly improve the gameplay and comfort of holding the controller for me. What's the best recommended way to do this? I couldn't find any built-in way to adjust this in the options within the game. Do I need to tweak some ini files or something?

2.) Multiplayer - I know that this is buggy at best, but I have never, ever been able to summon a PC or successfully drop my white soapstone sign. I've been invaded plenty but I can't get any co-op to work, ever. It's super rare to even get summon signs to appear, and when I click them the summoning always fails. (I am sure I'm within the proper SL levels too). Additionally, my white soapstone is never, ever usable. I'll play online for hours and the white soapstone will never light up to indicate it can be used. Is there any kind of trick to setting ports or router settings to help the co-op work better?

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 10, 2012

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mental Midget posted:

2.) Multiplayer - I know that this is buggy at best, but I have never, ever been able to summon a PC or successfully drop my white soapstone sign. I've been invaded plenty but I can't get any co-op to work, ever. It's super rare to even get summon signs to appear, and when I click them the summoning always fails. (I am sure I'm within the proper SL levels too). Additionally, my white soapstone is never, ever usable. I'll play online for hours and the white soapstone will never light up to indicate it can be used. Is there any kind of trick to setting ports or router settings to help the co-op work better?

You can't use pvp items in some areas. Like you can't use them in the area around Andre; that's why people generally place summon signs right at the side entrance of the church.

As for summonings failing, that might just be the lovely netcode. Sometimes I'm able to summon people easily, other times it never works.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mental Midget posted:

I know the following has come up before in the thread, but I couldn't find it and the OP makes no mention of this stuff (although if you want to scroll through a full page of "hilarious" useless FAQs it sure is the best!)

1.) 360 Controller - I think that being able to switch the bumper and trigger functions would greatly improve the gameplay and comfort of holding the controller for me. What's the best recommended way to do this? I couldn't find any built-in way to adjust this in the options within the game. Do I need to tweak some ini files or something?

As far as I know, there are only three times your white soapstone isn't usable:

1) Offline Mode
2) Whilst being invaded
3) In specific "transition areas" - these are sometimes near bonfires, sometimes just at major level transitions, but as far as I know they're never, ever in the middle of levels - next time you play just leave your soapstone up all the time, and see what happens.

My immediate hunch is that you're in offline mode since you can't drop your own sign, or you're trying to do it in transition areas. If you're around the right SL, the silver knight bonfire in Anor Londo (ie the one just past the archers) is a really, really good spot to pick up summons, as tons of people need help with O&S.

Past that, I got nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I would like someone able to invade an SL27 to Darkmoon me.

In exchange for doing this three times, I will give you multiple Souvenirs of Reprisal, Dragon Scales, and a Titanite Slab.

• Locked thread